How to handle the inevitable dry spells

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I have been down the self sufficiency path on several ocassions and the first thing is it takes lots of work and can be heart breaking when things go wrong. Of course the rewards are huge but it comes with sevral trade-offs

- Lots of work. They don't grow on there own and if your not committed you will fail or at least come up short of expectatons.
- Paranioa. Loss lips sink ships so I alway kept a policy of telling NO ONE! But you worry about neighbours ... do they notice the extra 'activity' ?... is there light leaking? ... can they smell it?

I have pretty good green thumbs and for years had 2 strains turning over half a pound every 8 weeks but lack of odor control and nosy stoner friends I gave it in. have been back into it twice since using modern day high powered Florescents but many things conspired against me and it just became easier to buy it.

These days I spend 10 hours a week (on top of my regular job) teaching and playing guitar and that gives me guilt free spends on herbals.

vaporcloud,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
vtac man, rant away. Isn't that why we come to a place like this: so people won't shun us or tune us out? We all share a passion here, obviously, so it's the best place to let it all loose. I for one would love to listen to you rant! Seem like a pretty smart dude. Besides, I'm a tad prone to ranting myself...so it's sort of tit for tat, you know? :lol:

It really is mind boggling though...I sometimes loose myself in laughter when I really think about it. I sit and look at the beautiful flowers, inhale the pungent smell and dream about the perfect world where all people would simply understand what a beautiful gift nature has provided us. I loose myself in laughter not because I think the situation we're in is funny, clearly it isn't, but rather because I just find it so absurd that people actually believe they even have the right to outlaw nature. We didn't make this plant, it's not a product or a pharmaceutical, it's not distilled or packaged, bottled or what have you...it just is. It would presumably be there even if we were not. Cannabis is tied to humans through our shared history, but NO plant really depends on us...we depend on them. Plain and simple things would not be as they are now if plants didn't come first. Sure, there'd probably be some type of life...but it wouldn't be us. We literally depended on plants to pave the way for our existence. So...how some group of people came together and said "This area of nature is off limits. Whether it is found growing in the wild or whether you adopt a plant and bring it inside, it is 100% off limits and it can't provide any good to anybody, anyhow" is just totally beyond me. I think it's appallingly arrogant, but so is much of the history of our human engagement with the natural world. We so often see ourselves as isolated, and so rarely see where we fit into the bigger picture. What is it they say? No man is an island. Seeeeee? Now I'm ranting. Look at what you started vtac. :rolleyes:

By the way...I didn't bring this up, but all I EVER wear is a french maid outfit, so I figure we're pretty set. I thought it might disturb max a little bit, but thought if I just showed up on his doorstep that way then hey, what could he say right? Did I mention it is made of latex? :uhoh:

vapor_cloud, I couldn't agree with you more about the difficulty of "self-sufficiency". It is certainly not for everybody. As a plant person I will say that MJ is one of the more time intensive, specialized crops you can grow...but it really does all depend on your individual situation. I think a personal sized garden is something even the vegetatively inept could handle, with a little planning and practice. It's late and I'm about to smoke my pipe and get to bed (I know, I know...but still no PD and I sure as hell won't be breaking out the Crapir...oops, did I say that? Of course I meant VAPIR) so I'm not going to rant and get into the pros/cons of growing (short version: the pros highly, highly outweigh the cons IMO)...maybe I'll comment tomorrow or something. But I will repeat something that I heard said on another forum, and which is so true and a good analogy for what growing MJ is like.

This is not a direct quote, just "the gist" from my memory:

Cannabis is like one of those spoiled rich girls. It likes expensive food, bright warm sunshine (think hanging out on the beach all day), and demands that you pamper it endlessly. But we do it all and more because we don't know any better and we're dumbstruck by its beauty.

Meh...it sounded like a better analogy in my memory, I'm sure. The point is that Cannabis CAN be extremely time and labour intensive...I will argue that it does not absolutely have to be. It is called weed for a reason, after all...

partially veiled,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Man, I ruminate on the sheer absurdity of it all the time. Just one of the many fucked up things people accept without question. But I mean, not a fun thing to dwell on all the time, so I just go back to being part of the problem and have fun as a lazy stoner.

It is sad to think that this planet might be better off without us. But nature will live on long after we've fucked ourselves into oblivion. I guess they might as well just ban nature right now. :rolleyes: Damnit, now you got me going again.

