• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Investing in Cannabis Related Stocks

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Doesn't look like CARA is on Plus500. Also because I don't have a US bank account I can't fund a 'TD Ameritrade' account.

I'll have a look this weekend and see what my options are.

Thanks for the advice bud.

GreenHopper,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Oh, I see. That's unfortunate. Do any of the others listed on the first post show up (in particular those on NASDAQ exchange)?

Not on the Plus500 trading system I've previously used.

But it's cool, where there is a will there's a way ;)

I'll investigate further over the weekend.

GreenHopper,

TwistedGray

But it's cool, where there is a will there's a way ;)

You could always send money to an American to set up an account in their name that you fund through whatever means; however, that person is going to be on the hook for any capital gains. BUT that's one way around it...

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
You could always send money to an American to set up an account in their name that you fund through whatever means; however, that person is going to be on the hook for any capital gains. BUT that's one way around it...

That is certainly one option, the reality is its got to be easy to work with otherwise it's not going to be worth the effort.

GreenHopper,

TwistedGray

@GreenHopper, if you can manage the tax implications once the account is set-up it's hands off because you could just fund it via a PayPal account. You'd establish one account from your UK bank and a separate account from your US bank (in someone else's name). Then you can move money around as much or little as you want.

The biggest complications, I can see, to that set-up would be:
  • tax implications for the US person
  • trust (US trusts you to not overdraw and you trust US to not just take the money and run)

TwistedGray,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
From the conversations I've had in the past, one really has to have a plan on investing in stocks.

If I could just use the platform I'm already signed up to then sure I'd play with some of the options listed in this thread.

However when it comes down to finding work arounds and involving other account proxies I'm just not sure it has the same allure.

What I want is to generate a passive income over the next 20 years so that I have something coming in that isn't based on labour or time.

I've already begun that process by buying a house that will be fully paid off by the time I hit retirement age. In addition to that I'll be saving up a fund over the next 20 years to be used to build a second property which I'll hopefully be able to move into.

Property one will become a source of passive income through rent. This is going to be my main source of income besides pension when I'm retired.

The savings for property two will be what I'll want to leverage as they grow over the next 20 years to generate additional income through investment. This will hopefully give me a bit more to play with when it comes time to build.

The first step is safe high return savings accounts accounts. ISA's used to be worth is but that changed with the onboarding of personal savings allowance (PSA). Currently for me that £20,000 max @ 1.5% and provides me with liquid state capitol that's earning interest.

The second step is to pay up to the yearly maximum allowed in overpayments on my mortgage. This saves money in interest owed and reduces my risk over time.

The third step will be low yield low risk investments like premium bonds. Assuming interest rates don't go up then it's a safe bet that premium bonds will yield a greater return than a savings account (one thats maxed out anyway) and is no more risky. Up £50,000 with about a 1.15% interest rate plus the additional possibilities of winning cash prizes.

Once I'm beyond £80,000 in savings I'll be looking for more involving investment opportunities like stock portfolios.

One of the things I'm willing to do before I hit the £80,000 limit is to have a play with small stock options more to get on a trading platform that works for me and to gain experience in managing such an account. Thats why I'm happy to throw £1000 at stocks like CARA, CBIS, CNBX, it's not so much about making a quick buck but more about gaining experience on a platform.

Thats why I'm a little loathed to setup a foreign account or proxy, if it was a choice between playing with Cannabis related stocks via a proxy or playing with Tech stocks on an easy to access local platform I'd be choosing the latter.

I am interested in the cannabis industry stock listings and I do feel it's an emerging market (not just in America). It also helps when one is investing to have an interest in the industries and therefore the stocks one is investing in, but I'm not going to rush into anything as there is a longer term plan in mind ;)

Of course everything could change in an instant:
  • Health issues could affect earning/saving potential
  • Political decisions like Brexit can change the opportunities
  • Market fluctuations and interest rates will likely affect the different points at which investments become worth it
The plan has to flex with the flow so to speak but the most important factor is saving money and reducing outgoings (VAS is not helping here).

Like I say, I'll have a look at UK local trading platforms that are available and see if one carries the options stated in this thread (plus others I've had my eye on).

That's basically where my head is at.

GreenHopper,

TwistedGray

My portfolio is cannabis free for a week or so while the market adjusts to the Federal bullshit going down.

For my personal memory, I sold these at those prices:
CBIS $0.10855
CARA $14.50
CNBX $3.45

TwistedGray,

TwistedGray

Man did I make the right move yesterday! In hindsight I should've dumped my CNBX stock a few days earlier though, whatever.

Reporting in, this morning at 11:11am EST
CBIS: $0.0955
CARA $14.86 (oddly this one is doing well)
CNBX $2.53

TwistedGray,

TwistedGray

Genius! I dumped the CNBX and rebought, already up a few tens of dollars...would be more if my money wasn't tied up in the sale/rebuy. Guess it takes a whole 24hr period for the funds to settle (poop).

TwistedGray,

virtualpurple

De @TwistedGray i would like to start looking at investing myself. I see you making some suggestions to someone outside the us. I'm in the us but have never invested...is there a central hub where I would look to get started?

virtualpurple,

TwistedGray

Last few days I've been making about $20 a day on the CNBX stock. Buy it for $3.## and sell for $4.## almost daily...in some cases more than once a day.

Overall though, my portfolio is down. I banked on Tesla having a good ride, but they've been tanking since their last earnings release.

Unrelated, I bought some BBY stock in advance of tomorrow's earnings report; hopefully that wasn't a mirror of what's happening to Tesla. If so, I give up on "regular" companies, ha.

TwistedGray,

Nooky72

Dog Marley
I am quite heavily into GWPH and have been for a while now, stock was delisted from the UK AIM with converted ADRs now on NASDAQ. At $120-$130 per share, there is a lot of growth potential already factored into the price but when you read their updates and reports it seems like their diverse drug pipeline could well realise the billion dollar potential view held by the analysts.

The performance of their new drug for dravet syndrome seems quite remarkable, when considered versus the overpriced big pharma alternatives currently pumped into child sufferers with horrendous side effects. They also have a potential new cure for brain cancer.

In it for the long term so I can hopefully retire on the profits if / when they emerge. I also believe that the healing properties of marijuana can be synthesised for health purposes and GW Pharmaceuticals are certainly trying to do that in my view.
That is another important aspect for investing - belief / faith in the company itself!:tup:

Wahiker

Has anyone looked into investing in Canadian cannabis stocks? It would seem that if Canada truly legalizes nationwide, then that eliminates a lot of the uncertainty connected with investing in U.S. cannabis stocks. Anyone know if this could still be construed as "money laundering" if the investments were solely for Canadian companies?

Wahiker,

TwistedGray

Thanks for sharing! I'm down a bit as the recent decline hasn't moved much in the last week or so.

TwistedGray,

overvaped

Vapor evangelist
Hi everybody,
I've watching some of the companies mentioned in the thread and it's been a bad week for the sector. CARA has been very active...

I found two more companies.

I have GWPH, CARA and INSY under close scrutiny, let's see how they behave this week.

Top Bottom