My Other Hobby,What's Yours?

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Hey guys!

While vaping and partaking of the joys of cannabis is a big hobby of mine, I've finally been able to start back up my favorite hobby, saltwater fish!

Since we moved into a bigger, better space, the wife told me I was finally able to get things going again!

I have a 6' long, 150 gallon fish-only saltwater tank, currently with four inhabitants. I'll list them in alphabetical order of their common names:

Constantine, the Emperor Angelfish: black and blue swirls
Lip (Shameless reference) the Foxface: yellow body with black/white face
Kreiger (named for the Archer mad scientist), the Harlequin Tusk: Orange and Blue, with BLUE TEETH!!
Oso (kid picked the name lol), the Yellow-eyed Kole Tang: Dark purple with bright yellow circles around the eye.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
For the past 10 years or so I've been flying mini RC helicopters and drones inside the house for fun. I had a few larger outdoor ones, but nothing I was comfortable flying on a windy day, because I hated Line-of-sight flying (often get the controls reversed and crash the damn things!).

I saw all those fancy videos of people racing FPV drones with wireless video transmitters and dreamed of the day I could set myself free with a drone in the skies.

I wanted to wait for the FPV racing technology advance to a stage where it's essentially plug-n-play so I could crash, rebuild, and fly again without wasting much time or money. Finally this year I took the leap with a micro drone, and knew right away I found my true hobby - FPV drone racing.

I'm still learning how to race, but I'm having a blast. Here's my current outdoor setup - a KingKong 90gt (90mm wheelbase brushless), with a Fatshark Attitude 10th anniversary edition goggles, and a Taranis x9d transmitter.

Vi1ztLy.jpg

I've already got a handful of FPV drones I'm starting to build and fly, really looking forward to capturing some sweet freestyle flight videos to share with the world!

I've also started to build some TinyWhoop Micro FPVs because you can fly them indoors when it's a rainy day and they have excellent handling. I'm hoping to host some indoor race events at a local bar on their off-days :lol:

Farid

My other hobby is military simulation. The best event I went to was operation eastwind, where I portrayed a member of the 7th ROTA, a Soviet reconnaissance division stationed on the border between East and West Germany in 1989. I spend 9 days camping in real soviet gear, driving real soviet vehicles, and using real soviet radios (until they shit the bed, then we were forced to use Czech radios). The events I go to mostly use airsoft, although some use blanks, or MILES. I have also portrayed a Croatian soldier during Operation Storm in a simulation based on the war in Bosnia, a member of the Afghan Taliban, and a member of the People's Army of North Vietnam. Yeah, I like being the OpFor; I find the "good guys" usually have more people, so somebody has to do it.

Last edited:

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
I've known people that do Civil War reenactments. I'm always astonished with the realism, historicity, and dedication LARPers (I apologize if that's not the same thing) have to their craft.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Pffffffff.. Had people making fun of me for. My hobby being .. "getting more hobbies"

But now a days it's pretty relaxed with fishing, camping, running, video games, cartoons and electronic tinkering

Plants and growing used to be one but that turned into a full time job as I run a company that grows edible crops a.k.a farmer

Also aquarium keeping but just running a shrimp tank atm

And kayaking but that goes with fishing/camping

Farid

I've known people that do Civil War reenactments. I'm always astonished with the realism, historicity, and dedication LARPers (I apologize if that's not the same thing) have to their craft.

Thanks, it's pretty close to reenactments in terms of using real gear, but like LARP in that there are hit rules, and not just acting/using blanks. Unlike regular airsoft, however, these events do not have much shooting. I got in 2 firefights the entire 9 days. Since we were a recon unit our task was to identify troop movements, radio the positions back to our commanding officer, and to wait for East German reinforcements to engage any enemy. The only time we directly engaged the enemy was when we set up an ambush, laying landmines accross a road, and waiting 12 hours for a West German patrol to come by. We ended up capturing them with no casualties, if I recall correctly.

hinglemccringleberry

I pay money each month to get my ass kicked by Brazilian JiuJitsu practitioners. My original hobby though was music and bands, rock stuff, I won't say which instrument I play but I wasn't able to make a career out of it (trying to do so in 2017 is like playing the lotto). It's still my side hustle though as I'm sorta in a cover band that gets a small handful of paid gigs each year.

Last edited:

Katnip

I won't say which instrument I play but I wasn't able to make a career out of it (trying to do so in 2017 is like playing the lotto

it was bass wasn't it. lol. no, it was KEYS. Nobody uses keys anymore.

Katnip,
Reactions: Hjalmark

Katnip

I dabble in wood, ceramic, textile, leather, wire, and stonework. I also love camping, hiking, anything outside that isn't a team sport. I'm a little clumsy enough to lose the game for everybody, plus my sight's not all that great. I wouldn't know where the ball was til it hit me right between the eyes. I also love my garden. :brow:

And if I'm looking to do something that can blow off accumulated steam, there's always metal shows! :rockon:<this headbanging thing needs hair.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Nice setup Ratchet! I am also hugely into all aspects of RC. Giant scale airplanes and night flying are my weaknesses but I also have the FPV bug...

How you liking your Taranis? I've been using a Horus the last year but do not like it as much as I like the Taranis. But I think I am going to go back to Futaba or Jeti for my giants. I am falling in love with Jeti DS-16 but the cost has been off-putting.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Nice setup Ratchet! I am also hugely into all aspects of RC. Giant scale airplanes and night flying are my weaknesses but I also have the FPV bug...

Thanks! I was never really "into" RC stuff before I added FPV into the mix. It's a completely different experience for me now, I rarely fly LOS these days :lol:

I just love that feeling I get when throwing my KingKong into a turn and practically feeling the drone fighting against momentum to fly in the opposite direction, almost like "drifting" in mid air. Although I'm still getting the hang of these brushless drones - SOOO much thrust power available compared to all my indoor brushed motor drones :rockon:

How you liking your Taranis?

The Taranis was my first real transmitter, everything I've flown till now had it's own shitty RTF transmitter. I was quite confused by the lack of setup instructions, but after about 3-4 hours of youtubing I figured out enough to get my KingKong bound and flying. Still learning a ton of new tricks every time I play with it.

I really haven't used anything else so I can't compare, but I'm more than happy with the setup (although I need a nicer racing drone with OSD and a buzzer so I can find the bastard when I crash!)

mark1988

Motocross and fly fishing are my two main hobbies. Nothing beats getting out in the good outdoors. The fishing is relaxing and the motocross is a complete buzz. No time to think of any of lifes problems while you are ripping up the track. Always feels great after a hard weeks work

Top Bottom