• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

LAVA "Bi-Energy" engine implementing fig. 11/12 item of VG's patent

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everybody,

Today may seem like an ordinary date on the calendar to most anyone else - but me - because that's marking the end of a 5-yr mission... « To boldly go... », there:

...please allow me to introduce my brand-new (slightly modded) Classic Maple VG Vaporizer:

3a0qv.jpg

But that was then and this is now:

Egzoset_s_Cust._Bronze_Sherlock_VG_Pipe_-_Labelled_2018-_Mar-11.png

... ..."Micro-Bursting", etc.:

Google Images: Egzoset LAVA TinyPic

It seems i've lost the fresh perspective which would have allowed me to express the novelty but at least i can invite adventurous readers to a simple challenge; i always tried to keep replicability in mind, after all.

;)

VaporGenie has made the most promising move with their present line of products but that's not the end, i even believe they've got a potential killer in their hands that's also sturdy, reliable and ex-smoker friendly on top of being quite affordable - especially for a DIY.

Please consider replication followed by peer reviews, with IH mode in mind, eventually.

By using VG's pipe as a "Prototyping Platform" i've managed to open a window which provides a view i can only wish to share. Yet i'd like it even better if i could read about it in words other than my own.

The "17-Holes Metal Disc" could happen to pose a problem but i've evaluated its weight must range around 0.75 g if SS304. Possibly DynaVap's "CCD Screen" may work sufficiently well as a substitute.

Go wonder. Fingers crossed!...

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations,

When words keep failing try falling back to simpler schematics, pictures and/or even animated video. For example:

[ www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXNWOub5_Uc&t=7940 ]
YouTube: Pac-Man World 2 [22] 100% GameCube Longplay (2016-Dec-21) @ 2:12:20​

This legacy sample of Ms. Pac-Man is about its accelerator button being pressed in order to build up some rotational cinetic momentum, before symbolic "wheels" (so to speak) mate solidly with the ground and transfer such kinetic potential in a way to actually move at greater speed than usually possible.

A temporary "Thermal Bottle" does a similar trick by allowing some time-compressed experience where there hardy was any that satisfied before. Just expect some longer pre-heating delay, i figure.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi Egzo, can I assume you are calling you're mod hybrid cause it transfers heat both by conduction and convection?
Does this mean less or no stirring?

My VG didn't see a lot of use lately, but I'm happy to say I recommanded it a few years ago to some friends and they still use it! Although I'll consider to test your mod in order to see the difference, I'll keep you updated!

PPN,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations PPN,

Thank you passing by!! :cool:

Hi Egzo, can I assume you are calling you're mod hybrid cause it transfers heat both by conduction and convection?

Actually conduction comes last as a delayed/degraded mix of captured and re-converted energy... Primary convection heat gets carried into the Flame-Catcher via hot H2O & CO2 exhaust gases while projecting intense radiative heat that also degrades in ways i can hardly explain myself. The trick solving this puzzle was to proceed with successive iterations until i could decide what to try next, e.g. by trial & error until a "Sweet-Spot" configuration was found. It's all based on subjective criterias at each new step, compounding acquired skills in the process. Months were necessary to simply perceive some vague impressions in the begining, which is why i kept tweaking for years, literally. Besides such aspects i should equally mention that i exploited my own limitations as a "radar", trying to figure out when i had reached one boundary of an applications range that seemed to "move" with time. In other words there were human variables in the equation as well!

So, the reason why i called it a "Hybrid Core" simply revolves around VG's contrasting monolithic design: based on 1 single SiC Puck. That's 1 component with only 1 set of properties. My core has many.

At 1st i thought of the "composite" label but feared confusion so that's how the word was prefered instead. A set of materials with very different properties are juxtaposed and this causes interesting hybrid properties to emerge that weren't possible before. Creating a "solid-state" heat valve operated by airflow: shield (and temporary storage) when idle, radiator when dynamic.

Does this mean less or no stirring?

That's a relevant question, i just wish i could compare with the genuine VG pipe. Yet i'd have to reply there are 2 modes: "Plan-A" with Induction Heat as the main power source, then "Plan-B" where butane is a fall-back option with stirring made necessary. N.B.: "Plan-A" offers provisions for ultra-sonic stirring, at least in theory.

My VG didn't see a lot of use lately, but I'm happy to say I reccommanded it a few years ago to some friends and they still use it! Although I'll consider to test your mod in order to see the difference, I'll keep you updated!

Truth is i failed to operate my 1st genuine VG pipe in 2012 and never succeeded with a few more tries ever since. By chance it made a lot of sense to pick VaporGenie for their selection of materials which proved most appropriate all along. It's a mystery to me how the company appeared to stop development before they evaluated a hybrid core of their own.

Anyway i realize there's been so much modifications it won't hurt posting instructions. Hence here come my "10 commandments" (...):

0) About Bowl loading, Always Fill and Never Pack. Keep in mind the Support Loop located right under a pipe's Cannabic Bowl needs to be "flipped" after removal as this greatly eases reinsertion, simply by screwing it in clockwise. Bowl size/weight is ajusted using that Support Loop.

1) With butane and/or it's related compounds present in the lungs path just make sure there's ALWAYS a clean burning flame to convert butane from such stream into relatively safe superheated Water Vapor and Carbonic Gas, while taking care to inhale with much less force (by lifting the thumb over a pipe's PinHole) to pre-heat the Hybrid Core of a customized Sphere.

2) NEVER let a flame touch anything as this will result in the addition of soot plus other nuisances. All that is required to be captured by the Flame-Catcher to inject a "Heat Charge" (or "Energy Bubble") has to do with the Energy-Carrying Exhaust + some Radiative Heat.

3) NEVER light up or extinguist a butane lighter close to the Flame Catcher. Flint-Wheel Yellow-Flame models generate health-hasard particles in the spark while the Blue Flame ones may fail to consume butane cleanly (extinguish at random and/or spitting out liquid butane droplets not converted by fire)... Briefly put, ALWAYS wait for a flame to stabilize before it's taken close to the Flame-Catcher Aperture.

4) When a primary PinHole is available lift thumb during Pre-Heating. Once the Sphere is sufficiently energized, e.g. between 2~5 seconds depending on a butane lighter, use its stored heat which has just been temporarily injected into the Hybrid Core WITHOUT any butane and/or related stream present near the Flame-Catcher Aperture. This indirect/residual energy-source alone suffices to proceed with the actual Vaporization process.

5) While vaporizing try obstructing the PinHole in brief pulses, in very short bursts at first then increasingly longer to compensate for lost heat from the Hybrid Core as its energy reserve gets depleted. The periods with no PinHole-obstructive thumb in action contribute to oxygenation of the cannabic stream while promoting early detection of vaporization signs, especially hints as aroma/taste. Think of some method vaguely similar to "pumping" a car's breaks in an emergy maneuver situation, the goal being to probe using a sequence of short pulses instead of attempting to get it done in 1 single long pulse. The start/stop transitions appear to cause turbulence which helps with stream movement.

6) A ~125 mg Bowl provides about 5~6 tokes, the left-over can be made useful at a later time to produce relaxing cookies. Don't forget that once in a while even an empty cannabic Bowl can provide some satisfying toke (or two) from a sticky screen alone. Evidently stronger cookies should result from leaving more THC behind from vaping. These days i just vape it dry: used vegetal substrate falls off easily...

7) It's time for cleanup maintenance when the pipe stops working as usual. Pick a pipe stick wetted with 94 % pure grain alcohol to clean wood VG Handles fast. NEVER allow the wood to absorb water as this would promote cracks in the wood. Metal models are to be prefered when condensed noble molecules need to be "reclaimed", though these feel heavier in the hand while wood's near organic-like aspects would prove more "sexy". Alternately, wood is an absorbing material so this makes it less desirable if/when resin reclaims are desired. The back face of metal pipes proves handy for quick torch-cleaning of a screen with no risk of a skin burn. Choose the "Classic" look Aluminium for superior aroma/taste performance.

8) Initially i found the genuine layout with VG's DuckLips MouthPiece was getting uncomfortably hot, the addition of a half-ball stainless steel object down under my cannabic Bowl paved the way to lower-temperature cannabic vapor being sent towards the lungs; as an option it may also help to capture particles in the cannabic vapor using a tiny cotton ball which somewhat adds to the cooling action after getting moist. This half-sphere screen was gradually dropped in more recent versions though, in favour of an auxiliary PinHole located on the MP base...

9) When attempting to reconfigure DuckLips MouthPieces to reflect the side-wise preference of an operator (e.g. right vs left rotation) try to never forget about twisting it lightly while pulling on it with care as its stem proved very brittle. Somehow an helix motion seems more gentle.

10) The need for eye-contact on a flame tip may require some Flexible Plastic PVC Tubing Extension. A length of 12.5 cm will do and that's a better place where to install the optional cotton ball (strongly recommended), unless a plastic/metal Mating junction is available of course. Last but not least, clear plastic makes it easy to monitor butane consumption based on water vapor condensation creating droplets in the tube after a potential abuse situation, or operating error, etc. The Tubing Extension will opacify if/when abuse continues, ultimately. End the session and re-evaluate operator skills if this occurs, don't forget to shake off liquid water droplets after removing that tube. Consider this a true "Harm Reduction" self-awareness feature.

Last edited:
Egzoset,
Reactions: szai

Egzoset

Banned
NOTICE:

Pictures from PostImages are "broken" today, for example:
A temporary remedy is to replace its "org" domain with "cc":
Another possibility is to switch back to TinyPic, though its lack of reliability was what caused me go with PostImages in the 1st place...

Now trying it anyway:
M'well, lets hope such inconvenience won't last...

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Update

This is the fix for a previous broken picture link:
That pretty much illustrates the essential changes while this revised diagram below expresses its revised associated "ritual":
Very little succion force is applied initially as i only intend to pre-heat my Hybrid Core, or at least faster than i pre-heat my vegetal load anyway. Once a satisfactory red-hot spot is obtained in that core's silicon-carbide (SiC) Front Puck i know visually that sufficient heat got stored. The flame can be removed then the final process begins, at 1st actually heating the bowl before it starts producing a cloud for inhalation. The pumping action promotes movement of the noble molecules collected in the path. It's also a way to prevent early hot-spotting.

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
TOOLS

On-line calculators:

Materials Weight Calculator
[ www.hibid.co.uk/metcalc/metcalc.html ]

Specific HeatCapacity Equation -- EndMemo Calculator
[ www.endmemo.com/physics/specificheat.php ]​

Heat formula:

Specific Heat:

Hydrogen = 14.000 ~ 14.267
Helium = 5.193 ~ 5.300
Liquid Water = 4.181 ~ 4.186
See water = 3.900
Lithium = 3.560 ~ 3.561
Human Flesh = 3.5 @ 37 °C
Bee Wax = 3.4
Wax = 2.89
Methanol = 2.549
Ethanol = 2.400 ~ 2.460
Glycerin = 2.410
Ethylene Glycol = 2.200
Ammonia = 2.190
Paraffin = 2.100
Solid Water (ice) = 2.027 ~ 2.11
Steam @ 100 °C = 2.009 ~ 2.020
Water Vapor = 2.00
Vegetable Oil = 2.00
Berylium = 1.820 ~ 1.83
Benzene = 1.740
Wood = 1.674 ~ 1.8
Olive Oil = 1.79
Rubber = 1.700
Cotton = 1.40
Boron = 1.3
Sodium = 1.230
Air @ 50 °C = 1.046
Air = 1.020
Nitrogen = 1.040
Magnesium = 1.02
Dry Air = 1.01 ~ 1.015
Oxygen = 0.913
Aluminium = 0.87 ~ 0.903
Salt = 0.864
Ashes = 0.84
Asbestos = 0.800 ~ 0.84
Glass = 0.670 ~ 0.84
Carbon Dioxyde = 0.833
Sand = 0.800 ~ 0.835
Granite = 0.79 ~ 0.84
Potassium = 0.750
Sulphur = 0.730
Silicon = 0.703
Graphite = 0.685 ~ 0.708
Calcium = 0.650 ~ 0.656
Oil = 0.540
Tin = 0.540
Diamond = 0.508 ~ 0.509
Slicon Carbide = 0.503
Carbon = 0.500
Incoloy = 0.50
Carbon Steel = 0.490
Stainless Steel 304 (AISI) = 0.477
Stainless Steel 316 (AISI) = 0.468
Iconel = 0.46
Iron, Steel = 0.444 ~ 0.452
Cast Iron = 0.46
Chromium = 0.450 ~ 0.46
Chromium Steel = 0.443
Nickel = 0.440 ~ 0.54
Polyethylene = 0.44 ~ 0.55
Bronze = 0.435
Cobalt = 0.42
Zinc = 0.380 ~ 0.390
Manganese Bronze = 0.38
Copper = 0.377 ~ 0.390
Brass = 0.377 ~ 0.380
Germanium = 0.322
Sand = 0.290
Barium = 0.29
Niobium (Columbium) = 0.27
Silver = 0.234 ~ 0.236
Cadmium = 0.230 ~ 0.25
Iodine = 0.214
Tin = 0.210 ~ 0.222
Antimony = 0.21
Tin/Lead Solder (50/50) = 0.167
Mercury = 0.138 ~ 0.140
Tungsten = 0.135
Platinum = 0.130
Bismuth = 0.13
Gold = 0.129 ~ 0.130
Lead = 0.128 ~ 0.129
Steel = 0.120
Uranium = 0.117

These values which were gathered from multiple sources are expressed in Joules ÷ Kg °C and may require corrections.
Good day, have fun!!

