Induction heater: which metals can be heated?

PPN

Volute of Vapor
In my line-up I own a few devices using induction heating system. There is a @Pipes Jarhead, a Loto Legend and 2 Lux. All units are used in a daily basis.

Although I want to try to use them differently and noticed most mesh screens are non-induction heat-able... I read on Wiki most stainless steel aren't working with induction. So I thought a magnetic mesh screen might work and found the ones to come with the Square are magnetic... tried it... but no luck, that mesh didn't heat too...

In fact my goal is to try to use my Legend with a tiny quartz cup wrapped in metal. The only way I found was a QQ quartz cup, I insert shortened susceptors in the ceramic atty holes but this is didn't seems to work since the susceptors was placed on a small area rather than catching magnetic effect from all the length of the induction system (I noticed already that, to catch that magnetic/induction effect susceptors have to be long enough, at least 1cm).

Please, could you help me to find the right mesh metal to work in my Legend? Is some wires designed for e-cig might works?

TommyDee

Vaporitor
This is a function of the induction heater generator. You're throwing eddy currents into the metal. I suspect our rigs are not of a sufficient frequency to work well on smaller wires. I noted the same thing with a bike spoke (also stainless steel). But a VapCap is stainless steel or even Ti and they heat just fine. Therefore it is continuous surface area that picks up the heat.

Put a meter on the IH input and watch the current when you insert the part. That tells you how much energy you are imparting into the object after subtracting resting current.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
This is a function of the induction heater generator. You're throwing eddy currents into the metal. I suspect our rigs are not of a sufficient frequency to work well on smaller wires. I noted the same thing with a bike spoke (also stainless steel). But a VapCap is stainless steel or even Ti and they heat just fine. Therefore it is continuous surface area that picks up the heat.

Put a meter on the IH input and watch the current when you insert the part. That tells you how much energy you are imparting into the object after subtracting resting current.
I was about to post similar reply,but then i refreshed the page and saw that you did even better :) !
This is also a reason why you cannot heat vapcap with induction stove,it is meant for larger objects and doesnt even detect a vapcap.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
So metal isn't so much important as the susceptor size...?
I agree length seems to be the main factor but, in my units, it looks like the bigger is the weigth the more difficult is the heat up. The tiny susceptors which came with the Lux works even better (I mean hotter) in bigger units like the Legend or the Jarhead.
Although every mesh I tried doesn't heat at all (the glob of rosin I put on didn't even melted at all), magnetic or not. Stainless steel doesn't usually contents enough iron for induction, isn't it? Titane is it working (my M isn't Ti) well by induction?

Thank you for your replies!

PPN,
Top Bottom