• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

I just saw the moon

stark1

Lonesome Planet
:)Since the search for exo-planets began, it seems most stars have at least one or two planets Orbiting
(TRAPPIST-1 is an entire solar system with 7 orbiting planets, with some in their Goldilocks Zone).
Because of the vast distances, and diminutive sizes, moon rocks are a hard sell. And harder to detect.

Using the transit method, where a light curve diminish in intensity as ithe transiting object physically
Blocks some of the light in passing, a candidate moon is thought to have been detected
In Kepler-1625b.

After the major dip in the light curve of Kepler-1325 passes (frames 2,3), a smaller perturbation is seen following
(frame 4). A candidate moon.

In the coming future, Webb may reveal circumstellar discs, planets, and circumplanetary discs, perhaps even lunar size objects dancing around their parent planet in our galaxy.

Meanwhile, our continuing search for exoplanets have opened up a new lunar phase in the search, and possible detection of bio-signatures, such as O, CO, CO2 molecules. Methane. And liquid H2O.

😗😗😞😁😁🤓😁

Surely
we are not alone? Are we not all made of similar star dust. And the spark of Life.

ET, fone home

:tup:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
BTW should you be up tonite, a staccato burst of CME should light up the sky from the recent G3 solar storm.
The dance of aurora(s) should be seen as far south as New England, and New York.
I have been hoping to get lucky on this but no joy. I have only seen auroras this far south (41.837° N) on two occasions in my life, once in colors and once just white light. The colored one was mind blowing...

stark1

Lonesome Planet

Should be some purty ones as we ascend to solar max of the 25th Solar Cycle (since 1755)

Earth bound aurora from the ISS

Not exclusive to Earth, auroras are sported by both Saturn, and Jupiter
As they too have a magnetic core

One of Jupiter’s moons, Ganymeade, the only solar system moon with a mag field also sports auroral rings.
Unlike planetary auroras, Ganemeade’s aurorae are caused by radiation emitted by Jupiter.

up load photos

Enjoy your upcoming auroras!

stark1

Lonesome Planet
The past few decades have seen the detection of exoplanets flare into the thousands. Around 5K, at present.

The search have evolved into finding earth-like planets in their habitable “goldilocks zone”.

A further refinement of the search perimeters is to locate ( detectable ) super earths which are “water worlds”, with liquid water. Like Earth.

Recently such a planet is believed to have been detected.

Candidate ocean world TOI-1452b (2X Earth size) is orbiting its larger star in a binary system about 188 light years, in Draco.

Artistic rendition

Observatory time on Webb may soon resolve this.
Imagine.
Another water world.

Closer to home, radar imagery unveils a large subsurface lake in Mars southern pole. Now Martian explorers
Won’t have to lug canteens of water from earth.

Martian ice/water

Radar image (in blue) of possible subsurface (1.5 km down) liquid water 💦 on Mars.

The possibilities are “breathless”. As the liquid water can be converted into both hydrogen, and breathable oxygen.

With hydrogen to propel them out to Jupiter’s moons, the future for planetary explorers is opening up, and promising.

Of course first the Artemis missions will enable planetary rockets to leapfrog from the moon to Mars, with its pockets of ice.

Water, to explore above, and beyond.

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Should there be major solar communication disturbances from ramped up snapping magnetic flux Monday, NASA
Has designated Sept 2nd, and the 5th as alternate launch dates.

There are five active region currently (mostly in the southern hemisphere), AR3088 and AR3089 both displayed M class flares.

Then there is our unpredictable terrestrial weather.....

Launch of Artemis is ‘Good to Go’ on one of the three days. Should be quite the crowd then.

“De la Terre à la Lune”, Jules!

Last edited:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
GRrr-ridlock!!

Up to 500,000 (half a million! ) observers will be crowding to see SLS launch the first exploratory lunar probe in five decades on the same launch pad which sent the Apollo missions to the moon. And back.

Five cruise ships will be disembarking/boarding some 40,000 passengers out of Port Canaveral.

Plus, after all that, the “go for launch” of Artimis I may be scrubbed at the last minute. Due to weather.
According to the 45th Weather Squadron, one in three launches are scrubbed due to weather.

To watch the liftoff, and avoid the scrunch, YouTube, and NASA channels will be broadcasting the epic event live.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Weather looks a little rough for tomorrow so we'll have to see if Artemis can get off on it's first try. I had one shot years ago to see a shuttle launch and it was touch and go up until launch time and never did get off while I was there. Traffic for the weekend launch was excruciating as you can imagine. It got off the next day but I was already a couple hundred miles north on my way back home.
Still gonna be some time for another option to take this photo. I look forward to see what kind of lander Musk comes up with...
apollo_11_flag_on_the_moon_w_aldrin_as11-40-5874.jpg

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
They said they can launch in rain, but not lightning. I'm hoping to walk out my front door, look 100 miles to the SE, and hopefully see a big f'n candle rising in the sky!

stark1

Lonesome Planet
As the English would say, “scuppered”— at least until Friday, 12:48 PM.

Countdown aborted at T minus 40

image upload

Three of the SLS engines were “conditioned” for launch, while the 4th failed to be bled to temperature

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

Elon Musk says he's 'highly confident' that SpaceX's Starship rocket launches will cost less than $10 million within 2-3 years...

I believe NASA is predicting a 2 year turn around at $2B for Artemis. Will SLS/Artemis ever really be a viable craft for moon or Mars landings and equipment ferrying? Neither craft are proven yet but looking into the future one seems to make a lot more sense than the other. Even if Musks predictions are typically overpromised the difference is still likely to be dramatic.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Also notice how there's been zero testing of Starship or the full booster? If it wasn't for Artemis, Starship would already be sending things to orbit. I'm not shitting on Artemis, just the politics.

bigheaded1

I'm high as shit right now, and haven't been high in ages and ages. So that's probably adding to my wow factor, but this thread will be great to read thru right now while I'm super baked. I was watching an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson a few months ago and when he talks about the universe I'm always in awe. Actually, any topic be brings up he's mind numbing smart. But in this particular interview, he was talking about how the earth rotates at 800mph and if anything ever caused it to instantly stopped rotating for 1 second, that would be it. I tried to imagine it back then and it tripped me out. But my high self is pondering going from 800mph to 0 in 1 second. He was just posing it as a "what if?" but it's a lot to think about.

The universe is amazing and impossible to really grasp because the more you ponder the more you understand you don't understand it.

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Regarding the Artemis Project, the objective of the preliminary non-crewed flight is to get
All the wrinkles out of SLS, making it safe for manned (and Women) lunar flights.

Another goal of the Project is to symbolically land a woman, and a person of color on to the moon.
A historic prospect.

Who among the Artemis Candidates (who are thus qualified) will become the ground breaking lunar firsts?

( It would be apt/cool to have an all women crew, land on the moon, since Artemis is
Goddess of the Moon. Idle thoughts of a loony mind? )

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Also notice how there's been zero testing of Starship or the full booster? If it wasn't for Artemis, Starship would already be sending things to orbit. I'm not shitting on Artemis, just the politics.
I don't think we really know why the FAA seems to be slow rolling approvals at Boca Chica. It may be as simple as the surrounding community being concerned about Space Ports "rapid" progress. We need to remember that there are private homes less than two miles from the launchpad. Boca Chica is not like the Space Coast that operates on what is basically an offshore island with reclaimed swampland and a bird and wildlife sanctuary that never had people living there. Not to mention that Cape Canaveral and Patrick Air (Space) Force base are next door to Merrit Island. So the area has really been shared by the military with large parts mostly inaccessible to civilians since the 50s. Spacex is really a newcomer at Boca Chica. They didn't start buying land there until about 2012.
Then there is the fact that Musk and NASA don't think the same about probably anything and that could make it difficult to cooperate. Idea development for NASA takes years where Musk seems to put ideas into action very rapidly. While they may have the same basic goals, their methods are very different. Lots of opportunity for egos to collide.
Clearly Spacex moves much faster than NASA and if given the go may well have starship ready for passenger travel before Artemis 2 is even ready to fly, but we will have to see how that goes.

Top Bottom