• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

I just saw the moon

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Apollo 11 descent to the lunar surface

H1-TN3yy-Fg4au-Tlezev.gif

Last edited:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@NYC_Frank - That was so cool. It amazes me that so much of those colors/textures are atmosphere (I don’t know proper terminology- storms, clouds, whatnot).
Very relaxing to watch - thanks for sharing.

Jill NYC,
  • Love
Reactions: NYC_Frank

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I know this isn't a shot of space, but this gets me everytime...and living where I live, I can see launches and the booster(s) coming back, but way too far away to see them touch down. Keep on going Elon and Spacex! Love this...
TemptingOptimisticAlbacoretuna-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I feel obligated to post this. It's incredible to me that since what follows had been said, that we are still acting like we are only slightly more evolved than apes (at least it seems a vast majority of the sheeple are like that...I'd like to think that most here are a bit more enlightened than that). I truly wish and desire that EVERYONE ON THE PLANET READ AND UNDERSTAND this.

“We succeeded in taking that picture, and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives.

The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there — on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light . . .

To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we’ve ever known.”

— Carl Sagan, October 13, 1994

Original Pale Blue Dot image from Voyager
UNnhWZy.jpg

A NASA enhanced image of the original
Cvwb1P1.jpg

Lastly, an enhanced Cassini image with Saturn in the foreground
5tyMTFP.jpg

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
The recording of Sagan reading from this section of the book:

And for some reason I always want to follow that with Charlie Chaplain's speech from The Great Dictator:

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Trip on this, x-ray images...the first two images are of the center of our very own Milky Way galaxy as seen from the Chandra X-ray Observatory. The first is an image of the supermassive blackhole Sagittarius A*, situated in the center of the Milky Way, emitting a jet and shockwave. I forgot to mention, if you click on the images I've posted they get huge in most cases, so you can really see the fine details...just in case you didn't know :spliff:
X9t7egm.jpg

This is an x-ray image of the Milky Way's galactic core from Chandra's view.
3KbJ0WI.jpg

And last, again from Chandra, an x-ray image of galaxy NGC 4258
GiHOYgy.jpg

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Saturn from Cassini
This image is called the Jewel of the Solar System
UHApK6K.jpg

Shadows
IFBH2uN.jpg

Final full image of Saturn taken by Cassini before diving into Saturn. It is a mosaic of a total of 80 wide-angle images that were acquired in just over two hours. This view is constructed from 42 of those wide-angle shots, taken using the red, green and blue spectral filters, combined and put together to create a natural-color view.
4Lxx42j.jpg

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
July 2020: The Next Full Moon is the Buck Moon

The next full Moon is called the Buck Moon, Thunder Moon, Hay Moon, Mead Moon, Rose Moon, Guru Moon, and Dharma Day. There also will be a partial penumbral lunar eclipse.

The next full Moon will be just after midnight on Sunday morning, July 5, 2020, appearing opposite the Sun (in Earth-based longitude) at 12:44 a.m. EDT. The Moon will be close enough to opposite the Sun that its northern edge will pass through the partial shadow of the Earth — called a partial penumbral eclipse.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
More of Saturn from Cassini.
This composite image was made from 65 individual observations by Cassini's visual and infrared mapping spectrometer in the near-infrared portion of the light spectrum.
rDU7b6Y.jpg

Saturn's North Pole Storm, the "Hexagon."
This image is among the first sunlit views of Saturn's north pole captured by Cassini's imaging cameras. It shows the center of the Hexagon, called the Rose. Measurements have sized the eye at a staggering 1,250 miles (2,000 kilometers) across with cloud speeds as fast as 330 miles per hour (150 meters per second).
VMKeG7T.jpg

North pole wide shot.
MWFPlZ2.jpg

North pole storm in motion.

Top Bottom