Is using PEI near the heater safe?

XpeeN

Hi, I'm trying to DIY a herb atty with an RDA that I've bought, and its MP made of PEI. I didn't use standard coils, but instead I copied the Musa 510 style of heater, and the heater ends up pretty close to the MP. I read about its Tg is about 217C, and although I don't plan to get to that high temp (I'm usually vaping around 190C) I feel like the TCR won't be so accurate with the temps, so I should be prepared for higher temps. I tried researching for a bit but found some twisted answers, one source said that you can continually use it up to 170C and the other one said up to 200C, so I'm kinda lost.
IDK where I can get some help about this, so I'm trying my luck around here. Should I just ditch this RDA, or can I use it without the PEI offgas on me (Does it even offgas around 200-210C?)?
I'm planning to get a more suitable RDA/RTA for this quest of DIY a 510 when I FINALLY will find one, but, well, I already got this one, so I thought about trying it in the meanwhile.
I can upload some pics if anyone interested.
Tnx :)

XpeeN,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I don't think the mouthpiece will experience temperatures hot enough to make it gas off or the like; PEI has been used in e cigs for a long time, even as an insulator pretty close to the coil. I think you're absolutely safe here, but if you still don't feel safe, you should be able to swap the mouthpiece for one made out of stainless steel or the like, they are standardized (either „510“ or „810” [yours is seemingly an 810¹]).

¹Edit: Sorry, probably won't be replaceable, seems like it only allows their own tips – since those RDAs come so cheap, maybe look for one with a standardized tip or made out of stainless steel.

Last edited:
Siebter,
Reactions: XpeeN

XpeeN

I don't think the mouthpiece will experience temperatures hot enough to make it gas off or the like; PEI has been used in e cigs for a long time, even as an insulator pretty close to the coil. I think you're absolutely safe here, but if you still don't feel safe, you should be able to swap the mouthpiece for one made out of stainless steel or the like, they are standardized (either „510“ or „810” [yours is seemingly an 810¹]).

¹Edit: Sorry, probably won't be replaceable, seems like it only allows their own tips – since those RDAs come so cheap, maybe look for one with a standardized tip or made out of stainless steel.
Thanks for the answer!
The thing that scare me the most is that ecig hits lasts 4 seconds tops. Standard convection vape require at least 10 seconds hit after the heater is ready, so let's say 15 secs. So with that in mind and with this "performs in continuous use to 340 °F (170 °C)" fact from wiki, I got a bit worried.
I did test it (without hitting, just let the heater work for like 25 secs, so it might be worse when hitting because of the hot air passing through the tip) and the PEI wasn't hot at all, but it did smell a bit.
I asked Fasttech to check with the manufacture about my case and about a replaceable tip from SS or something (I doubt that it'll help but IDK).

XpeeN,
Reactions: Siebter

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
The thing that scare me the most is that ecig hits lasts 4 seconds tops.

Actually e cigs can be hit in a wide range of time, depending on the set up, coil, wattage etc., 4 seconds is definitely not „tops“. :-)

Keep in mind that the temperature of the air passing through the tip is not the same as the temperature of the coil or the chamber, it will actually be much lower (hence we are able to even inhale). Although: I'm not sure what kind of cooling you have in mind, as it is now (with the lips sitting a few inches above the coil / heating element) it sure could get hot. Probably not too hot for PEI, but too hot for a human respiratory system.

Last edited:
Siebter,
Reactions: XpeeN

XpeeN

Actually e cigs can be hit in a wide range of time, depending on the set up, coil, wattage etc., 4 seconds is definitely not „tops“. :-)

Keep in mind that the temperature of the air passing through the tip is not the same as the temperature of the coil or the chamber, it will actually be much lower (hence we are able to even inhale). Although: I'm not sure what kind of cooling you have in mind, as it is now (with the lips sitting a few inches above the coil / heating element) it sure could get hot. Probably not too hot for PEI, but too hot for a human respiratory system.
Nah, I'm going to make my 14 mm j-hook fit inside the tip.
And yeah you're probably right, I'm a DL e-cig user for years and keep forgetting MTLs and stuff like that lol
It's gonna be my introduction vape to make friends familiar with vaping, so I guess it's gonna be fine.

XpeeN,
Reactions: Siebter
Top Bottom