I want something to take the place of my Haze V3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibblybobbly

The Haze is pretty good, but it has some aspects that cause me irritation and makes me more likely to smoke instead.
  • It's a bit fiddly to fill - I often get material falling down the 2nd oven (the oven I don't want to use)
  • It's a pain to clean - lots of crucial places that get messy are invisible or inaccessible. Particularly places where little crumbs can fall and accumulate.

What can you recommend me at a similar price point, with similar capabilities? The Haze V3 is a solid performer. I'm interested in the Arizer Air, for instance. How is that to clean and maintain?

Also it's important to me that it works with small quantities. I like the ability to heat just a very little bit at a time.

EDIT: I would totally buy a vaporizer that came with a little self-cleaning docking station - like my electric shaver. I'm lazy to the core, that would really appeal to me. Or maybe something you could just detach and put in the dishwasher or whatever.

Last edited:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I would say solo, or vapcap....

But there are many options for a vape that's easy to keep clean....many many options..

Do you have any other requirements to narrow it down a bit.....

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I like simple. The Arizer Solo and the Air are excellent choices. The Air has batteries like the Haze. I don't like a lof little pieces to clean and keep track of either.

I also like an all glass air path. Both units will last the owner a long time. No 10 year warranty like the Haze though. The Air is stealth and looks like a large ecig. Kinda like an e-cigar.

Edit
A vaporizer is a personal thing and preference. Like I have no desire to use butane but others find it the best way to vaporize. We are all so different.

Don't get me wrong the Haze is a very good vaporizer that works well with concentrates. Plenty of people have decided that it is their favorite unit.

Last edited:

little maggie

I haven't found the haze difficult to clean- there's a video somewhere on how to do it. However for something comparable I'd say the solo. I prefer it to the air but it is bigger than the Haze which fits easily into a pocket.
If you don't mind batteries the Milaana is great- my main vape currently.. I also like the vapcap but it is very different from a vape like the haze or solo. And it uses butane. If you like butane the brick junior might be good. I haven't tried it but I have the original lily. The main vapes I use or the haze, milaana, solo and vapcap.

TboneToker

maybe you'd like the minivap, teflon core. It's practically indestructible and has potentially the greatest vapor quality out of any portable including the FIREFLY 2 and Storz and Bickels Mighty/Crafty couple.

I think you'd like the crafty, or the arizer air though.

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I have around 15 portables at the moment including the Haze V3) and I am using my Mighty and Milaana the most out of my battery powered vapes at the moment.
Vapcap is a nice one I keep in the car too. I have a Ti Woody in a Dynastash that I like.

try a Milaana and an OG vapcap, or spend a little more and get a proven Mighty. It really is a bad ass vape.

If you're looking for a portable the Milaana's bowl is completely removable just like the Solo, LSV and a few other desktop vapes. Also cheap to replace and buy spares, so you could have a fresh one while the other is soaking in alcohol getting clean and ready for the next use. 189 with lifetime warranty right now at 420edc.com (only a few left with lifetime warranty)

Last edited:

MinnBobber

maybe you'd like the minivap, teflon core. It's practically indestructible and has potentially the greatest vapor quality out of any portable including the FIREFLY 2 and Storz and Bickels Mighty/Crafty couple....
.......................................................................................
X2 on the miniVAP IF:
- the price is in your range as it is pricey
- you are ok with the size as it is on the big end of portables as probably too big for pants pocket BUT ok in jacket pocket or backpack
- with the flexicone basket modules, the chamber (almost) never needs cleaning.
mVbskt.jpg

CalyxSmokr

If you can't afford Mighty I would go with the Air. Much more simple to fill and refill but with similar cycle time etc.
No small parts and stems fill easily.
I use an extra screen in the stem that makes the load about 0.12 gm. Pretty small but I usually still take 2 sessions to kill it.

CalyxSmokr,

Mrbrown81k

Solo and Air seem like a good option for you if you dont want to spend too much. If you're going to go with a CF/CFX I feel like you might as well save 100$ and just get the convector/weeke/fenix. Although I havent tried either (convector on the way) I feel like they probably perform similarly. But yes the Air/Solo is super easy to clean and maintain and at a good price point, plus they are very reliable and will last you a long time.

Mrbrown81k,

Squiby

The Haze is pretty good, but it has some aspects that cause me irritation and makes me more likely to smoke instead.
  • It's a bit fiddly to fill
  • It's a pain to clean
How is that to clean and maintain?

Also it's important to me that it works with small quantities. I like the ability to heat just a very little bit at a time.

EDIT: I would totally buy a vaporizer that came with a little self-cleaning docking station. Or maybe something you could just detach and put in the dishwasher or whatever.

I join the chorus of Vapcap suggestions.

The Dynavap line the Vapcap vaporizers are shockingly efficient. You can load a full bowl or microdose, the choice is yours, it works great either way. Filling the bowl is as easy as popping a nug into the chamber or sucking up ground flowers like using a straw. No fuss, no muss, no mess.

The Vapcap is tiny and unobtrusive. It is the size and shape of a regular cigarette, 3.5 inches in length and 10mm in diameter. The XLS models are a bit longer at 4.25 inches long. Even though it is tiny, it delivers smooth, cool vapour.

This is an externally heated vape. You can use any source of heat really, from a campfire to a candle to a jet lighter. This feature alone makes it operational under almost any circumstance.

There are very few parts to a Vapvap. No batteries, no cords, plugs, electronics to organize or risk losing. The temperature regulating cap is heated and when it comes to toking temps, it makes a soft clicking sound that you can also feel in a noisy environment. The temperature is controlled by where you direct the heat on the cap.

The build is modular so you can switch out parts for aesthetics and function. VonG midsections are available to use with water tools.

There is really no maintenance required for this simple but beautifully engineered device. Cleaning is as simple as pouring a few tablespoons of cleaning solution into the dube tube that comes with the Vapcap and popping in the dismantled parts. Easy peasy. It is best to remove the Orings. Also do not clean the wood midsection on the Woody models. They don't need to be cleaned.

The Vapcap ranges in price from $35US for the all glass OG model to $155US for the top of the line indestructible titanium model, the Omnivap.

Customer service is the best I have experienced in my life, bar none. George @VapCap posts regularly on the Dynavap thread.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-281#post-1029372

IMO, this is the most functional, unobtrusive, aesthetically beautiful and endlessly customizable vaporizer on the market. Everyone should have at least one.

Last edited:

herbivore21

I join the chorus of Vapcap suggestions.

The Dynavap line the Vapcap vaporizers are shockingly efficient. You can load a full bowl or microdose, the choice is yours, it works great either way. Filling the bowl is as easy as popping a nug into the chamber or sucking up ground flowers like using a straw. No fuss, no muss, no mess.

The Vapcap is tiny and unobtrusive. It is the size and shape of a regular cigaerette, 3.5 inches in length and 10mm in diameter. The XLS models are a bit longer at 4.25 inches long. Even though it is tiny, it delivers smooth, cool vapour.

This is an externally heated vape. You can use any source of heat really from a campfire to a candle to a jet lighter. This feature alone makes it operational in almost any circumstance.

There are very few parts to a Vapvap. No batteries, no cords, plugs, electronics to organize or risk losing. The temperature regulating cap is heated and when it comes to toking temps, it makes a soft clicking sound that you can also feel in a noisy environment. The temperature is controlled by where you direct the heat on the cap.

The build is modular so you can switch out parts for aesthetics and function. VonG midsections are available to use with water tools.

There is really no maintenance required for this simple but beautifully engineered device. Cleaning is as simple as pouring a few tablespoons of cleaning solution into the dube tube that comes with the Vapcap and popping in the dismantled parts. Easy peasy. It is best to remove the Orings. Also do not clean the wood midsection on the Woody models. They don't need to be cleaned.

The Vapcap ranges in price from $35US for the all glass OG model to $155US for the top of the line indestructible titanium model, the Omnivap.

Customer service is the best I have experienced in my life, bar none. George @VapCap posts regularly on the Dynavap thread.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/dynavap-vapcap.18853/page-281#post-1029372

IMO, this is the most functional, unobtrusive, aesthetically beautiful and endlessly customizable vaporizer on the market. Everyone should have at least one.
I'll actually support this comment. I find direct draw hits from the dynavap range of vapes to be very similar to the haze v3 vapor I knew and loved before that. Don't worry about the butane and accidental combustion etc: if you respect the clicks, you have no problems with combusting. The butane gas also does not get into the airpath at all :)

Creeper

deep in the matrix...
Not so much a recommendation to another vaporizer but I would give the cans a shot with your Haze. I was using screens before and it was a pain like you said to clean the chambers and I did find a lot of build-up in the air intake over time. Since using the cans only cleaning and loading the unit is so much easier. I find more resistance when drawing and loading the cans adds more fiddly bits but it might be worth it before forking over another chunk of change for some of the pricer units suggested.

stinkytofus

• It's a bit fiddly to fill - I often get material falling down the 2nd oven (the oven I don't want to use)
  • It's a pain to clean - lots of crucial places that get messy are invisible or inaccessible. Particularly places where little crumbs can fall and accumulate.

What can you recommend me at a similar price point, with similar capabilities? The Haze V3 is a solid performer. I'm interested in the Arizer Air, for instance. How is that to clean and maintain?

EDIT: I would totally buy a vaporizer that came with a little self-cleaning docking station - like my electric shaver. I'm lazy to the core, that would really appeal to me. Or maybe something you could just detach and put in the dishwasher or whatever.
i use the herb cans exclusively

with herb cans all i had to clean was the cans, the chambers at worst has a few pieces of herbs that can be blown out easily

bibblybobbly

A big thanks to everybody who went out of their way to make a suggestion or recommendation. I have plenty to think about.
I haven't found the haze difficult to clean- there's a video somewhere on how to do it.
It totally is difficult to clean. I'm talking about the places that crumbs are inevitably falling into at the bottoms of the ovens, that can never be accessed without dismantling the unit. I don't know whether or not this will eventually clog up the device, but it's certainly not ideal if you need to make use of the warranty and send it overseas for repairs.
Not so much a recommendation to another vaporizer but I would give the cans a shot with your Haze. I was using screens before and it was a pain like you said to clean the chambers and I did find a lot of build-up in the air intake over time. Since using the cans only cleaning and loading the unit is so much easier. I find more resistance when drawing and loading the cans adds more fiddly bits but it might be worth it before forking over another chunk of change for some of the pricer units suggested.
I don't know... I've used those cans before. They're OK I guess but I never feel quite as satisfied after using a can than I do after using the conduction screen. Is that just a placebo effect from the bigger conduction clouds? Also I don't think it tastes as nice as the conduction screen. Overall I think your suggestion is good because using the cans solves all the problems I was moaning about -- no crumbs ever can fall into the oven holes that way, and the rest of the unit can be cleaned in the routine way. I suppose what it comes down to is: am I going to get loads of extra benifit, over and above the Haze I already own with herb cans, by buying some other 200-500 dollar gizmo?
I join the chorus of Vapcap suggestions...
You make a good case. It reminds me very much of my Vaponic (my first and only other vaporizer), which I'm also quite fond of. I also find it a bit annoying to load and use, but it performs brilliantly. The Vapcap appears to have many of the same benefits as the Vaponic, while also being more convenient. I think I'll have to pick one of these bad boys up.

The miniVAP looks absolutely great. But maybe a bit too expensive. Let me see if I can hack this can shit, and I'll think about it.

Creeper

deep in the matrix...
Your right, the flavour and vapor is tamed a bit cans versus screens but I didn't find it to be much of a deal breaker for the convenience and ease of use they present.

Plus if you have several cans you can easily pre-load and swap which is awesome on a long trip or event.

If you are a bit handy you can open up the Haze to clean the intake, it really is quite a nice design internally as the electronics are all connected and easily kept together while you move around cleaning the various parts. Just know it could affect your warranty if you mess something up.

bibblybobbly

Your right, the flavour and vapor is tamed a bit cans versus screens but I didn't find it to be much of a deal breaker for the convenience and ease of use they present.

Plus if you have several cans you can easily pre-load and swap which is awesome on a long trip or event.

If you are a bit handy you can open up the Haze to clean the intake, it really is quite a nice design internally as the electronics are all connected and easily kept together while you move around cleaning the various parts. Just know it could affect your warranty if you mess something up.

Have you taken yours apart before?! I'd be very happy to do so, but as you point out, that voids the 10-year-warranty, which was one of the main reasons I opted to buy the Haze in the first place. However, it tickled my paranoia gland something awful when I actually had to send it airmail back to the factory for repair -- I was constantly worried that it had been intercepted somewhere in the postal service. So it's kind of moot - I don't really like using the warranty anyway.

I'm very comfortable dismantling/mending electronics, so I'm happy to perform simple maintenance/repair/cleaning on the device's insides. But I have been too nervous to take mine apart in case I fucked it. But you say it's quite well-layed-out inside?

I'd be very interested to hear more about your experiences dismantling it, what it's like inside, and where everything is. If you had any photos of the insides that would be amazing. What steps do you take to dismantle it? At a first glance, I don't see any exposed screw heads...

bibblybobbly,

Creeper

deep in the matrix...
Open up the back side of the Haze, the screen is clipped on and will expose 2 screws. Those are the main screws holding the unit together, everything else is clipped in more or less. When the halves separate you'll see the electronics and the ovens linked together, carefully keep those together while you clean the intake.

My old unit is in storage so I can't grab pics but if you really need them I can do it.

Creeper,

bibblybobbly

Open up the back side of the Haze, the screen is clipped on and will expose 2 screws. Those are the main screws holding the unit together, everything else is clipped in more or less. When the halves separate you'll see the electronics and the ovens linked together, carefully keep those together while you clean the intake.

My old unit is in storage so I can't grab pics but if you really need them I can do it.
On closer inspection, I do see 2 screwheads on the underside. So what -- if I unscrew those, I can get at the insides? What about the honeycomb-patterned outer shell piece? That just snaps in and out of place?

I have some plastic spudgers that I use for prying stuff apart without breaking/scratching it. Could use those?

bibblybobbly,

Creeper

deep in the matrix...
Yup the two screws are the main way the unit is held together, the honeycomb shell is just snapped into place.

Creeper,

bibblybobbly

Yup the two screws are the main way the unit is held together, the honeycomb shell is just snapped into place.
I think you're probably right. I have this 'grass is greener' syndrome. Fuck throwing away 400USD on some other junk. With the herb cans it's like 85% as satisfying and 0% of the mess.

So anyways...

I undid the 2 screws. One side (towards the top of the unit, where the button is) came apart after the screws were removed. The other side didn't want to come apart. And so I didn't force it in case I broke something...

Any advice?

EDIT: Oh I see, you've gotta slide off the top and bottom panels next to the button and battery cover. I opened it, but I didn't want to pull it apart because evrything seems quite tightly packed in there.

Last edited:
bibblybobbly,

George1151

@bibblybobbly have you tried your Haze through a water device? I had my Haze for 4 or 5 months before getting my first water piece (D020-D) and I must say it is 10 times better through water than direct draw. If out and about I will use the Haze direct draw (I prefer the metal mouthpiece) but at home I only use it through water. I only use the cans have never even tried the screens lol.

I clean my unit with dry qtips (dollar store good enough) right after each session. I wipe down the metal oven lids, the silicon holder for the lids, and the vapor path. I get much more residue out of the Haze when it is warm than when it is cold.

The D020-D needs a GonG. I use the Haze one but if I was in the US not Canada I would use ratchett's SonG for half the price.

As for filling the cans ya I have spilled a few but I grind into a flat holder (Gr8tr) and use a plastic square spoon that come with many of the Chinese desert cups and jelly cups and it works perfect for scooping and loading the cans. Much better than the scoop side of the Haze tweezers. I hold the cans over the ground pile in the bottom cup that the grinder grinds into so that anything that spills over just goes into the pile of ground bud. Just have to be a bit careful when putting on the top screen to close the can up since if the little tongue that fits inside the cutout at the front of the can does not sit inside it won't hold. That is where you can spill the can fiddling with the lid insertion.

The plus of using the cans are many. You can load several in advance and then no need for futzing around especially after having already vaped a session, you can take the extra packed cans with you so no fuss and the ovens stay clean like new. A few crumbs of abv might spill into the oven when handling the hot cans but you can just blow them out because they are not sticky.

The small size of the haze sits nicely on top of a bubbler without any instability at all. Using water allows me to use 1 temp setting higher than you I did without water (I use setting 2 with water). The higher temp might make it hit a bit harder (not really sure on that front).

Hope this info is of some use to you.

George1151,
Reactions: Sketch420
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom