Mold in glass

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I noticed the mold last night after taking my Prophet out of an iso bath...

I tried a few simple things, but they didn't make a difference, so before I start throwing chemicals at this thing, well I think Vinegar first, I was wondering if there was a easy / known way of removing it and ensuring it is properly clean? I did a quick search and most mold posts were on mold in cannabis as opposed to when dealing with glass, I have the Prophet sitting in direct sunlight (39c atm) as I figured that would at least kill it off while I figure out a way to clean it.

Never had a glass piece long enough to get mold in it so, never had to clean it before.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
How do you know it’s mold? If you’ve never had a glass piece very long perhaps it’s not mold

First the prophet is a dry piece and not usually used with water. If you’re using it dry, then the chance of mold is not likely.

I’d bet that is just normal reclaim and build up of condensation on the glass. I’ve had my prophet since the first release, use it daily, never had mold.

Rinse with iso and warm water is all I’ve ever done.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
BLEACH…..
Yeah that was the chemicals I was going to throw at it, I hoped for another option

How do you know it’s mold? If you’ve never had a glass piece very long perhaps it’s not mold

First the prophet is a dry piece and not usually used with water. If you’re using it dry, then the chance of mold is not likely.

I’d bet that is just normal reclaim and build up of condensation on the glass. I’ve had my prophet since the first release, use it daily, never had mold.

Rinse with iso and warm water is all I’ve ever done.
let me take a photo

@Canna Chameleon

Last edited:
VapingYogi,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yeah, bleach. Hey, you're already throwing chemical at it when cleaning with iso!

People swim in pools kept clean by bleach, eh?

Not saying there's no need for caution, but bleach works and rinses and evaporates off.

They say sunlight is the best disinfectant, but bleach is a close second.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Yeah, bleach. Hey, you're already throwing chemical at it when cleaning with iso!
People swim in pools kept clean by bleach, eh?
Not saying there's no need for caution, but bleach works and rinses and evaporates off.
They say sunlight is the best disinfectant, but bleach is a close second.
bleach it is, the sun should have killed it, it was 40c at the peak, but I am just going to bleach bath it...

.... and Technically there is a thing called a "bleach bath" they do for kids with ecema or whatever its called...

Hippie

A soak with hot water and a couple of denture cleaning tabs will kill it off
I usually throw in a teaspoon of oxi clean as well to keep the bubbles going for a longer soak
Ideally you want to dry the piece on the inside after cleaning to prevent it coming back

TedJones

Medium to coarse salt, iso, & shaking is the best at getting at any type of gunk in my experience . Shooting a heat gun at glass beforehand helps with certain pieces/adapters. PBW with near boiling water is next best that I’ve tried.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Another vote for bleach. It rinses clean, and you don't want to take chances with mold.

Madri-Gal,
Reactions: mixchu69

badbee

I'm a former tropical fish keeper and breeder and bleach is the ONLY cleaner that is perfectly safe and harmless for fish. That says a lot about its safety as some fish are very sensitive (and not so different from us). The thing with bleach is that it is harmless in trace amounts and breaks down completely in time, there is no residue, no weird by products left behind. Make sure it is pure bleach and not something with cleaning additives, rinse thoroughly, allow to dry.

cannasoor

OK, this is a bit random, but since “sunlight is the best disinfectant” ( — @vapviking above) …

I have a big ol’ magnifying glass, which I bought to use with my SunToken solar-powered vape—long story, but you can read a short FC thread here and see a pic of mine (with other vapes; it’s on the upper right, with the dome) here.

In any case: could a magnifying glass be used to “burn” off the mold, perhaps just as part of a process using other methods discussed here as well? It would seem like a relatively easy way to get at tricky places on the inside of glass … as long as you were careful with glare, angles, etc. (Maybe sunglasses would be a good idea.)

Anyway, I've never had a mold issue with my glass, but I have some tricky places in my short E-Nano “ice stems”, where stuff builds up on the mouth end of the glass screens. (Easy access is blocked by the shaped mouthpiece and the glass balls.)

Not much point in trying it now (we are anticipating a winter storm and have power lines down nearby), but when the beautiful Oregon sunshine returns I will give it a shot and report back, unless someone knows a reason not to. (I suppose it could somehow discolor opaque-colored glass, maybe even the translucent stuff: I dunno, I am not an optical/thermo physicist. In any case, best to be cautious.)

Last edited:
cannasoor,
Reactions: vapviking

vapviking

Old & In the Way
OK, this is a bit random, but since “sunlight is the best disinfectant” ( — @vapviking above) …

I have a big ol’ magnifying glass, which I bought to use with my SunToken solar-powered vape—long story, but you can read a short FC thread here and see a pic of mine (with other vapes; it’s on the upper right, with the dome) here.

In any case: could a magnifying glass be used to “burn” off the mold, perhaps just as part of a process using other methods discussed here as well? It would seem like a relatively easy way to get at tricky places on the inside of glass … as long as you were careful with glare, angles, etc. (Maybe sunglasses would be a good idea.)

Anyway, I've never had a mold issue with my glass, but I have some tricky places in my short E-Nano “ice stems”, where stuff builds up on the mouth end of the glass screens. (Easy access is blocked by the shaped mouthpiece and the glass balls.)

Not much point in trying it now (we are anticipating a winter storm and have power lines down nearby), but when the beautiful Oregon sunshine returns I will give it a shot and report back, unless someone knows a reason not to. (I suppose it could somehow discolor opaque-colored glass, maybe even the translucent stuff: I dunno, I am not an optical/thermo physicist. In any case, best to be cautious.)
Maybe a little googling around? Don't take my word for it!
It seems the UV radiation is the part of sunlight that kills mold, it can take some hours of direct exposure, etc.
Maybe just put the glass outside on a sunny day?
But, yeah, I would use bleach on glass.

vapviking,
Reactions: cannasoor

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
could a magnifying glass be used to “burn” off the mold

Well, not to get all sciency but. The magnifying glass trick works because the highly polished and ground lens is focusing a lot of light into a single spot. The key word there is ‘focus’. You can focus that beam on the surface of the glass, but trying to focus on a point on the inside of the glass might be difficult.

Also, glass is a poor conductor of heat and probably wouldn’t work any better than using a torch on the outside of the glass.

YMMV.

Canna Chameleon,
Reactions: cannasoor

SixStringToker

Naked member
Does not look like mold, I wouldn't use bleach, just alcohol and salt, hot water, scrubbing... 420 cleaners if no luck after that ehh PBW etc
It looks like algae to me - I've seen similar spots on rigs that have been shelved with water for a period of time. Heating up the rig with hot water and then using a thick slurry of alcohol and coarse salt with vigorous shaking has always worked for me.

Top Bottom