MiniVap vs S&B Mighty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vakas

Hello All,

I am trying to look for a new portable, due to my current situation I am not able to use my desktop vapes as frequently and the FireFly is my go to vape.

I love instant heat up for the Firefly as I usually am on a lunch break or something and have to get back to work after a quick bowl.I usually have 1, or if its a really stressful day, 2 bowls at a time with firefly.

Firefly's taste is great! I think its better than my Evo on some occasions , specially the first few hits.
I know firefly2 is coming out soon but I think i am more impressed with Minivap and the mighty from what I have read.

Due to recent price drop from Minivap , they are pretty much in the same ballpark for $$$ but I was wondering if someone can help me chose one? what makes minivap better than the mighty and the other way around.

Vakas,

biohacker

From the MiniVAP thread! Thanks @MinnBobber for the excellent comparison of the MV and Mighty! :D

mV to Mighty comparison IMO:
Note that there is no "BEST VAPE" as wants/needs vary by each person but here are things I consider when comparing, no particular order but CAPS FOR VERY IMPORTANT. My pick and comments
AND, I love the Mighty as I'd say it's a top 5 or maybe even top 3 in my book !!

1. Quality overall look of the unit.
clearly miniVAP as quality aluminum construction and nice finish.
Mighty- plastic/composite albeit high grade plastic/composite. No disrespect but I've always thought it looks like a portable air pump for bike tires---If stopped by LEO, try that excuse!

2. Quality feel of unit in hand
mV- nice heavy quality feel
Mighty- finned plastic unit with a nice looking display though

3.TASTE !!!: I much prefer taste of miniVAP, even comparing 410 F on Mighty to 445 on mV. Probably a function of full convection vs hybrid Mighty. Mighty is not far off though.

4. CONVECTION vs Conduction. miniVAP convection which I almost always prefer. Note the Mighty does an admirable job of taste etc for a hybrid.

5. EFFICIENCY !!!! Full convection and basket system also very very efficient use with max effects with minimal herb. Very important for me as I have meager stash which has to laaast.
miniVAP is more efficient unit

6.Cleaning required. Opposite ends of the spectrum here with almost zero cleaning needed on mV where Mighty has much cleaning needed with its CU.

7. Temp control: Mighty fully adjustable to any temp is nice feature which I'd like to have but not necessary as mV 4 heats have got you covered. See #8

8. Temp range: miniVAP goes to 445 F. Mighty only to 410 F. Much prefer ability to go to 445 F when desired- note:still no popcorn taste at 445. I do wonder why S&B didn't give much higher temp, popcorn taste or charring from conduction element?

9. Versatility of AC or portable. miniVAP. Love this as it's like having 2 vapes in one. Plus, you can warm up on AC and then slip on battery and wander: convenient and this extends the already huge battery time. Using AC more and more as its so lightweight and small unit with it.

10. Ease to pair with bubbler. mV needs no accessories as you can invert Flexicone into bubbler and invert mV. OF course, many other bubbler options/connections are available.
Mighty with either of Ratchett's Songs works fine or muzzmod.

11. Ease to pair with hydartube. mV needs no accessories, just Flexicone, but you can use other options also.
Mighty with Songs or muzzmod.

12. Vapor coolness. Mighty with Cooling Unit (CU) is great. miniVAP -rating depends on which straight draw method from stock 2" mouthpiece to stock 6" whip to accessory OGB glass mouthpiece which equals CU level etc

13. Portability- Mighty is better to carry conceal. Note that mV when broken into 2 pieces is easier to carry/hide. Note: awaiting the release of mV small battery option which they are researching /developing

14. Battery life. miniVAP approx 2X of Mighty. Mighty has very satisfactory batt life though.

15. Ability to move load mid-session to another piece. I often do this to compare taste or use a different piece. Only miniVAP allows one to easily do this. 3 seconds to move Flexicone

16.Allows use of extra batteries and user replaceable battery. Only miniVAP, purchase from Hermes, not aftermarket option

17. Service from company. I can only speak for US/ North America but miniVAP service with addition of @stickstones is now top notch! US S&B seems inconsistent?

18. Reliability structure- mV is a tank. Mighty, even revised, seems to have some issues with fins etc.

19. Reliability of actual function. I'd say previously a tie with both having issues but now the nod goes to miniVAP as faulty heaters seem to be in the past. Mighty seems to be much better than the Crafty but still power button and firmware and lights of death issues

20. Ability to preload loads, like when out and about. Only miniVAP with Flexicone baskets. Some Mighty users need to also carry S&B loader when out too.

21. Stands easily by itself? miniVAP only. When I use a hydratube and remove it, I want the unit to stay standing. When I stack a delicate "layered load" in the Flexicone---I want it stay as crafted and not be dumped over on its side.

22. Ease to add degummed hemp filter to filter out tiny herbage pieces and keep them out of my throat and out of my glass reclaim oil. Fits right into miniVAP Flexicone cover

23. Display. Mighty has great, functional display. Love it

24. Comes with carrying case. Only miniVAP kit.

25. EASE OF LOADING every load. For me, the miniVAP Flexicones are just so much easier to load, being removable and self-contained. Mighty loading is just more cumbersome for me.

