How vested are you in your vape-related paraphernalia?

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I ask this question with all seriousness. Being a recent convert from combustion and a fairly frugal consumer in general, I was just wondering about how others spend their worth on vape related gadgetry.

With me, I started with a fairly cheap MFLB on eBay only to replace it with a warranty unit. Fearing the long wait I bought a new LB locally at a basic discount. We're nearing 2 bills now for 2 new vapes. I like water filtration so the orbiter became the next obsession... 2.5 bills... and of course, I needed to understand concentrates... and a Muad-Dib is added to the collection. And don't forget the cell challenge. And of course there are some ancillary items like DIY hacking and such which are minuscule in cost. So within the month I think I am out a little over 3.5 bills. And I don't have a huge desire to throw more bills at it anytime soon. I am reaching my tolerance limit for wallet depletion.

Mind you that this has been a fun month of exploration and entertainment always cost money. But put me down for a $600 lay-down on a Volcano? It must be a psychology thing but I'm not seeing it happening.

Reading some of you good peeps' sigs I can see some serious investment in this form of entertainment or even medical requirements. For me this is medical but not under a doctor's care. I can just see the day my medical insurance buys me a Volcano and continues to supply the consumables.

Vapers old and new... How do you see your financial experience of vaping? Not looking for justification of the expense, just what exactly allowed your collection to grow... or not grow.

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
I'm medical in a prohibited country, money is tight so I have to keep a close eye on what I spend.

I also am a bit of a minimalist, don't really like clutter or owning too many things I don't use.

DV "M", glass, lighters, misc All up $140 USD ish.

My financial experience of vaping? I'm six months in and the outlay has payed for itself in terms of what I would have spent on combustion. I think the fact that there are good quality budget vapes on offer, made it possible for me to fuck combustion sooner rather than later.

I love :love: the gear I have. Simple & effective, brings me relief and joy.

I suspect that over time, it's inevitable my collection will expand. :uhoh:

olivianewtonjohn

My goto for budget minded friends are used vaporizers. Certain units are well made so there isnt as much risk buying used. Da buddah, silver surfer, arizer products; all can be had cheaply ($30-$100) if you are in the USA. Recently I was vacationing+crashing at a friends house. We both are fresh graduates and not willing to spend too much $ on toys, anyways as a thank you gift I bought him an arizer air off facebook marketplace (has MJ products in legal states, non-legal states gotta stick with craigslist/offerup/letgo). $30 and I am sure it will make a fine first vaporizer for him. I have seen 7th floor desktops like da buddah and silver surfer as low as ~$50, which is incredible considering how simple/reliable they are (not much risk buying used) and the power of the devices.

kimura

I ask this question with all seriousness. Being a recent convert from combustion and a fairly frugal consumer in general, I was just wondering about how others spend their worth on vape related gadgetry.

With me, I started with a fairly cheap MFLB on eBay only to replace it with a warranty unit. Fearing the long wait I bought a new LB locally at a basic discount. We're nearing 2 bills now for 2 new vapes. I like water filtration so the orbiter became the next obsession... 2.5 bills... and of course, I needed to understand concentrates... and a Muad-Dib is added to the collection. And don't forget the cell challenge. And of course there are some ancillary items like DIY hacking and such which are minuscule in cost. So within the month I think I am out a little over 3.5 bills. And I don't have a huge desire to throw more bills at it anytime soon. I am reaching my tolerance limit for wallet depletion.

Mind you that this has been a fun month of exploration and entertainment always cost money. But put me down for a $600 lay-down on a Volcano? It must be a psychology thing but I'm not seeing it happening.

Reading some of you good peeps' sigs I can see some serious investment in this form of entertainment or even medical requirements. For me this is medical but not under a doctor's care. I can just see the day my medical insurance buys me a Volcano and continues to supply the consumables.

Vapers old and new... How do you see your financial experience of vaping? Not looking for justification of the expense, just what exactly allowed your collection to grow... or not grow.

hooo boy. where to start. I'll just break it to you: based on this post, I'm 100% sure you are in the early stages of the condition we affectionately refer to around here as VAS.

I too acquired it from an MFLB, back when it was a fairly new device. I was tasting the herb in a way I didn't think possible, getting more effects out of the same quantity, and, shockingly, BETTER effects. I was spending way less money on herb right away. that allowed me to justify buying another vape, which was when I realized that using better tools allowed me to get a subjectively better experience using the same quantity of herb, and it which was an investment that I'd get to enjoy every day. at that point, it was all over for me

my advice is to do a ton of research. figure out what you really want. then, get what you REALLY want, within the limits of financial responsibility, and try to move on with your life. the net cost of all my vape gear is still less than what I've saved over 9 or 10 years compared to combustion. I still have to deal with seasonal flareups, but higher end gear has allowed me to spend less energy thinking about vaping and more time just enjoying life

good luck :rofl:

:science:

edit: to your question - I justify buying higher end vaping gear like I justify buying a higher end dishwasher: I'm too poor to buy low quality goods. if it's going to piss me off every time I use it, or break, is that really a good value?

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I'm a VAS :rockon: ...whatever that means. It's good right? It's all good!

Be sure that this post is not for justification for my madness; there simply isn't any necessary. This is certainly not my first, second, or even 12th obsession I've survived over the decades. I was hoping to get a few views on how others 'appreciate' their collection be it small or large.

kimura

:rockon:Vaporizer Acquisition Syndrome

for me, they are tools that each have their own specific (but sometimes overlapping) application. it's about having the right tool for the job. there's also something to be said for variety, so you don't get too bored and go buy something. just like there is no "best" vaporizer, I prefer certain vapes for certain situations. I've whittled it down quite a bit though

Gigsabits53

I have watched my collection of vapes and related equipment grow a lot over the last 4 years or so. I have moved it to the hobby category in my life. It seems I like variety, so that means dropping a bunch of money into said hobby:)

When I come here and read about vapes that I do not own, often I'm intrigued. The vast majority of my vaporizers and related equipment were purchased through reading the various threads here at FC. You guys and gals have not steered me wrong yet. :clap:

It's a great hobby, especially if you have some disposable income. If only I had some more of that..:ugh:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I Love going to my medicine cabinet and deciding what kind of vaporizer experience I want to have that evening, and having plenty of different options to choose from.
Aside from the function, a lot of it has an entire artistic side to it. There is a lot of reason to want to collect from that viewpoint as well. Functional art.

ejackyou

Hamilton
If you access Your reasons for vaping along with the performance required,
then buy the best You can afford for the life expectancy you anticipate, :sherlock:
you should be good.
I'm happy with My personal expenditure to date.
I pretty strictly stay to 'medical' vaping. :myday:
But,
It's a personal thing,
Some want a means to an end, some make vaporizing a hobby.
Enjoy spending
Some get caught up in glass and other armamentarium?
Some are 'do it yourselfers', :science:
Some route for the 'underdog' brands?

Looks like you have already chosen your Path?

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
ar·ma·men·tar·i·um
(är′mə-mĕn-târ′ē-əm)
n. pl. ar·ma·men·tar·i·ums or ar·ma·men·tar·i·a (-ē-ə)
1. The complete equipment of a physician or medical institution, including books, supplies, and instruments.
2. The complete range of materials available or used for a task.

Thanks for the new word @ejackyou

Mr. Me2

If you want to avoid vas, do not look at the Nomad

(http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-nomad-from-morwood.21143/)

Or @phattpiggie ’s amazing work

(http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/phattpiggies-wood-shed.22215/page-61#post-1412943)

Or @Aezhenn ’s amazing work

(http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/aezhenn-wood.24078/)

Enough temptation for now. My work here is done... :brow:;)

Okay, I have to add RBT because I’m a new fan of the Splinter

(http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-splinter-by-rbt.23476/)

Last edited:

flammy

What drives my VAS are the artisan vapes. The ones made by one or two man shops and typically constructed of wood. I really like the aesthetics and they are filling a void from a performance standpoint that the mass production guys aren't.

I also don't drink...this is my vice as well as my hobby. Vapes do differ in terms of usage type and performance and I guess you can say that I like variety. LOL...good luck fending off VAS.

If you want to avoid vas, do not look at the Nomad

(http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-nomad-from-morwood.21143/)

Or @phattpiggie ’s amazing work

(http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/phattpiggies-wood-shed.22215/page-61#post-1412943)

Or @Aezhenn ’s amazing work

(http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/aezhenn-wood.24078/)

Enough temptation for now. My work here is done... :brow:;)

Okay, I have to add RBT because I’m a new fan of the Splinter

(http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-splinter-by-rbt.23476/)

So so true.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
<snip>
Looks like you have already chosen your Path?

:) Only begun the journey. True that I chose a steampunk path into this realm and amassed the appropriate shrine of bobbles and shiny bits. However also very true that I must face limitations which in themselves help throttle VAS to a reasonable level. I don't foresee those circumstances changing anytime soon.

I do like DIY - and a home-built log w/halogen heater is already on the drawing board.
I do need something in the quick fix department which DynaVap can quench quickly. This is after all a medical application for me. So my interest in IH heaters, with their utilitarian bonus as a material treatment tool, are high on my list at this point.

But this thread is certainly not meant for my benefit alone. I appreciate the perspectives others share. It is a little like finding a new nuance hidden in the herb at a very specific narrow temperature range. Now that peeks my interests and will definitely entice my VAS.

Gigsabits53

I have several vapes on my radar right now. I just acquired a Flowerpot, which I've been wanting for a long time, but already I'm working on selecting the next one. I like to research several that look interesting to me. So it's definitely a hobby, I mean I have 10-12 vapes now, certainly don't need anymore. I think it's one of my favorite hobbies I've ever had.

Then I have my grinders, scoops, dabbers, and too much other stuff to list. I love all of it! :)

So far the leading candidate for my next vape is the Volcano hybrid. If that's the next one I need to start saving.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
DIY is formal for SBD [standards be damned]

Best practices with minimum meantime to vapor apply. Now where to find that thin wall borosilicate glass... ~1/2" ID to maybe 1/32nd less. That'll fit a 35W bulb. Contacts from the ceramic sockets work fine; socket doesn't. My current data gathering for the project. One of my 'unique-2-me' goals is fast temp and no metal. Fragility be damned... well, that's the current element under consideration. Brain fart! :myday: it also need to hold a very generous load for all day pleasure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom