NFC Induction Heaters - What's available?

Mono Loco

INDUCTION HEATERS ("I.H.) for DynaVaps ... what's available these days??? (MAY 2020)

The following was first posted on the OG FC website ... soon to become a "Legacy Product". I have updated it somewhat.

* For those of you who don't actually know what an Induction Heater is, here is a poor general description. An induction heater is an electric-powered (either plug into a wall outlet, or battery) heater that can heat metal objects without generating heat (except that heat which radiates off the metal object being heated!). The heat is magically "waiting" inside a coil chamber, but it is potential heat, not real. if you stick your finger in the coil, you will not feel heat. If you stick a Popsicle stick in there, it won't get hot. If you stick a screwdriver tip in there, however, it WILL get hot ... it will get RED HOT if you hold it in there long enough! I don't know how it works, but it works well for heating DynaVaps, without the annoying Hissssssss of butane and without the cost of butane refills.

With this COVID-19 Stay@Home order, I find myself on the internet more than ever. I'm still waiting for our new (well, not so new anymore, I suppose) Governor to fulfill his campaign promise to LEGALIZE. When he does, I'm going to be ready! I already have the ugly, but effective, Dental Heater one, and Pipes has me on his list! (I finally caved, after not pursuing Pipes' offerings because I wasn't a fan of having the momentary tactile activation switch located in the "bottom of the heat chamber". But ... his strong following of groupies convinced me to re-think my reasoning.) I'm currently not partaking (sigh...) so there's no rush for me. Until it's legal here, I am simply refreshing my old notes and looking into new offerings for future reference - there are so many nice looking option these days! All this research has lead to I.H.-VAS ... dang, I better get a job!

I decided to share my list from my notes here. Other than putting Pipes at his rightful place on top, the remaining order is random. I'm merely making a list, with minimal details ... no specs., reviews, or recommendations. Like all of Pipes' offerings, most use a momentary pressure switch located in the bottom of the heat chamber that is activated by inserting the vaporizer and gently pressing it down a bit. If there are any units that I missed (very likely) please add them for everyone's sake. ;-)

#1 - by member @Pipes , the Godfather of them all, the original ... the OG IH .
His is a time-tested (since 2016!), proven design with stellar support. His info. can be found here: Pipes' GUIDE

He basically offers (currently) THREE models: An AC plug-in Desktop (pretty small), a slightly larger (but still pretty small) LiPO Battery model, and a DIY "drop-in" pre-assembled module that can be enlosed in you own custom case.

a) Battery Powerd model: Portside Mini (aka, "PSM") - uses a LiPO battery, ala' R.C. gear= $105

b) AC (wall plug-in, with an AC/DC power inverter brick) model: Cauldron (replaced his JarHead model) = $80

c) Bare Bones (B.B.) "kit" form. You buy the guts "a-la-carte" from him and make your own enclosure.
$35 Main Driver Module ... with Male connectors already on the power-lead dongles = includes the heating coil, the board, the glass tube, the switch, etc. ... all the required stuff PRE-ASSEMBLED in a tidy, compact package = NOT a bunch of loose parts! You just add (also available from him) either the:
$5 AC jack, ("Home Harness") with pre-attached Female connectors (and, of course, a suitable Power Brick, like the one also available form Pipes for $20), or ...
$20 Pre-wired Battery Harness, complete with BMS board all wired-up and complete with connectors in place
.... also available are AC adapters, Car Adapters, Battery Chargers .... basically, everything you'll need, in a more or less "plug-n-play" format!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2) Fluxer Heaters = member @mr_cfromcali = website here: Fluxer Heaters Website
He's a very busy guy, with a pretty long wait-list (as is MONTHS). His Signature model (Flux Deluxe) units use (3) x 18650 LiON batteries. Lots of options. His product's developmental history is good reading ... all detailed in his extremely transparent threads ... on the OG site, anyway (?). His offerings are a bit fancier than Pipes', which is NOT to say that they are "better", just different. Pipes' uses the commonly available driver boards that most Home DIY-ers use ... BUT ... he tweaks them with added components for safety and efficiency. The Fluxer units, on the other hand, are not only designed in-house, but use custom-made proprietary boards and carefully selected specific components.; sleek aluminum cases in several colors (wood options, too!)

- Flux Deluxe BASE = $150 (batteries not incl.)
- Flux Deluxe STANDARD = $175 (batteries not incl.)
- Flix = to be released soon - projected price @ $115, a nifty AC desktop unit that can run on voltages from 7.8-12.6v for variable heating behavior

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3) www.dynavap.com = finally, an "OEM" offering ... kinda'. DynaVap collaborated with LUCID CUSTOM to form "DynaTec". DynaTec has a model called the Apollo 2. It is currently out of stock at Dynavap.com, but is sold at retailers, too. It is an AC model, not battery, but I imagine a Battery option will follow soon. I've seen it listed for $130.
Its safety feature is that if you hold down the pressure activation switch for more than 15-seconds, it turns itself off. The innards are very streamlined, being custom proprietary stuff. It's larger than many other IHs, but still small.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4) Mag Heater - A portable Induction Heater for the DynaVap
From Germany - several modesl (both AC and battery) including some with fancy adjustable heat-sensing features - you can literally set the digital thermostat to a desired temperature.
- Basic “Compact” = $165

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5) www.vaphotbox.com =
- the "VHB", Vap Hot Box, ABS plastic chassis, (2) x 18650 Batts = $150
- the "VHB Micro ", small wooden cube chassis, AC powered = $180
* uses a finger-press momentary switch on the outside of the chassis, NOT the more common "at the bottom of the Heat Chamber" light-pressure tactile switch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6) Toggen Gear Alpine 2020
- the "Alpine 2020", a classy brushed aluminum chassis w/ walnut veneer top, 1000mAh battery = $169.99 will be sold by: Source Vapes
A brand new offering = not even shipping yet! pre-orders were @ $99.99 (maybe still are ???)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7) (various sellers, eBay, Amazon, AliExpress) = SKJ Lab J28-3 = “dental heater” = $50. The true purpose of these devices is to heat small dental tools that are then used to carve wax for making dentures and and the like. They are not as powerful as most of the other designs out there, but they do work. In fact, some users prefer them, claiming that they heat more slowly and evenly, giving a smoother, less harsh but more flavorful vaping experience. YMMV. This bargain-priced unit is not as convenient because it requires the user to insert, hold still, wait, withdraw, reinsert, and wait some more before reaching the click. It's slower to heat than the other types, but still better than a torch and hard not to consider at its price. DDave Mods has a glass insert accessory that allow for hands-free heating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8) Etsy seller: JojosCreationShop

9) VapOven - in the UK (a lead from member @ VegNVape) ... Website HERE
- the heater is contained within a fairly plain wooden housing and there's both an AC powered and a battery powered version. Plus, they offer DIY kits, both AC and Battery. Unlike Pipes' drop-in pre-assembled plug-in modules of his B.B. model, these kits are bundled loose components and require more effort and skill to assemble ... but they include clear instructions with wiring diagrams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10) a maker in Vietnam ; Ladat••• (u/Ladat420) - Reddit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11) Some Woodworkers are using Pipes' B.B. kits to make some real Eye Candy !!!
- F.C. member: phattpiggie (Phattpiggies Wood Shed - he does more than stems!)
- Timberhead Designs

Finally, there are several postings on Reddit that give good instructions and have schematics.
The main group is: r/inductionheaters There are also members of that group that make and sell "home-made" units. Buyer Beware.

Check out these cool enclosures:

One of the best guides is by user u/beasthoss. It can be found here: Beasthoss DIY GUIDE

Cheerio, all!

~ Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

im not a robot

pricing for magheaters went up, his retailer on vapeurshop.com is now asking 199€ for the compact - however i think it comes bundled with a battery and charger. it still seems a lot of money, particularly when comparing it to the $105 for the portside mini. i do find the option to arrange the heating tube / tweak temperature very attractive, but that is me never having used an IH before, maybe it doesnt make such a difference? i am just getting started looking more seriously into IHs, so thanks for starting this thread.

im not a robot,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@im not a robot - these prices are insane! But yes, MagHeaters is trying to up the game with next-level features. I'm all for anyone that wants to provide greater freedom in usage. Someone just needs to make a serious production offering that can change the pricing structure of these units. A $50 portable DV IH is not a big stretch. I'm looking very hard at going portable and pocketable, for instance. What price-point should that come in at? I can tell you now that a $99 entry isn't a huge stretch if you can have a hundred made at a time.

