MiniVAP Vaporizer

lazylathe

Almost there...
Thank you!

That's very interesting. Aluminum foam... And what is the material of the heater?

Do you know of any way to see the full disassembly? I'd like to see where the air is coming from, etc.

So far it looks like at the very least it goes through wires and (presumably) solder before going through aluminum foam and (presumably) a stainless steel heater, and finally glass/teflon/peek, before going out through a plastic mouthpiece .

The heater is a PTC heater, encased in a yellow foil, cannot remember the name...
One of these.
index.jpg

No solder that I know of in the air path. The top part of the heater heats up more then the lower section so the electronics are kept cooler.
The air inlet is in the middle of the bottom of the vape and has a screen, not sure what else in in there.

Maybe @stickstones could add a bit more detail as to the air path?

This may be interesting as well:
https://www.hermesmedical.es/

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
The heater is a PTC heater, encased in a yellow foil, cannot remember the name...
One of these.
index.jpg

No solder that I know of in the air path. The top part of the heater heats up more then the lower section so the electronics are kept cooler.
The air inlet is in the middle of the bottom of the vape and has a screen, not sure what else in in there.

Maybe @stickstones could add a bit more detail as to the air path?

This may be interesting as well:
https://www.hermesmedical.es/

Polyamide?

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Does anyone know where I can find video or photos of the MiniVAP disassembled?

I'd like to see how it works on the inside, especially how the air is heated before entering the chamber/bowl.

I tried searching the thread but some promising comments in the first pages had dead links.

Thanks
Just get a MV!
To recreate is easy for some?
Copying is not allowed in some societies?

ataxian,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I hope you are not implying that I am trying to copy the MiniVAP. If I wanted to do that I would just buy one and reverse engineer it.

I am only asking as a potential buyer who wants to know how the device works and how safe it is.
I apologize for my misunderstanding.
I was a reverse engineer before I got sick.

CANNABIS has a different meaning in my situation?
The MV has the taste that is amazing to me.
I was a paper joint smoker too many decades.
My option is not valid!

dimmusp

I apologize for my misunderstanding.
I was a reverse engineer before I got sick.

CANNABIS has a different meaning in my situation?
The MV has the taste that is amazing to me.
I was a paper joint smoker too many decades.
My option is not valid!
No hard feelings ;)

By the way, I've always been curious about something: why do you write most things in the form of a question? It's very unique :)

deadlytoaster

Canadian lost in Europe
So I side-by-side tested the Plenty that a friend brought over, compared to the Minivap.

Plenty has bigger bowl, less draw resistance, 'easier' clouds.

Plenty is hideous and intimidating for new or unexperienced vaporents

Minivap is much more aesthetically pleasing and far easier to clean/load/maintain. It's about the same size as just the main cylinder part of the Plenty. The Minivap still has a very satisfying bowl which I don't think needs to be bigger.

Flavor and cloud production? I'd rate them as equal, the Minivap with pure glass vapor path being preferable for flavor while the Plenty throws bigger clouds overall.

Over an hour+ session, the Plenty got very warm in certain places (the main cylinder, chamber area, cooling tube) while the Minivap only got to moderately warm on max temperature, never uncomfortable to hold.

To me, the Minivap is the preferred one. Aesthetics, simplicity, flavor, performance, cleaning, portability, versatility, comfort. The Plenty is like an industrial stoning device while the Minivap is like a powerful high-quality medical tool.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I had both and happily gave up the Plenty for MV.

...and I LOVED the Plenty, but that coil whip was the most obnoxious PIA to clean.
I could not have kicked combustion, or cigarettes, without Plenty. It is an absolute BEAST, no wonder it is still in production.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I had both and happily gave up the Plenty for MV.

...and I LOVED the Plenty, but that coil whip was the most obnoxious PIA to clean.
I could not have kicked combustion, or cigarettes, without Plenty. It is an absolute BEAST, no wonder it is still in production.
I have both the PLENTY & MINIVAP I use both.
The PLENTY with water path & the MV dry.
Don’t know really if one size fit’s all?
The material can be an issue for some!

1/4# @ Mickey D’S
1/4# standard
CANNABIS = FRENCH
MARIJUANA = SPANISH
Not to be a word police?

Last edited:

dimmusp

One thing that puzzles me is: what explains the MiniVAP's legendary vapor quality?

With vapes like the Evo or ELEV8R, people point to the purity of having nothing but glass, etc.

But in the case of the MiniVAP, the air goes through a "PTC heater" (made out of wires, foil, etc.), then through aluminum foam, a glass/teflon/peek core, and finally a silicon tube and a plastic mouthpiece.

If the above is correct, then the MiniVap would be among the vapes where the air goes through the most variety of materials :hmm:

dimmusp,
Reactions: ataxian

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
One thing that puzzles me is: what explains the MiniVAP's legendary vapor quality?

With vapes like the Evo or ELEV8R, people point to the purity of having nothing but glass, etc.

But in the case of the MiniVAP, the air goes through a "PTC heater" (made out of wires, foil, etc.), then through aluminum foam, a glass/teflon/peek core, and finally a silicon tube and a plastic mouthpiece.

If the above is correct, then the MiniVap would be among the vapes where the air goes through the most variety of materials :hmm:
E=MC2 EINSTEIN made formula’s that we’re simple to understand!
I have a EVO as well.
Their both decent!
The MV is portable (home use or garden)
The EVO is a plug-in (different)

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@dimmusp

The air enters through the inlet on the bottom. It goes immediately into a teflon tube that bypasses all the electronics, straight into the heater. The heater is a ceramic plate, with no polymide, surrounded by the aluminum foam. This entire heater and exchanger are encapsulated in the a sleeve, made of either teflon or glass (or PEEK for a little while). From the heater, it travels straight into the bowl.

The taste is great because of the inert materials (ceramic, aluminum and teflon) that don't alter the flavor at these temps. That, combined with the full convection air flow. The teflon version tastes great longer than vapes made with glass because there is no heat held in the teflon, and the temps don't unintentionally escalate. imo, the glass version loses its taste quicker than the teflon version. There are some here who would disagree.

I hope that helps!

dimmusp

@dimmusp

The air enters through the inlet on the bottom. It goes immediately into a teflon tube that bypasses all the electronics, straight into the heater. The heater is a ceramic plate, with no polymide, surrounded by the aluminum foam. This entire heater and exchanger are encapsulated in the a sleeve, made of either teflon or glass (or PEEK for a little while). From the heater, it travels straight into the bowl.

The taste is great because of the inert materials (ceramic, aluminum and teflon) that don't alter the flavor at these temps. That, combined with the full convection air flow. The teflon version tastes great longer than vapes made with glass because there is no heat held in the teflon, and the temps don't unintentionally escalate. imo, the glass version loses its taste quicker than the teflon version. There are some here who would disagree.

I hope that helps!
That's very informative, thanks Jerry!

I'm still a bit paranoid about aluminum and PTFE (Teflon) right next to the heater though...

Although the herb won't get hotter than 210 C or so, the heater will of course be way hotter (how much, I wonder?).

Wikipedia says that aluminum starts to cook ("pyrolyze") at 200 C (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene#Safety) at safe levels, but not so much at higher temperatures.

Then with aluminum there's the whole thing about Alzheimer's, but I read that it's only dangerous if it comes into contact with acidic substances (e.g., when used in a bowl that's in contact with the herb), so I suppose it's OK for the foam.

What are your thoughts on the MiniVAP now that you've tried more modern vapes like the Mighty, TETRA P80 and Tinymight? I loved your video on the TP80 vs TM with Troy, but was left wondering where the MV ranks after 10 years of refinements.

There is a TETRAx drop coming from Lamart later this month, as well as some good deals on the Mighty and MiniVAP, so it's time to make a choice :)

I know that comparisons in regular threads are not very kosher here, so if you don't mind maybe you could post in this other thread? :)

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/b...ap-vs-tetra-p80-vs-tinymight-vs-others.47029/

Thanks!

VapeEnthusiast

Troy's Army
@stickstones

Is the teflon air intake there for the glass version as well?

Is any teflon exposed, so that it could be physically damaged?

Anyone with a pet bird should be especially careful - PTFE (teflon) can kill birds in minutes if it's overheated or physically damaged. Not sure how many of you that applies to, but probably someone...

Last edited:
VapeEnthusiast,
Reactions: dimmusp

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Spent about two hours with my MV today over two sessions in the yard. Was really the PERFECT vape for doing yard work and while watering new sod. It is tough, has an outstanding battery, and provides extended sessions on just a couple baskets. Nothing to fiddle with, no timers, KILLER flavor...

I love how I can pack this up and rip on it for 15-20+ minutes before having to reload the basket. Livin in the red, always. :rockon:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@VapeEnthusiast yes on the glass units. Everything inside is solid state, so the teflon won't get damaged by force.

@dimmusp - most of us had those concerns to one degree or another when first looking at the minivap. I know I did. Do your research and don't violate your conscience. The teflon is only a concern if it seriously overheats. At the end of the day, this is still one of only two vapes currently on the market that has subjected itself to independent lab testing...ten years later. Check it out. Worth looking into.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@VapeEnthusiast yes on the glass units. Everything inside is solid state, so the teflon won't get damaged by force.

@dimmusp - most of us had those concerns to one degree or another when first looking at the minivap. I know I did. Do your research and don't violate your conscience. The teflon is only a concern if it seriously overheats. At the end of the day, this is still one of only two vapes currently on the market that has subjected itself to independent lab testing...ten years later. Check it out. Worth looking into.

I've been looking for those lab results for ten years and never seen anything posted besides a small text blurb by the owner of Hermes, absent of any analytical data whatsoever.

The safety factor of PTFE as a major component in a convection heater is extremely questionable. Since I'm walking on eggshells here with material discussion and to keep things on topic, could you please post links to the minivap analytical data collected from Lieben University showcasing the testing of fluoropolymers?

Top Bottom