I like your analogy, pretty girls are high maintenance, but once you get the hang of it you can make them do what you want. I'd love nothing more than to pamper some beautiful girls, just not the right time. :\

By the way...I didn't bring this up, but all I EVER wear is a french maid outfit...
I like this guy. :D

vtac,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Did I mention it is made of latex?
hahaha some funny shit there. Fucken Welcome to this forum PV. Rant away bro ... its a good read ... and I like you anology of MJ being a spoiled kid. This is very true but sometimes she likes you to be cruel to be kind too ... so she does have a kinky side. ;)

vaporcloud,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I tried a pinch of my leftovers from the box vape thru the PD this morning and got 2 nice hits from one bowl. Not super tasty but not foul tasting at all and when the green is all gone this will fill the void nicely.

vaporcloud,

max

Out to lunch
By the way...I didn't bring this up, but all I EVER wear is a french maid outfit, so I figure we're pretty set. I thought it might disturb max a little bit, but thought if I just showed up on his doorstep that way then hey, what could he say right? Did I mention it is made of latex?
I might take you up on that employment opportunity, but you'd have to change your avatar before I could even start to think about it. I keep seeing this picture in my head of Frank Zappa in a latex french maid's outfit. :uhoh:

I think this one would get you more interest. :brow:

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Well, she's stunning. I'll definitely give you that. Afraid I can't drop the Zappa, however. It's pretty much what I look like, big nose and all. No mustachio though...yet :brow:. So I'm afraid I'll be keeping it, but I'll try to meet you half way.

Hot, or not??? :lol:

Did I mention that I tend to sing "Dancing Queen" by ABBA over and over again while cleaning? Now just envision it: perhaps Frank Zappa, in a dress or a maybe even latex maid's uniform, dusting and cleaning and singing "Dancing Queen". Uhhhhhh...I think that's a scene from Terry Gilliam's Brazil...:lol:

I'm cursing the (local) Holiday on Monday, the PD should be here sometime next week, early I hope. But no service on Monday!! Apparently, the pipe still works...see above. :rolleyes:

partially veiled,

Cannabudz

apprentice shaman
Nice comment's happening here, i'm with partially veiled's posts(except the last one:lol:) From what i can understand this keeping the magic herb thing from us has been goin on in some form or another for thousands of years (basically social control) where the "organised"high priests have kept thier secrets and withheld access of sacred plants, it's a shame religions aren't as subject to extinction as animals and plants, but you never know this whole internet thing might take off educating and organising people to overthrow these evil bastards, seperation of church and state fucken bullshit it never happened:disgust:

Cannabudz,

Cannabudz

apprentice shaman
Ive' grown cannabis on and off over the years indoors HID 400 watt light's and outdoors on the side's of mountains in the middle of lantana(great cover it's fucken horrible shit) and it doesn't need to be that complicated, although good and bad happens.

Public Housing being what it is, prevents me from taking the risk right now(prick's) but some old habit's never die, if i had enough seed i'd spread it everywhere and make it go viral so no one would ever have to pay money for Holy cannabis again.

$320 per ounce for Holy Cannabis is Blasphemy, so is calling it a dangerous drug, fucken cheats and liars, It's just a shame Hell is a ficticous place

Cannabudz,

Cannabudz

apprentice shaman
Edit, no forget the mullein for me(vaping anyway) Vape oil may get you thru that dry spell Nicely, Thank fuck for ISO

Cannabudz,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
I have a great movie about the legal history of marijuana in the US. It is narrorated by Woody Herrelson. It is about an hour long, but well worth the watch. Pretty informative, and very intertaining. Takes a bit of a sarcastic punch at the paranoia. Let me know, and I'll upload it to sendspace. Then pass the link in a thread or here

DD

DigitalDavinci,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
Also...sickstones. I never hear of your experiance with the legal buds. Were they any good? Glad to see you still got your Extreme. I think the PD is more my speed and price range, but the EX is a cool looking vape man.

Any comments on the legal herb would be greatly appriceiated. Maybe I am in the wrong thread? Not sure...don't want to step on anyones toes

Thanks,
DD

DigitalDavinci,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Hey DD I've vapped some of the legal blends - Spice Gold (SG), Dream and Sense and they definitly work ... get you stoned ... make your eyes red ... but its not as overall as ncie as MJ or as euphoric. But have a couple of dry days and vape a bowl or 3 of SG and I gaurantee you'll get wacked! I hear good things about Spice Diamond ... suppose to be twice the grunt of SG with added euphoria. Not the cheapest but you get exactly the amount you paid for and one thing I really liekd about SG was how long it lasted. You certainly get wasted for a long time.

A good site to check out is thegalaxylounge.org ... its a forum with heaps of product reviews and links you directly to SW420 who sell all the blensd in North America.

vaporcloud,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I never did the legal herb thing...got some mj just in time.

I would love to see your movie, DD.

stickstones,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
Cool vaporcloud...thank you. I was thinking of substuting the legals for the reals to help cut back, but at the same price...I'll probally just keep it for the rainy days. As sickstones knows...it always rains. Figuratively and literally. Thanks for chimming in though. I've always wanted to see if they work. I'll order some tonight, for looking at my nug jar...dry times may be ahead. :( Saving for the PD and all. :brow: Maybe I'll mix the duff (I don't know who made that word up, but it's perfect for spent bud) and the legals to see what happens. :cool:

Sicktones...I didn't realise the movie file size is 450 MB, but the movie is called "GRASS" made in 1999 (IMDB.com). It is worth taking the time to download, but most of whom I tell never get around to taking the time. Here is the forum that has the rapidshare links if you are interested in waiting for the DL... http://alternativemovies.blogspot.com/2007/06/grass-1999.html You can always watch part 1 while the other parts are DLing. Not too sure if you have used rapidshare, but just copy/paste the url, and select free user. About 100MB each and there is 7 parts. Worth it I promise. Woody Harrelson is a nice touch, but the truth is the real star. :2c:

DD

PS: I'm trying to find a file sharring website that allows 400 MB DL, so I'll let you know.

DigitalDavinci,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
vaporcloud...25$/gram seems a bit steep for a high. As the topic is how to handle a dry season...I give the diamond a whirl. Not too sure about this one, but then again I said that about vapeing. :rolleyes: So I'll order it soon, and give it a try to see if it IS a viable way to "get by" durring the dry times. I'll have to wait till some money comes in, but within a week I'll order it. I guess I'd be a good canidate to test as I just went through 7 grams of highs in a week. I'm a decent size guy, slow metabolism, and been smoking for a looong time. If it works on me, yourself, and the other here that have tried (tolerance guessed ;) ) then the chances are it will work on whomever. I'll keep you all posted when I get around to ordering it.

DD

DigitalDavinci,

Missedthe60s

hey guys, being a new user I just wanted to say I've really enjoyed this thread - everyone knows dry spells are the worst. my 2 cents is to keep all your used (ie vaped) chron in a tupperware container. then when the fiend in you comes out and you don't have anything to satisfy him, fire up whatever vape you use to a high setting and re-run some of what you've got. obviously not as good as the real thing, but it's somethin! and you king of feel like you're recycling :)

Missedthe60s,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
hi Missedthe60s :wave: Welcome to the forum

DD I too was a skeptic after trying 2 lots of 'legal buds' but the blends seem to be different. This is why there are lots of people questioning a 'secret' ingrediant.

Spice Gold certainly took me by surprise ... but was having a long dry spell ... long being around 10 days. I did find the tolernace build up was quite quick and its not that pleasant to smoke/vape unless you like the taste of vanilla. I found it the most enjoyable going straight during the week :uhoh: and vapping SG Fri >>> Sunday. A 3g bag would last the weekend and you dry out pretty fast so I was getting very wasted the first few sessions. I have trouble sleeping the first night if I have had a break from weed and then get really fucked up and SG had the same effect.

I only used SG for about 6 weeks before my pound was ready :D but they were good times. Its not the cheapest ... but neither is a pound of bud :ninja:

**edit**

I havent tried SD but I'm looking forward to it. But I've got a fair amount of re-vapping to do. Almost makes me look forward to the next dry spell.

vaporcloud,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
On yeah ... the only reason I didn't smoke the legal blends everyday was simply the cost. 3 days for a 3g baggie ... once tolerances build up its not hard to consume 3 bags in a week. The wife quite liked SG as well ;) haha the price of SG has dropped with SD now on the market and all the spice-alikes. Fuck the Spiceworld420 have the galaxy range ... Planet-X, Spike-99, Big bang etc so there is some competiton and the price is dropping.

Sorry I don't want to go on about the blends to much coz I love MJ ... but I did find them effective.

vaporcloud,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
Nice vaporcloud...thanks for the mini review. I'm not planning on switching over to leagal budz or anything...been going steady with MJ for far too long. :p It is nice to know it is an option though. I'm actually ready to finish my last bowl as I'm typing, and then it is to duff and kief. God smoking the duff is nasty shit man. Sickstones is right on that one. Need to get my PD soon. Only 23 more days!

I think the 3 gram amount is a better buy, and I'll be purchasing that one. My supplier has told me friday of next week for my monthly shipment. :rolleyes: Guess I'll order the SD (Spice Diamond) today and hopefully I'll get it in early next week. Give it a try. I'm rather excited to try SD myself. It would be cool to get a smoking buzz in public for a change. We'll see. The idiot uninformed in Florida would probally think it is reefer anyways if it wasn't for vanilla. Not too excited about that aspect. "Vanilla" is one of my least favorite smells. The fake variety at least, hense the "". Either way...I'll keep ya informed on the buzz when I get it.

Missedthe60s...WELCOME!!! Love the screen name. :D I'm going to be trying your method with some kief tonight for the first time. Have to smoke it though. :disgust: The vape I bought was a cheap Chineesee knock off, and after taking it apart...well the parts are horriblly unsafe to heat to the temps I needed. Thank you for the re-vape tip. What type of vape do you use Missedthe60s? I'm saving for my Purple-Days vape as I type. Only 23 more days!!!!

Just had to say it again. :lol: Got something special on order for the "grand unvailling" from Vancouver :cool: Loves me some maple leaf kindness. :brow:

DD

DigitalDavinci,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thats great DD! I would love fire up my Genie in public with some SG. Let me know if you think that would work.

stickstones,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
Will do sickstones. Just pressed the buy button, so I figure I'll get it in 3 - 4 days (Mon or Tues) If sooner...all the better if you know what I mean. :/ Sorry I couldn't upload the "grass" video BTW. Guess I should check file sizes before I mention things. Like my wife says..."What happens between your brain and your mouth?" :lol: . Got to love that sarcastic Northern Ireland sense of humor. :D

Man dry spells suck, and I haven't even started mine yet. Damn bust in the area cleared out the largest amount seen in my parts today. :disgust: Damn narcs always make it tough to buy regularly. Well like this thread states that you started...How to handle the inevitable dry spells. I'll find out trust me :p

DD

DigitalDavinci,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Hey guys...this is not going to be the most popular of suggestions, probably. It won't work for everyone, but it's really simple and it works for me and my relationship with this plant. Simply treat Cannabis like a foodstuff and put away some now, when the times are fat, for later when your stash has run thin. I know this isn't exactly a solution for "dry spells", but it depends on what you mean. The only type of dry spells I worry about around here are the "big" ones. For instance, at this time of year everything tends to halt up for about a month and a half. There's many reasons but it's a little revealing and unnecessary for me to go into details here; sufficed to say I've been in this game long enough to know that the herb is always going to be scarce at this time of year. So, if you're talking about what to do when the bud dries up altogether, then this is what I'm addressing. Other than that "dry spells" are simply not in my vocabulary. So yeah, what I tend to do is package and store buds for a rainy day. When there's a lot going around, I get a little more and stash it away (properly prepared of course--vacuum packed most of the time) in the fridge. Think of it like a bank account; if you put that little, small amount aside each time you "make a transaction", well quickly that "little bit" will grow into a lot, and if you KEEP doing it then soon you'll have surplus, and if there ever comes a point where your situation changes, you loose your contacts or whatever, then at least you'll have some "glide time". It's the same principal as growing: you simply have to learn discipline when it comes to consumption. Having a lot of "extra" bud around can be tempting, but if you're a serious toker then the "saving it for a rainy day" philosophy makes a WHOLE lot of sense...

Anyway, like I said I'm sure this is not exactly what you guys were talking about but I dunno, this is what I do and it works exceedingly well for me, in my current situation. With the added bonus being that if Armageddon were to descend upon us tomorrow, I'd still be up to my ankles in good quality smoke for at least two months! Hahaha :p

partially veiled,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
Also sickstones...I think a VG legal hit on the peir, beach, or park would be an awsome experiance. Unfortunately in a public place...you and your pipe will be under too much scrutiny, and unless you've never smoked the illegals in the VG yet (which I'm sure you have ;) ) residue would show up if some ass decided to narc and a test was taken. Try to explain to someone who already thinks pot is "evil" that you are smoking legal herb out of a vaporizer, and watch the eye glaze over in confusion. When stupid people are confused they get angry in my experiance. :lol: :2c:

DD

DigitalDavinci,
Top Bottom