Looking for recommendations for a new vape to replace a Utillian 721

closetgeekshow

Well it finally happened, my Utillian 721 kicked the bucket today. It's charged but clicking the button 4 times does nothing, I guess it's dead. It had a good run, lasted almost 2 years though for the last 12 months the battery has been not great.

EDIT: Just tried the 721 - battery light was green, it turned on for like a second and then shut off - i think it was its last dying breath - RIP U721.

I'd been meaning to replace it for a while, watching the battery die slowly, but I never did it and now I need to get a new one ASAP. Looking for recommendations or advice on a replacement device. The Utillian 722 seems like the obvious option but I don't really love the 721 so I'm looking to see what else is out there.

What I'm looking for:
  • for dry herb, i never deal with wax or shatter or anything like that
  • good battery life or a removable standardized battery (like a 18650)
  • a decent chamber capacity (721 has 0.3g so that's my minimum size i think)
  • portable (I have an S&B Plenty as well, thinking having two desktop vapes is a stupid idea)
  • good for 2 people
  • convection heating
  • Budget around $100 to $200 (also i could wait a bit and double the budget)
Nice to have:
  • easy delivery to Canada, I was looking at the Tinymight but got scared off by hearing stories of high import costs from the shipping company
  • cooling
  • fast heating
  • fast charging (could be mitigated with removable battery option)
  • i like big dense clouds but it's not a deal breaker
  • USB C or mini USB charging
  • good flavour
Things I want to avoid
  • I'm open to just about anything though I'm a bit sheepish on Zeus vapes (great cleaning products though!), A Smite I bought in 2020 broke 3 days in and then the replacement they sent me broke a month later and then the customer service team did not reply to me again. Still, I'd be willing to give them another chance if it's my best option.
  • Requiring an app, this is what keeps me away from the Crafty+ (plus the fact that it's expensive) - though I'm now hearing that maybe I'm wrong about needing to use the app?
My candidates thus far (haven't checked these all against my requirements though)
  • PAX 3
  • POTV One
  • Boundless TERA
  • Boundless CF/CFX/CFV
  • XMAX Starry Vaporizer v3
  • Arizer ArGo
  • Firefly 2+ Vaporizer
  • Arizer Solo 2
  • Flowermate v5 Mini Pro

Last edited:
closetgeekshow,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Arizer Solo 2 and Air are both solid choices, the argo is very underpowered to me.
Many people dig the Xmax v3pro ,so you can check the thread for more insight. The Xlux roffu also might be what you are looking for,also recommend checking the dedicated thread.
All mentioned above are probably suitable choices,but it is really worth it to spent a few bucks more and get a Tinymight with 10 year warranty :).

closetgeekshow

I hadn't heard about the Xlux roffu before, I'll go research that model.

I'm starting to think it's probably best to stick with my plenty to save up for a more expensive model, like one of the s&b portables

closetgeekshow,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
  • a decent chamber capacity (721 has 0.3g so that's my minimum size i think)

That's one number I'm struggling with a bit, esp. since you set it as a minimum. I know lotsa desktops that can hold this amount, but when it comes to portables... hm. Beside that I agree with @Abysmal Vapor, the Tinymight is a great vape that would tick most of your boxes.

The TM *could* hold .3g and even more, but that would require you to stir. In my experience the optimal loadsize would be something between 0.1 and .2g, so if you can live with that I highly recommend it. Not sure about the delivery situation for Canada, though. And: a TM2 is under heavy development and might be released (sometime) soon. Though the TM1 is a safe bet for sure.

Siebter,

closetgeekshow

That's one number I'm struggling with a bit, esp. since you set it as a minimum. I know lotsa desktops that can hold this amount, but when it comes to portables... hm. Beside that I agree with @Abysmal Vapor, the Tinymight is a great vape that would tick most of your boxes.

The TM *could* hold .3g and even more, but that would require you to stir. In my experience the optimal loadsize would be something between 0.1 and .2g, so if you can live with that I highly recommend it. Not sure about the delivery situation for Canada. And: a TM2 is under heavy development and might be released (sometime) soon. Though the TM1 is a safe bet for sure.
I'm starting to see that my .3g requirement might be a little high - I just noticed that even the Crafty+ isn't that big. I just want to avoid repacking as most sessions are with 2 people.

I hear a lot of good things about the TM, I just also read some stories online from Canadians who had to pay like an extra $75 for customs fees through the shipping company (DHL).

closetgeekshow,

HyDrOpOnIc1987

Do you have any kind of tolerance? How often do you vape? What temps do you like?

I bought an Arizer Air2 as my first vape BUT when I did my research on Reddit (didnt know about FC yet lol) no one told me about its being relatively useless if you have any kind of higher tolerance. I used to smoke multiple joints a day, so it really wasnt a good fit for me. That said, a friend on here saw a post i wrote asking why the Air2 wasnt working for me, explained the tolerance issue and offered to buy me a Dynavap M 2021. Got me an AzuriuM at that lol never looked back. Bringing it out with a torch is a pain, but if u get an induction heater thats battery operated, you can bring it anywhere and not worry about your image or the wind.

The Dyna worked for me. Still use it as my only vape as I don't have much money and can't afford VAS lol

If butane isnt an issue, i suggest grabbing a cheap M and a torch. The M will last forever, the cap may need replacing down the line (heard years, but idk as im only a few months into my DV setup) but theyre between $25-40 each depending on your country. Im Canadian so to get one from The Herb Cafe would cost $35 plus shipping.

All that said, the Xmax V3 Pro is an amazing budget vape. Even with my tolerance, it gets me high. The same buddy that bought me the Dynavap lent me his V3 Pro and i'm very impressed by it. I would wanna put it through water, but i have Athsma lol

Hope you find what you're looking for! I def suggest taking time to do lots of research. But it looks like youre already doing it, so you should be good lol :)

Cheers!

HyDrOpOnIc1987,
Reactions: Siebter

closetgeekshow

@HyDrOpOnIc1987:
Do you have any kind of tolerance? How often do you vape? What temps do you like?
High tolerance. Vape multiple times per day. Tempwise (basing this on the U721 presets I use) - I tend to go 180C (Blue light) for Sativas and 190C for Indicas (Purple light).

when I did my research on Reddit (didnt know about FC yet lol)
yeah I initially posted this question on /r/vaporents but it got 60% downvoted which I just cannot fathom why. Though I did learn about this forum from a comment in my post there so it was not a total loss.

If butane isnt an issue,
I'm probably not going to pick any of the ones that require using actual fire, it just seems so inconvenient and a step backwards for me - even if it'll hit hard.

I was a bit panicked when I wrote this post, thinking I needed get something in the next week or so. But since then I've considered that I could use my Plenty for now and maybe get a couple 510 carts for convenience and save up $ to get a more expensive model than these (mostly) budget models. I've wanted a Mighty or Crafty for a long time, so this might be the opportunity to get it.

closetgeekshow,

HyDrOpOnIc1987

@HyDrOpOnIc1987:

High tolerance. Vape multiple times per day. Tempwise (basing this on the U721 presets I use) - I tend to go 180C (Blue light) for Sativas and 190C for Indicas (Purple light).

yeah I initially posted this question on /r/vaporents but it got 60% downvoted which I just cannot fathom why. Though I did learn about this forum from a comment in my post there so it was not a total loss.

I'm probably not going to pick any of the ones that require using actual fire, it just seems so inconvenient and a step backwards for me - even if it'll hit hard.

I was a bit panicked when I wrote this post, thinking I needed get something in the next week or so. But since then I've considered that I could use my Plenty for now and maybe get a couple 510 carts for convenience and save up $ to get a more expensive model than these (mostly) budget models. I've wanted a Mighty or Crafty for a long time, so this might be the opportunity to get it.
Just be careful with carts as they will raise your tollerance very fast.

Honestly, i think you should save up a bit more andull the trigger on a Tiny Might. My buddy has one and uses it more than most of his other vapes. He has a bunch too lol the plenty should keep you going for a bit.

I dont know much about the Plenty. Does it use concentrate pads like the mighty or crafty? If it can use concentrates, grab some shatter or another type of concentrate and use it along with herb. I use both in the same bowl lol a little flower, then a smaller than rice grain sized ball of concentrate and more herb on top. Hits hard and you can control how much concentrate you use easier than a cart. I would do that to help keep the hits semi powerful while you save for the next vape :) but really, as long as youre happy then you should be good no matter what you do :)

HyDrOpOnIc1987,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

You probably got downvoted because there is a whole lot of hate for the crappy utilian products (and the company that I think sells them, Tvapes, Toronto Vapes? Misleads in all of their reviews just to sell their own shit vapes, please don't buy from this company again if you have lol and ignore their reviews)

Pretty much every vape you listed is not pure convection, most are mostly conduction if not entirely, but some have a bit of hybrid... If you're looking to get high with two people the mighty make sense, but I think it's overpriced with so many drawbacks personally.

I'd strongly suggest you grab the xmax v3pro for pure convection on demand and session style, solid stock cooling and easy to connect to other glass pieces like a J hook or a water piece, it even takes capsules and has replaceable batteries so you can keep going indefinitely... On top of that it is so reasonably priced, perfect for use with two people, meets pretty much all of your needs, so I don't think there's any reason to wait?

Xlux Roffu is also nice, though perhaps not as ideal for use with two people?

Don't forget to get on Dan Morrison's Toad /Nomad list too ;) but TM is my all around favorite vape

Last edited:

Vaporware

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone recommend Utillian unless they were getting paid to…Zeus, maybe a few but they’re not a go-to brand around here either.

S&B is popular in general, but I see a lot of people happy to switch from a Mighty/Crafty/etc. to a TinyMight or other solid on demand portable. I haven’t seen a lot of people going in the other direction…

If you really love S&B that’s fine, but I think their popularity comes from their history, their availability in a lot of stores and a lot of people who have them recommending them without having tried a lot of other options.

Still, they do apparently deliver for the people who are into hybrid session style devices so I’m not going to say they suck…they’re just to me more of a step backward than a butane powered device. A lot of plastic, built-in (officially) non-replaceable batteries, etc.

I think this thread is steering you in good directions already so I don’t need to give you the same recommendations, and I was going to say the same thing @Shit Snacks said about the reason you were being downvoted too.

At least you got the good advice to come here though! :lol:

Top Bottom