• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

How do you clean your grinder?

flaky

Let's face it... sometimes your bud is kinda sticky. Years of that through a milled grinder gets kinda gross.

How do you get rid of it all? My grinder is milled aluminum with a steel screen and clear acrylic top. What solvents are safe to use? It's going on 10 years old and *really* gross.

flaky,

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
I usually just use ISO and some q-tips with a tool pick to dislodge some the pieces stuck in the nooks and crannies, sometimes I'll use a old tooth brush as well.

SquirrelMaster

iso shake n rinse n scrub, but my brilliant cut grinders only "need" this every few years lol

Mine has been due for its first clean for about nine months now

I cleaned all my plates a few days ago because they looked dirty but it was totally unnecessary function wise. Quick iso soak and once over q-tip had them sparkling.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I use a two piece hemp grinder that I like. It does require more frequent cleaning though.
70 percent ISO is fine, dollar store grade does the job.
I drop it into a sandwich sized zip lock and pour in some ISO, seal, shake, then hang upright using a clipboard.
Or.. flat down depending on what seems to be needed.
About an hour later I'll rinse with water and let dry.
That's it.
If using a metal grinder you probably should remove the Teflon band before soaking in ISO.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
I find soaking in iso a bit gratuitous since you’re really only after a few surfaces. If I’m detailing mine, I’ll brush it out and iso swab the gunky bits.

Mostly I just keep refilling it and let the new stuff push out the old stuff, sausage grinder style.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I find soaking in iso a bit gratuitous since you’re really only after a few surfaces. If I’m detailing mine, I’ll brush it out and iso swab the gunky bits.

Mostly I just keep refilling it and let the new stuff push out the old stuff, sausage grinder style.

I do that also, with a hard brush from S&B and ISO. It's fine enough for a grind or two but the turning gets tight soon after.
The gratuitous approach I think is a deeper and longer lasting clean.

DrJynx86

I have a huge Titanium Space Case and a small german one, I usually clean them while making "stem milk", I left them boiling 15-30 minutes with 3% milk with added cream or butter and then they're almost done and I wash them with hot water and regular dawn like soap.

They end up pristine, like new looking.

PS: Remember to remove the plastic o-rings before boiling.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
The gratuitous approach I think is a deeper and longer lasting clean.
I admit that the first part of my regimen was getting a BCG— those things just don’t gunk up, tho they’re arguably more gratuitous than using the odd Ziploc and 5¢ of iso.

Never had my old cheapies lock up, tho. Maybe bc I only grind a few bowls at a time.

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I admit that the first part of my regimen was getting a BCG— those things just don’t gunk up, tho they’re arguably more gratuitous than using the odd Ziploc and 5¢ of iso.

Never had my old cheapies lock up, tho. Maybe bc I only grind a few bowls at a time.
It's hard to imagine a grinder not gunking up. I used a two piece space case for many years, it's a great grinder but it needs to be cleaned about once a week. For the last two years I've been using only a cheap hemp grinder, the santa cruz eco shredder, or something like that. I was concerned about how to clean it, would alcohol damage it, etc. No problem at all. I clean it the same way I've always cleaned my grinders, with ISO and a brush or bag.

CANtalk

I've been on a clean grinder kick for the last year or so. Definitely the way to go, imo. I do a cleaning every few weeks using hot 99% ISO and it works pretty well. My future plans to are get an SS grinder and use PBW and the ultrasonic cleaner.... it's much easier, hands-off, cheaper and comes out clean clean. PBW is a strong cleaner, strong enough to remove anodizing :whoa:.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

vapirtoo

I like the soaked in milk method. I hate losing all that resin and crud!
Currently I use an old toothbrush. I will see about the stem milk!
Oh I forgot, no heat, no actives!

vapirtoo,

DrJynx86

Milk boils very close to water at 212 F and adding cream or butter/fat will probably make that go higher, THCA decarb starts at 220 F or so, it might get active!

Maybe you can heat the grinder in the oven at 220 F plus for a while before doing the milk?

DrJynx86,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Milk boils very close to water at 212 F and adding cream or butter/fat will probably make that go higher, THCA decarb starts at 220 F or so, it might get active!

Maybe you can heat the grinder in the oven at 220 F plus for a while before doing the milk?

Oh it definitely works with the milk, I thought about it with the grinder, but I didn't want to risk ruining it with milk lol tried to save my qwiso in the freezer and ended up breaking the glass before I could even try it LOL

Shit Snacks,
  • Haha
Reactions: LesPlenty

DrJynx86

Borosilicate glass is very heat resistant, you only need to avoid the heat shock, there is no need to keep them in the freezer if doing milk, but being extra careful with glass is never wrong :)

DrJynx86,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Borosilicate glass is very heat resistant, you only need to avoid the heat shock, there is no need to keep them in the freezer if doing milk, but being extra careful with glass is never wrong :)

Oh sorry, this was grinder qwiso in a shot glass, I let the alcohol evaporate in the freezer, thinking that might help with purity or whatever, then just kept it in the freezer, and one day it fell out when opened and shattered real good all over the floor :doh::lmao:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
You guys clean these things?

1394682-E-47-D1-49-FB-AF28-5-ACDFF0-BA21-D.jpg

LesPlenty

Company Rep
You guys clean these things?
Only when they are due...you look about halfway there!
Haha, that is one gunked up grinder...I wonder how well it would spin if cleaned?
I save my iso that cleans my grinders and mason jars that I stash my herb in, it is now a very dark yellow/brown colour and about ready to evaporate off. It is a few of years worth of cleaning, I will load the goo into some thick oil carts I have for the Quaser pen eventually.

Top Bottom