• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

NFC How to make a basic cannabis salve/lotion

ginolicious

Ingredients:

7-10 grams of ground, dried cannabis (I sometimes use a lot more including AVB and Kief)
1 ½ cups of coconut oil
1/3 cup olive oil (optional)
1/3 cup beeswax
1 baking sheet
1 saucepan (or double boiler)
1 jar
1 cheesecloth
A few drops of essential oil (your choice)

I usually add a crap ton of AVB as filler as well plus some kief if I have it. Need wax I usually just grab a small bar and use that. I don’t measure 1/3 cup specifically.

Steps:

Preheat your oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit and spread your dried ground cannabis on a baking sheet. When the oven is preheated, decarboxylate your cannabis in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Not sure of how I feel about decarbing for a lotion. I do it anyways. But I have read you do not need to do it.

While your cannabis is in the oven, place your coconut and olive oil in the saucepan or double boiler over low heat and stir continuously.

Remove your decarboxylated cannabis from the oven and mix it into the coconut oil. Maintain a low heat and continue stirring the cannabis and oil mixture for 20 to 25 minutes.

Note: Keep the heat very low, especially when using a saucepan and not a double boiler–if the heat gets too high, you’ll scorch the cannabis and burn off the THC, decreasing the oil’s potency. This is especially pertinent if you’re using olive oil in your recipe, as olive oil has a lower smoke point than other oils.

After 25 minutes, remove from heat and pour the mixture through a cheesecloth into the jar. Set aside.

In the same saucepan or double boiler, add the beeswax and heat until it is melted. As the beeswax melts, slowly add the infused coconut oil.

You can also add essential oils to your mixture–we recommend lavender, peppermint, or tea tree oils. Just a few drops will do. I use wintergreen personally.

Once the beeswax and coconut oils are thoroughly mixed, remove from heat and transfer into containers for your infused salve.

Your finished product will look like this: After it solidifies that is.
08F55FBA-B15E-4A52-9E5F-605345A2A9A9.jpeg

ginolicious

Fascinating! Thanks for this. What do you use the salve for?

I rub it on my body for joint aches and pains. I usually use CBD for it, 20% CBD strain. But as for my next batch I’m adding THC into it as well and may skip the decarbing step for hopefully a more potent cream. It’s a natural form of Deep Cold or Rub A 535. Use it on my neck, back, elbows. Everywhere to be honest.

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
I rub it on my body for joint aches and pains. I usually use CBD for it, 20% CBD strain. But as for my next batch I’m adding THC into it as well and may skip the decarbing step for hopefully a more potent cream. It’s a natural form of Deep Cold or Rub A 535. Use it on my neck, back, elbows. Everywhere to be honest.

Everywhere? :brow:

Whisper

@ginolicious I make a similar lotion that I did debox and I use it on my feet and legs. The problem was the dog licking my feet and legs, would get trashed. So, I stopped using it temporarily and made some with scruffy stuff not deboxed. She still licks but, the result is she's more relaxed and less passed out. But, she's old and achy and really looks forward to her "treat" after lunch. I don't know if it's in my mind or not, but it helps me. And for that I'm thankful.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You can whip it with a kitchen mixer into a body butter type consistency, just google "whipped coconut oil"
Everybody liked my topicals best when I did that, still have a giant jar floating around, this stuff really lasts a long time. IMO maybe the best use of ABV, much rather use it in here than cooking with it.

However, when I was really researching making these I learned that regular coconut oil is considered "comedogenic" - meaning it has a tendency to clogs pores and is not the best carrier for absorption. So go figure?

invertedisdead,
Reactions: Whisper

ginolicious

Making the salve with the coconut oil is so convenient. You add bees wax to it to turn it into a topical ointment. Or you mix the coconut oil with some gelatin etc to make gummies.

ginolicious,
Reactions: Whisper

chaos_theory

The Dude abides
We have been looking into this as well for a cancer patient and friends daughter (young adult) who suffers from muscular dystrophy. One thing to realize from what we have learned through reading some published info is that for topicals you want THC-A which has inflammatory benefits. Activated THC, the variation that has been decarboxylated using heat, while it will still work for pain relief, you may receive even more benefits from raw cannabis infusions keeping THC-A intact.

You can do this by using the most fresh, least cured flower possible and not performing the decarboxylation process . Also monitor your infusion process temperature to never exceed 190°F/87°C. This should be sufficient for the fats to absorb the THC-A but not convert to THC(∆)

If you are really concerned about color and smell, you will need to perform a filtering process on the oil to remove the plant matter. Something as simple as a 220 or 190 micron filter bag will help tremendously there.

You can read up on studies such as this one about THCA being recommended for anti-inflammatory use:

or your neighboorhood friendly Wikipedia:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Also monitor your infusion process temperature to never exceed 190°F/87°C. This should be sufficient for the fats to absorb the THC-A but not convert to THC(∆)

THCA will still convert at those temperatures, it just takes longer. You should be fine as long as you don't do a super long infusion, I'm just mentioning it as I know some folks do tend to do very long infusions.

chaos_theory

The Dude abides
For sure, absolutely agree there and your right. The temperature monitoring is mitigation to prevent as much conversion as possible during the processing.

Most of my comment was in regards to trying to not use ABV or decarb your material if possible for additional benefits for topical use. At least give it a try to see how it medicates and works for you.

A lot reference this study which indicates the least amount of conversion to be under 100° C:

ginolicious

I’ve read several reports of using decarbed bud. And others saying not to. My next batch I make is going to have thc weed in it. And I may skip the decarbing for both the CBD and THC bud and just infuse then oil that way.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Most of my comment was in regards to trying to not use ABV or decarb your material if possible for additional benefits for topical use. At least give it a try to see how it medicates and works for you.

A lot reference this study which indicates the least amount of conversion to be under 100° C:

I definitely think THCA is underresearched, I posted recently on here that THCA is really the "elephant in the room" cannabinoid as it has shown to be as effective as CBD if not more effective for many conditions.

When I make my cannacapsules I like to add in some non decarbed rosin to the rosin that I have already activated to expand the potential therapeutic spectrum.

Appreciate that link, I had not see that literature yet. My familiarity with low temp THCA conversions mostly comes from liquid live resin oil cartridges: they melt the crystals down until the THCA turns into THC oil while retaining all the terpenes - just from a low and slow decarb with the lid on.

ginolicious

I am going to let you all know how my next batch works. Almost out of my current CBD cream. Gonna make more if I can secure some beeswax. Probably do 1/2 Oz of CBD and then a 1/2 OZ of a 1:1 ratio to get that thc in the mix. Won’t decarb or toss abv. Will toss in some kief as usual though. Gonna has more bid for the same amount of beeswax and coconut oil. Looking for that potent cream. Might be a month or two till I get around to doing it though.

Whisper

@chaos_theory This could be why the dog responds so well to the oil now. It isn't being deboxed and I had it cooking with an induction heater, so it could be the perfect effect for her. She has the energy sometimes like a pup, but, we worry she'll hurt herself playing. But, she also sleeps well, she's about 15 and she's pretty much my companion all the time. Good links, thx people.

ginolicious

I’ve only ever done this with CBD. I think I will he making a round with THC. And possibly both THC and CBD. Looking at adding aloe Vera and Shea butter to the salve to turn it into a lotion instead.

shredder

We make canna salves, but we don't stop with cannabis as an active ingredient.

I've added catnip buds that I dried and processed just like cannabis, cannabis roots infused over several days in a crock pot, comfrey, lavender oil, clove oil, and others.

It's ok to think out of the box here, and few restrictions on diy salves, lotions or rubs.

I always wanted to try hot peppers but haven't just yet. Capsaicin can help sore muscles. Think tiger balm.

shredder

I am going to be doing another run soon. Going to use same reciepe use double the amount of pot. Hopefully make it more potent.

Strong is good. My last batch had 12 ml of RSO and 5 grams of cbd rosin. In roughly 3/4 of a gallon of coconut oil and a few handfuls of beeswax. Lavender oil and catnip were also added as I noted earlier.

I filled a bunch of tins and gave them out for Christmas. And I get requests for more frequently.

People like it for a wide variety of things. Some fairly surprising. Headaches as one example.

Last edited:

BHOMG

Gotta give this a try, thanks for sharing! Adding to my long bookmarked bucket list of cannabis stuff to try...too many cool ideas here. :p

BHOMG,

ginolicious

After some research. I suggest using a crap ton of essential oil as well. Wintergreen is great for pain. And eucalyptus.

I have a cream. Made in Canada. It’s all natural. It’s like deep cold. And works well. No cannabis. But the one thing I noticed is it has a shit ton of wintergreen. Tea tree oil I think. And eucalyptus. So instead of using a few drops in the salve or lotion. Use a crap ton more. It’ll be pungent. But it’ll probably work a lot better then my current recipe that only has a few drops.

Top Bottom