• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Made My First Batch Of Coconut Oil Canna Caps Last Night

George1151

Bought a Magical Butter Maker last week. Used it last night for first time. This was the first time I have done any cooking with mj.

I used 30 grams of 21% THC Indica Tips from Broken Coast (Canada). I was worried about smelling up my house so I lined a baking dish with parchment paper, put 30 grams on it, covered the pan with aluminum foil and put it into a turkey oven bag and tied it close.

Decarbed at 235F for 40 minutes. Put the pan outside to freeze for an hour. Removing the foil was pretty smelly otherwise it was not bad at at all.

Used 2 cups virgin organic coconut oil which I slowly melted in microwave to liquefy. Added 2 tbs of sunflower liquid lecithin. Set the MBM at 160F for 2 hours. Strained using the included filter. Next time will double filter with cheese cloth as there were still some sludge and small particles (not too bad).

Bought a 00 Cap-M-Quik capsule machine which although pricey for what it is was worth every penny.

Capping 2 cups of oil took me 5 hours with potential for making a smelly mess with each fill.

Was using an oral dental irrigator syringe (curved tip) which was hard as hell to push due to the small opening at the tip. Was very precise though. Then when I was filling it it broke because the rubber o ring at the end of the plunger let go and as I was pulling back hard. Due to the resistance the plunger just released when the o ring came off and got lodged in the syringe and was useless. Plus when it let go under load shit went flying and I was really lucky not to spill my jar with about 2/3 of my batch still in it.

Then switched to a different syringe with a bigger opening at the tip but much less precision for filling and much easier to spill when loading caps. Took forever to load and cap them all this way but at least its done.

Used gel caps 00 The caps are now in dark pill bottles and were placed in the fridge as they were being made. Going to keep them in the fridge in the pill bottles and then in a big ziplock.

Didn't really get to try it yet other than finger licking and scrapping/eating the dregs left from the jar when I got as much as I could for the caps using the syringe.

Burned candles during most of the process to reduce smell (so I had read, seemed to work somewhat).

Only real complaint about the MBM is the minimum required. You need 2 cups of liquid, oil, alcohol etc as a minimum and thus at least an oz of bud which is what I used. Made almost 500 caps and they better work!!! Used the MBM to reduce smell and it was quite good on that front.

The theoretical amount of THC in my 30 grams of 21% should have yielded 6300mg of THC divided by 500 which would make each cap about 12.5% THC assuming full thc extraction which I have no way of knowing.

Will start with 1 and wait 2 hours and then see, probably will need at least 2 if not more.

A lot of effort and $$$ but still less than half price compared to of buying oil from an LP in Canada.

George1151,

witka

jealous on your mb2e ...did u get a good price?...i made my batch yesterday too..i just use the decarb in a jar and stovetop method..i looove using sunflower lechitin makes it more potent.....http://imgur.com/a/EXKpx ..i had one bullet last night and 1hr later i was ripped.. will try half of one tonight... i agree the problem with homemade is precision...but way cheaper then LP oil

witka,

George1151

@witka how much bud did you use and how did you make yours? When you say bullets what do you mean? Looks like you poured the oil into a mold and cooled. No caps? Do you know how big your bullets are compared to a bit less than 1ml in a 00 cap? I took one about 2.5 hours ago and not feeling much, a bit but just took another one.

A bit disappointed in the strength but I it's only the 1st one I have tried.

Sent you a PM

George1151,

George1151

So far I have to say I am very disappointed with the potency of my efforts posted in the first post. I took 1 of my supposedly 12% 00 caps and felt next to nothing. Long and short is every 2 hours I took another and stopped after 5 or 6 over a 10 hour period. What I have not done is taken 3 together at the same time. Any tips on what was missing? I know the MBM2e requires a lot of oil as a minimum (2 cups) and to that I added an oz of 21% THC Indica which had been decarbed. So much work filling the capsule and a lot of $$ for not much of a result.

George1151,
Reactions: mixchu69

StiltedLimboDancer

I'm sorry to hear that your method didn't work as expected.

I can say that this method works wonderfully:

I had 10 gr above mid grade buds and infused 500ml of coconut oil with it.

One teaspoon of the finished oil is right on point for me...

StiltedLimboDancer,

mtnbike420

Thanks for the detailed write up. Have you joined the mb United fb page yet @George1151? The group recomends the low and slow method for coconut oil.

mtnbike420,

witka

I'm sorry to hear that your method didn't work as expected.

I can say that this method works wonderfully:

I had 10 gr above mid grade buds and infused 500ml of coconut oil with it.

One teaspoon of the finished oil is right on point for me...

