Leaving reclaim in isopropyl- will this hurt it?

nimrod337

I cannot seem to find a clear answer to this question, so I'll leave it here. (feel free to move it, if it doesn't belong here.)

I would like to reclaim the oils from my glass pieces, and I was going to use the Iso rinse method, but I don't want to dry the iso off immediately after. I want to keep the iso in a sealed container, using it to clean my stems and such until it becomes dark enough to evaporate the alcohol off, and leave me some tasty oils. So my question is, does the THC degrade when it is in solution with Isopropyl alcohol? Or would it be fine to keep a small, sealed container of iso in a dark place, to repeatedly rinse my stems every week or so?
I'll probably go with two containers, dip A and dip B. I'll let the stems soak in dip A until they are almost perfectly clean, then move them to dip B, for a final cleanse. Then remove, and was excess iso off with warm water, then back into rotation in the A.Air. Once dip A is nice and dark with reclaim, I'll evap the iso, scrape the reclaim, and fill the container up, and move dip B into the "dip A position", and the old dip A will be filled with fresh iso, and become dip B.

The whole point is to keep my stems looking nice and clean, but to not wash my reclaim honey out every week. Opinions? experience?

Thanks,

Kiskis

It's fine. I do something similar, but I only have "Dip A." I leave it not necessarily in a dark place, but once the ISO gets really dark, I empty it out and evaporate it. I've gone as long as 2 months and the oil is still very potent.

50yrssmoking

I have been using the ISO method for years. First I pour out all the water from the pipe. When I am in an anal mood I use my wifes hair dryer to dry the pipe. Then I use a small blowtorch to heat the areas of the pipe that have the residue. Then I pour in about 1-2 ozs of Dip A etc. I find the heat makes the pipe come clean with the ISO in just a few shakes. I then pour the ISO back into Dip A. I have a Dip B which I use to wash the pipe (no heat this time) again. Then hot water until it smells clean as new.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I've had grinder reclaim that has sat in a mini mason jar for a year solid and it got me ripped as ever.

There's no issues as far as reclaim lasting a long time in solution.

Winegums,

50yrssmoking

Additionally, I use a large watch glass for evaporation (again the wife's hairdryer is handy to set up on the counter blowing heat over the surface of the reclaim). I often leave the top off of Dip A to enhance evaporations (concentration).

50yrssmoking,

Bad Ocelot

Heat and light are bad for cannabinoids in solution. However a cabinet or the freezer should be plenty cool & dark. I typically keep a small mason jar with iso in a cabinet, put attys, stems etc in that, usually overnight, then take them out to dry. When that starts to get dark, i pour it into a larger mason jar in the freezer. When the freezer jar gets close to being full I cold filter then evap on a pyrex dish. Then I either use it or clean it up further with ethanol.

IFMU

This is awesome, thank you for the description in the first post, tells me what i can do with what ive cleaned up...
Thanks!

IFMU,

Vizyt91

Hi ,
Same here, i clean my stems and cooling unit in a jar half full of iso ,then pour the iso (when it’s really dark, so I let I sit in iso a couple of months) in a large pyrex plate and let it évaporate . After that I scrap the oil and mix it with some cbd crumble or terpenes to enhance the taste 😁 and keep it in my fridge in a purple glass container. No waste

Last edited:
Vizyt91,

nms

ISO is extremely toxic, so if you fail to properly dry it it will be harmful. Generally the most accessible way to get a safe dry is with a vaccuum desiccator. It's common for bubbles of ISO to be trapped in the concentrate(depending on the viscosity) and inhaling these may be harmful due to the reagent toxicity.

Either way if you want to use ISO, use ACS grade ISO. Do not use random ISO because it may contain harmful impurities. Lab/Education grade or the one used for cleaning is definitely not good for reclaim purposes.

Use acs grade ethanol abs for reclaims if you care about safety. Or use stuff like everclear which is food grade ethanol with water. You may not get it to dry easily, but what will remain will be consumable water(no harmful impurities). And if ethanol remains, it's not nearly as harmful(even used in some treatments to respiratory problems).

Do never use rubbing alcohol(the ethanol one, they're both labeled as such in different locations) bought in a pharmacy as on top of not being ACS grade(safe for medicine/food use) these generally are denatured(depending on where you are from) with things like cetrimide. Cetrimide will stay in the extract and evaporate at concentrate vaping temps and you will consume it. It won't be pleasant.

Most people do not care about any of this and use it the same but then complain about aluminum grinders, others are more consistent and don't care at all. Up to you.

EDITED

Last edited:

sickmanfraud

ISO is extremely toxic, so if you fail to properly dry it it will be harmful. Generally the most accessible way to get a safe dry is with a vaccuum desiccator. It's common for bubbles of ISO to be trapped in the concentrate(depending on the viscosity) and inhaling these may be harmful due to the reagent toxicity.

Either way if you want to use ISO, use ACS grade ISO. Do not use random ISO because it may contain harmful impurities. Lab/Education grade or the one used for cleaning is definitely not good for reclaim purposes.

Use acs grade ethanol abs for reclaims if you care about safety. Or use stuff like everclear which is food grade ethanol with water. You may not get it to dry easily, but what will remain will be consumable water(no harmful impurities). And if ethanol remains, it's not nearly as harmful(even used in some treatments to respiratory problems).

Do never use rubbing alcohol(the ethanol one, they're both labeled as such in different locations) bought in a pharmacy as on top of not being ACS grade(safe for medicine/food use) these generally are denatured(depending on where you are from) with things like cetrimide. Cetrimide will stay in the extract and evaporate at concentrate vaping temps and you will consume it. It won't be pleasant.

Most people do not care about any of this and use it the same but then complain about aluminum grinders, others are more consistent and don't care at all. Up to you.

EDITED

I believe that many of your statements are incorrect.

ISO is not recommended as a drink, but it is not "extremely" toxic. A person needs to consume 200ml at once for a dangerous "dose".

you also recommend not using ethanol. That must be a mistake since ethanol is what drinking alcohol is.

I am not suggesting that anyone use ISO. Ethanol is much more expensive, but it is safe to consume. However, there are times when all the alcohol (ISO or ethanol) is totally boiled off and only RSO remains. There are many that would that RSO with no complaints.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Vizyt91

nms

According to this(or you can pick an oral LD50 for rats or rabbits if you prefer):
A potentially lethal dose is 2 to 4 mL/kg, but case reports have noted survival in adults with higher reported levels.
This would mean for a person the average weight in europe(70kg) it'd take 140mL to 280mL or more to DIE. In america people weight a bit more so account for that if you want.

But what is wrong here? We are discussing lethality, not harmfulness.

Also notice that acetone is also heavily toxic(at least similar LD50). So it's not like eventually it gets broken down into something less harmful.
Approximately 80% of the absorbed isopropanol is metabolized by the liver through first-order kinetics and is broken down into acetone by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase.

If you're worried about dying from it right away, you won't. Does that mean it's not harmful? Explain how. Go ahead.

Now, you misread everything else.

I recommend using ACS grade ethanol abs. Or I recommend using everclear. Both of these are ethanol recommendations? So where do I recommend not using ethanol? I am not.

Now let me have another try at what I meant.

If you look at whatever reagent you're using, in the bottle you'll see the concentration in a water solution(generally). This means that 70% ethanol will be roughly 30% water and 70% ethanol. All good here. Is this true? No. There are small amounts of impurities depending on the reagent quality frequently on the 0.1% order(industrial usage reagents go to the 1% order, cleaning stuff is generally industrial grade).

When I say ethanol abs(absolute) I mean pure ethanol(99.9%).

But I didn't just say pure ethanol, did I? No I said ACS grade pure ethanol. Or plain everclear. Why?

You see, there are different procedures on how to make reagents and they yield different results. The ethanol part(99.9%) remains the same, but the remaining impurities can change greatly. Depending on the intended goal of the substance this will vary. For example, for medicine and food usage, only ACS grade reagents are used. ACS label guarantees they are pure enough to use for that purpose and contain no harmful impurities. When in doubt use everclear as the whole process it uses is meant for a consumable end product. You will have a less pure extract, but unless the impurities are particularly harmful when heated you should be ok. It's your bet again.

If say you use a lab/educational or industrial grade reagent, it may contain harmful impurities(most likely will as the endgoal means who makes the reagent will attempt to save money in a less expensive process given the non restrictive needs). This works for both ISO and Ethanol. ACS grade is generally more expensive because additional work was put into making it a clean process. Does this mean you will die if you use a random one? Probably not, who knows, your bet not mine, but what I said is perfectly correct.

Regarding pharmacy bought ethanol, what is wrong with it? First since it's not used for consumption it's most definitely not ACS grade. Then it's frequently denatured, a process done purposely to make it NOT CONSUMABLE.

So where was I incorrect?

Last edited:
Top Bottom