How to change wattage in Ni mode of Vaporesso swag mod?

~Elizabeth~

~fucking combustion since June 1st, 2022~
Hello friends! Hoping for some help, if you are able to offer it...

l'm using a divine tribe tank on this mod: https://www.vaporesso.com/vape-batteries-mods/swag and for the life of me cannot figure out how to change the wattage while in Ni mode. l was able to cycle through the modes and got to wattage, where l changed it to my desired 33w. But then when l switch back to Ni mode for the temp control part, it resets my wattage back to 75w. l'm not sure how to get it to stick with what l enter when l go back to Ni mode lol. l've tried to change the wattage while in Ni mode but it will only permit me to change just the temp.

l found a manual for it here: https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf7/1...swag_kit.pdf?d1a3f952c2735b733f946456aff60241 and nowhere on it did l see wattage even mentioned. l've watched a number of tutorials on YouTube that were quite helpful up until the point where l'm now stumbling.

Appreciate the help!

~Elizabeth~,
Reactions: LesPlenty

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I’m not familiar with that mod at all, but I don’t think that’s how mods generally work? Wattage is 0 control over the temp. It fires at your set power and the coil gets as hot as it gets. It’s sort of like using an unregulated vape or mod.

Ni I believe is intended for nickel coils—presumably there is a tcr algorithm pre-configured for the resistance of nickel (or some other temp control algorithm based on physical properties of Ni). Since the mod has a mechanism to gauge the temp, it controls the wattage for you to try to keep the coils firing at the temp you’ve selected. Does that make sense? Aside from maybe settting a max or initial wattage there’s really no reason to set a wattage in a temp control mode.

~Elizabeth~

I’m not familiar with that mod at all, but I don’t think that’s how mods generally work?
oh l feel like such a goof xD l had no idea, l'm brand new to all this
Wattage is 0 control over the temp. It fires at your set power and the coil gets as hot as it gets. It’s sort of like using an unregulated vape or mod.

Ni I believe is intended for nickel coils—presumably there is a tcr algorithm pre-configured for the resistance of nickel (or some other temp control algorithm based on physical properties of Ni). Since the mod has a mechanism to gauge the temp, it controls the wattage for you to try to keep the coils firing at the temp you’ve selected. Does that make sense?
aside from not knowing what tcr stands for (temp control something?) yes haha that makes sense...ty for explaining that for me. The Ni mode is actually what the v4wiki recommends for all 3 types of coils interestingly enough
Aside from maybe settting a max or initial wattage there’s really no reason to set a wattage in a temp control mode.
Couldn't you like use lower watts to create the same temp and conserve battery or coil life? Or am l overcomplicating things lol
Exactly as @gordontreeman said – it's either temp control (Ni mode) or wattage.
ty for the confirmation :D

~Elizabeth~,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Couldn't you like use lower watts to create the same temp and conserve battery or coil life?

You could in theory, but then you'd have to accept slower heat up times. A TCR mode (=Temperature coefficient of resistance) basically tries to get the coil to a certain temperature based on the resistance of the used wire material (each metal has different TCRs). The goal is to create an even vapor temperature that does not rely on your draw, thus creating a more streamlined experience. Slower heat up times would interfere that approach, the temp management tries to reach a set temp as quick as possible.

gordontreeman

Couldn't you like use lower watts to create the same temp and conserve battery or coil life? Or am l overcomplicating things lol

I think @Siebter already responded about the TCR acronym and this point--sure, you could, but any decent temp control algorithm will handle this for you. Plus if you're inhaling out of a huge glass piece where you've got a lot of mechanical advantage pulling more air over the coils you want the extra headroom to maintain your set temperature--e.g. I rarely go over 30W with my Tetra P80 even with the temp set to 430 degrees, but if I'm hitting a giant bong I do because so much more air is being pulled past the coils to replace the air in the bong that I'm inhaling.

Hippie

It should be possible with the Omni2 chip/board
I keep seeing this line, from their bumf (blindly copied and pasted again and again)
"
  • In TC-Ni/TC-Ti/TC-SS/TCR (M1, M2) mode:
In TC-Ni/TC-Ti/TC-SS mode, the OMNI Board 2.0 allows you to change the startup wattage under temperate control mode.
"
Altho I don't have one to check for you unfortunately
And as you've discovered yourself, the YouTube advertisers just don't do TC lol

So I'd try TCR mode at about .0060 as a work around

gordontreeman

All due respect @Hippie but that seems like bad advice based on a misunderstanding of terminology or the way mods work. The start up wattage is, as Siebter and I were suggesting, the max amount of power the mod will use to reach whatever temp you’ve told it to get to. Changing the resistance in tcr mode changes how that temperature is read (and consequently how the algorithm stays at a set temp).

Changing the start up wattage in a temp-controlled mode has very little practical benefits (aside from maybe some battery savings). Changing the resistance to an arbitrary value isn’t a “work around” for being unable to change the start up wattage, it’s completely changing the temp control algorithm.

If I were op I’d not worry about the start up wattage at all.

Hippie

And with all due respect to yourself in return but .....
I'm sorry it's you who is mixed up and confused by the terminology
I only replied to this thread as I found the guessing game you guys are playing a bit dumb to be honest.

Reducing the starting wattage will reduce the chances of overshooting the desired temp in TC mode.
And
I did not suggest changing the resistance - please stop guessing when it comes to terms you don't understand.
What I am suggesting is to try using TCR mode with a TCR value of 0.006 .... And seeing if you can adjust the wattage to a more sensible value in that mode, as a work around.

Check out some of my previous box mod ramblings in the Stempod and Splinter threads to bring yourself up to speed ;)

gordontreeman

Sorry, maybe I am misunderstanding--isn't the TCR value directly setting the resistance (or having the mod read it if it features that functionality) when you aren't using coils built with one of the presets (e.g. NI)? If that’s not what you meant maybe you should more accurately explain what you mean so the op understands which setting to change, as I don’t think it’s clear either, but I assume you meant the tcr coefficient.

Regardless unless your mod is using a pretty crummy temp control algorithm I don't personally see a need to futz around with the starting wattage. If you overshoot the desired temp it will be for a split second and the mod will correct back down to the correct value, but I guess if the PID algorithm your mod uses is really misconfigured maybe there is some value in what you're saying. I've never seen any reason to mess with it, and I don't think we were playing any guessing games aside from describing the differences between wattage mode and a temp control mode.

Last edited:

Hippie

No

Just read one of the guides on the subject (so you can stop guessing and assuming :lol:) .....

gordontreeman

I’m familiar with tcr set ups, but I guess I had not heard of the “pop” associated with too high of a starting wattage. I guess the devices I use have enough resistance to be okay with 75W in that split second 🤷‍♂️.

~Elizabeth~

You could in theory, but then you'd have to accept slower heat up times. A TCR mode (=Temperature coefficient of resistance) basically tries to get the coil to a certain temperature based on the resistance of the used wire material (each metal has different TCRs). The goal is to create an even vapor temperature that does not rely on your draw, thus creating a more streamlined experience. Slower heat up times would interfere that approach, the temp management tries to reach a set temp as quick as possible.
ohhh, so then you'd be cooking the crap out of it and killing precious terpenes. So it's sounding like Ni mode is a kind of TCR mode... or are these 2 separate things entirely? When you say "resistance," is that getting into the sub-ohm part? l don't see how one's draw might influence one's vapor temp but that's ok lol. lf its aim is to reach a set temp as quick as possible, that would help explain why my Ni mode's stuck at a whopping 75w (this mod's max is 80w)
I think @Siebter already responded about the TCR acronym and this point--sure, you could, but any decent temp control algorithm will handle this for you.
so you can change the wattage in Ni mode! o:
Plus if you're inhaling out of a huge glass piece where you've got a lot of mechanical advantage pulling more air over the coils you want the extra headroom to maintain your set temperature--e.g. I rarely go over 30W with my Tetra P80 even with the temp set to 430 degrees, but if I'm hitting a giant bong I do because so much more air is being pulled past the coils to replace the air in the bong that I'm inhaling.
you rarely go over 30w w/ TC...doesn't it seem a tad odd for me to be at 75? Or is your mod's max wattage a lot lower than mine?
It should be possible with the Omni2 chip/board
I keep seeing this line, from their bumf (blindly copied and pasted again and again)
"
  • In TC-Ni/TC-Ti/TC-SS/TCR (M1, M2) mode:
In TC-Ni/TC-Ti/TC-SS mode, the OMNI Board 2.0 allows you to change the startup wattage under temperate control mode.
"
Altho I don't have one to check for you unfortunately
And as you've discovered yourself, the YouTube advertisers just don't do TC lol
ty for pointing that out, l was able to come upon the same info w/ additional research but l'll be damned if l can find how to do that lol
So I'd try TCR mode at about .0060 as a work around
idek what those numbers are in reference to, is that sub-ohm related?
All due respect @Hippie but that seems like bad advice based on a misunderstanding of terminology or the way mods work. The start up wattage is, as Siebter and I were suggesting, the max amount of power the mod will use to reach whatever temp you’ve told it to get to. Changing the resistance in tcr mode changes how that temperature is read (and consequently how the algorithm stays at a set temp).