I don't like the idea of decarb IN oil... I would think the oil would affect the breakdown of thc effectively
Everywhere i've read says decarb first

my batch the other day was 20grams in about 250ml of oil. I think it's too strong.
1ml cannaoil bullet feels like a whole joint

I guess the choice is potency vs quantity

Next time I will try 10gr in 250ml maybe

witka,

MinnBobber

So far I have to say I am very disappointed with the potency of my efforts posted in the first post. I took 1 of my supposedly 12% 00 caps and felt next to nothing
Is it possible that your decarb method was lacking? With all those layers (baking dish, aluminum foil, turkey bag), maybe it was insulated and 235 F for 45 minutes was not enough time. Always better IMO to go a little longer on decarb, just to be sure. With 30 grams of 21% virgin bud, that oil should kick arse....

I would have done something like 230 F for 90 minutes.
Anyone have experience with decarbing with many layers of bags/dishes?

George1151

@witka we should trade lol.

@MinnBobber that thought did cross my mind. I was a bit worried about burning it and some people recommend decarb at lower temps so I don't really know. The turkey bag is so thin it is hard to imagine that would affect temps. A lot of people cover their pan with foil to reduce smell when decarbing and none of the places I looked at suggested longer or higher temp because of the foil.

The other reason for failure might have been the 2 hour setting at 160 as recommended by MBM.

I agree I was expecting it to kick arse too. 6 caps later over 8 hours I have to say it doesn't although it is not a complete dud given what I put into it it should rock more than it does.

Because of the 2 cup oil minimum and the 30g of high quality tips it is an expensive experiment. Not to mention 5 hours to cap it all.

@mtnbike420 Do you have a link to the fb page you are referring to? All I get when googling is something for Montego Bay United FC.

Mod note: Three posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
George1151,

witka

@witka we should trade lol.

how many caps did u make?

Update on my bullets, so my 20gr + 250mil(ish) made 65 1ml caps which i just cut all in half so i have 120ish super potent 10/10 thc cbd bullets.

So far i've done 1 full (swallowed) 2 hrs later i was wrecked.
then yest I did 1/2 swallowed got feeling pretty good, this am trying 1/2 under the tongue

ohh forgot to mention i froze the herbs the day before i made this

Last edited:
witka,

OldOyler

Fire it again. I can still find the ground.
Peace all,

I can see you folks are rolling along. Still I am always a pain in the arse...

QWET that material first, and decarb the oil per skunk pharm or whatever you would like similar. I don't ever let herb touch the oven. (I do not use skunk pharm's prep step of doing so, either)

The only way to truly know the state of decarb is to *watch* the decarb bubbles while in a veg-oil type bath at 248F.

Otherwise the same decarb method can give wildly different results between runs, even with the same general type of material.

Just my strong suggestion, I used their Holy Anointing Oil as a sublingual pain treatment and in caps for cancer treatment.

Both would *consistently* melt my face off.

Peace, here's some links, didn't honestly mean to intrude. :peace:

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

And this stuff is awesome, and you can easily up the coconut oil for whatever consistency you would like:

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/holy-anointing-oil-and-holy-shit/

JRyan

Bought a Magical Butter Maker last week. Used it last night for first time. This was the first time I have done any cooking with mj.

I used 30 grams of 21% THC Indica Tips from Broken Coast (Canada). I was worried about smelling up my house so I lined a baking dish with parchment paper, put 30 grams on it, covered the pan with aluminum foil and put it into a turkey oven bag and tied it close.

I've found that the minimum for a positive experience is 28g (ounce) material, and 236ml (US-Cup) of virgin coconut oil.

Personally I've found 42g material, and 236ml of virgin coconut oil, to be just perfect.

Here's why...

42g / 236ml = .177g/ml

.177g/ml * .9/ml (#00 Capsule) = .16g per capsule

To put things further into perspective. I own a Mighty and a Crafty VAP. They hold approximately .3g/ea. I typically load up .15g per session. I used this to estimate somewhere around .15g per capsule.

At this strength I dose one capsule, 3-4x per day. Certainly no complaints from my many test subjects, that's for sure.

**This is not scientific. Simply gave me a target to shoot for.**

Used 2 cups virgin organic coconut oil which I slowly melted in microwave to liquefy. Added 2 tbs of sunflower liquid lecithin. Set the MBM at 160F for 2 hours. Strained using the included filter. Next time will double filter with cheese cloth as there were still some sludge and small particles (not too bad).

I find 4 hours @ 160°F, to be the most effective.

Was using an oral dental irrigator syringe (curved tip) which was hard as hell to push due to the small opening at the tip. Was very precise though. Then when I was filling it it broke because the rubber o ring at the end of the plunger let go and as I was pulling back hard. Due to the resistance the plunger just released when the o ring came off and got lodged in the syringe and was useless. Plus when it let go under load shit went flying and I was really lucky not to spill my jar with about 2/3 of my batch still in it.

Loose the syringe idea. People are nucking futs.

When I used e-cigarettes to finally hand my tobacco monkey a righteous ass kicking. I would use these to dispense my e-liquid.

I can cap 944ml in less than two hours!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BPW36S0/

https://www.amazon.com/Dispensing-Needle-Plastic-Tapered-0-035id/dp/B001QQ6MO0/

Only real complaint about the MBM is the minimum required. You need 2 cups of liquid, oil, alcohol etc as a minimum and thus at least an oz of bud which is what I used. Made almost 500 caps and they better work!!! Used the MBM to reduce smell and it was quite good on that front.

This is why I only purchase wholesale, once a year. 168g will provide me enough oil for 10-12 months. It works out to roughly $5.50/day, including all supplies.

JRyan,

George1151

@JRyan thx for the feedback. I did in fact run mine for 4 hours when I did the batch. I ran it first for 2 hours and then I did another cycle for 2 more all at 160f.

I am very disappointed in the results so far. I can take 5 caps at once and feel ok but not particularly high. All that coconut leaves you burping canna/coconut for a few hours afterwards, not terrible but not great. I have also tried eating part of sludge both on its own and with the oil. There is some potency in the sludge but not a ton.

To be honest if I had to do it over again I am not sure I would have bought the MBM because at 2 cups minimum liquid and 60 to 100 g per 2 cups (I used 30g of 21% lab certified weed and it is not nearly enough) you just need to either grow your own or own a bank to afford getting things right.

Their recipes for the basic creations (oil/tincture) call for 7 to 14g per cup. I used the max and it is really weak. If they told people you need double to triple the bud to make anything effective I doubt many people would buy it.

In Canada I can buy LP oil that if you shop carefully seems less expensive than making your own with such large amounts of herb. If I want to try another batch its like $500 just for bud and now I am not sure I trust it.

Live and learn I guess.

George1151,

JRyan

@JRyan thx for the feedback. I did in fact run mine for 4 hours when I did the batch. I ran it first for 2 hours and then I did another cycle for 2 more all at 160f.

I do apologize. You absolutely did mention running a second cycle.

I am very disappointed in the results so far. I can take 5 caps at once and feel ok but not particularly high. All that coconut leaves you burping canna/coconut for a few hours afterwards, not terrible but not great. I have also tried eating part of sludge both on its own and with the oil. There is some potency in the sludge but not a ton.

My very first batch required a minimum of five capsules per dosing. That was with 28g per 236ml. I then increased the next batch to 35g and, then finally settled on 42g.

To be honest if I had to do it over again I am not sure I would have bought the MBM because at 2 cups minimum liquid and 60 to 100 g per 2 cups (I used 30g of 21% lab certified weed and it is not nearly enough) you just need to either grow your own or own a bank to afford getting things right.

If I put 168g into 4 cups of oil, and I take 3 capsules, per day, I'll have a 10 month supply. This works out to be about $5.50 per day. That's with using the most premium ingredients on the market. My coconut oil is $26 per 236ml, that's relatively expensive, compared to most box retailer brands. I pay additional for separated capsules, and my material cost is quite high. If I cut some corners I could probably get it down to $5 per day.

I save from January to November, and then make my oil in December. If you spread the payments out (small batches), you tend to pay more. Whereas, paying all at once (bulk), you tend to pay less.

Think of it as investing long-term in your health. To do that at a cost of $5.50, or less, a day is a pretty good bargain.

Their recipes for the basic creations (oil/tincture) call for 7 to 14g per cup. I used the max and it is really weak. If they told people you need double to triple the bud to make anything effective I doubt many people would buy it.

Yea, I've never agreed with the recipes.

In Canada I can buy LP oil that if you shop carefully seems less expensive than making your own with such large amounts of herb. If I want to try another batch its like $500 just for bud and now I am not sure I trust it.

Live and learn I guess.

I've never found any capsules from a dispensary that were worth the cost, at 3-$5, per capsule. If you're able to then I would suggest continuing to purchase them from a dispensary. Any time a business or individual can work with bulk material the cost will almost always be lower. It's why I don't make small batches. Wholesale prices are the only way for it to be cost effective.

Last edited:
JRyan,

witka

beware of cheap caps at 'dispensaries' i was buying a bunch at $3 and they did nothing then found out they were hemp cbd

witka,
Top Bottom