MFLB alternative

frostyjack

hee ho
Been using the MFLB for years and it's the only vape I've had, but been thinking about getting something newer. A big drawback for me are the AA batteries that need replacing so ideally the new one wouldn't have that.
I'm a daily smoker, looking for something portable with on demand hits, easy to clean and it'd be a nice bonus if it isn't too huge nor expensive. Saw some positive reviews for the Tinymight but it's so pricey I wanna be sure it'd be worth it. Any recommendations?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
TM is 1,000% worth it (my overall favorite), MFLB is super outdated now, but there are a whole lot of options so if you shared more of a price range or what you want exactly you might get more suggestions... I'd suggest just reading Ask FC, what other people have asked and suggested, checking the product threads? Welcome and good luck!!

Shit Snacks

If you can score a Milaana that is quite an example of the evolution where we are now (it is like MFLB meets desktop, stem pure convection on demand unregulated but with actually good batteries) they are no longer made so you would have to grab one on the used market or get lucky somewhere...

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
So far almost everyone had suggested battery powered portables, which seem like maybe not your cup of tea given your comment about replacing batteries?

Lots of great desktops out there depending on your dosage needs. Big fan of a log for small doses myself, but there are quite a few heavy hitters people refer to as ball vapes on the market or that can be a fun little diy project if that is more your speed? Either option is battery free, but you’d be tethered to an outlet (save with something like the couch log or if for some of the logs if you can use them with a battery pack—I know this is an option for the woodscents, not 100% on some of the other logs on the market).

frostyjack

hee ho
Thanks for the answers so far! Budget wise it'd be 150-200 ideally but no more than 350. I'm honestly clueless about technical aspects since I've only used the one vape without much fuss, so not sure what other details to add. I suppose it'd be nice if it'd make the herbs last longer and it's mostly gonna be for solo use.

Shit Snacks

So far almost everyone had suggested battery powered portables, which seem like maybe not your cup of tea given your comment about replacing batteries?

Are you familiar with the MFLB? Because it's not like modern battery powered portables, it used shitty weak batteries, without a button even, I had the old Thermovape T1 instead, which was great but sort of like a convection version, a weak point being the awful batteries, because back then battery tech was really lacking and now it's come a long way thanks to the e-cig stuff!

Thanks for the answers so far! Budget wise it'd be 150-200 ideally but no more than 350. I'm honestly clueless about technical aspects since I've only used the one vape without much fuss, so not sure what other details to add. I suppose it'd be nice if it'd make the herbs last longer and it's mostly gonna be for solo use.

Yeah so MFLB is purely conduction, heating the herbs directly from the steel mesh, on regulated based off of the charge level on your batteries, it's a game and it's just really old not polished tech especially even for the modern artisan scene of wood vapes today...

So there's really a wide variety of options, the TM is really the best, they still are going to sell the TM1 so it will be available a little cheaper, the TM2 is just all around better made, fit and finish among other minor upgrades, but the TM1 had rolling upgrades as well and I never felt like my OG was lacking before, it was already my favorite most versatile vape ever!

There are a lot more options, wood artisan style, unregulated requiring technique in a way similar to the MFLB (like vapman with a torch that was mentioned) and 510 mod convection vapes (like Dreamwood Glow or Milliken Shammer) but the TM is more of the first mass produced more mainstream fully regulated pure convection on demand artisan style vape...

The budget end has come a long way too, with the Healthy Rips brand session portable vapes, and xmax v3pro and xlux roffu too (these two are on demand convection) if you want to save money and try a more modern vape experience... I find they don't have the best flavor compared to the more expensive artisan scene however (makes sense since they focus more on simple pure materials and often have glass chamber and pathway, what I love about something like the TM, is how many options there are for that, I like to use with aftermarket glass stems and WPA with dry glass like a hook for best vapor quality)

Hope this helps! There's really a lot to catch up on

frostyjack

hee ho
Are you familiar with the MFLB? Because it's not like modern battery powered portables, it used shitty weak batteries, without a button even, I had the old Thermovape T1 instead, which was great but sort of like a convection version, a weak point being the awful batteries, because back then battery tech was really lacking and now it's come a long way thanks to the e-cig stuff!

