Discontinued MagickWand Vaporizer

Hammerzeit

HiPi said:
Also I'm very open to hearing more ideas regarding the sleeving options. I have found some stuff that can "reduce an outer temperature of 380 F (194C) to approx: 130F (54C). " But of course most things I'm finding aren't very aesthetically pleasing. Maybe I should start including/ have the option to include some sort of heat barrier glove or cloth for more manageable use during longggggggggggggg sessions. Let me know what you guys think!

Water jacket? Forced air cooling with the bag blowing unit? :p

Hammerzeit,

caseball2051

hits so thick i coughed.

this has been my daily driver for about two weeks. full review coming in a couple days. Ive been trying to get a good video the past few nights. Ive white-walled my EHLE a few times, a niight... ;)

caseball2051,
I may have mentioned this before in other threads, but when I used to blow glass we had little squares of fabric which I was told were kevlar, used to handle hot glass out of the kiln and also to wipe off nasty kiln dust. Try looking into those, Hipi. A bulk order might be very reasonable and you could sell them at a modest profit to those who require the extra protection.

I never really had any issues with the MW getting too hot to hold.. It did get very warm for sure, after a few hours use. Those looking to toughen up their fingers should start playing bass guitar, does wonders for pains in your hands, too... I use to literally cry out sometimes when I grabbed something the wrong way it would hurt so bad, now its a non issue. I thank string instruments and hop-heavy beers.

charliedontsurf,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
As I told Hipi, I really think a color policy on the silicone rings would be a real 1st step for mass selling:

the 3 first rings around the heater: danger RED!
The sleeve below the cord: beware ORANGE!
The last ring: no prob' BLUE!

BTW i have always used my MW by the supposed "blu" ring as stated, never had a problem even with a 12H running MW! ;)

FLskwat,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
FLskwat said:
As I told Hipi, I really think a color policy on the silicone rings would be a real 1st step for mass selling:

the 3 first rings around the heater: danger RED!
The sleeve below the cord: beware ORANGE!
The last ring: no prob' BLUE!

BTW i have always used my MW by the supposed "blu" ring as stated, never had a problem even with a 12H running MW! ;)

I have been certain when explaining to friends how to use the MW to be careful, as the bottom is hot enough to burn you. But, i have not noticed the MW becoming any harder to handle after 2 hrs, then after 2 days. Once it gets to that max temp., keeping it their does not seem to cause a hotter unit.

The MW is currently heating i usually turn it on 30 or 40mins before i use it, as it works a lot better after the entire unit is warm. Not sure if the newer models have silicone closer to the top, but it would be a nice way to cover the electrical tape over the wires, and also add some heat protection at the same time. Cheers.

IAmKrazy2,

hereatlast

HiPi, wondering if the newest batch of the MagicWand is any different than the last? Sounds like heat protection and bag-blowing are the next minor progressions?

caseball, looking forward to the review. A few more vids will definitely be nice in this thread.

hereatlast,

HiPi

C.Taylor
Manufacturer
hereatlast said:
HiPi, wondering if the newest batch of the MagicWand is any different than the last? Sounds like heat protection and bag-blowing are the next minor progressions?

caseball, looking forward to the review. A few more vids will definitely be nice in this thread.
Bag blowing is capable on all units. We are revising the blower unit and experimenting with compression vs fans. Heat protection hasnt been an issue for most people but I find that people who must use the MW vertically are the ones with the heat issue so to address this we are designing a glove for vaporizing use. This will be a nice addition

HiPi,

HiPi

C.Taylor
Manufacturer
Small Update

I am getting new screens manufactured that are a much finer mesh and much more stable. They should solve the issues of material getting through and not being able to stir easily.

Also we have decided to start looking for a nice heat safe glove to include with the MagickWand to keep the unit looking neat but to also keep fingers safe.

HiPi,

hereatlast

Got my unit last night. Still testing, will drop pics/vid/small review after the weekend.

This has been my favorite piece to hit it with so far, lots more testing needed.
P6030072.jpg

hereatlast,

arf777

No longer dogless
That definitely has more silicone than my slightly older unit - I only have the bottom four rings. But I have never burned myself on this, ever. Of course I owned a VHW for a couple years before this, so I'm used to the issue.

FInally posting my three way comparison - LSV v VHW v Magick Wand. Long delay due to my post office losing the 18mm bowl three - yes, three - times. Hipi kept resending it to the right address- great service! - but my post office is so crappy it has made the news.
Sorry no pics- due to my job and the law where I live, can't do it. All testing was on a Luke Wilson-Dewaar 15 arm bubbler, a Grid inline layback, and a custom mini-bubbler with an Alex K shower head.

Summary - the Magick Wand is without a doubt the best value of the three wands. It matches or exceeds the performance of the LSV for far less money. Not quite as nice pulls as with the VHW, but it doesn;t have the constant falling over / what to do with it between hits problem that the VHW has. Have already owned the MW longer than my 2nd VHW lasted.

The Magick Wand has, far and away, the best bowl design of any of these, IMO. The fact that I can leave it on the bowl between sessions with no damage to my herbs - as a test, left it at ~3 o'clock on the dial with fresh herbs for an hour, no change in color - also gives it a huge advantage. Though it is probably just as delicate as the VHW - after all, both glass around a ceramic heater - leaving it safely on the bowl in my water tool means it doesn't have the biggest problem the VHW has. The biggest problem there, IMO and experience, is it getting broken while sitting on a table or in a cup between sessions. Both my VHWs broke while sitting between sessions, falling off the table in one case, out of the cup in the other. Never an issue with the MW.

The LSV deals with the falling issue with an aluminum casing, making it extremely sturdy. But unlike the MW, the placement of the air intake on the LSV does not allow the user to control the airflow. Which makes it a far less flexible vape than the MW (you cannot due that on the VHW either, but I never found it necessary).

Overall, the only thing that either does better than the MW is the VHW's all glass air path. This plus the way they narrow and channel the air flow is why the VHW gives superior rips. Not hugely superior, mid you, but closer to a true milk-hit that looks identical to combustion. Only the VHW and the Supreme easily produce milkier hits than the MW (you can get a milkier hit with a PD, but your lungs work MUCH harder). My dream wand would be to combine the venturi-effect air flow of the VHW with the bowl setup of the MW.

So the only recommendation I'd have for a future iteration of the MW is to channel the air down narrower passageways, which at the same time can prevent the air from ever touching the ceramic, a la the VHW (assuming that wouldn't violate a patent). I only notice a difference in taste on the highest-grade herbs, but some people are obsessed with a glass-only air path, being able to claim that will likely get more folks to try this vape.

I have not tried bags with the MW, but I'm not a bag man. I like my glass water tools. Though I did try the MW with a whip, and it is certainly better than my other old whip units.

A great vaporizer. Glad I got it while waiting for the VXC.

arf777,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
So I just bought my second wand. Its for a buddy this time. He likes my unit so much, he decided he needed his own. We also tried using my wand on the road via a power inverter. Our inverter shows watts under load and when the wand was plugged into the inverter and turned on to full power, it registered 44 watts...so its a really small appliance. I thought we would need at least 250 or so and we bought a 400 just to be safe. Worked out great.

finchrock24,
44 watts? That's nothing, good to see that it isn't expensive to leave your MW on hour after hour. I too have a friend who wets himself whenever he used the wand, and would order one if he weren't minimizing his habit.

Great review Arf! Good, honest info, and unsurprisingly overwhelmingly positive.

Hipi, I'm still waiting on my other wand. I emailed you back about a week ago and haven't heard since. Thanks.

charliedontsurf,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Hipi, I recieved my order receipt but haven't heard anything else. Are the wands on back order or are you able to ship on demand at the present moment? I'm just trying to get an idea of what tell my buddy...if he should expect it soon, of if you have to assemble then ship at what not.

Thanks

finchrock24,

HiPi

C.Taylor
Manufacturer
finchrock24 said:
Hipi, I received my order receipt but haven't heard anything else. Are the wands on back order or are you able to ship on demand at the present moment? I'm just trying to get an idea of what tell my buddy...if he should expect it soon, of if you have to assemble then ship at what not.

Thanks

We do have to do manufacturing before units are sent out, the next round are already being put together and will be ready to ship before the end of the week (Friday). So be expecting a confirmation/tracking number in your e-mail on or before then.

We currently have an order of 500 parts in production right now and once those come in the manufacturing process will be streamlined meaning no more waiting after you order just ready made wands waiting to be shipped out. I really appreciate all the support and patience from the community. Its good to have customer support for a start-up home based business, makes the possibility of becoming a full blown manufacturer/company alot more motivating. We are intending on becoming a fully blown home style business, meaning our customer service is still personal but the products get shipped faster and probably will be better somehow in the end.

Also thank you all for all the reviews being posted its really helpful in the process of perfecting the units. I will be placing many of these reviews on my website (if you do not wish to be included please let me know) to show others a customers p.o.v.

Charliedontsurf are your emails just in spam mode or something because I have ravaged my email inbox for your recent reply but just tell me if you are in state on FC and I will ship it right away.

HiPi,

caseball2051

To preface my review, Id like to say a few things. Ive had my Magickwand (Abbreviated MW, throughout) for around a month now. Its been my (mostly) daily driver since mid may. Ive put it through quite an exhaustive workout. Any comparisons made here are made directly to the MZap. This is the only other home unit that I own, so while they are different, theyre the only things I can compare them to!

Packaging/shipping/customer service I figured I could bundle these nicely. My unit came shipped via USPS. It was shipped on time and made it quickly to my doorstep. The unit was one of the ones shipped out with screenless bowls. This was not an inconvenience to me. HiPi promptly sent me screens and they arrived without a hitch. HiPi has been wonderful to deal with. He has gone to great lengths to ensure my wand got to me. The only gripe I have had was the initial packaging that the unit was sent in. I understand this is being addressed, however.

Now to the unit itself and its accessories.

Build quality The build quality is nice. I like the aesthetics of the unit. I think it looks cool with the wires hanging out, the see through glass and the silicone rings. I think its a cool looking piece. The wire could be a little sturdier, but I dont see it being an issue.

The bowl design is very good. The wand and the bowl come together nicely and come apart easily as well. The screen issue is being addressed, and I, and others, have found long term solutions to the problem. My two screen setup is located (here, insert link to post). HiPi also has stated that new screens are going to be tested to improve this portion of the unit.
The wall adapter also seems to be well made. The knob is easy to turn and the light is a good indication of temperature.

Ease of use The unit shipped without directions. I was lucky enough not to need them, but it is something that probably should be included with each unit. The unit is easy to use. Get your bowl setup with screen, drop some material onto the screen, attach the wand, and let er rip. Gathering tips from owners before me, I plugged the hole on top of the wand and seemed to get better hits. It decreases the airflow and makes the draw speed very similar to vape-bonging my Mzap, which I really liked and made for an easy transition.

This is my first temp variable vape. I really like having the temperature knob and after using this unit, being able to manipulate temp may be a prerequisite to all future vape purchases.

Taste The wand gave hits that were as tasty, or tastier than my Mzap. I really enjoyed the taste. Its super clean.

Effeciency- The unit is surprisingly efficient. I was expecting to be blowing through my herb with the MW but I havent. The MW gave me an efficiency epiphany. While I have used slightly more herb per session in my MW, the bowls last longer and I can take the herb farther with the MW. The AVB has been dark brown and evenly vaped.

Tips/tricks/recommendations /Misc
1. Stirring is essential. This goes without saying for some of you, but Ive never had to stir a bowl before using my MW. Paperclips have been my main tool for this and they work unbelievably well.
2. Start the temps low. I try to make bowls last 15-20 rips. I start my temp knob at around the 1:30 mark3 hits2-2:30 position2 hits.3:00 position (a real sweet spot) 3-4 hits. Then 330-400 2 morefull blast 2 more. Ive had a lot of success with this type of session.
3. Cover the hole on the top of the unit when hitting. It seems to work better, for me.
4. some type of stand/bowl/mat/something would be a cool packaging addition. I set mine down on wood and havent had any issues, however.
5. HiPi, Im not sure how the real world works with this industry, but if you have a glass blower, and sell a vaporizer used primarily with glass pieces, selling glass pieces/wand + glass piece packages might be a logical next step for you!

Conclusion- I have really enjoyed using my MW since Ive owned it. Id recommend them to all my friends. As improvements/modifications come in and are implemented, this unit will be a powerful contender in the vape market. It is priced well, works extremely well, and comes with a great warranty/customer service. Anyone that purchases one of these units will be satisfied with their purchase.

Great work HiPi! If anyone has any questions, I can do my best to answer them. Ive been working on a video, we dont have many of the MW.

caseball2051,

HiPi

C.Taylor
Manufacturer
caseball2051 said:
Ease of use The unit shipped without directions. I was lucky enough not to need them, but it is something that probably should be included with each unit.

This is something I am working on right now. Luckily all these FC members have done really well so far, but its definitely a necessity to add a short instruction set including the tips you guys have helped me gather.

caseball2051 said:
5. HiPi, Im not sure how the real world works with this industry, but if you have a glass blower, and sell a vaporizer used primarily with glass pieces, selling glass pieces/wand + glass piece packages might be a logical next step for you!
Awesome idea! I have thought about this a few times as the bong used in the original MW video was made by the same glass blower who makes the units themselves. I will talk to the glass man soon and see about getting some ideas for pricing and manufacturing time. Does anyone have a particular style of bong that they would like to see offered? The one used in the video is a 14mm double diffused bong. I know there are varied opinions regarding using diffusers with vapor and I'd like to hear some opinions.

caseball2051 said:
Great work HiPi! If anyone has any questions, I can do my best to answer them. Ive been working on a video, we dont have many of the MW.

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the product, I really appreciate the feedback I get. I would love to see some customer videos of the MW!! If anyone makes a video and would like to be featured on the website just let me know and I will make a section for user videos.

HiPi,

caseball2051

ummmmmmmm.....anyone accidentally hit their wand dry yet?

I just did :lol:and whoa thats gettin worked into the rotation.......try that shit :brow:

report back with results!!

caseball2051,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Did you use a bong with no water? Or did you hook up some type of whip?

Stu,

caseball2051

forgot to put water in my EHLE 250....just went with it....was great.

also something i think i forgot to add in my review a few posts above....a MW on high temps will get you 1-2 nice hits out of your Mzap AVB.

caseball2051,
Just received my second Magickwand and it works fantastically. The extra silicone heat protection is a big improvement, and it also softens blows to the body of the MW which would probably shatter it if they hit the glass itself. The whole unit is about an inch longer than the first. Same great flavor.

Got my Hookah bowl too, and while I haven't had a chance to use it yet, I can say the build quality is very high.

Just to be clear, this is the second wand I was promised since I bought the first one, since mine was more or less a beta, with different silicone setup and a different heating element. It was not a warranty replacement - plummeting gin bottles (or any other catastrophic user abuse to the glass) are most likely not covered.

Thanks Hipi, the day or two I've had it again have reminded me that the MW is pretty much my favorite vaporizer. Very effortless, excellent flavor, no tubing, no unwanted conduction heating. It's a truly bitching vape. While the cord could still maybe be more heavy duty, and while I think the bowl design could be improved both to hold the screens better and maybe to constrict airflow more, I can honestly give the MW a 9/10, and distinction as my most used vape.

Edit: sad to say the new MW seems to be have the second tube too close to the first to be used with my glass vapor genie. Little bit of a bummer.

charliedontsurf,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Charlie, your right on. Same reason I love my MW...its simple to use, rips huge, and you can take bowls pretty damn deep. I also agree that the screen could be held in place better, the cord could be more heavy duty, but most importantly, I'd like to see a more narrow bowl to constrict airflow and possible beef up efficiency even more. The second unit I got has a much better feeling knob then my first one. My first units knob wobbles a smidge.

finchrock24,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I am lookin forward to try one of HiPi's vaporizers.. have watched the videos.. I have few questions :)...
I very much like how the mw attaches to the bong... But the incognito looks much more hard to brake than the wand.. And there is my problem i hate Tubings... and brakin glass parts.. :D So... the questions...:L
1:Can the incognito be attached to a bong directly like the magic wand ?
2:If it can will there be difference in the hitting quality - density,flavour, effectiveness.
3:Is it possible to put the mw in the incognitos bottle ?
4:I've read somewhere that the mw is stripped incognito? Is that true?What is the difference in the efficiency and the taste ,density ratio ?

P.S In basics what i want is something that could be used like the mw direct on waterpipe but to be protected like the incognito.. ?
5: Is mw's glass tough ? like Borosilicate glass ?

Abysmal Vapor,
Top Bottom