26. AUTO SHUT-OFF. Love the miniVAP 20 minute shutoff but actually wish it was longer.
Mighty 1 minute and now 2 minute shutoff sucks for my use pattern

27. Warm up time. Goes to Mighty but I work around it. With 20 minute mV auto shutoff, I just start it a few minutes ahead and IF I want a quick hit, Herbalizer is here for a 30 second session

killick

But I like it!
I wish MV auto shutoff was longer, as well. I can't comment on the Mighty, having never used any S&B products, but MV is great. I'll give it added points for durability. I don't recommend beating the crap out of your equipment, but thats what I tend to do. My MV has a lot of miles on it, highway *and* bush in ATV and walking around. It's fell from an ATV on a bump, it's slid off the seat of a lifted F350 and bounced off my foot before hitting the ground. I can get a day out of the battery, although I sometimes carry a spare vape along for extended trips, although I just might try the new (to me) AC puck hooked to a mobile power source.

I recently picked up a Jhook for the MV, and that is a pretty awesome combo. Everything is soooo smooth! But when you exhale you wonder if the vape coming out of you is ever going to stop.

Anyways, it's a great position to be in. @biohacker shared the best comparison available. Happy selecting!

sativasam

NO SMOKING
I wouldn't dare to say I know anything about the Minivap. But from what I can tell it isn't really portable like the Mighty. Despite what some say about the Mighty, I consider it a true portable. It fits in all my pockets.

killick

But I like it!
What @sativasam says ^^^. I use mine as a 'portable', but I'm an old guy who doesn't do a lot of walking these days. MiniVAP does look like a pipe bomb with the battery attached. I fit it in my pockets, even a jean pocket, but it's handy in a chest pocket with a whip, like a herb Camelbak, when hiking or out in the bush on ATV. Anyways, enough cheerleading for one day :)

MinnBobber

I wouldn't dare to say I know anything about the Minivap. But from what I can tell it isn't really portable like the Mighty. Despite what some say about the Mighty, I consider it a true portable. It fits in all my pockets.
Yup, portable class has a WIDE range in size. Some Crafty owners don't consider the Mighty a true portable as it can be too big to palm.
I'd call Mighty in the middle of portable classif.
MiniVAP is the upper end of portable size and great for use in car, camping, carrying in backpack etc but NOT a pocket portable. More of a walk around the house and not be tethered by AC cord portable

Vakas

Thanks everyone for the replies!! Great review @MinnBobber.

I think I am going to go for MiniVap as that is a better fit for my needs atm.

Any discount for us FC'ers? or just order from their official site?

MinnBobber

@Vakas ,
if you can live with the longer warm up time on the miniVAP and the bigger size, it will hopefully fit your needs. You can't really go wrong with either.

@stickstones on here is a US miniVAP dealer. PM him for pricing, Are you in US or ???

You'll need to pick mV Teflon core or glass core. Teflon has slightly better taste. Glass core is slightly harder hitting, slightly bigger clouds etc but slightly less flavor. I think there is upcharge $$ for glass too.

Think about miniVAP battery and/or AC puck too. One or the other or both?

Vakas

I think glass core would be better as I love the flavor my ff produces, cant wait to try miniVap..

I am going to go with batter and ac puck.

Question, can battery be charged without the minivap? I would like to leave that in the car while I charge battery in my office...

MinnBobber

I think glass core would be better as I love the flavor my ff produces, cant wait to try miniVap..

I am going to go with batter and ac puck.

Question, can battery be charged without the minivap? I would like to leave that in the car while I charge battery in my office...
.................................................................................
IMO from a few FireFly experiences, even miniVAP glass core will have much better flavor. And teflon core is a notch up from there.

Battery and puck gives you a superb desktop AND superb portable. Good choice to get both from the start.

Battery has a charging deck it fits into and is made to be charged by itself/ separated from main unit.
So just bringing in battery to office will be fine

MinnBobber,
Reactions: killick

biohacker

You'll need to pick mV Teflon core or glass core. Teflon has slightly better taste. Glass core is slightly harder hitting, slightly bigger clouds etc but slightly less flavor. I think there is upcharge $$ for glass too.

I can't imagine the glass being harder hitting or producing bigger clouds than the teflon with upgraded firmware/heater? If anything, the new teflon could use being dialing down a touch! 235c on red is really up there.

biohacker,

kimura

I can't imagine the glass being harder hitting or producing bigger clouds than the teflon with upgraded firmware/heater? If anything, the new teflon could use being dialing down a touch! 235c on red is really up there.

can confirm, the new glass MV gives an even more aggressive extraction than the new teflon. I get bigger clouds, quicker. flavor is outstanding for the first hit, but goes south much quicker than the teflon. but this is probably just because all the terps got stripped off and deposited in your lungs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. it's a much less subtle experience compared to the teflon and really blasts the shit out of your load. I believe there is radiant heat transfer going on with the glass in addition to the convection, whereas the teflon is almost entirely convection heat transfer. I recommend the glass for people who just want to get as medicated as possible. the teflon provides a more reasonable experience and fantastic flavor. I've never come close to charring a load with either, so I personally don't feel that either are too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom