Music from the mid 60's to late 70's (when creative genius reigned..)

ChooChooCharlie

AV8-Mural.jpg

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Well, thanks @Planck, now I have to post something (other than the theme to 'Sanford &Son') from my only Quincy Jones album, a 1973 release, 'You've Got It Bad Girl'. Here's another track:

Chump Change

full album playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_m3RWdjFBO0rfilvrOvwk0wz3Ncq2A2GXw

Edit: and here's a pretty good recent list of my favorite jazz label...( *Bologna Approved :tup:):

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Nice, @oldfool!

I love watching this one from time to time.... makes me feel good:

The Small Faces - Itchycoo Park
"1967... (Best Quality) #1 New Zealand Charts #1 Canada Top Singles #2 Australian Charts #3 UK Singles Charts #13 US Cashbox 100 #16 US Billboard Hot 100.. They got their name because they were all under five feet six inches. Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane of Small Faces wrote this song, which is about skipping school to hang out at a park. On its release, the BBC immediately banned the song because of overt drug references - "What did you do there? - I got high" and "I feel inclined to blow my mind, get hung up, feed the ducks with a bun, They all come out to groove about, Be nice and have fun in the sun." So Small Faces manager Tony Calder explained the song had an innocent interpretation. In Marriott's biography, All Too Beautiful, by Paolo Hewitt and John Hellier, Calder says: "We told the BBC Itchycoo Park was waste ground in the East End which the band had played on as kids. We put the story out at ten and by lunchtime we were told the ban was off."..."

Last edited:

Planck

believes in Dog
The Crusaders Stix Hooper and Joe Sample perform on the Hugh Masekela's album I posted above. The recording was engineered by Rik Pekkonen and produced by Stewart Levine, who worked on many of the Crusaders watershed albums. They chose young (21) Larry Carlton to join the group in 1971 on guitar, he went on to be one of the most recorded and revered guitarists of all time. The opening measures of Stomp and Buck Dance changed my musical landscape for life. Enjoy a track from the guys credited with inventing fusion as a musical form.

ETA: Just found The Crusaders Recorded At The Montreux Jazz Festival 1976.

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Enjoy a track from the guys credited with inventing fusion as a musical form.
I thought that was the other "Larry", Coryell, with The Free Spirits in '65 and then Miles et al taking it "mainstream" with Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way....? It may be garage-y fusion, and a far cry from the Crusaders, but it's still fusion.... :razz: ;):

The Free Spirits ‎– Out Of Sight And Sound (full album) vinyl
A1 Don't Look Now (But Your Head Is Turned Around) 2:12
A2 I'm Gonna Be Free 3:21
A3 Lbod 3:00
A4 Sunday Telephone 2:52
A5 Blue Water Mother 2:39
A6 Girl Of The Mountain 2:38
B1 Cosmic Daddy Dancer 2:31
B2 Bad News Cat 3:19
B3 Storm 2:09
B4 Early Mornin' Fear 2:33
B5 Angels Can't Be True 2:39
B6 Tattoo Man 2:23

"According to music journalist Zaid Mudhaffer, the term "jazz fusion" was coined in a review of Song of Innocence by David Axelrod when it was released in 1968. Axelrod said Davis had played the album before conceiving Bitches Brew."

I got to see Larry Coryell with Al Di Meola and Bireli Lagrene doing a reboot of Friday Night in San Fran but in Cambridge (forget the night of the week it was...) around '89. In fact, I think this vid is from that very (really FUN) show:

Al Di Meola, Larry Coryell, Bireli Lagrene : Medley: Orient Blue - Rhapsody of Fire

I have yet to see Larry Carlton perform live.... :(

Last edited:

Planck

believes in Dog
Interesting @Bologna your source(s) could be right, I wasn't there but read that in an in depth article by someone who appeared to know. I also read that Carlton and a few others played the Baked Potato once a week then and developed/perfected the genre on stage there. I expect it would be difficult to attribute the invention of any musical genre to one band or individual. Honestly the whole genre thing makes my head hurt, smooth jazz for example seems to cover anything from insipid elevator music to absolute masterpieces by absolute masters. Nu Jazz and Acid Jazz is another confusion for me, which is which, where do they start and end, I dunno.

I ask myself is Bitches Brew fusion? I dunno, honestly I have trouble hearing the "rock" in that album. BB was and is a popular and controversial album, undoubtedly more peeps have heard it then Crusader's albums. According to Wiki "Rock and jazz musician Donald Fagen criticized the album as "essentially just a big trash-out for Miles ... To me it was just silly, and out of tune, and bad. I couldn't listen to it. It sounded like [Davis] was trying for a funk record, and just picked the wrong guys. They didn't understand how to play funk. They weren't steady enough." It's not hard to find others who claim BB is one of the greatest recording of all time. I'd know if creating such a polarizing work is an artistic accomplishment or failure?

Here's the 1970 release and the last album before Jazz was dropped from the Crusaders name. FWIW the rock influence is clear to me and contemporary with BB.
Jazz Crusaders Old Socks New Shoes

Anyway just my rambling on a topic that's interesting, no criticism is intended for anyone's tastes or opinions. Me I still listen to the Crusaders fairly often. /nods

Larry Live Sublime and superb!

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
@Planck
First off, I pretty much totally agree (per usual) with your well articulated reply above... :tup:

I also think there is a difference with "creating" or "coining" the first of anything art/movement based, and maybe "fully realizing" it...?

I guess a lot of what makes "fusion", "fusion" to me is (simply) often effects driven solid-body electric guitar being the featured lead instrument... as well as electric bass and some form of electric keys and often a "power" drummer (sometimes hitting the snare on the 2 and 4 🤔)...?

However stoopid, that's what I'm sticking with today.... 🙄🤪😜:peace:

Edit: and fwiw I like and appreciate BB and have thoroughly enjoyed (and analyzed) it over the years, but it never really "grabbed" me as say 'In A Silent Way" did...

Last edited:
Top Bottom