Is my volcano digit repairable? Doesn't heat up unless i warm it over the stove first, getting worse.

ruint

A few months ago I noticed my 5yrold volcano digit start to fall from temp before the 30m timer cut off.
The red actual temp starts falling despite the green set temp and the heater light still being on. Cycling the power restarts the heater.

It then started to need warmimg up to 95f for the heater to engage, despite the control light glowing as normal.
The temp needed to engage the heater has risen slowly since, in 10f incriments.
I now have to sitt the vape upside down on an oven rack over an electric stovetop, and it now need warming to 205f, and to be caught before dropping below about 240f to re-engage the heater with a power-cycle if it drops out.
I have improvised a heat shield with a hole in the middle to expose only the top of the heat block, which seems to have prevented the vape overheating so far.
When the heater finally engages, it makes a series of scraping noises, like something is dragging while turning.

I worry that over 205f I will be risking damage to the electronics.

Is it worth buying tools to attempt cleaning/repair, or is the cash best saved for my next vape?

Gutted that the hybrid has moved to delicate capacitive buttons and a fragile bowl surround.
I hope for a volcano with buttons in the 'new range 'of s&b vapes due out this year*, otherwise I'll probably buy a classic.

*canopy growth earnings call: https://www.canopygrowth.com/invest...t-quarter-fiscal-year-2024-financial-results/
screncap: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/556207781406048266/1138955571463209059/image.png

[EDTED COMMENT]
Someone showed interest in the new s&b vapes so this is everything i've sleuthed:

From the Canopy Growth Q2 investor briefing:

Consumer products businesses delivered strong performance in Q1 FY2024 with BioSteel and Storz & Bickel delivering significant revenue growth; Storz & Bickel preparing to launch new vaporizer line in the fall of 2023

• BioSteel delivered fourth consecutive quarter of growth, with Q1 FY2024 net revenues increasing 137% year-over-year and 68% sequentially.
• Strong consumer demand has increased BioSteel’s market share of the convenience and gas channel in Canada to 11.3%, up 690 bps year-over-year, and increased market share in Ontario to 13.1%, representing a year-over-year increase of 620 bps8.
• Distribution gains in the United States has helped increase Storz & Bickel revenues 16% year-over-year to $18 million in Q1 FY2024.
• Innovative, new line of Storz & Bickel vaporizers being prepared and anticipated to launch in the fall of 2023 are expected to drive revenue growth.
They have a recent patent that covers various configurations of a 510 DRM oilpen, and what looks like a blue meanie jamjar convection plate stick vape designed to take special pressed flower coins that are held against the hot plate when the easy valve-like mouthpiece is pushed in, and ejected from a full circular section of the vape body that rolls out on a spiral guide.
I suspect the various vapes shown in the patent are factory mules built to describe one feature each from a single production vape range.
So possibly a 510 threaded DRM oil pen with on-wire temp control that -also- accepts coin-like pressed flower tablets, and can combine them to deliver an accurate, measured dose.
IE: you could get a100 dose 5mg/dose cart, and 20 5-dose flavour discs in various strains, and press whatever flavour disk in with the mouthpiece you want, wasting only cheap hemp if you just take all the terps in one hit.
Whole thing looks WILD.
Patent: https://worldwide.espacenet.com/pat...60/publication/US2021401061A1?q=US20210401061
Another exemplary embodiment of the invention described herein includes a tablet for use with a cartridge for vaporizing dry material. The tablet comprises dry material pressed into a shape comprising at least a first surface and a second surface positioned opposite the first surface. At least one recess is formed in at least one of the first surface and the second surface. The tablet may be used with any of the cartridges for vaporizing a payload comprising dry material described herein. The recesses preferably allow a greater surface area of the tablet to be in contact with heated air passing over and through the tablet to improve the vaporization of the tablet.
If you want to thank me, help with my vape :) :) :)

DrJynx86

Your issue is probably a cold solder joint, the easier way to fix it should be just resolder all the components, if you have access to a multimeter, the job will be a lot easier, just probe it until you find the broken connection and resolder that joint. Repeat until it works 100% of the times/no broken connections exist.

DrJynx86,
Reactions: LesPlenty

ruint

the original wording is present in the thread i linked, where the opening sentence makes sense in context.

Your issue is probably a cold solder joint, the easier way to fix it should be just resolder all the components, if you have access to a multimeter, the job will be a lot easier, just probe it until you find the broken connection and resolder that joint. Repeat until it works 100% of the times/no broken connections exist.
Thanks, but i dn't even have a torx security screwdriver, everything i need would be bought only for the repair.

DeadRabb1t

Company Rep
A few months ago I noticed my 5yrold volcano digit start to fall from temp before the 30m timer cut off.
The red actual temp starts falling despite the green set temp and the heater light still being on. Cycling the power restarts the heater.

It then started to need warmimg up to 95f for the heater to engage, despite the control light glowing as normal.
The temp needed to engage the heater has risen slowly since, in 10f incriments.
I now have to sitt the vape upside down on an oven rack over an electric stovetop, and it now need warming to 205f, and to be caught before dropping below about 240f to re-engage the heater with a power-cycle if it drops out.
I have improvised a heat shield with a hole in the middle to expose only the top of the heat block, which seems to have prevented the vape overheating so far.
When the heater finally engages, it makes a series of scraping noises, like something is dragging while turning.

I worry that over 205f I will be risking damage to the electronics.

Is it worth buying tools to attempt cleaning/repair, or is the cash best saved for my next vape?

Gutted that the hybrid has moved to delicate capacitive buttons and a fragile bowl surround.
I hope for a volcano with buttons in the 'new range 'of s&b vapes due out this year*, otherwise I'll probably buy a classic.

*canopy growth earnings call: https://www.canopygrowth.com/invest...t-quarter-fiscal-year-2024-financial-results/
screncap: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/556207781406048266/1138955571463209059/image.png
Who let you out of ukmedicalcannabis 😉😍

I don't know what I'm am more amazed by, your volcanos odd fault or your solution to it 😂

Sorry I can't offer any assistance on the repair side though

Nice to see you here mind 👍😊

badbee

Money spent on tools is never wasted, you have new tools! If only my wife would understand this....

Yeah, I have no idea if you can save it. The other poster mentioned a cold solder joint, I'm not sure about that as they usually show up early in the lifecycle rather than after years of usage. It's definitely something electrical on the board, whether it can be fixed, you can only try and find out.

Yes, heating the entire board to 205 F will prematurely age it, that is outside the safe range of many ICs.

DrJynx86

Tools are literally means of production, of course is worth it to get them, as long as you make use of them.

If you have to learn to use them, I say you got double the worth.

DrJynx86

Money spent on tools is never wasted, you have new tools! If only my wife would understand this....

Yeah, I have no idea if you can save it. The other poster mentioned a cold solder joint, I'm not sure about that as they usually show up early in the lifecycle rather than after years of usage. It's definitely something electrical on the board, whether it can be fixed, you can only try and find out.

Yes, heating the entire board to 205 F will prematurely age it, that is outside the safe range of many ICs.
I don't know specifics about your hardware, but watch a lot of tech fixing repair videos, both old tech and modern, and many times the cold solder joints are a sign of manufacturer choosing cheap solder, back then lead solder was the best but it's toxic so they change it to solder that melts at different temperatures or won't be as sturdy, and in the case of boards that are subject to heat they might end failing.

Heating the board and making it work is a sign of something expanding with heat and making new contact where it didn't when cold, it might not be the final issue but it's worth to start there.

Every other malfunction I can think off, would be the opposite, the board would works until it gets hot and then fails: old/broken caps, broken ICs, faulty power supply, etc...

Hippie

There's a couple of cleaning videos on YouTube that show how dirty they get inside, which surprised me.
Have a watch and see how you feel about opening it up for an iso wash
If it's a similar issue I'd say it's gotta be worth a go for the price of a set to screwdrivers and a bottle of iso.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Thanks, but i dn't even have a torx security screwdriver, everything i need would be bought only for the repair.

Worth having long term:

Product Description​

The Titan Tools 148-Piece Master Bit Set contains the following tools:

70pcs. - 25mm Bits:
• (12) Slot: 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.6, 7, 8mm
• (8) Phillips: #00, #0, #1, #2, #2, #2, #3, #4
• (8) Pozi: #00, #0, #1, #2, #2, #2, #3, #4
• (12) Hex: 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8mm
• (10) Hex: 1/16”, 5/64”, 3/32”, 7/64”, 1/8”, 9/64”, 5/32”, 3/16”, 7/32”, 1/4"
• (13) TORX: T5, T6, T7, T8, T9, T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30, T40, T45
• (3) Spline: M5, M6, M8
• (4) Robertson: 0, 1, 2, 3

49pcs. – 25 Security Bits:
• (3) Torq: 6, 8, 10
• (4) Spanner: 4, 6, 8, 10
• (4) Tri Wing: 1, 2, 3, 4
• (9) Tamper 5STAR: TX10, 15, 20, 25, 27, 30, 40, 45, 50
• (14) Tamper TORX: T5H, T6H, T7H, T8H, T9H, T10H, T15H, T20H, T25H, T27H, T30H, T35H, T40H, T45H
• (6) Tamper Hex: 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6
• (6) Tamper Hex: 5/64”, 3/32”, 7/64”, 1/8”, 9/64”, 5/32”
• (3) 25mm Clutch Bits: 1, 2, 3

13pcs. – 50mm Bits:
• (2) Pozi: #2, #3
• (3) Phillips: #1, #2, #3
• (7) TORX: T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30, T40
• (1) Robertson: 2

13pcs. – 75mm Bits:
• (5) Phillips: #1, #2, #2, #2, #3
• (5) Robertson: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3
• (2) Hex: 3/16”, 1/4"
• (1) Slot: 1/4"

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I have a similar kit from ifixit because I do a lot of electronics repair:

Sadly their sale just ended.

You probably have one of these already, but it is something I wish I bought long ago. Had to open a dual drive Gylph raid box, had lots of screws, the ratchet made the job so much easier. This is considered a top quality brand.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Top Bottom