Lo

Combustion free since '09
Everclear or Iso for me...

Put in jar shake up,soak, shake, rinse, dry. I take the retaining ring, screen, bowl all apart for most effective cleaning. I'll let metal bits soak awhile but am leary of soaking the plastic mouthpieces for very long.

Oh and a CLEAN Iolite works REALLY well. If you notice your not getting the puffy clouds you were, might give it a cleaning.

I have a 2nd Iolite for backup but you can also buy just a backup bowl if you want to be able to leave one soaking for a bit.

Lo,

Lo

I prefer the Everclear now myself as it makes a nice tincture after a few uses and a straining :D :D :D

Lo,

freeman dyson

I have never really gotten puffy clouds. I am getting pretty high but not REALLY high. Though I am coughing. My grinder is in the mail so as of now I am using scissors to grind. Which doesnt make the herb very fine. I'm hoping grinded herb will get me bigger hits.

freeman dyson,

aero18

vaporist
freeman dyson said:
I have never really gotten puffy clouds. I am getting pretty high but not REALLY high. Though I am coughing. My grinder is in the mail so as of now I am using scissors to grind. Which doesnt make the herb very fine. I'm hoping grinded herb will get me bigger hits.
You can make the cuttings more fine than what a grinder could give you.

aero18,

freeman dyson

aero18 said:
freeman dyson said:
You can make the cuttings more fine than what a grinder could give you.
well possibly...but I am a lazy pothead with ADD and don't take the time to make it that fine.

freeman dyson,

freeman dyson

lo said:
Everclear or Iso for me...

Put in jar shake up,soak, shake, rinse, dry. I take the retaining ring, screen, bowl all apart for most effective cleaning. I'll let metal bits soak awhile but am leary of soaking the plastic mouthpieces for very long.

Oh and a CLEAN Iolite works REALLY well. If you notice your not getting the puffy clouds you were, might give it a cleaning.

I have a 2nd Iolite for backup but you can also buy just a backup bowl if you want to be able to leave one soaking for a bit.
The top plastic bowl chamber that comes off can be taken apart? Is there a way to clean it while its still part of the plastic?

freeman dyson,

Lo

Okay not sure I understand you but the when the mouthpiece is unscrewed and removed the whole bowl can be taken out of the plastic housing. Then you can soak the bowl pieces. The plastic part that holds the bowl doesn't get gunked up.

Keep bowl clean for best performance I've found to be true :D Good luck!!

Lo,

freeman dyson

Ya, I meant can you just throw the herb chamber in alcohol, plastic and all? not the mouth piece, but the herb chamber is covered by plastic too. it wont hurt the plastic or anything else? is it hard to take just the screen out and back in after cleaning?

freeman dyson,

niall

freeman: I wouldn't put plastic in alcohol, remove the stainless bowl for cleaning. Easy to remove just give it a twist and/or pull once you've removed the mouthpiece stem. You can also remove the screen widget from inside the bowl if that's very gunked up or just soak as one unit if it's not too bad.

niall,

freeman dyson

thanks. i am soaking it iso alcohol now. i didnt know the metal part unscrewed. my iolite also does a lot of sputtering. I thought i was venting it properly.

freeman dyson,

freeman dyson

It sputters everytime I use it. Usually when I start it it starts off really low and the ignitier wont work, I have to wait for the gas to get going and loud. then it usually functions normal for the rest of the session. how do i know i am venting it properly? how do you guys do it? i put the tool in there and move it side to side. are you just supposed to push straight down instead?

freeman dyson,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I tend too pulse mine after it sounds like it isn't venting anymore. Opening and closing the valve. you will actually hear even more gas vent if you do this. either that or Vent it, let it sit a minute, then Vent it again. Same thing as pulsing it, but longer rest intervals.

DevoTheStrange,

freeman dyson

what is pulsing exactly? if i push just straight down, nothing comes out. if i push down and in a direction a little does.

freeman dyson,

Ramblin'

Hi, I posted about a month ago about how my Iolite just wasn't working as well as it used to. Well I hadn't used it in a while for that reason and then I decided to use it with a friend. The first bowl took forever to light, but then later when we tried to smoke another one it was not working at all. I purged and refilled it and it is definitely dead. I can't call internationally, but what is the best way to contact the company to send it in?
Thanks,
G

Ramblin',

Lo

Hey Freeman... To vent you are turning it upside down, pushing on the fill up valve with the small end of the tool that came with. You are pressing it all the way down and holding until you hear NO hissing. You are pressing the button a few times like this to be SURE no air is trapped.

You are only using HIGH QUALITY, REFINED butane such as Colibri, Vector, ect. No Ronson if in USA. When filling you can also pulse, fill, stop, fill some more.

If any of the above is not correct that could be an issue. Good luck!!

Ramblin' - You need to email them directly from their website or you can also click the email link from the mfgrs posts in this thread. You might receive an out of the office auto-reply as I did...

Also might read the website support section since you might need to send in for repairs. Good luck with it!

Lo,

freeman dyson

thanks lo. ive only used good butane in it. colibri and then vector. I usually vent it right side up. I will try upside down.

freeman dyson,

Lo

Okay you can wait for the science experts to come along but butane is heavier than air I believe and you should turn it upside down to vent properly. Hope that makes it stop sputtering. Mine does sputter here and there but not routinely.

Good luck!!

Lo,

freeman dyson

ok, this is what happens.

when I turn the gas on it starts off very quiet. During this time I often cant ignite it. Then after about 30 seconds it starts to sputter and get louder. then i can ignite it. then it runs normall after about 2 minutes and stays normal for the rest of the session. is this supposed to happen? i thought you were supposed to ignite immediately after turning on the gas but I usually cant.

freeman dyson,

ChuckRock

Its sounds like you have an Air Bubble.
This happens to mines too.
When its like that it never lights first time.
I have to wait till it splutters then its lights.

I found venting it, then leaving it empty and going back 5 mins later to vent again and make sure all air is removed.(REALLY MAKE SURE)

Then try refilling it.
I Found colibri butane to be ok.
The best stuff i found was called NEWPORT.
I get first time lights with this butane and its intended for gas powered tools.

After filling remember and leave it for at least 5 minutes so it settles.

Ive also found shaking the butane can before you fill to warm up the butane flows seems to help too.

ChuckRock,

freeman dyson

thanks, chuck. ill try all that. the first fill was colibri. which was about five days ago. since I have filled it with vector.

freeman dyson,

MDBudz

freeman dyson said:

when I turn the gas on it starts off very quiet. During this time I often cant ignite it. Then after about 30 seconds it starts to sputter and get louder. then i can ignite it. then it runs normall after about 2 minutes and stays normal for the rest of the session. is this supposed to happen? i thought you were supposed to ignite immediately after turning on the gas but I usually cant.
Mine does this exact thing also. I have tried venting and refilling but the problem continues. I only use Vector butane. I have to wait until I hear a good spurt of gas and time my press of the ignition button to that spurt. Sometimes I also have to tap the side of the unit to get more gas to flow high enough so that I can get it started. After it ignites it will take several minutes to operate normally...lots of sputters/spits and very faint glow of orange. However, after the first full cycle and the thermostat shuts off the gas, it will then run perfectly throughout the remainder of the session.

MDBudz,

freeman dyson

MDBudz said:
freeman dyson said:

Mine does this exact thing also. I have tried venting and refilling but the problem continues. I only use Vector butane. I have to wait until I hear a good spurt of gas and time my press of the ignition button to that spurt. Sometimes I also have to tap the side of the unit to get more gas to flow high enough so that I can get it started. After it ignites it will take several minutes to operate normally...lots of sputters/spits and very faint glow of orange. However, after the first full cycle and the thermostat shuts off the gas, it will then run perfectly throughout the remainder of the session.
I've tried everything. How long have you had yours? I just got mine a week ago.

freeman dyson,

Lo

Well I received a reply today from manufacturer stating my SS mouthpieces have shipped :) Yeah!!

I would think maybe shooting an email to mfgr to see what other suggestions for your problem units... Maybe they have some other self-help techniques... If not you could make arrangements to send them in. I hope it doesn't come to that but... Nice to know they do carry a good warranty.

Good luck!! Can't wait to see my SS mouthpieces!!

Lo,
Top Bottom