Changing the start up wattage in a temp-controlled mode has very little practical benefits (aside from maybe some battery savings). Changing the resistance to an arbitrary value isn’t a “work around” for being unable to change the start up wattage, it’s completely changing the temp control algorithm.

If I were op I’d not worry about the start up wattage at all.
wow that was over my head lol. Only reason l'm worried about the wattage in Ni mode is because here https://www.reddit.com/r/DivineTribeVaporizers/wiki/v4wiki under recommended settings it says 33w...if high wattage wouldn't harm the coil then why bother giving a recommended setting? Especially knowing now directly from the source...l was able to get in touch with support @Divine Tribe. Took them only a few days to get back to me, and they said that on their picos they sell that both the wattage and temp are adjustable in Ni mode. They've politely agreed to help me try to figure out how to configure my specific mod, l gave them the make/model and am awaiting a response. Speaking of reaching out directly to the source, l also shot an email to Vaporesso and am hoping for a response from them explaining how to do this. l'll let you guys know if/when l get a response
Reducing the starting wattage will reduce the chances of overshooting the desired temp in TC mode.
That's what I was thinking o: overshooting the temp and shortening the lifespan of my coil
Sorry, maybe I am misunderstanding--isn't the TCR value directly setting the resistance (or having the mod read it if it features that functionality) when you aren't using coils built with one of the presets (e.g. NI)? If that’s not what you meant maybe you should more accurately explain what you mean so the op understands which setting to change, as I don’t think it’s clear either, but I assume you meant the tcr coefficient.
Yeah l'm not sure what that decimal number is Dx
If you overshoot the desired temp it will be for a split second and the mod will correct back down to the correct value, but I guess if the PID algorithm your mod uses is really misconfigured maybe there is some value in what you're saying.
PID?
I've never seen any reason to mess with it, and I don't think we were playing any guessing games aside from describing the differences between wattage mode and a temp control mode.
supposedly with my mod the temp control mode is capable of its wattage being changed as well. l just don't know how to do it, dagnabbit lol
Just read one of the guides on the subject .....
you know l actually started checking that out and l think it could be a really good learning tool for me, as it targets those like me who know next to nothing on the topic. The fact that the author's native tongue isn't English astounds me.
I guess the devices I use have enough resistance to be okay with 75W in that split second 🤷‍♂️.
therein lies my dilemma as l don't think that this specific quartz coil is designed to go above 33w w/o it's lifespan suffering.

Thank you to everyone for your input so far, it's appreciated! Also pardon the delayed response, there's been a lot going on!

~Elizabeth~,
Reactions: Siebter

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@~Elizabeth~ - I can't reply to all your questions, but it seems like a good idea to let you know how temperature control via TCRs work.

The mod does not measure any temperature at all, what it does monitor is the resistance of the wire you use. Two things: 1.: every alloy has a different resistance. 2.: every alloy *changes* it's resistance when being heated – it's that change in resistance that the mod will pick up and calculate a temperature from that.

