• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Martial Arts Thread - digital davinci, hazy?

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Digital, I got your email and replied but haven't heard back from you. Figure we can put together a small martial arts thread here. Any questions, comments? Any good stories about good martial artists that love to vape?

stonemonkey55,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
Hey SM55!!! I got your email, but I've been at work since yesterday really. I get a break on Friday (almost 4 days straight working with 4 - 5 hours of sleep per night), and I'll be happy to contribute then. I like the idea of multiple styles for a non-traditional way of practicing martial arts. I've been looking up different stlyes for a few hours today, and I'll be much more informed by the weekend.

I have practiced Tea Kwon Do and a little Judo, but I am thinking it is time to jump into something different. My workouts are getting boaring. Up and down an imaginary mountian for 20 miles on my bike 5 days a week, and work out with 40lb each dumb bells for my weight sessions 2 times a week for an hour. Not really enough of a workout. More of the bare minimum.

I think it is time for me to prepare for the mountians of the NW USA. I'm headding to either Seattle or Reamond Washington, Portland Oregon, or somewhere around San Fran (Where I really hope!). I'm a 3d artist, so the NW USA is the Mecca in my industry. Any of the places mentioned will give me access to the mountians, great trails, and many "pound chest" excursions for the future (CAN'T WAIT). So...Time to get my new body ready for such punishment. Plus I want to improve my cardio health, while possible forming a bit more of a self confident attitude. All of this plus my wife and I are trying for childern, and the need/want/requirement to be able to protect them to the best of my ability has peaked my interest in martial arts lately.

A well rounded mind, body, and spirt can only help in life. When I was in martial arts I was the happiest, clamest, and most confident I've ever been. Just got too expensive. After thinking of the money I spent on my/our "hobby"...I realized I need a head check. Money to become healthy, or money to become high all the time. I'd rather spend money on being health, and spend a little on getting high. PRIORITIES DD!! Now just to figure out what path to take...

DD

Talk to you guys more on this later in the week.

DigitalDavinci,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
AofZ ? of course, martial arts is inclusive and not exclusive!

DD, I totally respect where you are at with our hobby and where you are at in your life. Sometimes I wonder about how much I spend on this hobby and while the amount might sound like a lot to a regular person, it?s not really all that much compared to the overall spending I do each month on bills, food, gas, living, etc etc. I pay cash for my car, I have no debt except for a mortgage, and honestly, I think it?s the herb that helps me even deal with my job. No one said work had to be fun, but it?s definitely a grind, especially out here in the Silicon Valley where folks are cut throat and have the ?what have you done for me lately?? attitude.

All the more reason to vape, train, and live a prosperous life outside of work. If you make it to the SF bay area, I?m sure you can find some work. The dreamworks studio that produced Shrek is in the adjacent building to me and companies like Adobe and Lucas Arts are all close by. If you move out here, you can even train at my friend?s gym, Undisputed. Awesome environment!

stonemonkey55,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
That would be amazing man. I can wait to get out there. I just want to be sure the everyone understands I FEEL that I am spending too much money on MJ, and the complaining about my health is only inhibiting me from happiness through action. I would never be so brash as to say anyone is spending too much (Not that you were saying I was). That is relative to the person. Just if I spend a bit less then I can afford to take classes, train, and feel so much better that I won't need to smoke so much herb. The whole Lion King ...circle of life bullshit. lol

I'm looking forward to picking your brain, and who knows...getting some pointers if I move to the Bay area. You sound like a cool cat, and I still am dying to try the VHW!!! hehe

DD

DigitalDavinci,

Dr. Dope

I use to train in jiu-jitsu, that was 6 years ago or so, i still stay in shape though.

i did gojuro (sp?) and shotokan karate when i was younger, competed, i got a lot of medals a few trophies.
i had this one event, it was my second tournament and it was sparring, i got disqualified for hitting this other kid in the eye, 3 times in a row. basically we'd start with our hands up and as soon as we could start (literally first punch) i'd throw a left at his head and he'd just step forward and get hit in the eye. that happened 3 times in a row and i got disqualified.

Dr. Dope,

djelimon

Kyokushin, Gojuryu, boxing, judo, jujutsu, taichi, systema, and lots of cross training, especially with wrestlers.

Quit last year because of knee issues and to focus more on work and family. Now I play bass instead. Although I do teach my kid. About 18 years altogether.

