JCVAP Poby Smart Dab Rig Vaporizer

DeezVaprz

Am I the only one that’s not stoked on the poby? I have a proxy with the standard and 3 grams xl chamber.

So far the poby on the highest heat setting with a warm up is putting out clouds close to green on a proxy. Maybe I got a dud?!

Are you using the wooden pipe? If so you might have the same air leak I had from the bottom.

DeezVaprz,
Reactions: LesPlenty

80Sixed

I am. This would make sense as well. Im going to use the glass from my proxy tonight. Have you tried the standard carb cap with a terp pearl? Going to give that a go tonight!
Would love to hear how it compares to the 3d proxy once you’re not in the wood, as my plan is to grab the proxy and the 3d from jcvap if I don’t get the poby

80Sixed,
Reactions: florduh

Herbie Hancock

The 60 Second Assasin
So. I had very high hopes for this myself. I love the pockety and how easy it is to maintain. I have the proxy as well which is okay, but I don’t love it due to it getting messy a little faster than I feel it should with reclaim leaking through the airhole.

I decided to order the proby and give it a shot. Very very underwhelmed. I will post again when I get my proxy back (and my 14mm proxy water piece adapter) from a friend for more testing.
Then I can determine if the wooden pipes are just that poorly constructed or if the device itself has flaws. My guess is it’s just the wooden pipe, and not the device…. I tried using a silicone gasket at the bottom and quite frankly it still wasn’t air tight.
I am surprised they let this go with such an obvious quality problem. I can only imagine they will have to address this issue sooner or later!

Razhumikin

So. I had very high hopes for this myself. I love the pockety and how easy it is to maintain. I have the proxy as well which is okay, but I don’t love it due to it getting messy a little faster than I feel it should with reclaim leaking through the airhole.

I decided to order the proby and give it a shot. Very very underwhelmed. I will post again when I get my proxy back (and my 14mm proxy water piece adapter) from a friend for more testing.
Then I can determine if the wooden pipes are just that poorly constructed or if the device itself has flaws. My guess is it’s just the wooden pipe, and not the device…. I tried using a silicone gasket at the bottom and quite frankly it still wasn’t air tight.
I am surprised they let this go with such an obvious quality problem. I can only imagine they will have to address this issue sooner or later!
Disappointing to hear but great and very valuable feedback, thank you.

JCat

Accessory Maker

Well, my perspective (since I ordered it with the glass pipe, but then it also came with the wooden one?), is it has nothing to do with the pipe or seal.

Either I've got a defective device or cup or both, or this device is just incapable of heating the cup sufficiently to actually vaporize the concentrate.

On top of that, there are a # of design flaws:
1. When you turn the device off and back on it doesn't keep your previous temp setting
2. In 2 back to back cycles (and 1 cycle barely produces vapor), it cuts out early and can't do the second cycle.
3. When doing back to back cycles, seams to randomly drop to lower temperature settings

So ... either this device is really, really bad, or mine's defective.

DeezVaprz

Well, my perspective (since I ordered it with the glass pipe, but then it also came with the wooden one?), is it has nothing to do with the pipe or seal.

Either I've got a defective device or cup or both, or this device is just incapable of heating the cup sufficiently to actually vaporize the concentrate.

1. When you turn the device off and back on it doesn't keep your previous temp setting
2. In 2 back to back cycles (and 1 cycle barely produces vapor), it cuts out early and can't do the second cycle.
3. When doing back to back cycles, seams to randomly drop to lower temperature settings

Still using mine (mostly loving it) so sad to see others are having issues. Will post up thoughts soon.

In the meantime, have you fully charged it? I know mine blinks and goes to the lowest setting when the battery is low/dead and doesn't heat up. Not the most intuitive unit as I haven't found a way to tell how much battery is left, aside from knowing when its fully charged (green) when plugged in.

Edit:

So I've probably put about a gram or so of material through this and have used it nearly every day since it was delivered. I also used my $8 credit and ended up paying $20 out of pocket for a moonbeam glass piece and some gaskets, and another $17.50 (should've ordered them together) for a new glass cap shipped. That combined with the original price of 134.99 for the Po'Boy and two spare heaters brings me to a grand total of $172.49.

tl:dr for that price, I am more than happy with the performance but the wooden mouthpiece leaves A LOT to be desired. more info below.

There are 3 timer settings that can be set by holding the button while the unit is off. Blue = 35 seconds, yellowish = 45 and purple = 60 seconds. I've been playing with the 35 and 45 second settings and am finding that 35 seconds works best for me. 4 heat settings, of which the lowest (white) seems to work great with the material I've been using so far (mostly live sugar, some budder). From a cold start on white, I need at least 25-30 seconds of a preheat to get everything up to temp. I then double click to stop the session, then double click to restart. Depending on how much I load, I can go through several 35 second sessions before having to QTip the bucket out.

A few pieces of info that might be helpful. As stated above, if it starts blinking white, or drops down from temp to white and won't heat up, that means it needs to be charged. I'm finding I need about 45 minutes or an hour to get it fully charged, and am getting somewhere around 25 45 second sessions of use, which ends up being 6-7 loads of rice grain or two sizes. If it gets too hot, the unit blinks red when trying to start a session or cuts it off when already in one. An interesting thing is that there is no manual fire mode, only session mode. When you hold the button, the unit lights up but nothing happens. Kinda lame but not a huge deal for me personally.

When I mentioned that the heater itself felt kinda flimsy, it's more so due to the design. The cup itself is only attached to the screw base with its two metal prongs, so if you grab it to twist it off or are too rough, I can imagine it will get damaged or bent out of shape near the connectors. Keeping the gasket in the right channel around the cup base keeps the noise down when using QTips though.

The unit has one hole that the vapors can leave from up top and two holes in the battery/unit itself that lead it to the lower chamber below. Depending on how you position them, you can have the vapor path as short or long as possible with your set up. With the glass piece, I have the top hole facing me and the two holes on the unit itself facing the front, so the vapor has to travel around and down, filling up the piece and cooling the vapors as much as possible. Very neat device but it does get cloudy with use, and things get sticky if you overload and inhale too hard. I'm using the turbo cap and 4mm SiC pearl with it and so far so good. The Moonbeam glass feels good in the hand but is a little thinner in diameter than the unit itself. Meh, nothing too bad.

As far as cleaning goes, nothing too bad if you don't overload it. Bucket gets spotless with a dry QTip or two, and the surfaces can be wiped with ISO easily. The turbo cap gets sticky so it'll gather crud if placed face down.

One bigger complaint, the stock cup developed some sort of crack or hole. I don't know how long it was there for and I haven't been using anything abrasive to clean it (only Q Tips) so I have no idea how it happened. Doesn't seem to go through the cup itself so maybe it's just the coating/glaze, but I informed JCVAP and they are sending me a replacement. I will use this one in the meantime to see how the damage progesses.

Biggest complaints? The wooden mouthpiece straight up stinks unless you get a perfect seal. My hair tie method worked but the new gaskets provided did not. Not a huge deal for me since I'm really digging the glass piece but just a heads up for those really looking forward to it. A thick smaller rubber band might be perfect. The unit itself is also easy to chip and scratch so be aware of that. I may have been a little rough with getting the hair tie jammed in there but just a heads up. A year or two ago I would have been more bothered, but right now it's whatever.

Overall, I have been very happy with the device. Battery life could be better, but it charges quickly and seems the par in this space. The wooden mouthpiece could be better, but my expectations were low to begin with. Biggest suggestions for a V2 would be a manual fire mode, reposition intake holes (to better cool the vapors), sturdier cup design, and a material that is a bit more resistant to chipping (but I may just be a savage). I would also like a way to tether any custom cap that I wanted and not have the cap permanently attached to the device.

For an out the door price of under $175 with two spare cups I am satisfied and it fits the use case I was hoping for nicely. Looking forward to more use and will update when I can. Glass ball cap on route so I'll try and show that when it arrives. Happy to answer any questions when I have a moment. Pics below!

Last edited:

The_dude_

I feel like m

i have to agree with you on this one. This device is complete ass. I own a puffco proxy as was planing to do a side by side review but at this point it’s not even worth it.

The fact that I have to heat it up for an entire heat cycle, then re heat just to take a dab and get minimal vapor is kind of a joke. None of the temp settings seem to do much either. They’re just so much to dislike about the poby. I can only imagine what doing multiple heat cycles will do to the life of it as well.

I feel like for 100 bucks it’s a complete waster of money. I get better hits from yocan quartz rods wrapped in kanthal.

And to top it off jcvap doesn’t want to do anything about it. Their solution is to send a replacement atomizer. I’ve told them that the device either isn’t good or defective and still nothing.

If anyone is planing to buy one just skip it and grab a used proxy in the 160 range. I’m a sucker for anything j hook shaped and had high hopes for the poby but it’s been a let down since I first hit it.

The_dude_

Would love to hear how it compares to the 3d proxy once you’re not in the wood, as my plan is to grab the proxy and the 3d from jcvap if I don’t get the poby
It’s a hard pass. They finally emailed me back saying they would send a v2 poby out when they are complete. This threw me for a complete curve ball honestly. Why would they release a v1 version that barely works.

The solution for a non working v1 is to wait for a v2. They never should have released the v1. I appreciate that they at least got back to me. But I would wait until the v2 comes out. I also noticed there was no one who had one of these that was testing as a beta unit. I would see if people get a v2 version to beta test and work out the kinks. First time ordering from jcvap and most likely my last.

We will see what the future holds.

DeezVaprz

It’s a hard pass. They finally emailed me back saying they would send a v2 poby out when they are complete. This threw me for a complete curve ball honestly. Why would they release a v1 version that barely works.

The solution for a non working v1 is to wait for a v2. They never should have released the v1. I appreciate that they at least got back to me. But I would wait until the v2 comes out. I also noticed there was no one who had one of these that was testing as a beta unit. I would see if people get a v2 version to beta test and work out the kinks. First time ordering from jcvap and most likely my last.

We will see what the future holds.

Were you able to use the Proxy glass with the poby? The wooden piece is no bueno IMO and without a proper gasket at the bottom, you won't be getting any vapor whatsoever. I hope that's what the issue is for you. My Po'boy seems to be hitting fine and anything above the green temp is just too hot for the trates I have now. Can't imagine using it at full temp and not getting anything (but again, that wooden piece is straight not working right).

Sorry you're having trouble with the device. Anyone else pick this boy up or is it just 2-3 of us?

DeezVaprz,

The_dude_

Were you able to use the Proxy glass with the poby? The wooden piece is no bueno IMO and without a proper gasket at the bottom, you won't be getting any vapor whatsoever. I hope that's what the issue is for you. My Po'boy seems to be hitting fine and anything above the green temp is just too hot for the trates I have now. Can't imagine using it at full temp and not getting anything (but again, that wooden piece is straight not working right).

Sorry you're having trouble with the device. Anyone else pick this boy up or is it just 2-3 of us?
I was able to use my stock proxy glass. The issue is that the cup doesn’t seem to get hot enough even at the highest temp.

Im a low temp/cold start and a rice size dab kind of guy. I’ll do bigger dabs but nothing crazy and the poby can’t keep up. I charged up my proxy last night since the poby was supposed to take its place and on green it shits on the poby. Jcvap doesn’t seem to wanna bell besides waiting a few months for a replacement.

I feel like these never went to beta because if they did they wouldn’t sell. I hope the v2 they are working on is better but I don’t have much hope.

Herbie Hancock

The 60 Second Assasin
I played around with rubber gaskets. For me it’s the seal. If I get a perfect seal it works. But near impossible to achieve with what I have. No go with the wooden pipe. And it’s okay in the proxy stock pipe but with effort and modding. Not exactly the point of this thing. After all I can just use the proxy.

Pretty amazed that they would release such a dud. Especially since they know what’s up and have a great product like the Pockety. Basically a paperweight

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
...it gets "beta tested" (hopefully?), it gets released...

then it comes here where the real beta testing begins...:tup:

Edit:

78e678a3-79fe-44c0-b25a-1df457924718_text.gif

Last edited:

The_dude_

Just a short clip of it in use. Not the best quality but it's what I can do!

Just watched the video. It doesn’t look like you’re getting a whole lot of vapor out of yours either, and you’re kind of gently puffing on it from the beginning. I wonder if they are going to do any updates to these v1 pobys

Top Bottom