And because every alloy / metal has different resistances and changes its resistance differently according to the temperature, we need TCRs so the mod knows how to calculate correctly.

I must admit I couldn't follow the technical details @Hippie & @gordontreeman were discussing either, but then again I don't really use temperature control.

l don't see how one's draw might influence one's vapor temp but that's ok lol.

When you take a hit, the airflow you create will affect the temperature of the coil, the harder you draw, the cooler it gets. Temperature control on the other hand will compensate that.

Hippie

The mod calculates the temperature of the coil by monitoring the resistance of the coil and some maths using the TCR value (Temperature Coefficient of Resistance) which is the ratio of how much the resistance of a coil rises as the temperature rises.
Each metal has their own TCR value - Ni200 is about 0.006 (or sometimes expressed as 600)

So what I was suggesting was that you try TCR mode with a TCR value of .006 and whatever resistance the mod reads when both the mod and the coil are at room temp, in the hope there may be an option to change the wattage value in TCR mode.

I've had a few box mods over the years and most have their foibles so I would also try setting the mod to 33W and then switching over to TCR or Ni TC mode and see if the 33W gets carried over, if you haven't already.

and I also saw this as a solution for the swag2 on the ecig forum
"
main menu > diy mode > vt > ss, ni, ti or any other > pwr
After setting desired wattage with + and - buttons, you can long press mode button or single click fire, to go back directly to main screen.
"
Which may give you some clue what to look for in the menu

~Elizabeth~

OMG I FIGURED IT OUT

l was sitting here blazed from my Blaze, just fiddling with my swag mod and pushing different buttons simultaneously to see what happened and l brought up a menu from which l was able to adjust the wattage on all the modes. Turns out it's simultaneously pressing/holding the power and temp down buttons that does the trick.

l have to say that compared to the Blaze the V4 blows it out of the water. Haven't experienced pain management this good in years. Cannabis is such an awesome plant! l'm so tickled that l figured it tf out, this seems a much more efficient method of medicating than with the Blaze

@~Elizabeth~ - I can't reply to all your questions, but it seems like a good idea to let you know how temperature control via TCRs work.

The mod does not measure any temperature at all, what it does monitor is the resistance of the wire you use. Two things: 1.: every alloy has a different resistance. 2.: every alloy *changes* it's resistance when being heated – it's that change in resistance that the mod will pick up and calculate a temperature from that.
fascinating! o:
I must admit I couldn't follow the technical details @Hippie & @gordontreeman were discussing either
thank god l wasn't alone lol
When you take a hit, the airflow you create will affect the temperature of the coil, the harder you draw, the cooler it gets. Temperature control on the other hand will compensate that.
oh, duh

I've had a few box mods over the years and most have their foibles so I would also try setting the mod to 33W and then switching over to TCR or Ni TC mode and see if the 33W gets carried over, if you haven't already.

and I also saw this as a solution for the swag2 on the ecig forum
"
main menu > diy mode > vt > ss, ni, ti or any other > pwr
After setting desired wattage with + and - buttons, you can long press mode button or single click fire, to go back directly to main screen.
"
Which may give you some clue what to look for in the menu
thanks for the suggestions and teaching me a new word :D (foibles)

Billyboy777

Hey not sure if you fixed it but I have the same mod and I got the dc dc gen 2 all you have to do to change settings for ni mode or any mode you got. go to your settings and click three times to enter then you have vw mode on the top and vt for watts on the bottom click and hold on you're able to adjust whatever you desire really simple took my a week to figure it out

~Elizabeth~

Hey not sure if you fixed it but I have the same mod and I got the dc dc gen 2 all you have to do to change settings for ni mode or any mode you got. go to your settings and click three times to enter then you have vw mode on the top and vt for watts on the bottom click and hold on you're able to adjust whatever you desire really simple took my a week to figure it out
ty friend! You were faster than me haha, took me several weeks. l eventually got it after deciding to fiddle with various button combos while super high lol. Ty for replying, appreciate it n_n

~Elizabeth~,
Top Bottom