Competed some, but the most intense encounters were actually in the non-sporting systema class. Used to have some barn burners, bare knuckle, nads fair game, no padding or mats. But it was with love and we knew how to avoid injury.

djelimon,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
I practiced several martial arts forms, leading up to an extended practice/study of Uechi-ryu karate. I now do a very serious Yoga practice. I miss martial arts a lot, and I think training your mind and body is a tremendously sound practice...Yoga has simply presented itself as a much more holistic form of training than most martial arts I looked into. For all you martial artists who are starting to feel the wear and tear on your joints and muscles, I suggest looking into Yoga...not the glossed over version that is offered in most gyms, or by new-agey self help gurus and the like, etc., but rather by embarking on a personal journey into the very heart of Yogic study and practice, which is actually MUCH more subtle and nuanced than the conventional presentation would have you believe.

That being said, defensive tactics are really invaluable: an old and hackneyed axiom is that the martial artists trains so that he may never have to use his training...well it's funny but true: even the confidence gained from training yourself in martial arts is a huge bolster to ones security against those who might prey upon you...whatever you do, find some way to empower yourself, and make sure it includes toning your body. We put so much focus on our cognitive abilities these days...and yet martial arts seems to be more "in" now than ever before (I'm talking about "our" western culture here, of course). I hope that this popularity shows a rising interest in discipline and training, and not merely in the final outcome of violence and bludgeoning. Another reason I swithced to Yoga is there is zero implication of harm inflicted on another being, even if it is harm in a "defensive" tactic...sometimes the line just becomes a little too thin for my liking. :rolleyes:

partially veiled,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I got into ninjutsu about 20 years ago, and while on a trip to Japan was fortunate enough to train with Masaaki Hatsumi. Since then I've trained in kenjutsu for a year, but it's been a long time now since I've done any martial arts. A year ago I went to a BJJ session and it was great - fairly informal and lots of fun. I think that these days I don't want to put myself in a really disciplined environment that's full of formality and ritual. The other thing I'm becoming more concerned about now is injury, as my body just doesn't seem to bounce back like it used to, and all that partying I did in my 20s and 30s seems to be catching up on me. Self preservation seems to be the theme at the moment. However, for a long time now I've had a niggling sense that I should get back into some kind of martial art. Seeing stonemonkey's video has got me interested again, and I'm thinking that the training environment of Capoeira might be more to my liking these days.

Totally agree with PV about yoga which I've been doing for a while now. Although intended as a technique to prepare the mind for meditation, it will also improve your body (and your life!) for any endeavour, and is an ideal addition to any martial art. Most people underestimate the levels of strength, flexibility, balance, and mental stamina that come from yoga.

hazy,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
PV!!!!!!!!!!!! I just typed in the PD thread that I never see you anymore. So happy to read your post man!!! I too after a little more research have come to the conclusion that tia chi and yoga are going to be my foundation, and I'll still practice a elevated martial art (ie: self defense/fight style) SM55 suggested a trio of practices, but I feel my spirt and mind is more unhealthy than my body. Therefor I feel Yoga and Tia Chi will better suit me for my main problem areas, and the one style of martial arts will give me the self confidence I so despretly need. Not to mention to give me the ability to protect my wife, and children to come.

I'm still going to continue to bend SM55's ear about styles of martial arts, but I'm quite happy with the idea of two peacful/soulful workouts, and one explosive/trainnning type workout. What do you think? I like the idea, but I know it will cost a lot of cash. I'll have to go to two seperate gyms most likely. Practicing an Indian and Asian ritual/practice mean it will be unlikely to find both in the same place. As for martial arts, since I want to practice Tia Chi, then amybe I'll go for a Japaneese style? Any thoughts?

Well off to work again,

DD

DigitalDavinci,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Wow, very interesting posts and it kinds shows the diversity of this forum. As for myself, my training consists of judo, tkd, boxing, kickboxing, capoeira, and jiu jitsu. I started off boxing and then got into kickboxing but was basically just my arms against them bexause my kickn was non existent. Started taking clases in tkd because IMO they had the most powerful kicking tehniques to bring my legs up to speed with my hands. Most of my training g has been geared to fighting but like most of us in our 30s, I realized there is more to this than just kicking ass.

Tai chi is an awesome art form. I practiced diligently in Taiwan for 6 months and you will become very in tuned with your bodies on energy flow. The only problem is finding a teacher who can artiulate the teachings in plain English. I have not found one since I have come back but still practice the basic movements to improve my body circulation and energy flow.

I want to type so much more but I have only my iPhone right now and mythimbs are tired. Def love to see all the participation tho. I really beleive for myself, there is def a place for herb and martial arts to help you progress spiritually and physically. I feel that by vaping, I am closer to my true self and don't have to be the alpha male that society seems to praise so much. By being closer to my true self while trainig the Li d and body reaps awesome dividends on clarity of what you want and clarity if themind

stonemonkey55,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
dj thanks for those links, will check em out and let u know what I think

stonemonkey55,
Top Bottom