Myrtlezap's safety concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollykok

I was wondering if there has been any concrete evidence either supporting or thwarting the concern of Myrtlezap's safety.

Myrtlezap has been known to use brass parts, and a brass heating element, which can create some uncertainty as to whether or not it is safe.

I'm assuming (hoping) the creator has done some research on the safety of the brass parts and heating element when inhaled after being heated to close to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, before selling this product to the crowds of consumers. But he never mentions it or provides evidence in either direction.

Not to mention the original name of the Myrtlezap was Aromazap, and they use exactly the same internal parts and mechanisms. This can be a cause of concern because the name, Aromazap, implies that it would be used mainly for the diffusion of aromatherapy oils, and not for inhalation by human beings.

How can we safely go from the mere heated diffusion of oils (which would not have to limit exposure of any toxins) to perfectly safe inhalation by a human without the changing of any parts? It's not impossible, but slightly improbable, and it would be a cause of alarm for any intelligent being.

Brass also contains lead, and even though 400 degrees Fahrenheit is far from the vaporization temperature of lead, one educated in science would know that there are still lead particles (very few, but some nonetheless) which are vaporizing even when at a lower temperature.

The maker of this product makes no definitive claim or guarantee of safety on his products (nor does he even defend their safety on the forum), which is also very suspect.

Can anyone shine some actual non-anecdotal light on this pressing issue of safety?

pollykok,

pollykok

Yeah sorry bro if this is a touchy subject for you, but there has been no concrete answer laid out.

And I used the search function.

pollykok,

Qbit

cannabanana
Well just look at the Myrtlezap thread - they're all loony! And we only hear from those who are still sane enough to post. All the others are aimlessly wandering around yelling at the trees. :mad::ko:

The PD thread, on the other hand, is all Kumbaya shit and holding hands and dancing in circles in meadows of daffodils. But it's going to come to a head when the seething hordes of Zap zombies gather for their final attack. Ah, now I know what 2012 will be all about. ;)

Qbit,

lwien

Qbit said:
Well just look at the Myrtlezap thread - they're all loony! And we only hear from those who are still sane enough to post. All the others are aimlessly wandering around yelling at the trees. :mad::ko:

The PD thread, on the other hand, is all Kumbaya shit and holding hands and dancing in circles in meadows of daffodils.
:D:D:D:D Now THAT was a real knee-slapper. Thanks............lol.

lwien,

pollykok

Qbit said:

The PD thread, on the other hand, is all Kumbaya shit and holding hands and dancing in circles in meadows of daffodils. But it's going to come to a head when the seething hordes of Zap zombies gather for their final attack. Ah, now I know what 2012 will be all about. ;)
Haha now that is some funny satire :)

But I am looking for some less anecdotal evidence, because even though the 50 people who use the Myrtlezap on a regular basis have not reported any self-diagnosed complications yet, doesn't mean it can't exist.

Before the lead scares no one was making fun of people who used lead, calling them loony, even though now many people have been diagnosed with lead poisoning and one would be highly advised against using or working with such materials.

For all we know, Myrtlezap could be the next iteration of the lead painted children's toy, and if we just use it because the last person that used it hasn't died yet, well that's just Darwin's law at work.

pollykok,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Qbit, you one funny cat.

Polly... Unleaded brass contains a very very small amount of lead. They are used for smoking screens and pipes. It is a food/medical safe product. There are people who have been smoking daily out of the same brass Protopipe for 20 or 30 years. They have been making those baddies since the 70's, and a lot of the old school heads i know have been using them that long. I guess you could say those guys are slightly nuts, but at least they are alive.

That being said stainless steel has much less risk involved. It's a choice thing. I choose to stop smoking herb. I vaporize only now. If you have concerns on brass as a vaporization element, don't buy a MZ. Problem solved. Or if you have worries for mankind, just go to your local tobacco store and petition outside with signs because they sell brass screens. Better save the world. Maybe start with cigarettes.

IAmKrazy2,

VapoFish

As a long time ProtoPiper, I'm with Krazy. :2c:

Qbit: that's some funny shit :D

:peace:

VapoFish,

aero18

vaporist
Don't you all think that more people would by the Myrtlezaps if they contained steel instead of brass parts? What's up with the hesitance of moving over to this instead?

I know it's Rick's product and he can do whatever he wishes with it but it would certainly dispel some negative rumors/arguments towards it.

I don't see much rationalism behind it.

aero18,

Frickr

aero18 said:
Don't you all think that more people would by the Myrtlezaps if they contained steel instead of brass parts? What's up with the hesitance of moving over to this instead?

I know it's Rick's product and he can do whatever he wishes with it but it would certainly dispel some negative rumors/arguments towards it.
maybe offer 2 styles of heaters. the original and a stainless design? i mean there is only 2 companies making this style of vape, so why cant there be a little inovation still? I myself would be intrested in one if it were to offer a stainless design, not so much for the health concerns as with taste concerns for me. I have a sensitive pallette for brass, i can always seem to taste it, even if i just see it, from smoking out of a brass pipe...

