Interesting News, Articles & Stuff

kel

FuckMisogynists!
We're all fucking doomed if the US, China, and India don't tow the line! I think the US might, eventually, but it's going to take some time to pursaude those fast expanding economies. 😞

Whenever this comes up I always think that it's quite something for a 'developed' country to tell other 'under-developed' countries that they can't develop any more like 'we did' because... the environment! Even if it is true!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I like to think I was born in the perfect timeline. After many civilization advancements, but hopefully before climate change fucks everything up too much.

I dunno. We are old enough to have been born in the fuck-around century, but young enough to have to live in the find-out century.

We're doomed. Might as well be ready for it.

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
Fucking around too much seems to what have gotten us into this. Their is a theory that civilizations become so advance they destroy themselves. The great filter I believe it's called, which hypothesizes why we can't find intelligent life on other planets, they all destroy themselves when reaching a certain technological point. (not exclusively this, but including this)

Last edited:

florduh

Last year I read a near future sci-fi book by Kim Stanley Robinson called "The Ministry for the Future". It offered a mostly positive vision of how humanity can get over the climate change hump and come out stronger on the other side of it. The book begins with a heat wave in India that kills something like 20 million people in 48 hours. This mobilizes the global community to start taking climate change seriously. Having lived through the past year, I'm a bit skeptical if that would be the global response to a mass death event. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The book introduced me to the concept of "wet bulb heat". Basically after a certain level of heat and humidity, sweat can no longer cool the human body. So you sort of boil to death from the inside. Living in Floriduh, this is pretty terrifying. Not really sure how a tourist State is going to work when it's too dangerous to be outside during the day for half the year. And that situation is coming to a Sunshine State near you, much sooner than expected.

Dangerous humid heat extremes occurring decades before expected

Oppressively hot summer days often evoke the expression, “it’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.” That sticky, tropical-like air combined with high temperatures is more than unpleasant — it makes extreme heat a greater health risk.

Climate models project that combinations of heat and humidity could reach deadly thresholds for anyone spending several hours outdoors by the end of the 21st century. However, new research says these extremes are already happening — decades before anticipated — due to global warming to date.

The study, “The emergence of heat and humidity too severe for human tolerance,” published today in Science Advances shows for the first time that some locations have already reported combined heat and humidity extremes above humans’ survivability limit. Dangerous extremes only a few degrees below this limit have occurred thousands of times globally — including in parts of the southwestern and southeastern United States — and have more than doubled in frequency since 1979.

kel

FuckMisogynists!

A paint so white that they claim "a surface coated with this paint is cooled below the surrounding temperature without consuming power."

Technology can be so intriguing sometimes. Could just be a lot of smoke though, who knows.

Amazing!!! but I can see it now...

Pilot blinded by hyper-reflective paint crashes into environmentally friendly home causing ecological disaster!

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device

scy123

Yea, I was kinda looking into it and most people say that, and that the chemicals used is not really that durable.

The fact that something can be so white it's cooled below surrounding temp is interesting though.

scy123,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
get

kel

FuckMisogynists!
yep... and Blair!

I read the 'white paper' they published proving the existence of wmd and it was a massive pile of steaming utterly worthless crap - 100% smoke and mirrors! Not one iota of evidence that I could see, just some blurry aerial photos and a lot of words saying what these photos were but no meaningful correlation between the words and the pictures.

kel,
  • Love
Reactions: florduh

florduh

yep... and Blair!

When the US finally pulled out of Afghanistan a few weeks ago, I quietly seethed as every stateside early 2000's neocon ghoul cried about how 20 years of blood just wasn't enough. But then, when my girlfriend and I were driving, there was a quick news hit on the radio with Tony Blair calling the withdrawal "shameful". For some reason, that's the one that set me off. I immediately yelled "Oh GOOOD!!! I was really wondering what Lord McFuckface had to say on the matter!!! FUCK!!!!!!"

My gf thought I was a psycho. I'm becoming my dad, shouting at the radio. Just with polar opposite politics.

I read the 'white paper' they published proving the existence of wmd and it was a massive pile of steaming utterly worthless crap - 100% smoke and mirrors! Not one iota of evidence that I could see, just some blurry aerial photos and a lot of words saying what these photos were but no meaningful correlation between the words and the pictures.

Yep. It was all bullshit. Bush said to start drawing up the Iraq invasion plans in October of '01. They made the decision and then went to look for justification. Being able to perpetrate this level of fraud and mass murder without any consequences is sort of amazing. Now, this is my face anytime I hear someone say "this is a nation of laws".

614E890F-EE5D-4ABF-9C42-0ABF486EA2BA.jpeg

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Agreed 100%, I actually think it is even worse than you say, but probably best not go there here hey :)

edit: forgot to say that i don't think you are a psycho at all, that's what they are!

florduh

edit: forgot to say that i don't think you are a psycho at all, that's what they are!

lol I was in college when the Iraq War started. My girlfriend is 8 years younger than me, so she doesn't really remember how insane the early 9/11 era was. During all the retrospectives a week and a half ago, I tired to give her a taste of the deranged war mongering happening at the time. Even Oprah got in on the act!

scy123

"It turns out that it is just a very old Vaseline lotion mixed with very old sun screen"

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Meanwhile in the UK Bojo the Clown continues to excel at being the most singular worst leader the world has ever seen... absolute carnage, it's hard to imagine anyone doing a worse job of being PM if they tried. Today's complete and utter management failure is chaos at the petrol pumps! Look at them, so, as well as empty supermarket shelves, because UK doesn't have enough HGV drivers because "we're putting an end to freedom of movement", we now have empty fuel stations and no one can get anywhere... outstanding! Absolutely outstanding!!

Oh, but Boris is going to save Christmas, again!

scy123

I find this interesting enough to be appropriate.

Where is my free lab tested uncut cocaine.

"hosted the public demonstration outside the Vancouver Police Department"

handing out free hard drugs outside the police department lmao

Last edited:

florduh

My whole life, I've heard that people working in the service industry (restaurants, stores, hotels, etc) deserve to make so little that it's a struggle to survive. Because, don't you know, their jobs are so easy that a MONKEY could do them!

But investment bankers and finance bros, they deserve to make more than 99% of humanity. Because their jobs are so hard and require so much skill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom