• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Making Concentrates Edible

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Back in mid March, when the coronavirus lockdowns and restrictions began, I went on a buying spree before the adult use stores were closed in the next state, and so have a stock of multiple kinds of shatter, wax, sauce, crystals, crumble, etc., as well as a small amount of excellent flower. Though I'm having a lot of fun, I just can't vape it all fast enough, in part because of no sharing and also being an older dude who smoked cigarettes for more than fifty years. Other than the six different concentrates in my current rotation, all the other concentrates are in the freezer. Now the dry fall weather has aggravated my breathing issues, and so I'd like to cut back on vaping and do more edibles. (Doctor says I'm basically fine and I do still bike up serious hills for fun.) Because I much prefer vaping to edibles, I don't have any edibles saved and would rather not do the six or seven hour round trip down to Mass for more.

So my questions: Are concentrates edible, decarboxylated? If so, can I just eat some concentrate? If not, is it possible to make the concentrates edible themselves or edible when cooked? Pretty potent stuff, but as a daily(nightly) concentrate user I have a high tolerance--the last time I tried edibles, it took six .5 pieces to get me off. Thanks.

PS: I realize that my "problem" would be the envy for many folks.

shredder

Back in mid March, when the coronavirus lockdowns and restrictions began, I went on a buying spree before the adult use stores were closed in the next state, and so have a stock of multiple kinds of shatter, wax, sauce, crystals, crumble, etc., as well as a small amount of excellent flower. Though I'm having a lot of fun, I just can't vape it all fast enough, in part because of no sharing and also being an older dude who smoked cigarettes for more than fifty years. Other than the six different concentrates in my current rotation, all the other concentrates are in the freezer. Now the dry fall weather has aggravated my breathing issues, and so I'd like to cut back on vaping and do more edibles. (Doctor says I'm basically fine and I do still bike up serious hills for fun.) Because I much prefer vaping to edibles, I don't have any edibles saved and would rather not do the six or seven hour round trip down to Mass for more.

So my questions: Are concentrates edible, decarboxylated? If so, can I just eat some concentrate? If not, is it possible to make the concentrates edible themselves or edible when cooked? Pretty potent stuff, but as a daily(nightly) concentrate user I have a high tolerance--the last time I tried edibles, it took six .5 pieces to get me off. Thanks.

PS: I realize that my "problem" would be the envy for many folks.

I use concentrates for edibles all the time. They are less hassle than edibles from herb and easier to figure the strength. Just calculate the total mg and divide by the servings.

I don't decarb my rso since it's already decarbed. And I don't decarb rosin either after trying it and not noticing a difference. If my edibles have some thca or cbda's, so be it.

Depending on your desired expectations you may want to decarb or not. If you do it's pretty simple.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Thanks. You're encouraging. So you think I can just take a dab on a cracker of something and get rocked. I need to get straight before I try! I really do have enough to experiment...and I should.

Actually I've used store-bought RSO as an edible and found it very good. But I never think of RSO as a concentrate because its no very good for vaping, but obviously it is a concentrate. But I've always thought RSO was decarbed and other concentrates weren't.

How do you decarb other concentrates?

Jeez, it shouldn't take much. A small but nice dab will give me three or four nice milky hits. If I ate that much or maybe a little more, it should do the job. Right?

Polarbearboy,
Reactions: shredder

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i use the Ardent NOVA to decarb herb before i do an ethanol extraction. Ardent has accessories to put extracts in the NOVA.
link: ardentcannabis.com

NOVA takes about 90 minutes to decarb and there is no odor.

i finished taking 150cc of RSO for 30 days to assist a squamous cell carcinoma re-excision several weeks ago - pathology said in situ. i like sublingual rather than swallowing the RSO - no stomach upset.

Hippie Dickie,

shredder

Thanks. You're encouraging. So you think I can just take a dab on a cracker of something and get rocked. I need to get straight before I try! I really do have enough to experiment...and I should.

Actually I've used store-bought RSO as an edible and found it very good. But I never think of RSO as a concentrate because its no very good for vaping, but obviously it is a concentrate. But I've always thought RSO was decarbed and other concentrates weren't.

Jeez, it shouldn't take much. A small but nice dab will give me three or four nice milky hits. If I ate that much or maybe a little more, it should do the job. Right?

If you put a dab on a cracker it might rock your world if its decarbed. Best to estimate the dosage beforehand. A gram of concentrate can be 750mg to 900mg or more, one tenth of that (900mg) is 90mg. A big boy dose, lol.

For decarbing, cooking it in a recipe could decarb it. Or in the oven alone or in a oil/butter. 240F should do it for 20 minutes or so. If you decarb the concentrate by itself, look for the bubbles to cease forming.

damm

I use boiling water; initially, I did 90 minutes to decarb and 90 minutes to infuse. I stopped doing that and boil it for 90 minutes now, and it seems to decarb and infuse at the same time.

The picture below is some Monolith I turned into gelcaps yesterday. 7g of flower 20% return barely.

Normally I use 10ml of Coconut oil per gram of concentrate. I always add sunflower lecithin to help the infusion process.

I know there is THCa leftover in the process as I am not using an oven to decarb; there are benefits.

00 vegan gel caps and a syringe to fill them up, and you are on your way.

You should add more Coconut Oil than I do as this should be ridiculously strong. Do the math, and be careful not to land upon the floor, unable to get up.​

Sparkpug

I sometimes do something similar to @damm above. I use decarbed hash oil mixed with coconut oil and divvy it up into gel caps to make single strain "edibles". I've currently got 5 I made with Agent Orange (one of my favorite vaporized painkillers.)

My first legit experience was off a 40mg pure sativa mix capsule I got at my dispensary. I had a trip and it was amazing, but was over somewhat quickly. However, I have edibles issues. Due to a super high metabolism most likely they don't affect me how I want. I tend to get really high in the first few hours then it fades away and is over by 4 hours -it doesn't last.

Sparkpug,

damm

I like to do 1g coconut oil per gram of concentrate 👽 👽 👽 👽 👽
Do you test your potency to see if it comes out as potent as you hope?

I sometimes do something similar to @damm above. I use decarbed hash oil mixed with coconut oil and divvy it up into gel caps to make single strain "edibles". I've currently got 5 I made with Agent Orange (one of my favorite vaporized painkillers.)

My first legit experience was off a 40mg pure sativa mix capsule I got at my dispensary. I had a trip and it was amazing, but was over somewhat quickly. However, I have edibles issues. Due to a super high metabolism most likely they don't affect me how I want. I tend to get really high in the first few hours then it fades away and is over by 4 hours -it doesn't last.

Do you use any lecithin? That may be the reason why it doesn't affect you the way you want. Without any, the edibles don't always work, and when they do, it's a 2-4hour long high that fades quickly after 4 hours.

shredder

I like to do 1g coconut oil per gram of concentrate 👽 👽 👽 👽 👽

I made some capsules recently that I take at night, but they keep me high to the afternoon of the next day, and they're not as strong as yours, lol.

I used 6 grams of a potent RSO, 1 gram cbd rosin, 2 tsp sunflower lecithin, 3 fluid ounce of coconut oil. That in size 00 gel caps gave me 95 or so capsules of roughly 70mg each.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Do you test your potency to see if it comes out as potent as you hope?

Like analytical testing from a lab? Nah, haven't done that, but they're quite potent, the solubility of coconut oil is very high! Much higher than the ethanol I have access to. More of a recreational experience as I find tolerance builds fairly quickly.

I made some capsules recently that I take at night, but they keep me high to the afternoon of the next day, and they're not as strong as yours, lol.

I used 6 grams of a potent RSO, 1 gram cbd rosin, 2 tsp sunflower lecithin, 3 fluid ounce of coconut oil. That in size 00 gel caps gave me 95 or so capsules of roughly 70mg each.

Lol yeah I should have probably left a disclaimer that people should check the math before attempting those, IIRC they are around 250mg at that ratio, NOT for the faint of heart :mmmm: :whoa: I call them "time capsules" and also "horse tranquilizers"

Obviously at that dosage you don't get very many caps per gram.... so they're ideal to make when using someone elses oil :lol::lol::lol:

The ones you made sound like a better daily supplement, that's about where I like them for a regular regiment.

invertedisdead,

bulllee

Agent Provocateur
Yup, I use sunflower lecithin, very sticky shit. I have used soy based granules in the past. All depends on what I'm cooking with. :D

bulllee,

shredder

Anyone tried rosin in edibles? To me its a different type of effect over the rso I normally use. I think its the terpenes.

My wife used one gram of rosin in a box brownie mix. They were really good but I forget the brand. We got 18 big brownies. I use 750mg for figuring the total cannabinoids in a gram of flower rosin. 750 divided by 18 brownies makes them 41.6 mg each. A nice amount imho. And they went fast.

bulllee

Agent Provocateur
IMG_4488.JPG
5 grams of ethanol reclaim evaporate. I love using this in my cookies. So easy and clean to work with. I still prefer a good cannabutter buzz, but the high on this shit is off the charts. :D

damm

Anyone tried rosin in edibles? To me its a different type of effect over the rso I normally use. I think its the terpenes.

My wife used one gram of rosin in a box brownie mix. They were really good but I forget the brand. We got 18 big brownies. I use 750mg for figuring the total cannabinoids in a gram of flower rosin. 750 divided by 18 brownies makes them 41.6 mg each. A nice amount imho. And they went fast.

It depends on what kind of Rosin. Hash Rosin is a great head high, whereas Flower Rosin is more of a Body High. I prefer the Body High; however, I make Hash Rosin edibles in smaller doses to be productive.

bulllee

Agent Provocateur
It depends on what kind of Rosin. Hash Rosin is a great head high, whereas Flower Rosin is more of a Body High. I prefer the Body High; however, I make Hash Rosin edibles in smaller doses to be productive.
I've never tried cooking with rosin. Sounds intriguing. Are there any tips or suggestion when using rosin to cook with ? Do you infuse into fat first ? Any need to decarb ? As heating it slowly should decarb ? I've never used it to cook with so idk. Out of all the concentrates rosin is my favorite, but it's also $$$ around here. Thinking of squishing my own. :D

Tuck

At my dispensary, the shatter, crumble, and rosin are not decarbed. The distillate is decarbed. And of course, the RSO is decarbed. Decarbing is easy though. I use a ceramic ramekin covered in foil, I will put a gram in the oven at 200F for 20 min. Then I'll add my fat (and lecithin) and put it back in the oven for another 20 - 30 minutes.

damm

I've never tried cooking with rosin. Sounds intriguing. Are there any tips or suggestion when using rosin to cook with ? Do you infuse into fat first ? Any need to decarb ? As heating it slowly should decarb ? I've never used it to cook with so idk. Out of all the concentrates rosin is my favorite, but it's also $$$ around here. Thinking of squishing my own. :D

Decarbing the product is required unless it has been done already. Personally, I used boiling water, but others prefer the oven.

If you buy Rosin, you should pay attention to the product or ask questions. For Example, Rosin Sauce, you may not need to decarb if they used a certain method. Otherwise, Squish away as that is what I do.

The process I used is outlined in previous posts on this thread.

I am using a past tense because I am switching up boiling water for Sous Vide. Boiling water for 90 minutes is quite a chore and can get moldy in the PNW if you are not careful.

shredder

I use 750 mg for a gram of rosin to figure medible amounts. Rosin tests at 75% cannabinoids on average.

The taste is not great, I think due to the terpenes because it tastes worse than rso. So it helps to hide the taste in medibles and baring that, just make capsules. Chocolate is time tested to hide the weed taste, high sugar medibles help as well. The taste of course gets worse with the amounts added but it can be hid in a recipe.

Usually we use an oil or butter but not always. Lecithin is a emulsifier, and using it can make rosin/hash oil mix with with water based things. For chocolates we mix rso or rosin with sunflower powdered lecithin and a tiny amount of coconut oil. After it all melts together we mix it with chocolate and fill silicone molds. I also add about 15 drops of sweet orange oil per cup of chocolate. The edible orange oil helps hide the mj taste plus is full of limonene, a terpene known for energy and an uplifting feeling.

Another option is a rosin tincture using either strong alcohol or an oil.

The best option, over buying, is squeezing your own for sure.

Edit, I forgot to adress decarbing. I dont decarb rosin. Ive tried it but don't notice any difference. And if I get some thca or cbda, so be it.

Last edited:

damm

I use 750 mg for a gram of rosin to figure medible amounts. Rosin tests at 75% cannabinoids on average.

The taste is not great, I think due to the terpenes because it tastes worse than rso. So it helps to hide the taste in medibles and baring that, just make capsules. Chocolate is time tested to hide the weed taste, high sugar medibles help as well. The taste of course gets worse with the amounts added but it can be hid in a recipe.

That's why I use Gelcaps. The only time I taste it is when I burp, which over time, I stopped caring about that. Flower Rosin can be pretty tasty, and some of the Hash Rosin I get has a pretty decent terp ratio (over 4% the Chocotina pills I have been using are at 6.5% from the store).

Regarding decarbing: my experience is the gelcaps work without. The potency is much higher with decarbing, but you can lose terpenes if you get too hot.

damm,

shredder

The potency is much higher with decarbing
That's what I expected, but not the results I had after trying both decarbed and not decarbed rosin used in medibles.
Its probably related to the heat, pressure and age of the buds, but to us there wasn't a detectable difference. Without testing its hard to say for sure, but I suspect there is at least some thca and cbda in our medibles. Not that it matters a lot to me since the acid form of thc and cbd has significant medical values anyway, and we take them as medicine. But thats what I found, decarbing rosin didn't matter, ymmv.

damm

That's what I expected, but not the results I had after trying both decarbed and not decarbed rosin used in medibles.
Its probably related to the heat, pressure and age of the buds, but to us there wasn't a detectable difference. Without testing its hard to say for sure, but I suspect there is at least some thca and cbda in our medibles. Not that it matters a lot to me since the acid form of thc and cbd has significant medical values anyway, and we take them as medicine. But thats what I found, decarbing rosin didn't matter, ymmv.
Decarbing starts when the flower cures. Once you press it, you decarb it more. So when you shove it in the oven at 250 for 30 minutes, it will start to turn to CBN as it was over-decarbed. So when you do it, if you can pay attention to when the bubbles stop and pull it out, that should get you close to fully decarbed.

Yeah, without testing, it's really hard, so that was my plan next month. Buying a Sous Vide and a tester so I can make small batches and do testing.

shredder

Yeah, without testing, it's really hard, so that was my plan next month. Buying a Sous Vide and a tester so I can make small batches and do testing.

Not great reviews on home thc testers, but we love our sous vide.

We have a couple porterhouse steaks in a sous vide bath as I write this. Yum yum

shredder,
Top Bottom