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
The Problem:

wlohz8.jpg

Tiny trichome glands conveniently collect nature's gift on a molecular basis, right at the site of genesis... Hence i find impossible to imagine any man-made "filtered" alternatives of comparable quality being delivered at such little cost!

Only, there's a catch: we'd want to extract the goodies and the goodies only.

:hmm:

By chance dame nature gathers those noble droplets as a delicate layer supported by vegetal substate of contrasting mass. Even after it's been shreaded in a grinder (upper-right corner) the trichomes remain relatively tiny in comparison...

1z6xkp.gif
m9amg9.gif

2lo1yqu.gif
e63acm.gif

The solution:

292pmps.jpg

28c0k82.jpg

e5oih5.jpg
LAVA!

More cuts to perform:

un18w.jpg

The Hybrid Core:

2gtb3h1.jpg

fxb40.jpg

Be advised this is where the "PinHole" of my "Prototyping Platform" still needs to be relocated today (...), in order to further reduce delays, to promote enhanced "conservation" by bringing "baking" to an absolute minimum via fast heat removal that's as quick as a heat burst can be.

"Plan-A" (IH mode):

2zs8wwl.jpg

2yubtqr.jpg

In Induction Heat mode it's just too easy to multiply "susceptor" (IH) elements if/when convenient. For example, in Near-Symetrical "capsule" scenarios it's no problem power-driving 2 Hybrid Cores instead of only one, which doubles available "Heat charges" and consequently bowl size/weight. As a bonus it also becomes tempting to implement analog heat control by adjusting airflow as a function of a core's Curie point, which in turn determines stored energy by virtue of mass, specific heat capacity and temperature... All it takes is a way to control the mix between 2 fixed references, no complex IH Driver required: simply inject "Heat Charge" until Curie "saturation" point.

:cool:

Now lets divide vaporizers as 2 groups, the "Mainly-ON" which correspond to classical thermo-static designs i call "Hot Dry Air Ovenizers", then the "Mainly-OFF" type as presented in my dedicated thread. One device gets heated over long periods (with plenty of energy wasted in parasitic leaks...), the other only heats up for very brief moments on the contrary.

M'well, this may be a most interesting difference when it comes to heat vs mass: propagation of heat in matter isn't instantaneous, there's a delay. In other words tiny structures thermalize 1st.

:nod:

At least that's what my experiments with "Micro-Bursting" appear to validate: paradoxically, improved aroma/taste appreciation results from more risky (shorter/potent) heat bursts. The trick is to exploit "Packetization" in a way to match the temporary "Heat Charge" and its cannabic "Workload", which is to target that delicate sugar layer previously illustrated while attempting to leave its associated substrate relatively unaffected - or at least to delay "baking" which causes all sorts of compounds present in vegetal tissue to infuse, reach the contact-surface then melt, ultimately...

Though tricky ain't synonymous to impossible. Hence my proposal is to develop a consumption method where the heat front is strong enough to challenge noble contact-surfaces while it's still too weak to significantly interact with less noble plant material (or delay such interaction sufficiently to be done with extraction by the time a whole bowl starts to look 'n feel roasted). It's sort of reminding me about ice cream degustation: some people like to take bites into the solid, others prefer leaching of the melting surface.

:D

Anyway i came to conclude that no "Hot Dry Air Ovenizer" can pretend to offer access to a similar challenge; it's frozen in a static thermalized perspective while my LAVA engine concept relies on transitory dynamic properties capable of bridging this gap i believe.

:2c:

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
At least that's what my experiments with "Micro-Bursting" appear to validate: paradoxically, improved aroma/taste appreciation results from more risky (shorter/potent) heat bursts.

I've noticed the same thing with my Newvape Flowerpot Showerhead and have been talking about it for months, preserved flavor at higher temps, utilizing short micro bursts of heat which can completely milk a tube in seconds.

Anyway i came to conclude that no "Hot Dry Air Ovenizer" can pretend to offer access to a similar challenge; it's frozen in a static thermalized perspective while my LAVA engine concept relies on transitory dynamic properties capable of bridging this gap i believe.

This is at 777F

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Invertedisdead,

I've noticed the same thing with my NewvapeFlowerpot Showerhead and have been talking about it for months...

Nice to meet you! :D

Indeed, i have no difficulty to imagine it happens; actually i may be familiar with a similar feeling. :nod:

And there's more... What i came to call the "Release/Transport Agent" for example, e.g. where Inlet Water can be expected to make a significant difference between "Hot Dry Air Ovenizers" and my customized "Clean-Burning Butane" VG pipe: my exhaust gases are a mix of super-hot H2O + CO2, seasoned with comet dust (15 ~ 30 ppm) i must confess, which finally implies that my "Release/Transport Agent" has its specific heat capacity raised by the addition of water vapor to dry air:

Steam @ 100 °C = 2.009 ~ 2.020
Air = 1.020

Only a tiny amount is involved, maybe it's a modest boost something like 20 ~ 30 percent, i just don't know, but i'm certain it's still a boost clearly above 1.0 nonetheless - hence me calling it "Potentialization".

So, believe me saying i'm not very popular when i suggest that clean-burning butane provides both inlet self-moisturization and potentialisation altogether. Yet that could be of importance and most specially in a "Micro-Bursting" context, because quick is better as i've observed myself (and/or zero "baking" is best)... So, to me that means such potentialisation suffices to conveniently compensate for more compact bursts, by carrying more energy than hot dry air alone in even less time, to limit heat propagation, eventually baking, etc...

:science:

...preserved flavor at higher temps, utilizing short micro bursts of heat which can completely milk a tube in seconds. This is at 777F

It wouldn't be challenging to convince me since i can believe this as well. Lets just not forget it's all dynamic when convective/radiative heat assited by conductive heat set things in motion...

Yet my LAVA concept is aiming for some pocket format reminescent of breedings between the FireFly and a FlowerMate or E-Livi8: flat, rectangular, battery-operated with a telescopic straw, no display and only 1 power switch, etc., etc. Self-moisturizing option by the addition of distilled water droplets, with potentialization of my release/transport agent as a bonus...

What i'm saying is that we may be observing the same phenomenon at different scales. So, yes, i can believe it after all. At least it shows how 1st-hand experience influences perceptions.

:tup:

Good day and thanks for sharing the fun!! :peace:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
And there's more... What i came to call the "Release/Transport Agent" for example, e.g. where Inlet Water can be expected to make a significant difference between "Hot Dry Air Ovenizers" and my customized "Clean-Burning Butane" VG pipe: my exhaust gases are a mix of super-hot H2O + CO2, seasoned with comet dust (15 ~ 30 ppm) i must confess, which finally implies that my "Release/Transport Agent" has its specific heat capacity raised by the addition of water vapor to dry air:

I actually saw you post about this in another thread recently and have been messing with butane powered concepts at home. I don't have tons of experience with this type of butane vaporization yet, but so far, I would tend to agree that I notice some smoothness from the water vapor!

So, believe me saying i'm not very popular when i suggest that clean-burning butane provides both inlet self-moisturization and potentialisation altogether.

That I can believe!! :D

But the naysayers should know that this method comes with the most potent vapor signature!

no display and only 1 power switch,

Full spectrum!! I like that :)

What i'm saying is that we may be observing the same phenomenon at different scales. So, yes, i can believe it after all. At least it shows how 1st-hand experience influences perceptions.

:tup:

Good day and thanks for sharing the fun!! :peace:

Thank you!! It's truly a strange phenomenon, better flavor at higher temperatures, but I'm on your side, there's something to this "flash" vaporization.

:cheers:

Egzoset

Banned
Hi there Invertedisdead,

I don't have tons of experience with this type of butane vaporization yet, but so far, I would tend to agree that I notice some smoothness from the water vapor!

Actually if there's an IH vape on the desk then my guess is that most potential owners will want to try a "Plan-A" 1st, even if "dry", and then eventually forget about "Plan-B" - unless it may come handy, for example to seek aroma/taste features (at the moment i hardly imagine pocket IH "Micro-Bursting" competing with "Plan-B" for high-power applications). That makes "Bi-Energy" a valuable asset as even a jetable Bic butane lighter from a local store will do fine...

It's not an easy idea to explain. There are practical reasons in favor of fire compatibility; injection of a "Heat Charge" even via a clean-burning "jet" butane flame doesn't actually require a human operator to expose his own lungs path if he prefers not to. A pump inside the IH Driver can handle the "Pre-Heating" phase, but what for?! Visualize it: in IH mode we don't have to rely on a convective heat vector at all, energy can be stored in the Hybrid Core(s) while still in iddle state, in absence of any airflow.

:nod:

On top of this the dual-core capsule concept invites post re-vaporization, i believe. Which also doubles as a simple self-cleaning solution, by reversing the capsule once in a while. Nothing will stick there for long and microscopic flying droplets in the cannabic stream would shrink even further i figure: combining self-moisturization to less harsh trimmed-down cannabic particules.

Anyway, back to water as an option, a majority of future vaporists do not have to worry much about it, lucky them. It's not mandatory but i wish manufacturers were more inclusive.

;)

...this method comes with the most potent vapor signature! Full spectrum!!

I think "the shortest path of lesser transformation" accurately describes it, as for appreciation in terms of rich aroma/taste and also some generous cloud opacity i'd say it's simply a matter of matching energy and mass. At least i know it doesn't take much to reach an application range where securely sitting on a chair is a pre-requirement, because of what i tagged the "punch-in-the-face" effect, with a shrinking vision tunel, etc... As a matter of fact i had to deliberately tame down the output, as it was too "destructive" when connected to a water toy!

3vg2a.jpg

Cheap and effective, but it lacked balance if i may say so. At least i did as i recall!...

:p

...truly a strange phenomenon, better flavor at higher temperatures

In a static ovenized setup, m'yeah. But i'm assuming a burst of energy carried by a combination of convective and radiative vectors, with some conduction made usefull in pre-heating a bowl, ideally.

Does the vegetal mass have time to over-heat starting from the moment it becomes volatile?... Distances are extremely short in my Hybrid Core, the Top-of-Bowl SiC Puck is only 2.4 mm thick and the SiC cells contain air pockets which rise in temperature as it gets closer to my 1 mm thick Metal Disc (the one with seventeen #53 holes)... Passage through this "heat-valve" barrier is real quick when inhalation begins.

Past the bottom-of-bowl screen there's a large auxiliary cavity which traps particles, apparently by virtue of its vortex action. In any case i doubt temperature continues to rise at that point, quite on the contrary: constant direction changes due to turbulence only accelerate thermalization while heat is converted and dissipated, possibly with a delay. Now lets include a tiny cotton swab in my pipe's Mating Junction, plus the PVC Extension Tubing where excess moisture is condensed and even absorbed by the clear plastic which turns "milky" translucent, with droplets collecting on the inside surface, etc...

Does a pulse's heat front continue to bake my noble molecules after vaporization set those free and they started leaving the bowl through underlying cannabic matter, etc??

:sherlock:

It's a dynamic process, i'm not so sure the vaporized substances still heat up once the "Release/Transport Agent" captures/carries them away... If my assumption is correct then this may be a reasonable explanation about how i manage to get satisfied using so little vegetal mass when i used to need 5 ~ 6 times more. 300 mg bowls were not rare when i was "electric" and i recall this became too wasteful to continue as i often felt short of breath, more and more. A solution was required and i got one to hold onto at last!

...there's something to this "flash" vaporization.

It's been a bit tricky getting there but i wouldn't want to regress, flash-vaporization evokes the right images, or try fry-vaping perhaps. There's a reason why i eventually adopted a kitchen-size torch: it was because i needed a steep energy input in order to explore shorter bursts. Excessive but also informative, though with IH mode ahead i'd favour just rising the Curie point until the Heat Charge matches its workload instead.

At the moment "impossible" would sure sound premature!

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everybody,

Here's a LAVA Near-Symetrical REVERSIBLE "Bi-Energy" layout which evokes multiple scenarios, can the best "trained eyes" lurking around visualize them all?

Any volunteers? NASA boys need not be shy.

The top half corresponds to my late "DeLuxe" Hybrid Core configuration while the other is "Basic"; so lets have a reminder, in large characters:

These dimensions a valid when using the VaporGenie pipe as a "Prototyping Platform", different internal paths from other brands/devices are most likely to require adjustments. Not to mention IH-driven experiments may need to deal with materials reacting too much even in transitional "pulse" mode when it's not meant to; e.g. although the Brass Screen works wonders defocussing radiative torch heat in "Plan-B" it's probably awaiting introspective revision in "Plan-A".

A fresh bowl is 1st enjoyed by promoting Aroma/Taste appreciation, then the capsule can be flipped up-side-down to finish it using my CBD-compatible cfg, which is also appropriate for self-cleaning reclaims... Stirring in between would seem advisable unless the unused PinHole is re-assigned to some ultrasonic shaker, in principle.

My Bi-Energy-compatible (LAVA) "Plan-B" concept has been tweaked extensively over the years but Induction Heat remains a challenge reserved to the attention of true pioneer spirits looking for a virgin top niche!

Fanboys and their worshiped/installed gurus can be expected getting busy writing hostile correspondence via private messages instead (...), so maybe it's quite about time to find out why.

:worms:

Here's the simple strategy i suggest, just trim down a pair of SiC pucks from 2 VG pipes as illustrated:

That should result in Hybrid Cores sufficiently alike to work as a pair and yet different enough so each end has its own "character". For example in 1 of the most obvious scenarios it implies that "Basic" works best turning a post-vaporisation half-capsule into some self-cleaning filter (in replacement of a cotton swab), possibly with the bonus of thinner cloud particles in IH-driven mode, from re-heating (...) - then lets not forget clean-burning butane fall-back compatibility as it supports self-moisturizing and potentialization of the release/transport agent, for guys like me who just can't stand "Hot Dry Air Ovenizers" anymore...

