Is a shower cap a shower cap?

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
While cutting my hair today, the lady at Supercuts told me that I shouldn't shampoo my hair every day; that it dries it out. This makes sense but I shower every morning and I shampoo my hair daily out of habit. I'm down with getting a shower cap but are there any that don't look absurd on men and that have a sort of volume dampening quality in the design so the water splashing on the plastic isn't near deafening with its rattle? Alternatively, what is the downside to not wearing a shower cap and washing my hair just with water a few times a week? Is it actually excessive to shampoo your hair every day?

I thank you for your time.

jeffp,

nr-cole

I shampoo every three or four days (until it gets excessively greasy/dirty), but I still prefer to soak my hair. Otherwise it stick all over the place and is generally unruly. Plus I'm one of those people who isn't "awake" until their head has been run under cold water for a bit. The day would not feel started without it.

nr-cole,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
jeffp said:
'm down with getting a shower cap but are there any that don't look absurd on men and that have a sort of volume dampening quality in the design so the water splashing on the plastic isn't near deafening with its rattle?
I thank you for your time.

It doesn't matter if you look absurd jeffp :) Unless you have a webcam in your shower. :)

I don;t know how you are with listening to music while showering, but there are waterproof earbuds out there. Can't vouch for the sound quality though (listen to monty python or the goon show or a fibber mcgee and molly).

As far as washing your hair every day; not a problem as long as it is a neutral pH shampoo with a non phosphate detergent.

I see what you mean about the potential for deafening volume. It almost makes me want to wear a football helmet into the shower to find out....almost.

Tom

tdavie,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
barber once told me Prell was so harsh it'd give a chemical perm

we get some girly-smelling stuff from a Japanese market, and my hair doesn't feel any different using it everyday as opposed to going a week between washes (which I've done recently being out of work).

VWFringe,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I have washed my hair every day my whole life. It is color treated and considered fine (as opposed to coarse). I make sure to use good shampoo and conditioner. If I don't wash my hair every day, I can't wake up and my head feels itchy. And the condition of my hair is great. IMO, unless you are experiencing very dry hair and scalp, washing every day is fine. And realize that it might not be the daily washing that is drying out your hair, but the shampoo you are using. Find something without sulfates in it; something low sudsing.

Although the visual I've got of you in the shower with a shower cap on like this is great! :p

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

momofthegoons,

george

Shampoo 1 to 2 times a week. Wash with just water almost every night. My hair is awesome.

It's all relative, if your work in mud everyday or work in a mine shaft then maybe shampooing daily is smart. :/

george,

Vapenstien's Monster

Too much soap can wash away the natural oils in your hair. Ringing with just water won't do anything bad other than help remove debris.

I only use a showercap in hotels to cover the smoke detector.

Vapenstien's Monster,

Purple-Days

Dudes, don't you love, rubbing your way through the margarines of life? BTW I have always worked (and played, and layed flat in a bed) in an environment that required washing your body every day...

I have a bad problem with sodium-para whatevers. Since switching to Yardley oatmeal soap, and Shikai body wash http://www.shikai.com/products/shower_gels_order.htm (as shampoo) several years ago I don't look back. I have nothing to do with these products other than as a satisfied user.

BTW, they have been peddling thissoft soap (at the hair dressers for years). :cool:

Purple-Days,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
The thing is, I am not into showercaps; I've owned a few, dollar store cheapies, they're basically just a drag. I thought perhaps a better quality one would provide a better experience but part of what's wanting IS the fact that my hair doesn't get wet and I never feel fully clean unless my hair gets wet in the shower. On the other hand my hair looks flat without shampoo or at least that's my perception.

As an aside last year I invested in a teak shower MAT and it is wonderful. It was $30 and worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XH2NAS/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

jeffp,

SD_haze

jeffp said:
The thing is, I am not into showercaps; I've owned a few, dollar store cheapies, they're basically just a drag. I thought perhaps a better quality one would provide a better experience but part of what's wanting IS the fact that my hair doesn't get wet and I never feel fully clean unless my hair gets wet in the shower. On the other hand my hair looks flat without shampoo or at least that's my perception.

As an aside last year I invested in a teak shower MAT and it is wonderful. It was $30 and worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XH2NAS/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

well you dont need a showercap and dont worry bout how your hair looks, little things like that go relatively unnoticed to everyone but you staring at it upclose in the mirror :p

SD_haze,

Sour Deez

If i dont wash my hair every day it will look like i bathed in oil or something. My hair is sooo greasy/oily. I hate it.

Sour Deez,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
SD_haze said:
well you dont need a showercap and dont worry bout how your hair looks, little things like that go relatively unnoticed to everyone but you staring at it upclose in the mirror :p

thanks - that was the information I was looking for....:p

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
I've been cutting my own hair for years-just buzzing it 1/4" long. It's too fine to mess with styling in any way, especially since I don't much care what it looks like anymore. But even I can't stand the way it looks if I don't wash it everyday (I'd have to cut it to stubble to avoid it), so if that Supercuts lady gave me the dries it out too much line, I'd tell her it's the lesser of two evils in my case.

I'd just let it get wet in the shower and dry it off, if keeping it dry is too much trouble. A lot of shampoos do have a bunch of chemicals in 'em, so if you want to shampoo safely and frequently, I'd use something with natural ingredients. I've used Avalon Organics in the past and liked it a lot. It's a very popular natural brand.

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
This is the most benign shampoo that I've used and it's really good - I was intrigued by the idea of a bar of shampoo because it seemed a little surreal and the reviews sold me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W2K51O/ref=wms_ohs_product_img_T2

Everyone's different, everyone's hair is different, and in my case my hair is thick and bushy and the Supercuts lady was correct. I haven't shampooed my hair in two days and because of this my hair is easy to brush, less dry and feels good. I have decided against buying a showercap because I like soaking my hair in the water.

Tom, I notice that Shikai makes a shampoo as well. Do you actually prefer their body wash as shampoo to their shampoo?

One side benefit to not shampooing every day is that a bottle of shampoo is going to last about 3x longer - sort of like the PD as I think about it - so I can afford to buy the better quality stuff; again this is analogous to the vaporizer. :lol:

jeffp,
I use dr bronners 18-in1 soap all the time for hair and body. I think my hair looks better than it did using conventional soaps and conditioners, not drained of its oils or whatever. Awesome stuff, simple and pure. My bro got me hooked on it and I like it so much I want to buy stock.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom