Indy......... I was like........FUCK !!

lwien

Rookie running 1st on the last lap. First race at Indy. 22 years old. Had it in the bag, leading by enough distance on the last lap to win, coming into the home stretch, passing a lapped car, and then............... WHAMMO. Into the wall exiting the last turn before the checkered flag. Slid over the finish line in a crashed car...........second place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFV-85gyzQ

lwien,

Purple-Days

Once heard that the best way to win was the slowest way. ie... just barely!
He tried too hard, too bad... Gonna watch F1 in the morning. Speed Channel... Monaco... :cool:

Purple-Days,

lwien

Purple-Days said:
He tried too hard, too bad...

Yeah. A rookie mistake. He could have eased up when passing that lapped car. He had it in the bag. A wee bit too much adrenaline, eh?

lwien,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
It was a surprising end. I could have done without all the caution's. I still love to watch the race. I also love to hear Jim Nabors sing....

Back home again in Indiana,
And it seems that I can see.
The gleaming candle light, still burning bright,
Through the Sycamores for me.
The new-mown hay sends all its fragrance,
Through the fields I used to roam.
When I dream about the moonlight on the Wabash,
Then I long for my Indiana home.

:D

Vicki,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Damn it! And I came into this thread thinking it was a Raiders of the Lost Ark thread. :p

AGBeer,

Qbit

cannabanana
AGBeer said:
Damn it! And I came into this thread thinking it was a Raiders of the Lost Ark thread. :p

Bwahaha! :D

No, it's the Indianapolis 500 - turning left for three hours.

Qbit,

lwien

Well, for me, I like all kinds of racing, from Indy, to Formula One, to GT1, to NASCAR, to Rally, to MotoGP, to MotoCross, to Horse Racing, to 400 meter hurtles, to Unlimited Hydroplanes, etc, but if I had to watch a race where they turned RIGHT for three hours, I'd fucking vomit. ;)

lwien,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
lwien...check out the RedBull Air Racing series if you already don't watch it. Those guys are flirting with instant death pretty much there entire time in the cockpit. 220MPH a few hundred feet of the ground slicing and dicing through pylons while 100,000+ stand there and watch. Pretty crazy stuff.

finchrock24,

lwien

Yeah, I've watched that a few times, finch. Pretty intense. :o

I used to fly RC a lot and my legs used to shake from thinking about crashing and destroying all that hard work and time I put into building that plane along with the sheer excitement of stunt flying..........but both my feet were on the ground. I can't imagine what it would be like flying the real thing. With flying, the more space there is between the ground and you, the safer it is being that you have more time to correct for mistakes. These guys though..................wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUdgmvn516k&feature=related

lwien,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Yeah they're not spring chickens either, those Red Bull pilots. Older than most other sportsmen. Obviously about the practise and not being rash. But I lost that kind of nerve in my teens. Tip my hat to them.

WatTyler,

lwien

Wow. Now dat's some nice flyin', finch. Oh, and you just happened to pick my favorite Jimi song of all time. Perfect. Fuck, now I'm gettin' the itch to get back into it again.

btw, I don't know if you've ever seen this guy. Alan Szebo. He's an old friend. More of an acquaintance than a friend, really. Actually, he's young and I'm old, but never the less, not only is he a great guy, but man, what a fucking pilot. It's really nice to have sponsers that will pay for your shit if you fuck up. ;)

Watch what he does at 3:14 (crashed a few perfecting this one).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi7G-VzU2r4

Talented fingers this guy has. Talk about working the sticks. Just does these stunts so fucking close to the ground. Gives me goosebumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3nNiUStTE0

lwien,

Carbon

I missed this but heard it was a great race. I am a big F1 fan despite what's wrong with the sport and thoroughly enjoyed the race in Monaco this year. Don't forget the 24 Hours of Le Mans is next week.

Carbon,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
lwien said:
Wow. Now dat's some nice flyin', finch. Oh, and you just happened to pick my favorite Jimi song of all time. Perfect. Fuck, now I'm gettin' the itch to get back into it again.

btw, I don't know if you've ever seen this guy. Alan Szebo. He's an old friend. More of an acquaintance than a friend, really. Actually, he's young and I'm old, but never the less, not only is he a great guy, but man, what a fucking pilot. It's really nice to have sponsers that will pay for your shit if you fuck up. ;)

Watch what he does at 3:14 (crashed a few perfecting this one).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi7G-VzU2r4

Talented fingers this guy has. Talk about working the sticks. Just does these stunts so fucking close to the ground. Gives me goosebumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3nNiUStTE0

I strongly suggest you try it out again. The sport has evolved SO much just in the past 3 years. Electrics are silent, affordable, and SUPER easy to fly. Honestly, if you are considering it shoot me an email and I'll try and point you in the right direction.

And thanks for the compliments!

finchrock24,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Carbon said:
I missed this but heard it was a great race. I am a big F1 fan despite what's wrong with the sport and thoroughly enjoyed the race in Monaco this year. Don't forget the 24 Hours of Le Mans is next week.

I hate Monaco. It's always been the most boring and over-hyped race of any series. I expected this year to be no different, but for the first time in my memory (I've watched F1 since the 70s) it was actually exciting and interesting--for 90% of the race. Then there was a crash and Monaco broke out in all its disgusting predictability. :puke:

The only good thing about it is that Pirelli proved that Monaco can be an interesting race after all.

pakalolo,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
pakalolo said:
Carbon said:

I hate Monaco. It's always been the most boring and over-hyped race of any series. I expected this year to be no different, but for the first time in my memory (I've watched F1 since the 70s) it was actually exciting and interesting--for 90% of the race. Then there was a crash and Monaco broke out in all its disgusting predictability. :puke:

The only good thing about it is that Pirelli proved that Monaco can be an interesting race after all.

I see where you're coming from to a certain extent, but to be honest there are a lot more boring Formula 1 circuits than Monaco in terms of predictability. Also the street racing nature gives Monaco a more exciting edge and must take such skill considering the speeds they're going. Plus there's always a crash or two which livens things up, although I concede that it does then get dull for a few laps while the safety car's out, but what else can they do?

Vettel definitely surprised the McLaren-Button team with how far he was willing to push his tires. But considering they were approaching 'the cliff' just before that series of crashes happened, he was raaather fortunate that he didn't have to face off the fresher McLaren over the last 10 laps in the end.

wilf789,

Carbon

I disagree about Monaco. It can be tough to pass there but usually seems to offer something exciting to behold. If you want to point a finger at a bad track for the sport it would be newer ones like Valencia or Abu Dhabi. I can't remember anything interesting happening at the Valencia street circuit as far as racing goes, and Abu Dhabi is all show and no go.

Better tracks for me are Silverstone, Spa-Francorchamps, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (Montreal), Suzuka, etc.

Carbon,
Top Bottom