Milaana 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verax

My MI3 ((064) arrived a few days ago. I'm a MI1 owner, but don't have a 2. It performs very similarly to my MI1, and that's a good thing for me. Overall, works great. I don't like the new air hole placement, as I tend to cover it up with my hand on a few different grip styles. It's not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance. I also vastly prefer the brushed brass look of the metal parts of the MI1, over the blinged out mirror finish on the MI3, but that's just personal preference.

All in all, I'm happy. :)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My MI3 ((064) arrived a few days ago. I'm a MI1 owner, but don't have a 2. It performs very similarly to my MI1, and that's a good thing for me. Overall, works great. I don't like the new air hole placement, as I tend to cover it up with my hand on a few different grip styles. It's not a huge deal, just a minor annoyance. I also vastly prefer the brushed brass look of the metal parts of the MI1, over the blinged out mirror finish on the MI3, but that's just personal preference.

All in all, I'm happy. :)
Pleased to make yer acquaintance, 063 here!
The bottom plate on mine has begun to get scuffed and scratched and I actually look forward to more wear-in and especially some patina developing over time. Gonna be fine.

Hey when folks say they 'buttered it up', is that with beeswax?
What is the 'factory finish' on Mi3? and what can user apply to maintain? I think that with use (heat) the wood on mine is beginning to look thirsty.
While I'm at it, can anyone please tell me the wood species and origin (country or areas grown)?

eideal852

Pleased to make yer acquaintance, 063 here!
The bottom plate on mine has begun to get scuffed and scratched and I actually look forward to more wear-in and especially some patina developing over time. Gonna be fine.

Hey when folks say they 'buttered it up', is that with beeswax?
What is the 'factory finish' on Mi3? and what can user apply to maintain? I think that with use (heat) the wood on mine is beginning to look thirsty.
While I'm at it, can anyone please tell me the wood species and origin (country or areas grown)?
"cinnamon" haha, but he has said, I just dont remember, @Shit Snacks @bossman you remember?

eideal852,
Reactions: vapviking

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The Milaana 3 has been prone to a center hotspot for me too like @eideal852 and
others have described. While I get the idea of practicing getting on and off the button or adjusting your draw, I was curious if the delay we had for the change of screw meant that there might be a simple DIY approach to tame the heater somehow?

The Milaana 2 is more dialed in and I can just hold the button the whole time even with a fully charged cell. The Milaana 3 is still easy to use and I can postpone or mitigate the center spot with a bit of care. Really it seems more like a toasty two hitter and I'm not always in the mood for that. A few posts back @KeroZen was explaining how simple the circuit is and that had me wondering if there was a way way to dial it back with a different screw or some other hack that didn't involve rebuilding the heater or anything.

Have you tried different batteries? I know you favor the HG2 rightfully so, but I think its 18A may give you more of a kick than the HE4 with its 20A or Samsung 25R among others...?

"cinnamon" haha, but he has said, I just dont remember, @Shit Snacks @bossman you remember?

I do not, I think it was like a Brazilian Cedar or Bolivian Sapele or some such thing? No idea lol

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Hey folks... good to see everyone enjoying the Mi3!

I read through the thread quickly and here are some answers / updates

The wood is Ipe wood. that is all the detail that was provided by the manufacture. RBT is working with Futo to have Mi3 woods quoted in exotic and burls. Look for a thread once samples are in hand in a few months.

Given the time crunch with Mi3, the manual was not made in time for the initial shipment. This was deemed acceptable as the majority of pre-order customers have insight into Milaana / FC.

The Mi3 is the hottest running Milaana to date... that was the goal and reason for delay. To counter act the added resistance the long screw that leads from the electrical compartment up to the copper hatch (long screw?) was changed from copper to brass. Washers where also added to the heater to reduce contact resistance in this area to further increase the units efficiency. Any resistance in the system other than the heater creates waste energy into the units components. Initially it was thought that the screw could be interchangeable to produce a hot and cold option but after evaluation of the degree of difficulty of switching the screw (tamper proof screw on electronics compartment) etc. along with added liability issues it was decided not to include it. At this point the stainless screw has not been tried in the unit but if its resistance increase puts the Mi3 into a usable low temperature range we can work to supply screws and instructions for the customers that want to give it a go. However this will take some time to test / implement. To all that don't believe this was a made up condition need to only to compare the stainless steel screw on Mi2 to the Mi3 and you will see... dont believe everything you read on the www ;)

The Mi3 uses heavy wall glass similar to the glass used in the US Custom Splinters. The issue that caused some glass breakage in the initial run of Splinters was also resloved. (wood fit to tight to the glass did not allow for any room for the wood to shrink over time causing stress on the glass) but keep in mind... Glass is fragile and breaks relatively easily compared to other materials... the cost of purity.

There is no electronics in Mi3 so if there is an electrical smell I would suspect a loose wire in the electrical cavity that is causing contact resistance that is heating up one of the wires. For any warranty related issues please use the official RBT means of communication on the www as FC is not generally used for warranty communications.

Thanks to all here especially @Shit Snacks for being helpful, informative and positive on the RBT threads. My apologies for the slow CS as Cole is busy with school and shipping out the Mi3 pre-order.

Stay healthy happy and safe all.

