How hot is vapor? you tell me

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
So how hot is vapor by the time it gets to our mouths? How about our lungs? I'm curious to know how healthy it is to breathe in hot air(vapor) into our lungs and throats as well? I'm certain that the temperature must vary from vape to vape. A whip vape, for example, would likely deliver a lower temp compared to a direct draw vape, and a vape set to a higher temp would produce a higher temp...etc. I know that saunas generally operate at around 212F according to wiki if that's any kind of reference point.

This also leads me to think that there's a potential that vapes that allow for water filtration may not only be more pleasant to use but also healthier (or less unhealthy). I've noticed that I personally, after being forced to use my PD without water filtration, have experienced more lung discomfort i.e. decreased endurance, breathing struggles during intense exercise, and phlegm. And this is also a time when my usage has significantly declined.

Anyone else notice this? Perhaps my health insurance should help me pay for my Cloud? I wonder.

Deadhead101,

max

Out to lunch
I've noticed that I personally, after being forced to use my PD without water filtration, have experienced more lung discomfort i.e. decreased endurance, breathing struggles during intense exercise, and phlegm.
Compared to what? Other models? vs. water filtration? vs. not vaping at all? It's just not clear what your point of comparison is.

Personally, after using a PD pretty much daily for the last 3 1/2 years, I haven't noticed any more lung difficulties than with other dry vapor vapes, and less than with heavier hitters like the SSV. Having also used the PD with water filtration quite a bit, I haven't noticed any benefits with that method, perhaps because I'm able to get quite a bit more vapor per hit that way. I can't say whether the heat is a health factor or not. I can say that using a longer vapor tube/stem (especially glass) with the PD makes a difference in the heat as far as how my mouth responds. I'll never go back to the standard length polypropylene tubes unless I'm using filtration.

max,

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
Typically I use my PD through water, but recently I've been put in the situation where water filtration is unavailable. I've found that with dry vapor I have to take more hits to cash a stem and after dry vapor my mouth and throat become more dry than with water filtration.

I guess what it comes down to is that I prefer water filtration. To achieve this I've been taiking a sip of water into my mouth and running the vapor through said water. This has been less irritating.

I was also curious as to whether or not there are any health concerns with breathing in hot vapor into one's mouth, throat, ...etc, but I suppose it may not be so harmful after all.

Deadhead101,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Deadhead101 said:
I was also curious as to whether or not there are any health concerns with breathing in hot vapor into one's mouth, throat, ...etc, but I suppose it may not be so harmful after all.
I think that there is a correlation that has been measured in countries where they drink their tea really, really hot with that and oral cancers. Who knows how that might relate to vapor....?

WatTyler,

isuckatlyfe

I use a bong and ice with my dbv. Even with that sometimes I still scorch my lungs. I turn it up to about 2 or 3 o'clock.

isuckatlyfe,

weedemon

enthusiast
i'd say this is completely dependant on the type and way you are using that specific type of model.

btw your wording confused me i think of the ssv as a direct draw type vape. you are using your lung force to make it "go". maybe my definition is wrong though.

but back to the topic of heat. im sure many of you know the mflb and how when you hit it native, it's quite warm. this is the best example i have for heat being a factor. the heat source is literally millimetres away from your mouth and i definitely feel the heat from it.

I find this is harsher on the mouth and throat than if i were to put that same vaporizer through my bong with the wpa. i have created a much longer vapor path and this allows the vapor to cool (as it cools it is condensing and collecting on things though, like your glass)

the ssv on he other hand gives me big dry hits and they can also be harsh on my throat, but not so much as when you can feel hot/warm air in your mouth. again running this through water helps me by taking some of the irritation out of the experience.

so in summary, i agree hotter vapor is more irritating, and putting the same vapor though a longer pathway helps but water filtration is even more effective.

weedemon,

max

Out to lunch
Deadhead101 said:
I know that saunas generally operate at around 212F
Vapor cools quickly and is at a much lower temp than that, with any vape.

weedemon said:
i think of the ssv as a direct draw type vape. you are using your lung force to make it "go". maybe my definition is wrong though.
Well, there are no official definitions, but if whip vapes aren't direct draw, what separates them? Whether it's a short tube/stem or a whip, you're still drawing directly from the vape, so as far as I'm concerned, the FC definition of direct draw includes whip vapes.

max,
Top Bottom