How can people put “oil” on a sub?

2 Cycle

I was at a popular sandwich establishment in town and I decided to order an italian. My sandwich was constructed to my satisfaction and was awaiting condiments. The lady grabs a tube labeled “oil” and moves towards my sandwich. Firmly, but with a compassionate tone, I told her to halt with that and please put on mayonaisse instead. She kind of looked at me sideways and did as she was instructed. She isn’t the first to try to put this “oil” on my footlong and every time I am left shaking my head. What is the draw here? It seems greasy and wet. Not for me and I wonder if anyone here likes that

GetLeft

My guess is that if you went to the place known for 'foot-longs,' it's part of the description of the sandwich. The young lady was following the rules :)

I do cheese hoagies (subs) once in a while and wouldn't use anything other than oil and vinegar.

Mayo messes with me. Can't eat it.

GetLeft,
Reactions: Squiby

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I think decarbed THC oil, maybe mixed with a fine virgin olive oil and a bit of balsamic, would make a fine accompaniment on the sub. Canna-Yes Please!

macbill,
Reactions: GetLeft

ghost

Not sure where you are from, but around here if you order an Italian sub, regardless of where you order from, it comes with some sort of Italian dressing or vinaigrette or just olive oil and a sprinkle of their spice blend. That just seems standard for an Italian sub for me. Mayo is hit or miss, some places do, some don't. (though all will if you request it)

Last edited:
I eat as little processed food as I can and one of the things I won't eat is mayo from a jar. I make my own mayo with........ oil. LOL So, I guess it's 6 of one and half dozen of another. Mayo is basically whipped oil.

I like olive oil. Add an egg yolk with lemon. Yummy, you'll never buy mayo in a jar ever again. Sometimes I add some mustard powder. Yummy.

ghost

I like olive oil. Add an egg yolk with lemon. Yummy, you'll never buy mayo in a jar ever again. Sometimes I add some mustard powder. Yummy.

Yep. And if you have an emersion blender (aka stick blender) and a wide mouth canning jar, making your own literally only takes a minute or so.

protip- if you are making your mayo using an emersion blender, use the extra light olive oil. For whatever reason if you use extra virgin, it makes the mayo bitter.

ghost,
Reactions: GetLeft
I make most of my own garnish and it's surprising how little time it takes. And, there is no comparison in the taste. For you people who like mustard.... OMG! if you make you own, you'll never buy Grey Poupon again. LOL

I used to grind my own wheat to make flour to make bread but my wheat source dried up so now I use packaged flour to make bread. Noodles and pasta are actually faster to make from scratch. Even though it takes time to mix the dough, fresh pasta cooks in about 2 minutes versus the 5 to 12 minutes for dried pasta.

And, again... yummy. Imagine, if you can, the difference between a fine Cinderella99 that you personally grew vs some commercial grind. Or, Boones Farm to a nice 1985 Sterling Reserve.

If helps if you love to eat, like I do.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I like a bit of oil & vinegar on a sub.

Often when I make sandwiches at home, I'll add a sprinkle of zesty Italian dressing to the lettuce & veggies layer to add a little extra flavor to the sandwich.

Ramahs,
Top Bottom