Yeah so MFLB is purely conduction, heating the herbs directly from the steel mesh, on regulated based off of the charge level on your batteries, it's a game and it's just really old not polished tech especially even for the modern artisan scene of wood vapes today...

So there's really a wide variety of options, the TM is really the best, they still are going to sell the TM1 so it will be available a little cheaper, the TM2 is just all around better made, fit and finish among other minor upgrades, but the TM1 had rolling upgrades as well and I never felt like my OG was lacking before, it was already my favorite most versatile vape ever!

There are a lot more options, wood artisan style, unregulated requiring technique in a way similar to the MFLB (like vapman with a torch that was mentioned) and 510 mod convection vapes (like Dreamwood Glow or Milliken Shammer) but the TM is more of the first mass produced more mainstream fully regulated pure convection on demand artisan style vape...

The budget end has come a long way too, with the Healthy Rips brand session portable vapes, and xmax v3pro and xlux roffu too (these two are on demand convection) if you want to save money and try a more modern vape experience... I find they don't have the best flavor compared to the more expensive artisan scene however (makes sense since they focus more on simple pure materials and often have glass chamber and pathway, what I love about something like the TM, is how many options there are for that, I like to use with aftermarket glass stems and WPA with dry glass like a hook for best vapor quality)

Hope this helps! There's really a lot to catch up on
This has been very helpful, thank you!
Only started looking into modern vapes today and there's such an overwhelming amount of information to sift through since I'm so far behind the times lol. As for the TM, would you say the upgrades for 2 is worth the extra money or would the 1 suffice?

Shit Snacks

This has been very helpful, thank you!
Only started looking into modern vapes today and there's such an overwhelming amount of information to sift through since I'm so far behind the times lol.

I know, I feel crazy for staying on top of everything, checking it all the time, but I can't imagine coming back after a while to find brand new products especially after several years lol

As for the TM, would you say the upgrades for 2 is worth the extra money or would the 1 suffice?

Yeah I'd say if you're starting from this point it makes sense to just grab the TM2, it is definitely all around better more fully featured and polished finalized, however the TM1 performance is fairly equal... I've never had a problem with reliability though others have so the second one should be better in that regard too, although the latest TM is going to be solid anyway... Coming from the MFLB I think you would still be impressed by the fit and finish of the TM1 in its current state, however the TM2 really is next level!

Something to keep in mind though, if money is a factor truly, I don't like to use the stock setup of the TM much myself as I said I like to use glass WPA with other glass cooling or aftermarket glass cooling stems... Part of the cost of the TM is that cooling unit, which is effective and useful the way it is designed, the TM2 includes an additional titanium stem which adds to the cost, could be beneficial to have an unbreakable stem with the cooling unit however so that could be good value... I think there is a strong case to argue the value could be better spent getting the TM1 and nice aftermarket glass though?

Finally, if you decide on the TM2, I would recommend waiting for a restock from Vapefiend or Docteur-Vaporisateur if the goal is to get it as cheap as possible, those places seem to remove the VAT for US customers and the price becomes $315 instead of 350-370

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!

Yeah, I know the mflb! I remember being real tempted by a portable and affordable vape when it first came on the scene. I agree that it’s way past it’s prime, but I can see a reasonable person arguing that the lifespan of an 18650 in a tm or tp80 isn’t sooooo impressive even if I think it’s plenty great.

I also think the desktops tend to provide a better bang for the buck if you don’t mind the tethered bit. A bamboo heat island is cheap, and a diy ball vape is like $150 or thereabouts even if you “splurge” on a titi. I’m not knocking any of the battery powered options as I love them myself, just listing some alternatives should they fit the ops budget and use case better!

Shit Snacks

Finally, if you decide on the TM2, I would recommend waiting for a restock from Vapefiend or Docteur-Vaporisateur if the goal is to get it as cheap as possible, those places seem to remove the VAT for US customers and the price becomes $315 instead of 350-370

And got notice Vapefiend just restocked btw (try code 420 for extra 10% off there too)

el sargantano

If you can score a Milaana that is quite an example of the evolution where we are now (it is like MFLB meets desktop, stem pure convection on demand unregulated but with actually good batteries) they are no longer made so you would have to grab one on the used market or get lucky somewhere...
This was exactly my way back in the day.
Coming from the Magic Flight box as unregulated vape it seemed totally legit to continue with an improved and more powerfull solution.
I get a Milaana & a Lil Bud. Both out of production nowadays.
It seems TinyMight (1 or 2) is the best bet.
Vapman is also cool, but it switches to a different path.

Shit Snacks

I'm in Europe so the vat discount bit probably doesn't apply here, but I've bookmarked the page so I'll be ordering it when my next paycheck comes in. You've definitely convinced me, thanks again for your expertise!

Oh my mistake, even better reason for you to get the TM though for easy purchase and shipping, save up and get ready to praise up!

CaptBongRipper

Life goes on, man...
TM 2 is excellent. I also have a MFLB and though I love it still, it is positively archaic compared to the TM2. And though TM2 is not cheap, it is definitely worth every penny. You are paying for a very high quality device. But full disclosure, you likely will need to invest in very specific 18650 batteries and a charger unless your usage is very light indeed. Good luck!

Last edited:

René

Is it true that tm2 is not a very durable device? I own a mighty and aM2017, a M 2019, a 5fins titanium tip, a glass stem and a silver FMJ like..no IH just single flame torch..i love short session and that's why i rarely use mighty..i also usually do not use any bubbler..i do not if it worth to buy a tm2 or maybe a dani vape...i rarely vape outside but i do non like desktop unit..my tollerance is not huge but i somethime like lots of sessions with CBD strain..regards

René,

Shit Snacks

Is it true that tm2 is not a very durable device? I own a mighty and aM2017, a M 2019, a 5fins titanium tip, a glass stem and a silver FMJ like..no IH just single flame torch..i love short session and that's why i rarely use mighty..i also usually do not use any bubbler..i do not if it worth to buy a tm2 or maybe a dani vape...i rarely vape outside but i do non like desktop unit..my tollerance is not huge but i somethime like lots of sessions with CBD strain..regards

It would depend how you define durable, it's not like a vap cap with zero going on so if your decision is between a TM and Dani then you're just going to have to decide what you want because they are nothing alike lol

Getting back to the original question, RBT just began selling the final leftover stock of Milaana and Splinter here by the way:

René

...if your decision is between a TM and Dani then you're just going to have to decide what you want because they are nothing alike lol
Both are convention vape(actually dani convection/conduction..letsee anvil VS TM2) ..both hard hitter..both better usable with water..both "on demamd"..tm of course is different(adjustable chamber,battery,session option)but effect and vapour quality should be similar...isn't it?

I mean durable something could last a decade if I don't crash in on the floor or easily fixing without throw out the whole unit...sorry for my bad english

René,

Shit Snacks

Both are convention vape...both hard hitter..both better usable with water..both "on demamd"..tm of course is different(adjustable chamber,battery,session option)but effect and vapour quality should be similar...isn't it?

No, Dani is not convection, TM is pure convection... TM is great dry with various glass... The session option doesn't change anything about it being on demand pure convection either... Yes battery powered full regulation temp control as well... Dani is more of a hybrid like the Dyna, even if you were talking about the Anvil though (hell even thermal accumulator or a lotus which is definitely pure convection) it would still be nothing like the TM...

I mean durable something could last a decade if I don't crash in on the floor or easily fixing without throw out the whole unit...sorry for my bad english

100% the TM2 is that durable, very well made, great fit and finish evolution from the original, even if you drop it it might be okay... Especially if you take good care of your things, it is a great device!

Top Bottom