I just saw the moon

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
In visible light, the Milky Way's center is hidden by clouds of obscuring dust and gas. But in this stunning vista, the Spitzer Space Telescope's infrared cameras, penetrate much of the dust revealing the stars of the crowded galactic center region. A mosaic of many smaller snapshots, the detailed, false-color image shows older, cool stars in bluish hues. Red and brown glowing dust clouds are associated with young, hot stars in stellar nurseries. The very center of the Milky Way has recently been found capable of forming newborn stars. The galactic center lies some 26,700 light-years away, toward the constellation Sagittarius. At that distance, this picture spans about 900 light-years.
9frOMyb.jpg

What you are seeing is not the famous Horsehead nebula toward Orion but rather a fainter nebula that only takes on a familiar form with deeper imaging. The main part of the here imaged molecular cloud complex is a reflection nebula cataloged as IC 4592. Reflection nebulas are actually made up of very fine dust that normally appears dark but can look quite blue when reflecting the visible light of energetic nearby stars. In this case, the source of much of the reflected light is a star at the eye of the horse. That star is part of Nu Scorpii, one of the brighter star systems toward the constellation of the Scorpion (Scorpius). A second reflection nebula dubbed IC 4601 is visible surrounding two stars to the right of the image center.
oIFQfH7.jpg

Few cosmic vistas excite the imagination like the Orion Nebula. Also known as M42, the nebula's glowing gas surrounds hot young stars at the edge of an immense interstellar molecular cloud only 1,500 light-years away. The Orion Nebula offers one of the best opportunities to study how stars are born partly because it is the nearest large star-forming region, but also because the nebula's energetic stars have blown away obscuring gas and dust clouds that would otherwise block our view - providing an intimate look at a range of ongoing stages of starbirth and evolution. The featured image of the Orion Nebula is among the sharpest ever, constructed using data from the Hubble Space Telescope. The entire Orion Nebula spans about 40 light years and is located in the same spiral arm of our Galaxy as the Sun.
9tGZkAm.jpg

This image taken with the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope depicts the open star cluster NGC 330, which lies around 180,000 light-years away inside the Small Magellanic Cloud. The cluster – which is in the constellation Tucana (the Toucan) – contains a multitude of stars, many of which are scattered across this striking image.
Because star clusters form from a single primordial cloud of gas and dust, all the stars they contain are roughly the same age. This makes them useful natural laboratories for astronomers to learn how stars form and evolve. This image uses observations from Hubble’s Wide Field Camera 3 and incorporates data from two very different astronomical investigations. The first aimed to understand why stars in star clusters appear to evolve differently from stars elsewhere, a peculiarity first observed with Hubble. The second aimed to determine how large stars can be before they become doomed to end their lives in cataclysmic supernova explosions.
feu8H5C.jpg

This image of the star formation region NGC 6334 is one of the first scientific images from the ArTeMiS instrument on APEX. The picture shows the glow detected at a wavelength of 0.35 millimeters coming from dense clouds of interstellar dust grains. The new observations from ArTeMiS show up in orange and have been superimposed on a view of the same region taken in near-infrared light by ESO’s VISTA telescope at Paranal.
qbVeLQC.jpg

The glowing jumble of gas clouds visible in new image make up a huge stellar nursery nicknamed the Prawn Nebula. Taken using the VLT Survey Telescope at ESO’s Paranal Observatory in Chile, this may well be the sharpest picture ever taken of this object. It shows clumps of hot new-born stars nestled in among the clouds that make up the nebula.
nl0FC6B.jpg

This unprecedented image of Herbig-Haro object HH 46/47 combines radio observations acquired with the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) with much shorter wavelength visible light observations from ESO’s New Technology Telescope (NTT). The ALMA observations (orange and green, lower right) of the newborn star reveal a large energetic jet moving away from us, which in the visible is hidden by dust and gas. To the left (in pink and purple) the visible part of the jet is seen, streaming partly towards us.
pTJrjAn.jpg

This wide-field view shows a rich region of dust clouds and star formation in the southern constellation of Vela. Close to the center of the picture the jets of the Herbig-Haro object HH 46/47 can be seen emerging from a dark cloud in which infant stars are being born, the image prior to this is a close up of HH 46/47.
mNmqlr3.jpg

This video takes us towards the southern constellation of Vela (The Sails), where we find the bright globular star cluster NGC 3201. This huge and ancient ball of stars has been found to harbor an invisible black hole with four times the mass of the Sun. The final sharp view of the center of the cluster comes from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope.

The OmegaCAM imager on ESO’s VLT Survey Telescope has captured this glittering view of the stellar nursery called Sharpless 29. Many astronomical phenomena can be seen in this giant image, including cosmic dust and gas clouds that reflect, absorb, and re-emit the light of hot young stars within the nebula.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
What would it look like to fly into the Orion Nebula? The exciting dynamic visualization of the Orion Nebula is based on real astronomical data and adept movie rendering techniques. Up close and personal with a famous stellar nursery normally seen from 1,500 light-years away, the digitally modeled representation is based on infrared data from the Spitzer Space Telescope. The perspective moves along a valley over a light-year wide, in the wall of the region's giant molecular cloud. Orion's valley ends in a cavity carved by the energetic winds and radiation of the massive central stars of the Trapezium star cluster. The entire Orion Nebula spans about 40 light years and is located in the same spiral arm of our Galaxy as the Sun.
This visualization explores the Orion Nebula as seen in visible-light observations from the Hubble Space Telescope as opposed to the previous that was an infrared representation.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I understand your ambivalence, but the tourism is necessary to maintain the interest and funding to keep research and other science flying. As long as it is done in as non destructive a manner as possible I think it is necessary. I would like to see some body having authority over it to keep it safe(ish) and non destructive. Completely reusable aircraft is a plus of course.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I see your point, but I am of the thinking that all available resources should be devoted to getting humankind to another planet...it only takes one rogue asteroid/comet/whatever and humanity and human consciousness are gone. I am not against peeps making their money and if helps towards what we should be doing then I have no choice but to support it.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Sigh. We don't need a rogue asteroid, we are destroying the planet ourselves. I would love to live in a world that led with altruism and the reach for community, but that isn't the world we have. We lead with ignorance and avarice and can't even agree that our planet is self destructing due to the way we have treated it. We fight over petty differences and cultural mores and manufactured histories rather than facing realities and working together to accomplish those basic necessary things that might save our future. We just won't fucking do things because they are the right thing to do, we HAVE to find a way to profit from it or somehow get an advantage.
So if you really want to survive our future, you have to find a way to motivate the people who have the resources. And if you have a better idea, I would like to know what it is. Not something you would like, something that can happen.
Forgive me if this sounds harsh, but harsh is only the beginning of what's coming.
Obviously I am not high enough. I can fix that...

Last edited:

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
And that's why I added "whatever" (I, unlike you, was too high to type more, lol). You echo my sentiments and your words sound like a very famous scientist who proposed to turn Voyager around and snap a picture of Earth from 4 billion miles away, the famous Pale Blue Dot....

Every on on the entire planet should read it at least five times and thoroughly understand what it means!

I try and treat my fellow humans with respect and kindness and it was TOTALLY influenced by the above

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
OK, another rich guy has made another suborbital jaunt into space, at least crossing the karman line this time. Of course it is just a carnival ride, straight up and then back down, so it doesn't need to be traveling at high speed. Please don't compare it to Spacex...
Oh oh, I think my feelings are showing. Never the less, it is an accomplishment. And it will excite more people to throw money at space research.

Personally I think Bezos giving $100M to Chef Andre and Van Jones will have more real world impact, but we'll see how it gets used.

west-elec

OK, another rich guy has made another suborbital jaunt into space, at least crossing the karman line this time. Of course it is just a carnival ride, straight up and then back down, so it doesn't need to be traveling at high speed. Please don't compare it to Spacex...
Oh oh, I think my feelings are showing. Never the less, it is an accomplishment. And it will excite more people to throw money at space research.

Personally I think Bezos giving $100M to Chef Andre and Van Jones will have more real world impact, but we'll see how it gets used.

Is there an actual design reason why it had to be circumcised, or is Bezos just sticking one up to us all?

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I'm back from vacation, on to the images and videos!

M82 is a starburst galaxy with a superwind. In fact, through ensuing supernova explosions and powerful winds from massive stars, the burst of star formation in M82 is driving a prodigious outflow. Evidence for the superwind from the galaxy's central regions is clear in sharp telescopic snapshot. The composite image highlights emission from long outflow filaments of atomic hydrogen gas in reddish hues. Some of the gas in the superwind, enriched in heavy elements forged in the massive stars, will eventually escape into intergalactic space. Triggered by a close encounter with nearby large galaxy M81, the furious burst of star formation in M82 should last about 100 million years or so. Also known as the Cigar Galaxy for its elongated visual appearance, M82 is about 30,000 light-years across. It lies 12 million light-years away near the northern boundary of Ursa Major.
TuRGXxP.jpg

What will become of our Sun? The first hint of our Sun's future was discovered inadvertently in 1764. At that time, Charles Messier was compiling a list of diffuse objects not to be confused with comets. The 27th object on Messier's list, now known as M27 or the Dumbbell Nebula, is a planetary nebula, one of the brightest planetary nebulae on the sky -- and visible toward the constellation of the Fox (Vulpecula) with binoculars. It takes light about 1000 years to reach us from M27, featured here in colors emitted by hydrogen and oxygen. We now know that in about 6 billion years, our Sun will shed its outer gases into a planetary nebula like M27, while its remaining center will become an X-ray hot white dwarf star. Understanding the physics and significance of M27 was well beyond 18th century science, though. Even today, many things remain mysterious about planetary nebulas, including how their intricate shapes are created.
vyK74bQ.jpg

In silhouette against a crowded star field along the tail of the arachnalogical constellation Scorpius, this dusty cosmic cloud evokes for some the image of an ominous dark tower. In fact, clumps of dust and molecular gas collapsing to form stars may well lurk within the dark nebula, a structure that spans almost 40 light-years across this gorgeous telescopic portrait. Known as a cometary globule, the swept-back cloud, is shaped by intense ultraviolet radiation from the OB association of very hot stars in NGC 6231, off the upper edge of the scene. That energetic ultraviolet light also powers the globule's bordering reddish glow of hydrogen gas. Hot stars embedded in the dust can be seen as bluish reflection nebulae. This dark tower, NGC 6231, and associated nebulae are about 5,000 light-years away
WVVKLBC.jpg

What does the Andromeda galaxy look like in ultraviolet light? Young blue stars circling the galactic center dominate. A mere 2.5 million light-years away, the Andromeda Galaxy, also known as M31, really is just next door as large galaxies go. Spanning about 230,000 light-years, it took 11 different image fields from NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer (GALEX) satellite telescope to produce this gorgeous portrait of the spiral galaxy in ultraviolet light in 2003. While its spiral arms stand out in visible light images, Andromeda's arms look more like rings in ultraviolet. The rings are sites of intense star formation and have been interpreted as evidence that Andromeda collided with its smaller neighboring elliptical galaxy M32 more than 200 million years ago. The Andromeda galaxy and our own comparable Milky Way galaxy are the most massive members of the Local Group of galaxies and are projected to collide in several billion years -- perhaps around the time that our Sun's atmosphere will expand to engulf the Earth.
3ZxA4vE.jpg

Thor not only has his own day (Thursday), but a helmet in the heavens. Popularly called Thor's Helmet, NGC 2359 is a hat-shaped cosmic cloud with wing-like appendages. Heroically sized even for a Norse god, Thor's Helmet is about 30 light-years across. In fact, the cosmic head-covering is more like an interstellar bubble, blown with a fast wind from the bright, massive star near the bubble's center. Known as a Wolf-Rayet star, the central star is an extremely hot giant thought to be in a brief, pre-supernova stage of evolution. NGC 2359 is located about 15,000 light-years away toward the constellation of the Great Overdog. This remarkably sharp image is a mixed cocktail of data from broadband and narrowband filters, capturing not only natural looking stars but details of the nebula's filamentary structures. The star in the center of Thor's Helmet is expected to explode in a spectacular supernova sometime within the next few thousand years.
Dmil3JR.jpg

ESO's Very Large Telescope has captured a detailed view of a star-forming region in the Large Magellanic Cloud — one of the Milky Way's satellite galaxies. This sharp image reveals two glowing clouds of gas. NGC 2014 (right) is irregularly shaped and red and its neighbor, NGC 2020, is round and blue. These odd and very different forms were both sculpted by powerful stellar winds from extremely hot newborn stars that also radiate into the gas, causing it to glow brightly.
ALx0oNy.jpg

The Milky Way was taken from the Paranal Observatory in Chile's Atacama Desert.
dIZjmo2.jpg

This video sequence starts with a wide view of the Milky Way and slowly zooms in on the Orion Nebula, one of the brightest nearby regions of active star formation. The final view shows a very detailed new view of the stellar nursery from the VLT Survey Telescope.

This pan video shows a richly detailed new view of the Orion Nebula from the VLT Survey Telescope at ESO's Paranal Observatory in Chile. This star formation region comprises glowing clouds of gas, veins of dark dust and many very young stars.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Astronomers spot 1st moon-forming disk around an alien world
This image, taken with the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), in which ESO is a partner, shows wide (left) and close-up (right) views of the moon-forming disc surrounding PDS 70c, a young Jupiter-like planet nearly 400 light-years away. The close-up view shows PDS 70c and its circumplanetary disc center-front, with the larger circumstellar ring-like disc taking up most of the right-hand side of the image. The star PDS 70 is at the center of the wide-view image on the left.
Two planets have been found in the system, PDS 70c and PDS 70b, the latter not being visible in this image. They have carved a cavity in the circumstellar disc as they gobbled up material from the disc itself, growing in size. In this process, PDS 70c acquired its own circumplanetary disc, which contributes to the growth of the planet and where moons can form. This circumplanetary disc is as large as the Sun-Earth distance and has enough mass to form up to three satellites the size of the Moon.
ReifoZE.jpg

Top Bottom