Higher Standards Torch

Kins

Hey I'm new to using a torch and this is my first one. When using this one it seems to make the entire room smell like butane. It also seems be like skipping a beat?. What's going on? This isn't normal is it?. Should I RMA? Stop using it?. I don't want to use it if defective.

Kins,
Reactions: arb

Kins

Seriously guys. I had to open up everything to clear the butane smell out of here. Please someone let me know. I don't think I'm gonna use this torch anymore.

Kins,

510MOD

Manufacturer
Perhaps it has a leak at the fill valve. I would do an RMA if you can.

510MOD,

Kins

Perhaps it has a leak at the fill valve. I would do an RMA if you can.

Thanks. Yeah I contacted them already the other day. Hopefully I can get it replaced. Or refunded. After this I really don't want to mess with a torch anymore.

Last edited:
Kins,
Reactions: 510MOD

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
You sure you don't just have it turned up too high?
What happens when You adjust the flame?

Also, what kind of torch is it? Higher Standards puts their logo on a lot of products.

Ramahs,

Kins

You sure you don't just have it turned up too high?
What happens when You adjust the flame?

Also, what kind of torch is it? Higher Standards puts their logo on a lot of products.

It just goes to super high or off. Oh it's a "big blazer"

Kins,

Ramahs

Do you mean "Big Shot" is the model, and the brand is Blazer? Or is it actually labeled "Big Blazer"?

Ramahs,

Ramahs

A few questions to help narrow the focus down:
- Have you tried finding where the smallest point between open and closed valve you can twist the valve knob, and still spark it to get a flame? If so, where is that point? Is it above or below the valve being halfway open?
- Did you burp all the air out of the tank before/during filling it the first time?
- Have you burped the air out of the tank since then?
- What kind of butane are you using?

Last edited:
Ramahs,
Reactions: 510MOD

Kins

A few questions to help narrow the focus down:
- Have you tried finding where the smallest point between open and closed valve you can twist the valve knob, and still spark it to get a flame? If so, where is that point? Is it above or below the valve being halfway open?
- Did you burp all the air out of the tank before/during filling it the first time?
- Have you burped the air out of the tank since then?
- What kind of butane are you using?

The first question answer is yes. The valve was almost halfway open I'd say. As far as burping the air out I'm not sure. I just followed the directions to fill it. I believe it "burped out" some when it was full, and I read that was how you could tell it was full. Sorry I'm very new to torches. As far as the butane I'm using I just purchased it at Wal-Mart. "Ronson butane fuel"

This is the stuff I used,

I also have the Stach Rio and the included torch with that isn't like this at all. I can turn it way down without turning it off. It doesn't smell either.

Kins,

Morty

"...shelf-stable liquid fuels like ronson or zippo fluid will always have a smell to them because of petroleum based naptha. That's what gives it a gasoline type smell".

Bleeding (not burping) a lighter IIRC, is to remove any excess air from the lighter before you fill it.

Google is your friend

Kins

"...shelf-stable liquid fuels like ronson or zippo fluid will always have a smell to them because of petroleum based naptha. That's what gives it a gasoline type smell".

Bleeding (not burping) a lighter IIRC, is to remove any excess air from the lighter before you fill it.

Google is your friend

Yeah I did that... I was enjoying the use of a torch and actually getting good hits. However, using a torch inside doesn't seem right. A blow torch seems more like something you use in a garage with exhaust fans, not in a one bedroom apartment. I heated up my banger to clean it yesterday and I had the fire alarms going off. Not a good sign. It almost seems stupid.

Last edited:
Kins,

Ramahs

The first question answer is yes. The valve was almost halfway open I'd say. As far as burping the air out I'm not sure. I just followed the directions to fill it. I believe it "burped out" some when it was full, and I read that was how you could tell it was full. Sorry I'm very new to torches. As far as the butane I'm using I just purchased it at Wal-Mart. "Ronson butane fuel"

This is the stuff I used,

I also have the Stach Rio and the included torch with that isn't like this at all. I can turn it way down without turning it off. It doesn't smell either.

Yeah, what @Morty alluded to. When it's empty, letting the air out before refilling. Plus, When I fill I burp a bit of the air out and then fill some more.

And I wouldn't let something like Ronson butane anywhere your torch. That Ronson stinks and can clog up your torch. That's dirty shit. You want butane that's at least 5x filtered. You might want to check your local head shop. Mine carries Vector that's 14x filtered, big ass cans for like $6. Colibri is another good brand.

Your problems could be related to bad butane.

Last edited:

Kins

Ok so I guess I should try bleeding it, then using the rest up and getting some quality butane. I was just using my stache rio with some gorrila glue live resin rocks and sauce. I should do nothing now or stare at the screen for 30 minutes wondering what I was writing/talking about. Gorrilla glue is one of my faves.

Kins,

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
It would be a good idea to do the same thing with your Rio if you have used the same Ronson butane in it.

The Chemist,
Reactions: Morty

Kins

It would be a good idea to do the same thing with your Rio if you have used the same Ronson butane in it.

Ok I just did both of them. I mean I bled like in the video. Flame is much more stable now. Still I'll just use the rest of it that is in the torches and trash the bottle. I would empty both but I live in a city and I don't want to empty the entire torches inside, seems like a bad idea anyway. What's the best brand?. I'll just get some online if you could point me in the right direction. Ok I saw the link above, must have forgot about it. I got the 2 pack of the 14x filter vector. Should be here by Monday. Just "checked" the big shot and it's still a bit unstable at very low flame levels. I'm still burning some of my dabs. Still probably starting with too much. The first two taste great and all the rest are pretty burnt but I'm still vaked so it's all good.

Last edited:

Kins

@Kins If you've got the Rio, what are you using the Blazer for? Dry herb vape?

Just wanted to try as many methods as I can till I find one I really like the best. Also like to keep my options open. I'll be trying an enail next.

Kins,
Reactions: Morty
Top Bottom