How to clean j-hook?

Old_muel

Love my single elev8 j-hook I've had for ages & somehow managed to never break (touch wood), but dont use it as much as I'd like coz cleaning is too much of a pain in the arse coz ive never found a satisfactory method, there's gotta be an easy way how do you guys do it? Iso is kinda expensive & a bit hard to come by in high purity locally though i do plan on ordering some bulk online & simply soaking in a large container of iso as that has to be the easy method really so I guess I've anwered my own question there lol I'm planning on getting an extra hook & to start soaking + rotating them but I'd like to hear about any other methods for the meantime maybe using less or no iso. Any other qtip alternatives that can actually get down into the corner/bend to scrub it? Last time i cleaned it it was way overdue with a thick coating of goodness & I used hot coconut oil (plugged ends with fingers & shook) & made edibles which worked great but sadly I've combusted this time so that's not really an option (eew). Whatcha got for me?

Old_muel,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Check out PBW, powdered brewer's wash (I think that's what it is called).
If your glass has any applicaes or coloring applied, PBW may affect those adversely.

Edit, It's Powder Brewery Wash.

Other than that, it works very well, with a little technique...

There are several threads that discuss glass cleaning..but a lot of sorting through..

Last edited:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I like to toss my smaller glass pieces in a bag filled with ISO (I use a heat sealer to seal both ends of the bag) then I place it in my ultrasonic cleaner (water heated to around 50c) and run the cleaner for 5 minute cycles - nothing is more satisfying than watching all the grime vaporize into a cloud.

I do the same with my screens - put them in a bag of ISO and then into the ultrasonic cleaner for a few cycles.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
The elev8 j-hook doesn't appear to be very complex in hard to reach places. Soaking in 93+ iso works the best for me. Adding salt does improve the process. If iso is scarce then saving and reusing works great for a while.

I don't know how dirty you let your hook get, but I don't wait until it gets large amounts of reclaim buildup. When it starts looking a little grungy I add add a little iso, put my thumbs on either opening and shake for 1-2 minutes. Usually it's enough to dissolve anything and a run under hot tap water is enough to finish the job. I only soak for long periods of time when the piece has lots of twists and turns or if it is really gunked up. If you got a few long stemmed swabs you could maybe reach the hard to clean areas.

howie105

The worst piece I ever cleaned was a heavily used Plenty cooling coil that had sat unused for a coupler of years. I did a few stove top steep and rinses with water and then finished it off with ISO. Good Luck

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
Fill with a small amount of ISO and salt (optional) and then use caps or plugs to keep it in there. Shake a bit and let it sit. Repeat till clean and then rinse with water. Caps/Plugs can be purchased or DIY'd (cling wrap and rubber band).

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
It's like any other glass, easiest to use alcohol, doesn't even need to soak depending how dirty maybe for a bit, less so if you are using coarse salt to shake and scrub with it, you could also just scrub it with brushes, hot water, and there are other cleaners of course... Yeah it's a simple basic J hook so it should clean pretty quick and easy! If you are going to get a spare hook, you might consider a different style as there is a lot of variety for them now (check the J hook thread in the glass section)

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

Dr. G

Old Resident
I got myself this set up because I was tired of using so much ISO. I still use lots but, now less. On Amazon, I purchased a test tube holder (24 holes), a pair of test tube 'plyer holder' to hold the stems. I heat to a boil my tea kettle. The water is boiling, I hold the stem over my sink, over a sponge just in case it falls. Then, I pour the very hot water through, turn it around and repeat. I take my plyer holder and place the stem in the test tube holder to dry. They are standing up and the water drains out. Next day, they are dry and ready.

Dr. G,
Reactions: Hippie
Top Bottom