One hesitation I have toward MagHeaters in that price-range - they are 3D printed cases. Don't drop it. This is my personal view in that I do 3D printing. I've offered product with 3D printed cases. I make it a point to let buyers know these are not as robust as a properly engineered case.

im not a robot

yes, i am not crazy about the 3d printed aspect. i do like their aesthetics on the images, like old radios, but thats secondary of course.
thanks for putting the prices a bit in perspective for me. and sorry, i did not read a lot of the legacy threads, have you made your own IH as well?

im not a robot,
Reactions: TommyDee

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I am making them to determine usability aspects. I don't have a lot to work with but I have the right bits to experiment. I am also on no clock so this is easy. I remedy VAS with DIY. Impetus was a VC on the way and having zero desire to put a torch against it. Ordered a module from eBay and my CV's have never seen a torch. I also have a heavy flashlight hobby background so power circuits and li-ion are second nature. Just weak in bobbles in my hobby-room so I get to play with all the new power tech to boot.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
One hesitation I have toward MagHeaters in that price-range - they are 3D printed cases. Don't drop it.

Why not? They are sturdy. And water resistant.

They are meant to be used outdoors in rough weather conditions. I dopped mine numerous times → no prob at all (current versions have a wooden tube, the video shows a vintage Professional with a glass tube which was prone to break). I don't recommend to kick it around all the time, but the case is *very* rugged.

Yeah, the price went up, but I think it's still the same considering it now includes the LiPo, he used to charge 20€ for them. I know and enjoyed the PSM, but performancewise the Mag Heaters are on a bit of a nicer level in my opinion. I also prefer momentary switches heavily, the PSMs tactile switch behaved a bit bitchy sometimes (but that seems to be a matter of personal preference). Also love that it charges in 15 minutes.

I'm a bit of a fan, so yeah... :) Will probably open a dedicated MH thread once I get my long awaited Slim Automatic IR.

Last edited:

im not a robot

I know and enjoyed the PSM, but performancewise the Mag Heaters are a bit on a nicer level in my opinion.
could you elaborate on this? i have no baseline re IHs, i imagine they will all heat a tip, but differences would occur with speed of the click, general handling & feel maybe. well and of course different features like the heating tube in the compact. i understand re the switches, makes sense, and good to hear that it does feel sturdy, i was a bit worried about that. the price did go up, but i understand this is a 1 man business and i did not mean to single him out, most of these are solid investments. if it is a good device i would still be interested, i am too inept to assemble one myself. just trying to understand differences right now.
Will probably open a dedicated MH thread once I get my long awaited Slim Automatic IR.
i am very much looking forward to that and hope you get it soon regardless.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
could you elaborate on this?

What I love about the MH is that it is very quick, yet flexible. The first heat cycle will take about 5 seconds, when the cap is warm or hot, it will click within 3 seconds. This is equal to the cap being heated in the upper middle or top. Adding an extra second equals to the cap being torched at the bottom (about 2-2½ extra seconds will result in combustion). The short heat up time allows me to anticipate the click very easily, which results in a very intuitive way of using it. The PSM on the other hand would usually make the cap click in about 8 seconds (though that varies a lot depending on what PSM generation you might have I guess) and except for the first heat cycle did not allow me to go past the click without combusting – it gave me a very reliable, toasty hit every time (which is what Pipes was going for) but when using it I missed the flexibility of a torch. With the PSM a load would be history after 3 heat cycles max, while the MH gives me the option to have ~6 heat cycles if I want to (and the strain has the potential).

Do you know which material he uses?

Oh, good question – he does document his work on his →blog, but I don't know a thing about 3D printing so I'm not sure he mentions the exact material he uses. He recently wrote that he is currently testing the „colorFabb filament“ by Prusa and that he did use the „Amolen glow filament“ (probably referring to his glow in the dark models). Not even sure what that means. :) But you will find some info on his printing approach (mixed with stories about colds, chipped teeth, postal fails etc., but it's there).

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
That MH Slim Automatic IR, caught my eye awhile ago. It’s the only one so far I’ve seen that has the sensor like my cheap SKJ IH. I’d give up on my desire for 3x18650 batteries, and metal case, just for that feature and being able to adjust heat strength. For me, I like not having to hold the VC down, or holding a button. Hope it makes it to market, and raises the DIY bar.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Last edited:

im not a robot

thanks @Siebter, very useful info. with flames working this well with the dynavaps, i am going back and forth on the whole IH thing, and i would prefer not to have to sacrifice flexibility. but i have a stem on order i am very excited about & the idea of torching it gives me pause. portability seems easier with IHs as well, the weather-seal of the magheaters is a nice plus.
i have been wondering about using low-temp caps, so far i couldnt really understand their appeal because if lower temps are desired why not just heat closer to the end? it is possible i misunderstand sth fundamentally there, but now i am wondering if they would not maybe be a nice combo with the PSM and bring back some flexibility by going past the click.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@Summer – Something's wrong with that link, this one should work → Alpine 2020

I think I saw quite a few people preordering the Alpine, so I guess we should see first impressions of this beauty in a few weeks.

Looks to be the conventional module in a box for the base unit. A PSM implementation?

The general layout is the same except for the added battery display, the external switch and the tube adjuster, so it could be called a PSM implementation (just as the Apollo or the Alpine are PSM implementations), but he sources / makes the parts needed himself, coils, 3D printing, wiring etc., even the wooden tube is cnc cut by himself. The board is probably the same or very close, but perfomancewise they are still very different. He also does the coding of the heat sensing software himself.

In the end they all are children of the PSM / Caldron / Jarhead. :)

Siebter,
Reactions: Summer

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Fluxer and Apollo 2 stand out in that they are unique circuit boards for the IH itself. So far, everyone else I've noted or seen use one of the Mini ZVS 120 watt boards.

I like the Mag Heater temp sensor. Yes, I've done that level of coding. He's doing well implementing the sensor. Moving the cup around to change the click profile on the fly is also a unique feature so far hampered by coil-switches in other designs.

There's a lot of work to making a PSM and a Mag Heater, no doubt! I'm just now up to making coils, and tooling for coils.

A little birdy dropped this with regard to the Apline 2020 preorder-

49917675798_f5517f228b_b.jpg

Last edited:

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Fluxer and Apollo 2 stand out in that they are unique circuit boards for the IH itself.

That's true and I appreciate the work that goes into developing such a piece, but on the other hand I as a user don't really see the advantage of that. Technically these boards do not seem more advanced to me, at least I don't see them having a better performance, different features or the like. Even the Fluxer gets his different heating profiles from different coils, not from different settings that the board offers.

Although it might come into play as the evolution of induction heating goes on.

Sorry for OT.

Looking forward to your reports on the Alpine!

Siebter,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I care about the watts. Coils don't matter to me. Watts will tell me the experience I will get. Backing that up with accurate temperature and I'll be happy as a clam.

TommyDee,

jackstraw

I wish someone would market a battery powered IH with easy battery removal, built into a case with built-in storage for a couple of Dynavaps, plus some herb. Maybe spring loaded to keep the DV from sliding around. Sort of a combination of a portable IH + Dynastash.

Mono Loco

Yeh ... swappable battery cartridges (like an auto-loading pistol's magazines, or a cordless drill) would be very handy.

Mono Loco,

bannakaffalatta

I only have the Flux Deluxe ( #169 in Blue) so I can't compare. All I can say is that the batteries last a long time and even if I run out of batteries I can always pop in a new set. It's portable where I can carry it easily where I need to go. Also from my opinion it's the sleekest of them. Lastly, it's got 4 magnets. That means when you've finished your bowl you have 4 spots to put your dynavap. You don't have to search for that one spot with the magnet.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I wish someone would market a battery powered IH with easy battery removal, built into a case with built-in storage for a couple of Dynavaps, plus some herb. Maybe spring loaded to keep the DV from sliding around. Sort of a combination of a portable IH + Dynastash.

I'd say a little epoxy would make exactly what you want - Fluxer, meet DynaStash :cool:

opdtf1n280sbzhmf.jpg

Mono Loco

A little birdy dropped this with regard to the Apline 2020 preorder-

49917675798_f5517f228b_b.jpg

Well ... May 26 is tomorrow, Tuesday ... ??? Next year, May 26 is on a Wednesday. In 2022, May 26 is a Thursday. Ahhh ... Friday May 26 comes in 2023 ... that would be a LONG wait. LOL

Mono Loco,
Top Bottom