Looking for a 12 volt plug-in heavy hitting vape for camper/RV

TheSandyLorax

Hello, I am looking for a 12-volt vaporizer to use off a solar/battery system in my camper. I am looking for a 'heavy hitter' so I assume it will need to plug it in.

I currently have a flowerpot b1 that I love to use with a water piece. Cannabis Hardware sells a 12v coil but it draws 8-9amps which is a lot. I am hoping to find another heavy-hitting option that is more power-efficient to use off-grid while camping. I currently have 100ah of useable battery and 200w of solar.

I also have an underdog from 10-12 years ago (not sure what core) it has but I never got good performance 'milking up the bong".

Thanks!

vaporculture

If I was in your place, I would look into getting a new Underdog.

I've got the SC3+ which is a big step up from the old SC1 cores in my opinion -- draw through is very unrestricted and it can whitewall a piece no problem. The UD Alpha is another good choice, particularly if you're regularly using an 18mm water piece. Wider bowl, more airflow, so bigger hits are possible.

If you get in touch with Dave and Amanda, they'll set you up with something that works for you and doesn't draw tons of power doing so.

vaporculture,

badbee

That's a dilemma, a low wattage log type device will be easiest to wire because of the reasonable current. A higher wattage instant heat device like a Splinter Z wired to a buck converter is probably more energy efficient overall (high current draw but that only lasts for a few tens of seconds) but will need large gauge wire to carry the big current. A flowerpot type device is probably the worst of both worlds as it needs (some) preheating but can also have a big current draw.

Probably a log or equivalent (Highlighter, Halo, G43, etc) is your best bet.

TheSandyLorax

That's a dilemma, a low wattage log type device will be easiest to wire because of the reasonable current. A higher wattage instant heat device like a Splinter Z wired to a buck converter is probably more energy efficient overall (high current draw but that only lasts for a few tens of seconds) but will need large gauge wire to carry the big current. A flowerpot type device is probably the worst of both worlds as it needs (some) preheating but can also have a big current draw.

Probably a log or equivalent (Highlighter, Halo, G43, etc) is your best bet.
Do you know the power consumption of the Highlighter, Halo, G43?

TheSandyLorax,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I have been checking the Couchlog also due to the 12w power draw as running my 2x Woodscents draws about 1.5amp at 11.5v(about 17w?)...not saving when using 2 as I do but it all adds up when off-grid and the Couchlog looks like it does the job of 2xWS. The new model WS have a more powerful heater say you may only need one.
The WS also comes with a quartz cup that you can use to sit on the WS to diffuse citronella to help keep mozzies away!

LesPlenty,

ScyOne

You should be able to run virtually any vape you want off 12v.

You would just have to convert the voltage if necessary. It would cost like $20 for a converter.

I know I would be able to run any vape off 12v.

I am not looking too much into it but something like this https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Voltage-Regulator-Booster-Adjustable/dp/B07X95JBD5/ref=sr_1_35?crid=3EXWGY53GZBXO&keywords=voltage+booster&qid=1643012675&sprefix=voltage+booste,aps,93&sr=8-35

And it will run any vape from 12-60v 8a....... Which pretty much covers all vapes 12v+ or a buck converter for vapes under 12v Even.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
You should be able to run virtually any vape you want off 12v.
True, but I think the author was looking for something frugal as they said the 12v coil had quite a high consumption...like an inverter, plus I would only use a pure sine wave inverter as the modified sine wave (cheaper) can cause problems with sensitive equipment.
I also tried some cheap buck converters and they consume power themselves, 1 I tried uses as much power as the WoodScent I had plugged into it...they are not all equal.

LesPlenty,

ScyOne

True, but I think the author was looking for something frugal as they said the 12v coil had quite a high consumption...like an inverter, plus I would only use a pure sine wave inverter as the modified sine wave (cheaper) can cause problems with sensitive equipment.
I also tried some cheap buck converters and they consume power themselves, 1 I tried uses as much power as the WoodScent I had plugged into it...they are not all equal.
I am 100% sure any vape will run off DC. You will never need sine wave. Just convert the DC voltage to what you need.

A $20 converter will power any vape device.

A 12V coil at 8a would equal almost 100w and would surely not run that high all the time. Its just the max it will do. For example I metered my Arizer Extreme Q at around 20w nominal. It might booost with 100W to reach temp, but after that it's 20w nominal.

Like if set on 12V OK, but you can run limitless and vape devices don't actually use much power. Like I said my Arizer Extreme Q is 20w nominal, which is peanuts and any vape like it would be peanuts as well to run. You would need a solar panel that outputs 20W to run the Arizer Eztreme Q all day.

Most vapes boost to temp with a higher wattage and settle down once temp is reach. I don't really see any vape using more than around 25w nominal and even 25w is a crazy amount which would indicate a shitty vape that waste a lot of heat.

A converter waste at most 10% power draw too, not 100% power draw.

Last edited:
ScyOne,

badbee

Do you know the power consumption of the Highlighter, Halo, G43?
The HighLighter and G43 both run under 15 W (I know the voltage settings but don't remember the exact wattage), other low wattage 10 min preheat vapes will be similar.

badbee,

ScyOne

Sorry, I was mistaken, was looking into it a bit and some vapes do in fact run off AC, sorry for the hyperbole.

I was thinking if you wanted to save energy a slow heatup vape is probably not a good option. You want something that heats up quick and be more like an on demand vape.

For example a log vape draws only 12w, but the heatup time is 15mins. So you waste 3Wh just heating it up. And for saving energy you probably won't want to leave it on all the time. So 3Wh wasted for every session just heating it up to temp and will probably waste around 5Wh the whole session.

The TinyMight I will use just as an example. It has an 11Wh battery, I don't have one personally, but I see 4-6 bowls per charge are what some people are reporting. So at lets say 5 bowls and every bowl equals a session. That is only 2.2Wh a session. It actually uses less energy per session than the total heatup time on a log vape will use.

Of course this a portable and not a plug in, but I just used it as an example.

Sorry, Not really a recommendation, but something to think about.

Last edited:
ScyOne,

ScyOne

I kinda would suggest looking into some of the new portables as portables are actually designed for efficiency.

A lot of them now actually hits really nice as battery tech is a lot better now. A single battery would be able to output over 150w now.

I could probably power most desktop vapes I wanted off that single battery.

ScyOne,

GoldenBud

HI is the heaviest vape I have (after heat soaking of like 5 minutes, 12.2v to 12.6v) overall less than 12w I think
here it's about 0.05gr of herb + 0.07~gr of iceolator

GoldenBud,

ScyOne

For solar setups, you would want a converter anyways.

Running off battery power is not constant, could drop to 10v or be as high as 13v or something.

As long as it's DC powered you would be able to run any household items.

ScyOne,
Top Bottom