Increased risk/association between marijuana usage and testicular cancer?

noobvaperct

I don't even know how or why this popped up when I was looking up the BENEFITS of weed, but it the same damn article listed cons/potential cons and at the top of the list was an association/increased risk of testicular cancer. Me being the paranoid person I am did not want to read this. I'm unsure if I'm able to post links but I can link the studies, but just wanted to know your thoughts on the matter. We obviously want to enjoy ourselves but we also want to be healthy so we are able to enjoy ourselves, can we all agree here?

Again, let me know but I can link the studies if anyone cares. I wish I didn't stumble upon this shit, but here we are.

GoldenBud

smoking cannabis releases free radicals, molecules which are very reactive, which can increase the risk of cancer. vaporizing releases much less free radicals, and a research about vaporizing cannabis leading to a cancer of any kind is still not found, yet.

noobvaperct

smoking cannabis releases free radicals, molecules which are very reactive, which can increase the risk of cancer. vaporizing releases much less free radicals, and a research about vaporizing cannabis leading to a cancer of any kind is still not found, yet.
So we are dancing with the devil you say.

noobvaperct,

GoldenBud

So we are dancing with the devil you say.
any organic herb that people smoke releases enough free radicals that if that somebody is doing it for years it will harm the body in some way... it's very reactive. vaporizing occurs without any chemical reaction, the temperature of vaporization is much lower, and less risky.

just stick to vaporization and not smoking

noobvaperct

No. Free radicals are weird and not always bad. When functioning properly free radicals help fight off pathogens. Similarly you can have too many antioxidants.

Also where is your link about ball cancer?

noobvaperct,
Reactions: dimmusp

GoldenBud

Given current drug-policy reforms to decriminalize or legalize cannabis in numerous countries worldwide, it is critically important to understand the potential impacts of cannabis use on the development of cancer. The current study aims to assess the ...
it's about smokers, your first link
smoking also releases the product CO which is also very dangerous and it binds the hemoglobin ever faster than oxygen :o

noobvaperct

any organic herb that people smoke releases enough free radicals that if that somebody is doing it for years it will harm the body in some way... it's very reactive. vaporizing occurs without any chemical reaction, the temperature of vaporization is much lower, and less risky.

just stick to vaporization and not smoking
So you're saying it's quite literally the act of combustion is what does it? How has no one else studied vaporizing? How long have vapes been around? Just curious here is all. I want us all to be healthy and to continue enjoying our precious herb.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Yeah, two of these a p-hacked all to hell and not useful. At the population level, this looks to be insignificant minor difference that I think could also be seen with some other correlation. I see nothing in these studies that worries me.

Having seen you on FC for a while, I can see you have a lot of health fears. I would recommend talking to a professional about these anxieties rather than googling.

GoldenBud

yeah man as long as you vaporize it's pretty much safe, there isn't a chemical reaction occuring while you vaporize weed, no CO, almost without free radicals i assume, no by-products, it's much safer than smoking, can't say it's 100% healthy because our lungs is supposed to carry inorganic gas, AIR, but... it's much safer than smoking

noobvaperct

Yeah, two of these a p-hacked all to hell and not useful. At the population level, this looks to be insignificant minor difference that I think could also be seen with some other correlation. I see nothing in these studies that worries me.

Having seen you on FC for a while, I can see you have a lot of health fears. I would recommend talking to a professional about these anxieties rather than googling.
What does p-hacked mean?

noobvaperct,

darbarikanada

maybe I have too much faith in the media, but I'm pretty sure the minute a (reputable) researcher comes up with strong evidence of any serious negative health effect from cannabis (and said evidence has been replicated by others, i.e. multiple studies), it'll be front-page news.

GoldenBud

maybe I have too much faith in the media, but I'm pretty sure the minute a (reputable) researcher comes up with strong evidence of any serious negative health effect from cannabis (and said evidence has been replicated by others, i.e. multiple studies), it'll be front-page news.
but then many people would think that the biggest medicine manufacturers may invented this research :lol:

GoldenBud,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
But isn't the point of any study to look and report on the findings or a correlation of sorts? Studies start out with what they want to dive deep into and you only focus on that controlled group, no?
No this is hacking the data to find a conclusion. You could probably pick another common activity and find a correlation. It's a real problem in research now. And to be clear the p-hacked data was not collected to answer this question, it was combed through looking for a result of any kind.

I am not sure how familiar you are with statistics, but it couldn't hurt to send some time learning about it. That Wikipedia article is a great description of this problem though.

noobvaperct

I definitely will. It’s just sad when you can’t take math and science seriously… I really do appreciate your input, you seem to know what you’re talking about.

noobvaperct,
Reactions: GoldenBud

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I definitely will. It’s just sad when you can’t take math and science seriously… I really do appreciate your input, you seem to know what you’re talking about.
I was specifically looking at the meta-analysis and the Swedish study, but all four look like they are just examing data after the fact rather than using experimental methods. And all are based on self-reported use, which has consistently been shown to be flawed, moreso with drug and weight related surveys.

noobvaperct

I was specifically looking at the meta-analysis and the Swedish study, but all four look like they are just examing data after the fact rather than using experimental methods. And all are based on self-reported use, which has consistently been shown to be flawed, moreso with drug and weight related surveys.
I know I’m asking a lot of you here, but how can you honestly tell? Playing devils advocate is a healthy part of discourse, I’m not disagreeing with you. Super appreciative of your time and effort.

noobvaperct,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
It’s just sad when you can’t take math and science seriously…

Oh you absolutely can. Just know that there is bad science and manipulative presentation of data that are used to support some kind of agenda and learn how to spot it. That might take some time to learn, but is crucial when you want to understand current research.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I know I’m asking a lot of you here, but how can you honestly tell? Playing devils advocate is a healthy part of discourse, I’m not disagreeing with you. Super appreciative of your time and effort.
My rule is when someone is playing devil's advocate they have to name the devil. Who are you advocating for? These researchers? The link between testicular cancer and cannabis? Running statistical analysis until a "significant" correlation leaps out?

Anyway to answer your direct question, look at their methods and the analysis. Specifically don't take any study at face value that reaches conclusions outside of the parameters of the experiment that collected that data.

Top Bottom