Just started vaping And NOT A HAPPY CAMPER

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsgeorge

Hello, I just bought a Vape and I think I made a big mistake. I have been smoking daily since I was 18 ( I am now 56). I figured it was time to give my lungs a break. When I vape all I get is a heady dizzy feeling, Not the relaxed feeling i am used to. Is this what i should expect? What a bummer! In all my years of smoking I never had the chance to try one. I wanted to keep smoking but in healthy way,but if this is all you get vaping I am going back to combustion. Hell you have to die from something. Is this the best it gets or am i doing something wrong? I am getting plenty of vapor, But this is not the effect I am looking for. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

itsgeorge,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Which model vape are you using?

Can you increase the vape temp about 50F and see if you get a heavier stone?

Hippie Dickie,

itsgeorge

I am using a Hot Box. So no temp adjustment . I am getting vapor and used herb looks and feels like it should. I have noticed that the whip keeps the herb not as close to the heating element as others. Do you think a different whip that holds the herb closer to the heating element might work? Will any whip fit this vaporizer?
Thanks

itsgeorge,

Durden

I am Jack's title
I would not recommend a HotBox as a primary vape because of the lack of adjustable temperature. I had one of the decorated HotBox vapes for about 2 years and it never got much use, but now since switching to the extreme I really only smoke to be polite.
When I used the hotbox I had similar frustrations, a better vaporizer is probably your best option since you are an experienced user.
For home use I would suggest you check out the Extreme, SSV/DaBuddha, or VHW wand in the Vaporizer Discussion section of the forum and see if any of those units look interesting to you. There are other vaporizers that work well but I have personal experience with getting full hits through water tools that easily rival or surpass any smoking experience using the units above.

Durden,

lwien

Durden said:
I would not recommend a HotBox as a primary vape because of the lack of adjustable temperature.
There are MANY here including me that use the Purple Days as their primary vape and it doesn't have an adjustable temerature and they are VERY happy using it as their daily workhorse. Depending on how I hit it, I can get the ABV to come out a very very dark brown, just shy of black, so vaping in the upper temp ranges is not an issue. If he's getting plenty of vapor, and the ABV looks cashed, I don't see how a vape with an adjustable temp controller would make any difference.

lwien,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
How long have you been vaporizing?

I smoked everyday for 10 years, took me ~6-7 weeks to convert full to vapor, now I can never go back.

You really need to get used to the mental high, no longer will you want to curl up in bed and sleep for 16 hours a day :D

Chubba,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
itsgeorge said:
Hello, I just bought a Vape and I think I made a big mistake. I have been smoking daily since I was 18 ( I am now 56). I figured it was time to give my lungs a break. When I vape all I get is a heady dizzy feeling, Not the relaxed feeling i am used to. Is this what i should expect? What a bummer! In all my years of smoking I never had the chance to try one. I wanted to keep smoking but in healthy way,but if this is all you get vaping I am going back to combustion. Hell you have to die from something. Is this the best it gets or am i doing something wrong? I am getting plenty of vapor, But this is not the effect I am looking for. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Interesting. I've never used a hotbox but I assume it's an acceptable vaporizer. I do like the way the hotbox looks and feels. Trust when I say that the norm is to get near tripping level high from vaporizing; i guess more of an "active" type of head than a near stupor. But not dizzy. The adjustable temp control means nothing, really, if it's set right to begin with and maintains the correct heat level, and the fact that you are exhaling visible vapor suggests that it is. Question - does it taste sweet and welcoming or does it have like a popcorn like harsh nasty taste?
Don't give up on vaping, whatever you do. If you can get a chance to check out a Silver Surfer, or a Da Buddha, or a Purple Days, I think you'll be quite blown away. Also I hear very good things
about the Vapor Cannon although I've never tried one, but they're inexpensive - I know the hotbox is around 150, the vapor Cannon is a little bit less.
Worse comes to worse, get what you can from the hotbox and then maybe sell it on craigslist and upgrade to a very good vaporizer.

jeffp,

kalinga

It seems you're used to the CBD/CBN couch-lock high. From what i've read, vaporizing only releases THC which is dominantly a cerebral high. Correct me if i'm wrong.

kalinga,

itsgeorge

I have been vaporizing about 5 days now. 5 very frustrating days. The thought of using less and health benefits really sounded good. I am using way more herb and not even getting a good buzz. I did a lot of reading and for its price the Hot Box looked like the way to go. I didn't want to be screwing around with a temp control knob while high. It sounded like a accident waiting to happen, I wanted a set it and forget it.
Also a lot of ads for vaps with a temp control said different herbs needed different temps, well there was only going to be one kind of herb used in this box. I figured the factory set thermostat would be set at the right temp. They know what the people are vaporizing in these things. So help me out folks, should I flea bay the hot box, for another brand with a temp control, or just keep playing around with this thing and hope at some point I get it right? Also could anyone who has a hot box clue me in as to what the trick is to using this if there is one? Can I buy a different whip to get a better buzz. Am I packing it correctly , the instructions say grind it fine,when I do that and take a draw pieces of herb blow through the screen into my mouth. I can't help thinking that the wand that came with it keeps the herb too far away from the heating element. I really don't know what to do, sell it and get another make from another company ( I can't keep throwing money at this ) All your help and wisdom on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

itsgeorge,

kalinga

you might want to switch to a vaporizer with temp adjustment so you can set the temp a bit higher to release CBD/CBN compounds to achieve that body-high. :2c:

kalinga,

lwien

How are you drawing on that whip? Are you hitting it hard and sucking fast, or are you taking a very slow steady draw?

lwien,

itsgeorge

I am getting a nice tasty flavor. That is what is so frustrating it tasted great. But no Buzz. WTF ??????

itsgeorge,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
hold that hit longer...you dont want to be blowing out massive vapor clouds...thats wasted high wafting away

:2c:

Hennessy1414,

Beezleb

My honest advice is that the hotbox is not a bad vape but it is not for everybody. Generally the hotbox is seen as a good "starter" desktop vape. If your not liking the vapor now, its not likely to change with another vaporizer. The hotbox is temperature is a good temp setting and I believe that vapor is only noticeable when comparing low temp vapor to high temp. I never noticed a true sensational difference in feeling from mid temp range vapor to high temp range vapor.

If it was me, I would cut my vaping loses and maybe look at it more another time. You are relatively new to experiencing weed and it will affect somewhat differently as time goes on. I would say if your not getting nothing out of vaping and it appears you are doing it correctly, I would look at vapes in a year or so and at parties and whatnot where you may come across one from to time and judge it that way.

Best of luck to you and I hope I am wrong. I would hate to see vaping not be right for you but if so I would expect that in time the vaping effects may better for you.

Beezleb,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
He said he'd been smokin dope for lie 36 years...

Hot boxes suck. You should get an extreme or a volcano.

bluntfaced,

lwien

bluntfaced said:
He said he'd been smokin dope for lie 36 years...

Hot boxes suck. You should get an extreme or a volcano.
The Hot Box vape is a very good vape as is the Extreme and the 'Cano.

I could come up with a few reasons why the Extreme and the Volcano suck. All vapes have their downsides, but overall, all three of the vapes that you mention are good vapes.

lwien,

Durden

I am Jack's title
I don't think I ever mentioned the PD in my post, and in fact said that there were other good vaporizers that could work besides the ones I listed. I personally own a PD and am happy with its performance, it gets around the issue of having a set temp by having a very small bowl and air passage as well as forcing you to grind up the material more finely, among other things. The HotBox has a much larger surface area to place the material and has a longer whip that makes pulling out the vapor a much larger chore from my experience. I also got the dizziness feeling from using the HotBox, which was pretty similar (though worse) to when the extreme isn't clean and the airflow is restricted. The person who has the HotBox now likes it just fine, but he only uses it the few times a month that he partakes. I needed something with a higher vapor to air ratio for the work required, if the HotBox had a temperature adjustment I feel I could have turned up the heat to find that correct level for my personal and already long established inhalation expectations. It is all personal preference but moving to a whip with temperature controls was the thing that got me to stop smoking, the higher density vapor (which I can also get from the PD with proper inhalation/packing) pulled through one of my water tools changed the whole equation for me.

Durden,

marcuss

above the clouds
itsgeorge...sell your box and enjoy smoking......some people look for a narcotic and stoney effect when vaping but its is quite hard to achieve unless you vape 10 bowls in half an hour....vapor is ways less toxic than smoke so save your money and herb for a stoney blunt....your are too used to smoke and it is really hard to replicate the buzz(stone) you like with a pure flow of thc....you need more intoxication to enjoy your buzz IMO...i have some friends like you dude...it is a matter of habits!

marcuss,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
itsgeorge said:
I have been vaporizing about 5 days now. 5 very frustrating days. The thought of using less and health benefits really sounded good. I am using way more herb and not even getting a good buzz. I did a lot of reading and for its price the Hot Box looked like the way to go. I didn't want to be screwing around with a temp control knob while high. It sounded like a accident waiting to happen, I wanted a set it and forget it.
Also a lot of ads for vaps with a temp control said different herbs needed different temps, well there was only going to be one kind of herb used in this box. I figured the factory set thermostat would be set at the right temp. They know what the people are vaporizing in these things. So help me out folks, should I flea bay the hot box, for another brand with a temp control, or just keep playing around with this thing and hope at some point I get it right? Also could anyone who has a hot box clue me in as to what the trick is to using this if there is one? Can I buy a different whip to get a better buzz. Am I packing it correctly , the instructions say grind it fine,when I do that and take a draw pieces of herb blow through the screen into my mouth. I can't help thinking that the wand that came with it keeps the herb too far away from the heating element. I really don't know what to do, sell it and get another make from another company ( I can't keep throwing money at this ) All your help and wisdom on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone
Do you have any friends that have different vaporizers that you can check out? Is it possible that you have a bum hotbox?

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Durden said:
I don't think I ever mentioned the PD in my post, and in fact said that there were other good vaporizers that could work besides the ones I listed. I personally own a PD and am happy with its performance, it gets around the issue of having a set temp by having a very small bowl and air passage as well as forcing you to grind up the material more finely, among other things. The HotBox has a much larger surface area to place the material and has a longer whip that makes pulling out the vapor a much larger chore from my experience. I also got the dizziness feeling from using the HotBox, which was pretty similar (though worse) to when the extreme isn't clean and the airflow is restricted. The person who has the HotBox now likes it just fine, but he only uses it the few times a month that he partakes. I needed something with a higher vapor to air ratio for the work required, if the HotBox had a temperature adjustment I feel I could have turned up the heat to find that correct level for my personal and already long established inhalation expectations. It is all personal preference but moving to a whip with temperature controls was the thing that got me to stop smoking, the higher density vapor (which I can also get from the PD with proper inhalation/packing) pulled through one of my water tools changed the whole equation for me.
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. The Purple Days vaporizer has a HUGE following on this forum - you just can't go wrong with it. Best of all, the inventor, Tom, is a regular on this forum and he's a straight up friendly guy and he'll set you straight on any issues you may be having forever. It's $180 and there's about a 3 month wait list to get one, and there's a good reason for that. Each one is hand made and he takes his time building each one right. I don't agree that you should go back to smoking. Vaping is better for you and it's the future.

The vaping high is totally profound and intense. It's not a lightheaded dizzy feeling. It's more like a floaty, slightly trippy high. Similar in a way to eating but obviously not as intense.

My gut feeling is that the Hotbox is not for you - different vaporizers produce different effects.

As a consideration, check out your local Craigslist for used vaporizers and post here what is available and we'll tell you what we think. Most of us own a few different vapes that we use for different occasions and purposes. Like the Purple Days is an idea personal vaporizer, whereas the Silver Surfer or the Da Buddha is more appropriate for group settings - many of us have both for that reason.

Don't give up on vaporizing. You just need to have one good experience with it to get it.

jeffp,

marcuss

above the clouds
vapor is the real deal for all the ganja conossieurs BUT for its heady and motivational high it is not enough for a used to smoke for 38 years....someone simply likes the fullfilling and blasting effect of a fat spliff(thc,cbd,cbn,benzene,CO2 & c)....if you ever smoked a good blunt you know what i mean.....

marcuss,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Yes, I loved the effects of a tasty blunt and won't turn it down if presented. But vaping is not a world apart from smoking. If all it produced was a dizzy lightheaded feeling, that wouldn't be enough to proclaim "fuck combustion." It's a deep full stone but maybe a cleaner, more active head.

Is it at all possible that the material that you're using isn't up to snuff?

jeffp,

NoSmoke

Alright jumping in late here! I just want to mention that the Hotbox is a crappy ca ca crappy vape and thats my :2c: and im sticking to it. I have an old friend who owned a Hotbox and never used it (never), then one day I said to him "what the fuck is that." He busted it out, and I experienced vapor for the first time. It was a really light contact high :/ , but that high motivated me to find a better vape with thicker hits and a kick your ass stone, the result my very first vape The Silver Surfer :D. The SSV was great and was really getting me where I needed with some good Indica, you will get couchlock ;). anywho as has been mentioned the SSV w the adjustable temp and small hole for airflow, you get some really thick (smokey) hits:brow:, especially with a bong connection. Now the PD even though it doesn't have the adjustable temp, it has a very high vapor to air ratio creating some thick hits and a nice buzz, this leads me to another story. I have another buddy I know who purchased a Hotbox not too long ago, he was happy with it until he tried my buddies PD, then his fondness of the HB fell completely, as a matter of fact I don't think he even uses it anymore. The hotbox does the trick of vaping, but not of getting you vaped :|. Long story short if you want to experience vapor to the fullest I recommend you try either the SSV, DBV, or the Vriptech Heatwand. I would go with the VHW personally, in my experience I haven't gotten stoned as much with anything as with the wand :cool: I love my wand!!!

NoSmoke,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hey George, just for the fun of it i just won a Vapor Warez 3G on Ebay for $49 with free shipping. I love my PD but couldn't resist since I was always curious about this vape and some very knowledgeable people on this forum consider it their favorite vaporizer. The reason it sold cheaply in my opinion is because the style of it is "old school" box style and passe. Plus there is a 4G upgrade which is hands free, which doesn't mean alot to me. In fact I think I would prefer the control of the non hands free model better.

You ought to spend some time going through these pages here and get an education; get a short list of good vapes and then look for a bargain. Maybe you'll break even selling the HotBox.

But that can take hours. A faster solution is to click the CHAT button on this forum and talk to some experts in real time - there's always a bunch hanging around and they'll be happy to give you very authoritative recommendations.

Good luck.

jeffp,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
I dunno I know a few people that have used hot boxes, hated them, completely dismissed vaporizing and then tried a better vape and loved it.

I recomended a Volcano or an extreme because he likes a stony high and from my experience you can reach that stony high as well as get a much more smoky feel out of the vapor with a volcano or an E than a Hot Box.

bluntfaced,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom