Infused mead

tgvp

While browsing random YouTube videos, I saw one YouTube video about infused mead prepared by dissolving rosin in hot honey then letting it ferment for a month.
I just wondered, without fat, does the cannabinoid are efficiently assimilated ? And does using rosin directly remove the need for decarboxylation? I was eager to try it but before wasting good honey and concentrate, I wanted to double check first

Last edited:

840_divided_by_two

While browsing random YouTube videos, I saw one YouTube video about infused mead prepared by dissolving rosin in hot honey then letting it ferment for a month.
I just wondered, without fat, does the cannabinoid are efficiently assimilated ? And does using rosin directly remove the need for decarboxylation? I was eager to try it but before wasting good honey and concentrate, I wanted to double check first
The rosin would definitely need to be decarbed first. Not sure how well this would work without micronized THC isolate, which is water soluble.. maybe the fermentation process emulsifies the rosin enough?? Or perhaps dissolving the honey in a bit of high proof alcohol would be enough.

But yeah from my understanding, THC/trichome heads aren't water soluble (won't dissolve completely) without first undergoing a chemical process. Since sugar is water soluble it's possible the rosin just collects and clumps up at the bottom after the mixture settles. I have some 70mg/g BHO-infused honey I should test this with...

840_divided_by_two,

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Yeah, I'm not sure the infusion would survive the ferment either. I'm more scared of the oil attaching itself to flocs during flocculation. I think adding a tincture to finished mead would be the way I'd attempt it.

Also, you definately need a decarb for rosin as mentioned above.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on 👍

tgvp

I tried once to dissolve rosin in some leftover kirsch (cherry brandy, ~40% alc). Not a huge success, fats kind of clumped together and no really noticeable effects. And taste didn't improved (well, I don't really like kirsch, so it was probably not a good stating point 🤔).
If I need to decarb it beforehand, I'm not sure it's worth using rosin. Maybe less herbal taste in final product?
Another path could be using pure ethanol to dissolve the rosin, then add it to the mead, but that doesn't solve the decarb problem...

tgvp,
Top Bottom