Last edited:

Lozo

044 here, I've got really nice grain and knots in my Mi3. Really enjoying mine, full extraction, no stirring required, I found it very intuitive to use but I also have other RBT vapes. I love the fact it runs a little hotter than previous models. Super duper happy here

jbm

from http://www.eastteak.com/what-is-ipe-wood/

What is Ipe Wood?
Ipe (spelled ipe and pronounced “ee-pay”), also called Brazilian walnut, is a beautiful exotic wood from South America. Ipe wood structures are hard, strong, and naturally resistant to rot, abrasion, weather, and insects. It is almost twice as dense as most woods and up to five times harder. It is medium to darker brown in color, like a mahogany, so not only lasts a long time but has the beauty of a fine interior wood. If Ipe lumber is allowed to patina, color can be brought back to its original shade with the use a cleaner and brightener. Ipe wood lumber has become a very popular and inexpensive alternative to teak lumber.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I was close! Almost said Brazilian Walnut even, but Ipe is why I forgot!

The wood has looked fantastic from the units we've seen so far here, but I will probably wait and pick up one of the exotics when they become a reality! :brow:

Jaurgh

Would that be the long stainless steel screw that will be interchangeable with the new brass screw to provide a low temp / high temp option?

Whatever happened to that? :hmm:
That's never happened. If there were no screws, then why did delivery get pushed back 2 months?

Update: #71 is still broken. No work back from rbt, text and email

Jaurgh,
Reactions: Tweakz

eideal852

Hey folks... good to see everyone enjoying the Mi3!

I read through the thread quickly and here are some answers / updates

The wood is Ipe wood. that is all the detail that was provided by the manufacture. RBT is working with Futo to have Mi3 woods quoted in exotic and burls. Look for a thread once samples are in hand in a few months.

Given the time crunch with Mi3, the manual was not made in time for the initial shipment. This was deemed acceptable as the majority of pre-order customers have insight into Milaana / FC.

The Mi3 is the hottest running Milaana to date... that was the goal and reason for delay. To counter act the added resistance the long screw that leads from the electrical compartment up to the copper hatch (long screw?) was changed from copper to brass. Washers where also added to the heater to reduce contact resistance in this area to further increase the units efficiency. Any resistance in the system other than the heater creates waste energy into the units components. Initially it was thought that the screw could be interchangeable to produce a hot and cold option but after evaluation of the degree of difficulty of switching the screw (tamper proof screw on electronics compartment) etc. along with added liability issues it was decided not to include it. At this point the stainless screw has not been tried in the unit but if its resistance increase puts the Mi3 into a usable low temperature range we can work to supply screws and instructions for the customers that want to give it a go. However this will take some time to test / implement. To all that don't believe this was a made up condition need to only to compare the stainless steel screw on Mi2 to the Mi3 and you will see... dont believe everything you read on the www ;)

The Mi3 uses heavy wall glass similar to the glass used in the US Custom Splinters. The issue that caused some glass breakage in the initial run of Splinters was also resloved. (wood fit to tight to the glass did not allow for any room for the wood to shrink over time causing stress on the glass) but keep in mind... Glass is fragile and breaks relatively easily compared to other materials... the cost of purity.

There is no electronics in Mi3 so if there is an electrical smell I would suspect a loose wire in the electrical cavity that is causing contact resistance that is heating up one of the wires. For any warranty related issues please use the official RBT means of communication on the www as FC is not generally used for warranty communications.

Thanks to all here especially @Shit Snacks for being helpful, informative and positive on the RBT threads. My apologies for the slow CS as Cole is busy with school and shipping out the Mi3 pre-order.

Stay healthy happy and safe all.
would a replacement Pick do this in re: to increased resistance? cool looking different metals that'd do double duty as heat modes?

eideal852,

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
I just realized a downside to the Milanna. Unlike a Z or V you cant charge it in your car which means taking an extra battery with you on the go.

eideal852

I just realized a downside to the Milanna. Unlike a Z or V you cant charge it in your car which means taking an extra battery with you on the go.
For .5s extra time you could just throw a 1 battery charger (usually micro usb) in the car to throw the battery in. . Most mods wont work while charging if the batteries dead anyway.

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
For .5s extra time you could just throw a 1 battery charger (usually micro usb) in the car to throw the battery in. . Most mods wont work while charging if the batteries dead anyway.

Thanks @eideal852 that would work. I only have a big digital 2 battery charger. Did not know they made small USB ones. If you have a recommendation please post a link.

Hippie

My little XTAR MC1 charger has always served me well
Not sure why but it's resurrected a few batteries my Liitokala, Nitecore and Almaybe chargers could not

kurt6652

Hey folks... Here is a video to help folks trouble shoot their Milaana 2.

Same for Mi3 other than disregard the tooth washer and battery contact (issues resolved in 3)

Is this the best you can do for broken or defective devices?

I had to fix mine myself with no help from the maker or other employee.
Just had a yes no question.
If your mi3 fails it will more likely be the switch.
Mine died and the switch was the problem.

Good luck you are on your own.

This is a nice vape though.

kurt6652,
Reactions: Tweakz

gingerbier

Space Ranger
I also preordered in August and am waiting. I'm wondering when to send an email to see if maybe I've been looked over.

Have you checked your order on the website? It might have been updated with a tracking number. And you can send an email, but Cole's not returning them.

gingerbier,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom