Jars and grinder I can keep in fridge?

Nosferatu

I will need to keep all of my stash in my mini fridge from now on. So I was wondering first of all is a space case grinder airtight enough to put in the fridge, with some leftover shake in it? Also I need nice little glass jars that are completely airtight. I want them fairly small and really like 420 jars, but want a cheaper alternative? Specialtyglassbottles is nice but i dont know if they are all airtight?

Nosferatu,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
condensation would form anytime there is a temperature differential, so wouldn't you get moisture on the surfaces AND the herb inside?

what a bother, i feel for you

i use an empty hair product jar, and notice it's seal is good (I can leave it on my desk with no smell)

SUMOTECH.jpg

VWFringe,

Nosferatu

I know people put airtight mason jars of bud in the fridge, so I know its safe, but I'm guessing only if the jar is %100 airtight, otherwise the bud will get moisture and mold. Is this true thinking? Or am I better off just not putting it in the fridge?

Either way I want some nice jars like 420 jars but not so expensive? Where do they get thier jars?

Nosferatu,

max

Out to lunch
I'd forget about the grinder in the fridge. Whatever herb is in it will get damp. It's not even a good idea to store kief in the collector section of a grinder anywhere, since sooner or later it'll start sticking to the metal due to slight moisture in the air.

As for a jar or bottle, in additon to really good seal, I'd go a step further and put your herb in a ziplock bag and put that in the container.

max,

lwien

I keep my bud in the small airtight Space Case storage containers, and then put those containers in an airtight glass mason jar and keep them in the fridge in the lower vegetable drawers. Some of the buds have been in those containers for over 6 months with no mold whatsoever.

In most modern fridges, the humidity is quite low and the concern is that your bud will dry out rather than get moist if not in airtight containers. The concern with moisture is the change in temp when you take the containers out of the fridge and open them up, so what I do whenever I need to access the buds is that I leave the container open for about 5 minutes before I close them up and put them back in the fridge.

I don't recommend putting your bud in ziplock bags due to trichs sticking to the plastic.

lwien,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
max said:
I'd forget about the grinder in the fridge. Whatever herb is in it will get damp. It's not even a good idea to store kief in the collector section of a grinder anywhere, since sooner or later it'll start sticking to the metal due to slight moisture in the air.

As for a jar or bottle, in additon to really good seal, I'd go a step further and put your herb in a ziplock bag and put that in the container.

Nope, the herb will not get damp if; a) you have an airtight seal, b) when you remove your grinder/storage jar from the fridge you wait until it is at room temp before opening, and c) I put a small dessicant pack in the grinder/jar.

Mind you, I don't always wait for temperature equilibration to occur so I'm guilty of not following my own advice :)

There is no problem with refrigerated storage if you take proper precautions though. I keep plant samples in the fridge all the time at work.

regards

Tom

tdavie,

weedemon

enthusiast
use mason jars dude! (tried tested and true for many many years!) if there was something better we would be using it for our preserves! you can get a variety of sizes to suit your needs! I use everything from the 125 ml(personal carry for everyday use) jars right up to the big 1.5 Long term storage) liter jars. they are airtight and lock the stank in. i have weed from 2007 in jars still! [i know i know, with that age it's lost potency, but it's a special brand ok...?]

the secret is to make sure you are not putting damp shit in the jars to begin with so make sure it's dry and if it is moist open it up and air the jar out until it is dry!

and why do you want to put your grinder in a fridge? The cold will cause the metal to shrink and the warming to expand. I don't think putting this kind of stress daily on your grinder is a good idea.

if a smelly grinder is an issue you can seal it in a jar also.

also i am +1 on the getting your buds out of pastic bags! you are losing trichs in there and... well it's plastic! eww :D

weedemon,

Nosferatu

Ok thanks guys yeah I'm scratching the grinder idea and also am against plastic bags. But could anyone point me toward some nice mason jars, from gram size to ounce size, I really am looking for smaller ones like gram or 8th size mainly though with the mason jar seal.

Nosferatu,

lwien

I couldn't find mason jars that small which is the reason I went with the Space Case containers and then put them into the smallest Mason Jars I could find.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
tdavie said:
the herb will not get damp if; a) you have an airtight seal
How many grinders have an airtight seal?

b) when you remove your grinder/storage jar from the fridge you wait until it is at room temp before opening,
That doesn't account for humidity. Kief left in the collector section of any of my screen grinders always starts to stick to the metal sooner or later, and they're always at room temp.

c) I put a small dessicant pack in the grinder/jar.
IMO that's OK for a jar with a good seal. For a grinder, not so much.

max,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
this jar had a candle in it (nuked to melt)
saved $15 - I really like this jar, especially since I found it under the sink.
di-U258.jpg

I thought condensation would form after you took the grinder out of the fridge, since it would be cold, and then it would get warm (usually) - like they used to warn us to not play VHS video tapes after bringing them in from the cold...no?

VWFringe,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just picked up some of these today at a local dispensary.

They were giving them out with an 1/8 puchase or you can buy them for $5 ea.

Stu,

Nosferatu

I got one of those with an eigth at some club in LA once, cant remember the name tho, I shoulda kept it :uhoh:

Nosferatu,
Top Bottom