I just saw the moon

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I was wondering about this myself as the moon waxes full... (hopefully visible 🙏🏻) eclipse double-shot:

Monday, March 25

• In New York, the moon will begin to be eclipsed from 00:53 a.m. EDT until 05:32 a.m. EDT, with a maximum eclipse at 03:12 a.m. EDT.
  • In London, the moon will begin to be eclipsed from 04:53 a.m. GMT until moonset at 06:01 a.m. GMT. Maximum eclipse will not be visible. (😢)

Sunday, March 24/Monday, March 25

• In Los Angeles, the moon will be eclipsed from 9:53 p.m. PDT until 02:32 a.m. PDT, with maximum eclipse at 00:12 a.m. EDT.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
And if both solar and lunar eclipses aren't enough for you, how about this...?!:
CometPonsBrook_Vallestad_2564.jpg

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
It's easy to get lost following the intricate, looping, and twisting filaments of supernova remnant Simeis 147. Also cataloged as Sharpless 2-240, the filamentary nebula goes by the popular nickname the Spaghetti Nebula. Seen toward the boundary of the constellations of the Bull (Taurus) and the Charioteer (Auriga), the impressive gas structure covers nearly 3 degrees on the sky, equivalent to 6 full moons. That's about 150 light-years at the stellar debris cloud's estimated distance of 3,000 light-years. This composite image includes data taken through narrow-band filters isolating emission from hydrogen (red) and oxygen (blue) glowing gas. The supernova remnant has an estimated age of about 40,000 years, meaning light from this massive stellar explosion first reached the Earth when woolly mammoths roamed free. Besides the expanding remnant, this cosmic catastrophe left behind a pulsar, a spinning neutron star that is the remnant of the original star's core.

Is this a painting or a photograph? In this celestial abstract art composed with a cosmic brush, dusty nebula NGC 2170, also known as the Angel Nebula, shines just above the image center. Reflecting the light of nearby hot stars, NGC 2170 is joined by other bluish reflection nebulae, a red emission region, many dark absorption nebulae, and a backdrop of colorful stars. Like the common household items that abstract painters often choose for their subjects, the clouds of gas, dust, and hot stars featured here are also commonly found in a setting like this one -- a massive, star-forming molecular cloud in the constellation of the Unicorn (Monoceros). The giant molecular cloud, Mon R2, is impressively close, estimated to be only 2,400 light-years or so away. At that distance, this canvas would be over 60 light-years across.

Astronomers are well-known for naming objects with odd conventions, and the cometary globule GN 16.43.7.01 seen in this Picture of the Week is no exception. Cometary globules have nothing to do with comets aside from appearance: they are named for their dusty head and elongated, dark tail, as seen in this image taken with the VLT Survey Telescope (VST) hosted at ESO’s Paranal Observatory in Chile.
This globule, dubbed the Dark Tower — astronomers compensate with obvious names — lies about 5000 light-years away from Earth in the southern constellation Scorpius (the Scorpion). It contains dense clumps of collapsing gas and dust out of which stars will be born.
The curious shape of this object is carved out from an intense bombardment of radiation from a cluster of young, bright stars located off-camera to the upper-left. This radiation has swept around and outlined the cometary globule with the characteristic pink glow of hot, excited matter.

This image of NGC 5468, a galaxy located about 130 million light-years from Earth, combines data from the Hubble and James Webb space telescopes. This is the most distant galaxy in which Hubble has identified Cepheid variable stars. These are important milepost markers for measuring the expansion rate of the Universe. The distance calculated from Cepheids has been cross-correlated with a Type Ia supernova in the galaxy. Type Ia supernovae are so bright they are used to measure cosmic distances far beyond the range of the Cepheids, extending measurements of the Universe’s expansion rate deeper into space.

This image from the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope’s NIRCam (Near-Infrared Camera) of star-forming region NGC 604 shows how stellar winds from bright, hot young stars carve out cavities in surrounding gas and dust.
The bright orange streaks in this image signify the presence of carbon-based molecules known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or PAHs. As you travel further from the immediate cavities of dust where the star is forming, the deeper red signifies molecular hydrogen. This cooler gas is a prime environment for star formation. Ionized hydrogen from ultraviolet radiation appears as a white and blue ghostly glow.
NGC 604 is located in the Triangulum Galaxy (M33), 2.73 million light-years away from Earth. It provides an opportunity for astronomers to study a high concentration of very young, massive stars in a nearby region.

This image features the barred spiral galaxy galaxy NGC 1559 as seen by the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope. The galaxy hosts a visible central region with a distinct open pattern in the loosely-wound spiral arms. NGC 1559 resides approximately 35 million light-years away in the little-observed southern constellation Reticulum (The Reticule).
The data featured in this portrait make use of two of Webb’s instruments: the Mid-InfraRed Instrument (MIRI) and Near-InfraRed Camera (NIRCam). Here MIRI captures the glow of interstellar dust grains, which trace out the interstellar medium, the fuel for future star formation. NIRCam shows the light from stars, even young stars hidden behind prodigious amounts of dust. NIRCam also captures emission from ionized nebulae around young stars.
The data were collected by the PHANGS team as part of an observing program in which Webb will observe 55 galaxies that have also been mapped by the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) radio telescope, the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope and more. By combining Webb’s unprecedented view of the dust and stars with data from these other facilities, the team aims to obtain a new, highly detailed view of how stars are born, live, and die in galaxies across the Universe. This is also a Treasury programme, which means that the data will have no exclusive access period and so the scientific community (and others, including the general public) can access the data immediately. This has the advantage that more research can be done with the data more quickly.
NGC 1559 has massive spiral arms that abound with star formation, and it is receding from us at a speed of about 1300 kilometers per second. Although NGC 1559 appears to sit near one of our nearest neighbors in the sky — the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) - this is just a trick of perspective. In reality, NGC 1559 is physically nowhere near the LMC in space; in fact it truly is a loner, lacking the company of any nearby galaxies or membership of any galaxy cluster.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
JWST

This is an image of the Southern Ring Nebula (NGC 3132), captured by the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope’s Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam) and Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI). The image combines near- and mid-infrared light from three filters.
Webb’s image traces the star’s scattered outflows that have reached farther into the cosmos. Most of the molecular gas that lies outside the band of cooler gas is also cold. It is also far clumpier, consisting of dense knots of molecular gas that form a halo around the central stars.

This image (11.3 MB) features NGC 346, one of the most dynamic star-forming regions in nearby galaxies, as seen by the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope.
NCG 346 is located in the Small Magellanic Cloud (SMC), a dwarf galaxy close to our Milky Way.

This image (8.7 MB) by the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope’s Near-InfraRed Camera (NIRCam) features the central region of the Chameleon I dark molecular cloud, which resides 630 light years away. The cold, wispy cloud material (blue, center) is illuminated in the infrared by the glow of the young, outflowing protostar Ced 110 IRS 4 (orange, upper left). The light from numerous background stars, seen as orange dots behind the cloud, can be used to detect ices in the cloud, which absorb the starlight passing through them.
An international team of astronomers has reported the discovery of diverse ices in the darkest, coldest regions of a molecular cloud measured to date by studying this region. This result allows astronomers to examine the simple icy molecules that will be incorporated into future exoplanets, while opening a new window on the origin of more complex molecules that are the first step in the creation of the building blocks of life.

(15.5 MB) A delicate tracery of dust and bright star clusters threads across this image from the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope. The bright tendrils of gas and stars belong to the barred spiral galaxy NGC 5068, whose bright central bar is visible in the upper left of this image. NGC 5068 lies around 17 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Virgo. The keen vision at infrared wavelengths of two of Webb’s instruments — MIRI and NIRCam — allowed astronomers to see right through the gargantuan clouds of dust in NGC 5068 and capture the processes of star formation as they happened. This image combines the capabilities of these two instruments, providing a truly unique look at the composition of NGC 5068.

(15.8 MB) The first anniversary image from the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope displays star birth like it’s never been seen before, full of detailed, impressionistic texture. The subject is the Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex, the closest star-forming region to Earth. It is a relatively small, quiet stellar nursery, but you’d never know it from Webb’s chaotic close-up. Jets bursting from young stars crisscross the image, impacting the surrounding interstellar gas and lighting up molecular hydrogen, shown in red. Some stars display the telltale shadow of a circumstellar disc, the makings of future planetary systems.
The young stars at the center of many of these discs are similar in mass to the Sun or smaller. The heftiest in this image is the star S1, which appears amid a glowing cave it is carving out with its stellar winds in the lower half of the image. The lighter-colored gas surrounding S1 consists of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, a family of carbon-based molecules that are among the most common compounds found in space.

This image (17.5 MB) shows the irregular galaxy NGC 6822, which was observed by the Near-InfraRed Camera (NIRCam) and Mid-InfraRed Instrument (MIRI) mounted on the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope. NGC 6822 lies about 1.5 million light-years away, and is the Milky Way’s nearest galactic neighbor that is not one of its satellites. It has a low metallicity, meaning that it contains low proportions of elements that are not hydrogen and helium. Metallicity is an absolutely key concept in astronomy, in part because elements other than hydrogen and helium are largely produced by stars over their lifetimes. Therefore, in the very early Universe (before the first generation of stars had been born, lived and died) everything had very low metallicity. This makes contemporary low-metallicity objects (like NGC 6822) objects of interest for understanding how processes such as the evolution of stars and the life cycle of interstellar dust likely occurred in the early Universe. This was the motivation for these observations of NGC 6822 with Webb: to better understand how stars form and how dust evolves in low-metallicity environments.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I am totally fascinated by all the different photos of the southern ring nebula from different telescopes, and using different wavelengths of light. The differences in how the nebula appears under these different light sources is really quite incredible. It almost makes them look like different star systems. Each time a new telescope is added to our capability to view the universe, it brings along with it a completely different flavor for what's out there. And I can't help but get a little thrill with each new discovery and perspective. Compare these photos, for example, to the above. I just love it...
STScI-01G709RFDHBXFGJ68SZXHNBAVM.png

florduh

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
I was telling my wife the story when I was in high school and thought I'd blinded myself staring at what was a significant partial eclipse. It was a slightly overcast day so it was not like I was staring straight into the sun but bad enough to give me a killer headache and I was happy to wake up the next day with my sight 😎

Anyway, I started looking for databases of solar eclipses in NYC and found this great NASA site. Took a look and there it was... "March 7 1970, Major Partial Eclipse - Near Total Path" ... very high eclipse magnitude ... 😱 ... still give me chills...

Take a click to take a look and try to figure out how to find other major cities as they must be there ...

florduh

As soon as these nerds reestablish communications, they need to send exactly one more signal.

8KZW0u.gif

Oh fuck. I just found out Voyager isn't the only interstellar spacecraft we have out there with a map leading directly back to the solar system:doh:

739463main_a73-9015-2.jpg

Pioneer_Plaque-1.png

There's two Pioneer spacecraft heading for interstellar space now. LOL, we are so fuckin dumb man. Both literally and figuratively showing our dick and balls to the whole damn universe. May as well start stocking up on canned goods now:shrug:

New York Nyc GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
IG eclipse stuff:

Amazingly, the weather is supposed to be damn near perfect tomorrow (50's, clear )! My daughter and her bf are heading up today and we'll make the 2 hour dash north (in his bitchin BMW) to the southern line of totality midday tomorrow and cruise back for dinner.

mCxZH1Bi9o2aY.webp

Edit: this too:

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Last edited:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I noticed after watching (only partial, but watched for a while) that later that night, i had that exhausted feeling I only get after laying out in the sun all day.
Anyone else feel that way? And if so, any idea why?

My stoner brain had a field day with theories last night! 😆 (tl;dr The sun is a deity using the eclipse to steal back our energy)

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Ha, no, not my vid:

I do have a bunch of decent pics to post and a couple of videos (with me babbling like a fool, of course :brow::rolleyes:) supplied by my cohorts... when it like "snapped in", or so it seemed or felt like, I was so absolutely and unexpectedly BLOWN THE F AWAY that I couldn't mess with my stupid IPhone, not a chance. I've seen a few partials over the years and none came even remotely close to the feeling of totality for those 3.5 minutes or whatever it was... especially in our choice setting in the mountains on a lake in Moscow, ME, with my daughter and her bf. Totally worth every bit of effort and then some....!

I'll try to post those soon, just been super busy lately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom