Music from the mid 60's to late 70's (when creative genius reigned..)

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I do hope '62 is close enuff to "mid" 60s...?

Looks like it's gonna stay rainy and somewhat cool all day... seems like a good one for copious amounts of jazz, coffee (Sumatra), food and various cannabis vaping products and methods (not necessarily in that order :tup:)

One of my all time fav "hard-bop" records, and really helped to solidify my overall preference for this particular period within the genre... mind-bendingly good:

3_Blind_Mice_Blakey.jpg

Three Blind Mice - Art Blakey - Vol. 1 (full album)
  1. "Three Blind Mice" (Fuller) - 8:20
  2. "Blue Moon" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) - 6:01
  3. "That Old Feeling" (Lew Brown, Sammy Fain) - 6:36
  4. "Plexus" (Walton) - 5:51
  5. "Up Jumped Spring" (Hubbard) - 9:48
  6. "Up Jumped Spring [alternate take]" (Hubbard) - 5:18
  7. "When Lights Are Low" (Benny Carter, Spencer Williams) - 4:11
  8. "Children of the Night" (Shorter) - 8:13
Personnel:
I may even prefer 'Vol. 2' over this quite a bit more, but I'll have to save that one for another day...:peace:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
And this leads directly into the next selection, an even more confident, focused and seasoned bandleader and composer by this point, the late great, Wayne Shorter (RIP 3/2/23), in what I personally consider to be his finest recording from this period. Another really big one for me, and forever will be (got turned on to it in my early 20s)... Allow him, and John Coltrane's current rhythm section, to guide you well into the stratosphere and far, far beyond....:

JuJu-Wayne_Shorter.jpg

Wayne Shorter - JuJu 1964 (full album)

All pieces written by Shorter.

0:00:00 J̲u̲j̲u̲
0:08:31 ̲D̲e̲l̲u̲g̲e̲
0:15:23 ̲H̲o̲u̲s̲e̲ ̲O̲f̲ ̲J̲a̲d̲e̲
0:22:16 ̲M̲a̲h̲j̲o̲n̲g̲
0:29:59 ̲Y̲e̲s̲ ̲O̲r̲ ̲N̲o̲
0:36:37 ̲T̲w̲e̲l̲v̲e̲ ̲M̲o̲r̲e̲ ̲B̲a̲r̲s̲ ̲T̲o̲ ̲G̲o̲
0:42:07 ̲J̲u̲j̲u̲ ̲(̲A̲l̲t̲e̲r̲n̲a̲t̲e̲ ̲T̲a̲k̲e̲)̲
0:50:01 ̲H̲o̲u̲s̲e̲ ̲O̲f̲ ̲J̲a̲d̲e̲ ̲(̲A̲l̲t̲e̲r̲n̲a̲t̲e̲ ̲T̲a̲k̲e̲)̲

Personnel:

Last edited:

coolbreeze

And this leads directly into the next selection, an even more confident, focused and seasoned bandleader and composer by this point, the late great, Wayne Shorter (RIP 3/2/23), in what I personally consider to be his finest recording from this period. Another really big one for me, and forever will be (got turned on to it in my early 20s)... Allow him and John Coltrane's current rhythm section to guide you into the stratosphere and far beyond....:

JuJu-Wayne_Shorter.jpg

Wayne Shorter - JuJu 1964 (full album)

All pieces written by Shorter.

0:00:00 J̲u̲j̲u̲
0:08:31 ̲D̲e̲l̲u̲g̲e̲
0:15:23 ̲H̲o̲u̲s̲e̲ ̲O̲f̲ ̲J̲a̲d̲e̲
0:22:16 ̲M̲a̲h̲j̲o̲n̲g̲
0:29:59 ̲Y̲e̲s̲ ̲O̲r̲ ̲N̲o̲
0:36:37 ̲T̲w̲e̲l̲v̲e̲ ̲M̲o̲r̲e̲ ̲B̲a̲r̲s̲ ̲T̲o̲ ̲G̲o̲ 0:42:07 ̲J̲u̲j̲u̲ ̲(̲A̲l̲t̲e̲r̲n̲a̲t̲e̲ ̲T̲a̲k̲e̲)̲
0:50:01 ̲H̲o̲u̲s̲e̲ ̲O̲f̲ ̲J̲a̲d̲e̲ ̲(̲A̲l̲t̲e̲r̲n̲a̲t̲e̲ ̲T̲a̲k̲e̲)̲

Personnel:
Thanks for posting these! I have collected live tapes of various musics for most of my life and so 99% of my collection is live, with almost no albums. This looks amazing.

Edit: NOT the '60s or even the '70s, but I've been listening to a bunch of Charles LLoyd and Bobo Stenson tapes, and it's great music to vape to:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Thanks for posting these! I have collected live tapes of various musics for most of my life and so 99% of my collection is live, with almost no albums. This looks amazing.
Absolutely! anytime!

I believe this one was recorded in the studio, but the way BN recorded back then, and musicianship/talent was so phenomenal, it was all basically recorded live in the studio to two tracks (again, I believe) and I'm sure sounded very much the same as the recording if you were lucky enough to be there. The Art Blakey is mostly, if not all, live... I'll try to focus more on that going forward, tho. Thanks for the guidance..!

coolbreeze

Absolutely! anytime!

I believe this one was recorded in the studio, but the way BN recorded back then, and musicianship/talent was so phenomenal, it was all basically recorded live in the studio to two tracks (again, I believe) and I'm sure sounded very much the same as the recording if you were lucky enough to be there. The Art Blakey is mostly, if not all, live... I'll try to focus more on that going forward, tho. Thanks for the guidance..!
Oh, no, I really appreciate the records no matter their process. There are so many and so little time to really explore. And the records often contain lineups you wouldn't expect or a musician who usually leads playing a supporting role. I have music going all day long from sunup to bedtime and I could use three more lifetimes just to explore the amazing stuff I'm already aware of! These just make me want to live more!

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Next up, we'll take a step back a couple years to '61, and this time with another 5-star, seminal, extremely important record by the Bill Evans Trio that includes one of the most astounding bassists of all time, Scott LaFaro, that did more for the bass by 25 years of age than many of his contemporaries were able to achieve in their entire lifetimes combined...! Another top 10, maybe even top 5, jazz album for me, personally. It just doesn't get much better...:tup:

Unable to source as a single video file and this platform won't post playlists, like Vapor Asylum, soooo this is the best I can do. Don't sleep on it!:

Waltz For Debbie Wiki

Bill Evans Trio / Waltz For Debby [Full Album]

And the other famous live recording of the short lived lineup just for you, @coolbreeze!

Bill Evans / Sunday at the Village Vanguard

Arguably often considered one of the best live recordings from anyone during this period.... Scott LaFaro was killed in a car accident 11 days after recording it... RIP

Time to be reduced to nothing more than a puddle, per usual.... And I wouldn't trade that for anything....!

Thanks, buddy!

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Ok, how 'bout we close this jazz escapade with only one vid of one song.....straight the THE Quartet...:

John Coltrane Quartet My Favorite Things Live in Comblain-La-Tour 1965
Soprano Saxophone - John Coltrane
Piano - Mccoy Tyner
Bass - Jimmy Garrison
Drum - Elvin Jones

Live in Comblain-La-Tour (Belgium) on August 1

I actually met the incomparable Elvin Jones several times... the first was at the Regatta Bar in Harvard Square, Cambridge, and was the best by far. He had just come back from being in Japan for an extended period around '91, or so, which is also where his wife, that was with him, was from. They came over to the bar after the place had emptied out after the show and he just walked right up between my buddy (another was there too but wasn't so lucky) and I sitting on stools and wrapped his huge arms around our shoulders (he's actually rather short but with long-ass arms) and turned to both of us with a big red-eyed warm smile and proceeded to introduce himself and his wife and they just hung out with the three of us and he told us all kinds of amazing stories that I'll never forget... that is, until his two Heinekens were up, which is "all my wife allows me"...ha. My buddy even swiped the glass mug he drank them out of and left it in my car, so I still have it to this day....!

Good memories indeed

Last edited:

coolbreeze

10-year-old me's favorite:
Met Alice and the OG band around this time. They had a flight back from Maine and they took it upon themselves to babysit my older sisters, who were 11 and 12 at the time and flying alone. They taught them to play Blackjack, and were very sweet to my somewhat stunned middle-aged, middle-American parents. They all talked to me and signed an envelope for me. I can remember a skeletal Dennis Dunaway, like 6'-6' 120lbs on 6-inch, blue and white alligator skin platform boots leaning down to me to shake my hand. It seemed like he had to unfold himself to reach down that far, like it took minutes! Anyhow, they were very sweet people playing very provocative pop.

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Guess I'm feeling kinda nostalgic lately... currently spinning this and thoroughly enjoying all the memories floating in and around the music... Man, I love (early) Pat. Such a wonderful human...

Though it is now on the last track... where will it lead...?:

Pat Metheny Group - Pat Metheny Group (1978)

1 - San Lorenzo
2 - Phase Dance
3 - Jaco
4 - Aprilwind
5 - April Joy
6 - Lone Jack

Pat Metheny - Voz de 6 e 12 cordas
Lyle Mays - Piano, Oberheim, Sintetizador e Autoharp
Mark Egan - Baixo
Dan Gottlieb - Bateria

He's giving a lesson, if you wanna learn...:tup:

Bologna,

bhasma

A Pot Head Pixie recommends:
Radio Gnome Invisible (part 3)

1. Thought for Naught
2. A P.H.P.'s Advice
3. Magick Mother Invocation
4. Master Builder
5. A Sprinkling of Clouds
6. Perfect Mystery
7. The Isle of Everywhere
8. You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Guess I'm feeling kinda nostalgic lately... currently spinning this and thoroughly enjoying all the memories floating in and around the music... Man, I love (early) Pat. Such a wonderful human...

Though it is now on the last track... where will it lead...?:

Pat Metheny Group - Pat Metheny Group (1978)

1 - San Lorenzo
2 - Phase Dance
3 - Jaco
4 - Aprilwind
5 - April Joy
6 - Lone Jack

Pat Metheny - Voz de 6 e 12 cordas
Lyle Mays - Piano, Oberheim, Sintetizador e Autoharp
Mark Egan - Baixo
Dan Gottlieb - Bateria

He's giving a lesson, if you wanna learn...:tup:
Whoops! Sorry, I thought I had posted the album, not a bunch of Russian reviewers... thank you @vapviking for clueing me in! As I've said before, I usually listen to my own hires music files etc, and often only post the YouTube vid of the song etc just so you guys have something to easily listen to... anyway, again I was unable to source this whole album as a single video file, so all I can do is supply the playlist link here. It really is a dynamite record and well worth a listen!!:

"Pat Metheny Group" (1978) (full album)

Especially the song "Phase Dance"....:tup:

Edit: and sorry again, this is only available to YouPube premium subscribers... Man, Pat really has his shit locked down TIGHT... actually kinda impressive... oh well, Pat, no new listeners for you... so much for Mr "wonderful"... Ha

Last edited:
Top Bottom