Etc., etc.

virtualpurple

Salutations everybody,

Here's a LAVA Near-Symetrical REVERSIBLE "Bi-Energy" layout which evokes multiple scenarios, can the best "trained eyes" lurking around visualize them all?

Any volunteers? NASA boys need not be shy.

The top half corresponds to my late "DeLuxe" Hybrid Core configuration while the other is "Basic"; so lets have a reminder, in large characters:

These dimensions a valid when using the VaporGenie pipe as a "Prototyping Platform", different internal paths from other brands/devices are most likely to require adjustments. Not to mention IH-driven experiments may need to deal with materials reacting too much even in transitional "pulse" mode when it's not meant to; e.g. although the Brass Screen works wonders defocussing radiative torch heat in "Plan-B" it's probably awaiting introspective revision in "Plan-A".

A fresh bowl is 1st enjoyed by promoting Aroma/Taste appreciation, then the capsule can be flipped up-side-down to finish it using my CBD-compatible cfg, which is also appropriate for self-cleaning reclaims... Stirring in between would seem advisable unless the unused PinHole is re-assigned to some ultrasonic shaker, in principle.

My Bi-Energy-compatible (LAVA) "Plan-B" concept has been tweaked extensively over the years but Induction Heat remains a challenge reserved to the attention of true pioneer spirits looking for a virgin top niche!

Fanboys and their worshiped/installed gurus can be expected getting busy writing hostile correspondence via private messages instead (...), so maybe it's quite about time to find out why.

:worms:

Here's the simple strategy i suggest, just trim down a pair of SiC pucks from 2 VG pipes as illustrated:

That should result in Hybrid Cores sufficiently alike to work as a pair and yet different enough so each end has its own "character". For example in 1 of the most obvious scenarios it implies that "Basic" works best turning a post-vaporisation half-capsule into some self-cleaning filter (in replacement of a cotton swab), possibly with the bonus of thinner cloud particles in IH-driven mode, from re-heating (...) - then lets not forget clean-burning butane fall-back compatibility as it supports self-moisturizing and potentialization of the release/transport agent, for guys like me who just can't stand "Hot Dry Air Ovenizers" anymore...

Etc., etc.

I wish that I were better able to understand the science that you seem so comfortable with! I am so interested but I am definitely struggling to keep up!

virtualpurple,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations VirtualPurple,

I wish that I were better able to understand the science that you seem so comfortable with!

That's the trick: this thread and mostly all previous (yet related) ones were actually intended to require only a minimalistic amount of real science. Quite admittedly, lots of past comments appeared to promote confusion between my invitation to duplicate then peer review vs the packaging style, which is about the future - not the past.

So, i realize it's obviously big and perhaps even intimidating, but lets admit i can only share the fun by displaying my prize with pride! ... Now that, perhaps, is where communications fail. But the way it works is simple and requires little understanding to duplicate successfully, provided dimensions and other external factors remain unchanged by adopting a VG pipe to serve as a "Prototyping Platform" (to establish a common frame of reference).

If it were me i suppose a glass body would be most appropriate in IH mode...

I am so interested but I am definitely struggling to keep up!

Who can't punch numbers into some on-line calculator, nonetheless??

For example, lets gather dimensional data from past experiences:

This particular susceptor measured 12.46 mm (dia.), as confirmed by this publication dated 2017-Jun-24:

My late update of the final susceptor design has set thickness at 1 mm exactly, as for its 17 tiny holes they're #53 in size - which translates as a material void over a circular surface of about (1.5113 mm dia.) each. Hence, so far calculation only involves substracting the sum of those 17 voids from a plain disc.

My link to some on-line "Materials Weight Calculator" is now broken, i found an alternate resource which also provides an HTTPs (secure) link:

Lets have a try with it!

Metal = "T-304 Stainless"
Shape = "Round Bar"
Units = "1"
Diameter = "12.46", "mm"
Length = "1.0", "mm"

[ CALCULATE ] ==> 0.0009525537512473917 Kilo-Gram, or 0.9525537512473917 g for a plain SS403 Metal Disc...

Now here's an evaluation of the 17-holes void:

Metal = "T-304 Stainless"
Shape = "Round Bar"
Units = "17"
Diameter = "1.5113", "mm"
Length = "1.0", "mm"

[ CALCULATE ] ==> 0.00022679851220175996 Kilo-Gram, or 0.22679851220175996 g for the 17-holes void of a functional LAVA susceptor.