Frickr,

lwien

IAmKrazy2 said:
There are people who have been smoking daily out of the same brass Protopipe for 20 or 30 years. They have been making those baddies since the 70's, and a lot of the old school heads i know have been using them that long. I guess you could say those guys are slightly nuts, but at least they are alive.
Those guys? Dattsa me !!! :cool:

But, now that I'm aware of the dangers of lead, I choose not to use my ProtoPipe anymore nor do I use brass screens in my glass pipes. While I admit that the lead content and the low vaping temps we expose it to may not pose a big hazard, I choose to try and limit those lead hazards anywhere I find them.

It's all a risk/reward ratio. If a brass product tasted better, got me higher, and conserved my weed more, I'd probably be using a brass product. Haven't found that to be the case yet though.

lwien,

Purple-Days

What Polly is asking for is: A non-anecdotal confirmation that the lead in Leaded Brass is safe as some have claimed.

That would mean a real person's name and credentials (degrees, and related real world experience) and the date (science is not a stationary event) when they make any claims about the safety of leaded brass in this application.

This would also include the type of brass the 'expert' was considering when making these statements. Not all brass is the same. VVV

Krazy says,"Unleaded brass contains a very very small amount of lead." Is that a typo? Unleaded brass contains zero lead. BTW Non-Leaded-Brass is available. Beezleb said, it took very little time to find sources of non-leaded brass, with a quick Google search. Matter of fact by definition brass is, Tin and Copper only. However for machine-ability Lead is added to the alloy, making it a Leaded Brass Alloy.

How much lead? We don't know because the alloy numbers have never been published. Assuming it is low leaded brass is just an assumption, at this point, and there is no evidence to support that assumption.

Leaded Brass can contain from 0.25% lead (the latest 2010 California plumbing standard for which alloys are being developed) and up to 8.0% or more lead content, depending on the alloy. Again it depends on the alloy and with many, many alloys available there is no way to know until the mfg. publishes his numbers and sources.

Frickr and Aero18, at this point, wouldn't it seem self incriminating, for someone who claims Leaded Brass is 100% safe, to offer a 'safer' alternative? Just asking... :cool:

Seperate subject (sorta): Is there any evidence that the brass Proto-pipe contains lead? Again, we see only assumptions. Not saying it does or doesn't, but they are available in stainless, I believe I saw...

And every head shop has stainless screens as an alternative to the cheap brass screens we all used 'back in the day'. Back when we all used Leaded Gasoline and Leaded Paint.

As always, I make no claim about the safety, or hazards, of leaded brass. But based on the 30 years evidence about lead exposure I make a personal choice to limit my family's exposure in any way that I can. :2c:

Purple-Days,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Reposting this from the Zap thread.

I asked a very knowledgeable biochemist who specializes in air quality testing and loves vaporizers. He was not worried about lead exposure-- If the Zap was getting hot enough to emit metallic fumes it would be burning the fuck out of your weed.

one educated in science would know that there are still lead particles (very few, but some nonetheless) which are vaporizing even when at a lower temperature.
Sources?

The maker of this product makes no definitive claim or guarantee of safety on his products (nor does he even defend their safety on the forum), which is also very suspect.
Rick has stated his position on the matter several times.

It's also suspect when someone registers an account here to make a thread like this. Raising the alarm while providing zero proof. Just as bad as threads that claim you're inhaling aluminum dust from ceramic heating elements.

Are you aware that all (afaik) ecigarette atomizers are made of brass? Probably 20000 times more people using those. Check out e-cigarette-forum.com

vtac,

reece

Hey Polly, try researching the issue.

I searched for almost a month on .gov and .edu sites exclusively and could find no evidence of danger. So I bought a MyrtleZap. Asking here will only get you anecdotal evidence.

Personally, I think with all these years of producing smoking accessories made of brass, we would have heard something by now. Of course, this doesn't mean there won't be something conclusive in the future.

On the non-.edu/.gov side:

We are concerned about the lead in brass but I've seen some who are concerned with the copper in brass.

I've seen some questions about the safety of smoking out of aluminum foil. The only response was to use stainless steel or brass to be safe, and use glass to be more safe.

I've also seen a list of non-toxic fishing weights (alternatives to lead fishing weights) and brass weights were included.

Also, I'm pretty sure the name is still AromaZap. A MyrtleZap is an AromaZap made from myrtle wood. And, if you look at the web site, you'll see it explicitly states it is used for diffusing essential oils and inhaling vaporized herbs. That is the Zap part of AromaZap. There is no dishonesty in the name.

I may be wrong but I'm calling BS on this. If you searched you would know there is nothing but anecdotes and hearsay and the issue has been discussed extensively. I think this was meant to stir something up. I apologize if I am mistaken but that is the way it comes across to me.

reece,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
The aromazap serves the exact same purpose as the myrtle zap just to clear up that little confusion.

bluntfaced,

reece

Qbit said:
Well just look at the Myrtlezap thread - they're all loony!
LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!

Oops, sorry dude, I thought you were that tree that keeps making fun of me.

reece,

aero18

vaporist
reece said:
I may be wrong but I'm calling BS on this. If you searched you would know there is nothing but anecdotes and hearsay and the issue has been discussed extensively. I think this was meant to stir something up. I apologize if I am mistaken but that is the way it comes across to me.
Still, what's the deal of not switching over to steel? I doubt many people would have any health concerns whatsoever, despite the fact that the rumor may not have any real backing.

I know I would pay more for stainless steel just because I'm a bit paranoid. :lol:

aero18,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom