Important Lesson Learned: Shut Up, or go to jail...wtf?

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Counselors are required to report anything that even remotely looks like it may have been child abuse, even if your child was never involved in it, and never saw it.

I made the mistake of sharing with a counselor a past addiction, was very clear about how i had gotten rid of it by creating a CBT with a two-pronged approach: restructuring meanings and behavior modification. I was too proud of my recovery perhaps.

Well, today I got an unexpected visit from child protective services, got grilled about that and partying with my underage daughter, and at the end of the discussion was told "this doesn't look good, and i need to tell you the police may investigate this further."

So, no matter how organized you are about figuring out how to treat yourself, and it's possible to accomplish almost anything with a plan that you follow through on, don't share the results or content with any counselor or shrink because they are required to report it. Still too proud: It's been over three years, and when I force myself to imagine relapse I actually cry - there's just no way i could enjoy that again, any more than i could eat a burger at this point, the meanings have been sufficiently restructured that the pathway's been destroyed, and no triggers have been left.

Thank goodness I have ADHD, so I'm only shaking in my boots for a few minutes at a time. Now, almost two years out of work, no money, no credit, and i have to worry about getting an attorney? fuck

I think there's something basically wrong with a system that can't offer help or hope, only jail time. She said because i hadn't seen anyone about it, and had only treated myself, there was no proof (even though if I had told a doctor, I know I would have been in more trouble)

yes, im being intentionally vague - 'prolly LEA trolling this site.

Learn from my lesson, you can't share certain things with your counselor, doctor or psychiatrist.
we just don't live in that society anymore.

VWFringe,

max

Out to lunch
you can't share certain things with your counselor, doctor or psychiatrist.
Well, it depends on the situation and the person you're sharing with. In your case the situation is the driver and you're absolutely right that keeping your lips zipped is the way to go. When it comes to child services, concerning protection of the child, good people have been put through Hell and in some cases have lost their parental rights completely. Sometimes it's an over-reaction to the situations where nothing has been done after a report and the child/children have ended up abused or even dead. If your state agency ever comes knocking on your door and asking questions, due to a report, you should always expect the worst.

max,
Top Bottom