Starting from there it's no more difficult to input those 2 numbers into a regular Windows calculator:

Code:
  0,9525537512473917  g
- 0,22679851220175996 g

Which, by the way, reminds me that paid scientifics of the Canuck land actually put a comma sign where i'm used to want a dot instead. M'well, anyway for a 2 cores capsule that's 1.451510478091264 g or just about 1.45 if we can live with the uncertainty...

;)

Now that we can evaluate susceptor(s) weight to range around 1.45 g (total) it's nearly child's play to finish the task with another on-line calculator after finding "Specific Heat Capacity" from my list as posted for the reader's own convenience, previously:

Specific Heat:

Slicon Carbide = 0.503
Stainless Steel 304 (AISI) = 0.477

Doing so please make sure to notice that nobody even needs to open a book.

All that remains to be done is to decide what's the target temperature supposed to be like. I'm going to input a temperature rise of 150 degrees Celcius, for example:

Specific HeatCapacity Equation -- EndMemo Calculator
[ www.endmemo.com/physics/specificheat.php ]

Susceptor Mass = "1.45", "g"
Temperature Change = "150", "C, K" <--

Specific Heat Capacity = "0.477","J/g•C(K)"

[ CALCULATE ] ==> Required Heat = "103.7475", "J"

Or ~104 Joules (after conversion into effective IH power) to elevate both core temperatures by 150 degrees Celcius overall. Ah, and starting from a 25 degrees Celcius room temperature.

In other words replace the 17-Holes Metal Disc with a similar object of equivalent weight, metal formulation and aero-dynamics for a capsule to perform approximately the same. My suggestion so far has been to cut a DynaVap CCD Screen as shown, hoping it's close enough for a match once done as illustrated:

Still no NASA stuff ever proved necessary for some eventually deceptive cloud of confusion to slowly begin to dissipate.

In any case this is only intended for those seeking Bi-Energy scenarios with IH power injection included. "PLan-B" can be duplicated right away following the proposed Hybrid Core layout(s): simply cut and aim for the target thicknesses as that's all there is to it for a vast majority of readers. I think...

If it remains too "complicated" then lets just accept that it's not a challenge at the reach of absolutely everyone. YMMV.

At least i expect those who worked with portables to be able to tell what can be done with a hundred Joules - or simply consider finding out for yourselves.

P.S.: This was a long post and i'm too tired to read-proof once again, hence please add correctives if that's relevant.

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations,

About precision and evaluation numbers...

Using a low-cost MasterCraft (58-6800-4) "Electronic Caliper" i finally got an opportunity to revisit the GENUINE VaporGenie core, twice as i've promptly received a pair of Aluminium Classic-look pipes yesterday.

My 1st surprize was to find that i can now manage to operate the genuine VG sphere after acquiring sufficient skills. It helped me re-adjust my perspective but i guess i'd never be able to retro-grade even if i wanted: it would involve just too many ramifications and i don't have the lungs for another ride.

Yet i'm hesitant if i shouldn't always keep 1 unit in genuine condition, just for reference. This is still a reflexion time for me i guess...

Meanwhile here's the result of my readings and a brief description about how it's been done.

VG's SiC "puck", or ceramic "filter", as they call it (...), measures on average 7.76 mm (thick) x 13.66 mm (dia.) with a tolerance error below +/- 0.5 % it seems. Though this fails to equally account for reading errors from the caliper itself. In any case what i did was to simply rotate the part(s) while taking repeated reads, trying to retain the extremes so i can calculate their average value. Nothing very professional there, only what it takes to be good enough. Not to mention sometimes when i felt i had found an aberration i checked again, sort of rejecting the previous one...

There are 2 Spheres, one "Flamed" and the other "Teak". The later definitely has my preference but it can still prove handy when in need for a duo of easy-to-differenciate Spheres. In one of them the SiC body measured from 7.69 to 7.76 mm long - which is a direct deading from my tool's display. It was 7.72 to 7.85 for the next SiC part, so it already tells me in the end the 2nd digit after the dot may lack precision. Hence it's safe to drop the 3rd digit when done calculating.

Additionally, the cutting operation adds more incertainties of its own, +/- 0.3 mm with a brand-new 46 tpi saw/blade...

Now lets remind ourselves of the target dimensions:

Hummm... Where do i cut exactly?? All the sudden Popeye needs his spinach!...

Gee, i'm afraid the long premise depleted my capacity to perform the intended reasoning any further. Lunch time has come and kind of late, so maybe that's why.

:ko:

M'well, if i stare at it long enough between 2 bites, maybe a while later...

To be continued.

Last edited:
Top Bottom