Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

florduh

A while ago, I posted a few articles about Steven Donziger, the lawyer who won a massive settlement against Chevron for poisoning thousands of people in Ecuador. Chevron launched a horrific counterattack against Steven. They were able to get him locked up for the past 993 days, both house arrest and actual prison. All for the "crime" of trying to hold one of these monstrous oil companies responsible for their actions. This article discusses the entire saga:

Posting about it today, because after damn near 1,000 days of confinement, Steven is finally about to be released!

Summer

Long Island, NY
Last edited:

ugotmale

I've heard that dissolving a special district requires a vote from the residents of that district. I've also heard that it doesn't matter because Disney never had their little "city council" vote to approve that stipulation back in the 60's. In either case, I'd think the legislature can repeal, change, or pass any law they'd like.

The dissolution of Disney's special district wouldn't go into effect until next summer. So there's still time for lawsuits. I live in one of the affected counties. This decision will cause a massive, possibly bankrupting, budget shortfall. Legally, the county can't pass along those costs to Disney. So they'll be forced to raise property taxes on residents, possibly by as much as 20-25%.

My taxes could go up 25% so a multinational corporation can get a $163 million per year tax break. Raising taxes on Floridians and feuding with the biggest employer in the State pretty conclusively tells me that Ronnie isn't interested in re-election. He's going for the White House.

Disney tells investors state can’t dissolve special district without paying debt​

As Florida legislators were rushing through passage of a bill to repeal the special district that governs Walt Disney World last week, they failed to notice an obscure provision in state law that says the state could not do what legislators were doing — unless the district’s bond debt was paid off. Disney, however, noticed and quietly sent a note to its investors to show that it was confident the Legislature’s attempt to dissolve the special taxing district operating the 39-square mile parcel it owned in two counties violated the “pledge” the state made when it enacted the district in 1967, and therefore was not legal. The result, Disney told its investors, is that it would continue to go about business as usual.

The statement, posted on the website of the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board on April 21 by the Reedy Creek Improvement District, is the only public statement Disney has supplied since lawmakers unleashed their fury over the company’s vocal opposition to the “Parental Rights in Education” law, also known as the “don’t say gay” bill.

The statement, first reported by WESH 2, quotes the statute which says, in part, that the “State of Florida pledges...it will not limit or alter the rights of the District...until all such bonds together with interest thereon...are fully met and discharged.”

Last edited:

florduh

Yeah, if I was an attorney, this whole Donziger saga would be absolutely terrifying to me. He was locked up for refusing to turn over his laptop, not to Federal Prosecutors (the Government refused to prosecute), but to a private Chevron law firm. The laptop contained tons of information on his Ecuadorian clients.

What do you think Chevron would do to people in a poor country they owe 9 billion dollars to if they knew exactly where to find them? Much cheaper to pay goons to harass them or worse. Poor people who might have cancer, or children with cancer or birth defects. Because Chevron poisoned them.

Steven tried to appeal to the court. Let's have a truly neutral third party look at the laptop and determine the relevant information. The Chevron Lackey Judge refused and locked him up for nearly 1,000 days. This is something that has never happened to an attorney in America before.

One definition of fascism is "the merger of state and corporate power". That's basically what happened here. And it's not just the judicial system. Every (or almost every) politician left Steven high and dry as he became the first corporate political prisoner in American history. Doubt he'll be the last.

Disney tells investors state can’t dissolve special district without paying debt​

This sets my mind at ease a little. But our legislature could just pass an amendment requiring Disney to pay down the billion before the transfer. I could be wrong, but even besides the debt, Orange and Osceola counties will almost certainly still need to raise taxes on homeowners to cover what Disney used to pay for.

“Disney has more power now to determine its tax bill than it did a week ago,’’ he said. “That’s what’s crazy to me. They want to punish Disney, but this is the furthest thing from that. You literally put them in the driver’s seat of how much they want to pay.”

Yeah that's the insane thing. This is almost the perfect political move for Desantis. Look like you're going after a corporation your base hates, while actually giving them a tax cut.

florduh

vapviking

Old & In the Way
This might be the most cursed headline I've ever read.

US egg factory roasts alive 5.3m chickens in avian flu cull – then fires almost every worker​

A "factory" of sentient beings seems an unfortunate development in the first place.
Imo the chickens are the 'winners' here, liberated from caged insanity.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I don't think I have ever tasted Paw Paw unless it was an ingredient in something else I was eating. I think I will try to find it this summer...

cybrguy,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I don't think I have ever tasted Paw Paw unless it was an ingredient in something else I was eating. I think I will try to find it this summer...
Me either, but the guys on Moonshiners used some a couple of years ago, I knew they were on to something there.

vapviking,

florduh

The CEO of OpenAI, Sam Altman, made a pretty stunning prediction.

Unlimited intelligence and unlimited energy...by 2030? Normally, I'd say grand predictions by tech CEO's are just bullshit designed to defraud investors. But my man here is literally talking about global capitalism being dealt a fatal blow this decade. Not exactly investor friendly talk.

This is both terrifying and exciting. If the advent of Artificial General Intelligence breaks our way, we could live in a Star Trek utopia. If it doesn't break our way... well. We either all die in the Skynet Wars, or we have an Elysium situation, where the rich and powerful live in a miracle world, while the rest of us are cordoned off into refugee camps.

I thought/hoped that inflection point was decades away. Not within the next few years.

Just to show OpenAI's bonafides, in the last few months they've stopped "Graphic Designer" from being a viable career path for kids.

florduh

Jesus Fucking Christ is that bleak.

Glancing through that Twitter account though, they seem to have totally missed the point. Every one of those local news bots is employed by a bunch of Right Wingers called The Sinclair Group.

That conspiracy Twitter account posts shit tons of libertarian memes. So what's their fuckin problem with that video? The Magical Free Market has selected the Sinclair Family for success. Now they get to buy every local news station in the country. Now they get to convince scared suburbanites they're on the same side as the billionaire class every night. This is the exact world libertarians want to live in. So what's the problem here exactly?

florduh

FR4ryP8XwAIwWm3

Wild. The xenomorph isn't even the creepiest.

Top Bottom