indigal

Amongst the corn
Hey all, I have a bottle of King universal butane triple refined a friend passed on to me. Anyone know if this is good to use in the Iolite? I've seen people go both ways on a quick search elsewhere.

Any thoughts?

indigal,

freeman dyson

I bought it from this seller. http://myworld.ebay.com/obay0080/

he said he bought a lot because he planned on opening a smoke shop but it never happened. the thing was new when I bought it.

To return for warranty repair, iolite says exactly this "You include your return address, email address, a copy of your receipt and a brief description of the fault in the package."

im not sure if my paypal receipt would qualify as the receipt they are looking for.

If not, I may be able to get a replacement from the ebay seller. His terms said no returns after 7 days, and it has been longer than that. But after asking around the ebay forums, I heard

"If you feel the item is significantly not as described you should file a claim for that. Expect to pay to return it with delivery confirmation before you receive a refund.

The item Significantly Not As Described Buyer Protection Policy trumps your seller's refund policy."

and

"File SNAD with PayPal. You have 45 days from the day you paid.

The manufacturer most likely will NOT honor the warranty because your eBay seller isn't an approved dealer.

Many don't realize this when they buy on eBay but most warranties are void here because the products are being resold and eBay buyers aren't the original purchasers. There are some authorized dealers here but most sellers aren't.

Does not matter what the seller's terms for return say, PayPal will make them refund you if you file SNAD and win."

freeman dyson,

MDBudz

freeman dyson said:
thanks. it seemed to work fine for the first few days. no sputtering and the gas was always ready to ignite.

my problem with the warranty is this. they say they want a receipt. I bought it new off of Ebay though. All I have is a paypal receipt. I heard you have to buy it from an authorized dealer to get a warranty. anybody know if this is true?
I also bought mine new off ebay. When I sent my unit in for warrantee repairs, they accepted my paypal receipt as the proof of purchase with no problems.

MDBudz,

freeman dyson

MDBudz said:
freeman dyson said:
thanks. it seemed to work fine for the first few days. no sputtering and the gas was always ready to ignite.

my problem with the warranty is this. they say they want a receipt. I bought it new off of Ebay though. All I have is a paypal receipt. I heard you have to buy it from an authorized dealer to get a warranty. anybody know if this is true?
I also bought mine new off ebay. When I sent my unit in for warrantee repairs, they accepted my paypal receipt as the proof of purchase with no problems.
Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I wanted to know. Did you buy it from someone like vapeworld who just happened to sell it online? or was it just some normal seller?

freeman dyson,

MDBudz

freeman dyson said:
MDBudz said:
freeman dyson said:

Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I wanted to know. Did you buy it from someone like vapeworld who just happened to sell it online? or was it just some normal seller?
purchased from http://myworld.ebay.com/mazymush/

MDBudz,

golfingflyfisher

I am sure this has probably come up in this 76 page thread lol but I am having a hard time finding it... has anyone experienced throat irritation with this vaporizer. My throat gets sore and hurts the more I use it. I use the extended mouthpiece with another 6 inches of tubing and it still messes with me. Is the irritation caused by the heat of the vapor and if so are there other ways of preventing this? If anyone can point me to the pages that include info on this it would be much appreciated. Other than that I really love this vaporizer.

golfingflyfisher,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
golfing...is this your first vape? If so, you will most likely get used to it and it will go away. I found that any short path vaporizer will get my throat sore in the beginning until I get used to it.

stickstones,

BUZZHEAD

JEFF
why is my iolite hard to ignite? even when using the best butane? turn it on and have to wait till it sputters before lighting, this wastes alot of butane. seems to have too little pressure when 1st. turning it on. ???? has anyone had this problem lighting?

BUZZHEAD,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Have you vented well.... Vent upside down, turn right side up, then upside down again and vent again. This can take a few trys. I have also noted that I have more sputtering issues when I get to the end of the can of butane even with higher quality stuff.

Lo,

golfingflyfisher

Thanks Sticks and lo. Yes this is the first vape i've tried to use exclusively instead of smoking... I have also been experimenting with mouth bonging which I read about somewhere on this thread and that seems to help too and really isn't very hard to do. Just fill my mouth with some ice water and vape slowly with my lips pursed so the water doesn't come out and it really seems to help.

golfingflyfisher,

golfingflyfisher

Also I read somewhere on this thread that it is not a good idea to hit the iolite while it is hissing/heating up in order to avoid inhaling the byproducts of the butane heating process... is there any truth to that or does it make any difference?

golfingflyfisher,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
From what I've read of the Iolite, the exhaust and inhalation pathways are separate. Assuming this is true, drawing on it while it is hissing would not cause a problem, but because drawing lowers the temperature, drawing while it is heating up might (I stress might) cause it to take slightly longer to finish heating up.

I've had it for 15 days now, have used it on 14 of those days and wait for it to heat up 3 times and get some tasty vapors. Never drawn on it while heating up....yet.

Tom

tdavie,

freeman dyson

BUZZHEAD said:
why is my iolite hard to ignite? even when using the best butane? turn it on and have to wait till it sputters before lighting, this wastes alot of butane. seems to have too little pressure when 1st. turning it on. ???? has anyone had this problem lighting?
join the club. i am sending mine to get repaired.

freeman dyson,

Lo

So my sister finally tries her Io and calls me.... I NEED A STAND!! She's seen me park mine in my paper clip stand and wants to know how to make... Umm, hello I bent a large paper clip :D

It does come in handy since I move around A LOT!! Does anyone have a nicer 'stand' for their Io?? If so please share and I can make a new one LOL!! I sent her photos so she could make hers and thought I'd share.

Lo,

niall

golfingflyfisher said:
Also I read somewhere on this thread that it is not a good idea to hit the iolite while it is hissing/heating up in order to avoid inhaling the byproducts of the butane heating process... is there any truth to that or does it make any difference?
tdavie said:
From what I've read of the Iolite, the exhaust and inhalation pathways are separate. Assuming this is true, drawing on it while it is hissing would not cause a problem
The pathways are separate, but they're not very far from each other. The intake draws from around the bowl and (looks like) primarily through a gap on the top of the unit where the bowl meets the housing.

If your unit is firing in an enclosed space, then it's reasonable to assume you'll be inhaling some of the exhaust through into the intake. I'd just err on the side of caution and try to ensure you are giving the iolite enough room to "breathe" so the exhaust dissipates before you start inhaling. Just carrying it in your hand, and raising it from hip height to your mouth would be more than enough to ensure a fresh intake, assuming it has stopped heating up.

Some guys reported bad taste, and I can definitely smell the exhaust when it's firing, so to each his own - but I never inhale while it's firing.

niall,

niall

lo said:
So my sister finally tries her Io and calls me.... I NEED A STAND!! She's seen me park mine in my paper clip stand and wants to know how to make... Umm, hello I bent a large paper clip :D

It does come in handy since I move around A LOT!! Does anyone have a nicer 'stand' for their Io?? If so please share and I can make a new one LOL!! I sent her photos so she could make hers and thought I'd share.
Honestly curious here - what is the stand for, what purpose does it serve?

I just leave mine sitting on its side on the table when it's heating up, it's pretty minimal heat so unless you've got laminated tables or some other surface that's really susceptible to heat damage I don't think this is necessary?

niall,

Lo

Thanks Niall, I never thought about not needing one... I used to lay it down on it's side but on some of my polyeurathane (?sp) coated wood surfaces the Io seems to stick a little or rather I felt tack when I'd pick it up. I thought it might not be a good idea on the eurathane but I guess maybe it's just cuz I'm OCD, I don't know LOL!! Oh and my husband finished almost all of the wood furniture so I guess I'm just being uber-careful since he worked so hard on it for me!!

Oh and I never hit it while it's hissing either, just in case.

Lo,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
golfingflyfisher wrote: Also I read somewhere on this thread that it is not a good idea to hit the iolite while it is hissing/heating up in order to avoid inhaling the byproducts of the butane heating process... is there any truth to that or does it make any difference?
tdavie wrote: From what I've read of the Iolite, the exhaust and inhalation pathways are separate. Assuming this is true, drawing on it while it is hissing would not cause a problem
AFAIK, there is really no harmful exhaust (water and carbon dioxide) once the catalytic converter kicks in (unless there is not enough oxygen or something like that). Thoughts? :shrug:

In addition to that, as long as the fins/exhaust port are/is facing downwards, any butane/exhaust would sink away from the intake. Thoughts? :shrug:

I would be most concerned (although still not really concerned at all) when using it upside down in the down-stem of a water-pipe, or inside something without enough ventilation, possibly at high altitude, etc..
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=47260#p47260
Cool idea with the paperclip Iolite stand (may not be necessary for many, but readily available, cheap, and functional for those that do) :tup:

Hope this helps...

Edit: In the past...
Iolite wrote: The main by-product of burning the gas would be water vapour. The balanced formula for the complete combustion of butane gas is 2C4H10 + 13O2 -> 8CO2 + 10H2O. Any butane operated product that has the correct air/gas mixture will achieve this. The exhaust ports direct the exhaust gasses (water vapour) away from the user. The combustion chamber is totally separated from the herb chamber and the device is internally sealed so there is no possibility of contamination.
If you used the search feature to search for the word exhaust you would have had 4 pages to read through (some not even being from the Iolite thread), and would see that this topic has been discussed in detail. Any new questions or thoughts? :shrug:

PS: Sorry for the rant, but the Iolite people are good people (IMO) and seem to have diminished their presence on this site over time. I can't help but think that they (at least in part) felt bombarded by questions and accusations of posters (many of which had already been covered in the past). I feel that it is important to recognize that there is additional work and liability for a representative who posts information about their product on a public forum, and to take efforts to make them feel comfortable/safe contributing to discussions of their products. Their presence here (as long as they are mandated to post as a rep of the company and, therefore, ensure integrity and honesty in all of their posts) is very valuable to those interested in the products they make (IMO).

Toke it easy. :cool:

Progress,

Shazbuckle

Hey guys,

I've been using my iolite for about half a year now. I have "cleaned" it a few times with iso and it never seems to work. All it does is unclog the screens. The bowl and the heating chamber have turned this weird brown colour. Almost like they are rusting or something?

I've been using Q-tips dipped in iso but to no avail. I haven't tried scraping it off much, i tried to get a bit off the heat pin with a paper clip but it scratched it a bit. If it is rust how could this have happened? The ISO? Anything I can do to leave it as clean as it once was? I've uploaded some pics anyway. Sorry for the quality my phone's camera sucks

dsc00014wg.jpg

dsc00015nl.jpg

dsc00016mz.jpg

Shazbuckle,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I wonder if you could stand the unit upright and put just enough iso in it to let it soak for a couple hours. I don't think there is anything in there that would get hurt, but I'm not sure.

Or maybe turning the unit on while empty would loosen up some of the gunk for easier cleaning?

stickstones,

Lo

I've found I can clean it best if it is warmed up.... Iso and q-tips have worked for me but I imagine if it wasn't cleaned very often that stuff would be hard to clean up.

Oh I also found the q-tip doesn't work as well 'as is' but if I rip off a hunk of the cotton it seems to give me better cleaning leverage :2c:

It seems everyone who tries my Io wants one... I even have some friends that don't use MJ try mine and now they want one too!! LMAO! Vaping is contagious :D

Lo,
Top Bottom