High potency edibles

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I'm getting ready to SnowBird my way to Palm Springs. I made some gummies in the 35 to 45 mg THC range for my sojourn. I may have gotten over-zealous. Everyone needs a hobby.
8-D26-AE5-B-9-E33-4323-8-FAC-FA8-EF72-A1-A1-F-1-201-a.jpg
That should get you to Christmas. :)

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Yes, I use potassium sorbate. In a video no longer available on YouTube, I learned how to make them shelf stable. 1:3 ratio potassium sorbate to water. For each cup of gummy liquid, I add a 1/4 teaspoon of potassium sorbate solution. I'm still working on my 1st batch of 3/4 cup water to 1/4 cup potassium sorbate solution.

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I'm in Palm Springs for the Winter, so I think I'll make some infused beverages to sip at the pool. I make infused honey at 100 mg THC/Tablespoon. So I'll empty out 4 bottles of water in a pan, dissolve honey (1 Tbls/bottle), add flavoring to taste and re-bottle my beverages for pool-side consumption. Yeah, my tolerance is pretty high, but usually, so am I.
IMG-2283.jpg

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
It is time for me to make some tincture. I shoot for 10 mg THC/drop out of a dropper. There are 590 drops in an ounce. I decided to just cook the concentrate on a 300 F degree hot plate. Here is a picture of it bubbling away. It's the big bubbles that indicate the organic chemistry of converting the non-psychoactive THC-A into psychoactive THC is working. The carbon dioxide big bubbles are the by-product of "decarbing".
Bubbles.gif

Last edited:

sickmanfraud

I'm in Palm Springs for the Winter, so I think I'll make some infused beverages to sip at the pool. I make infused honey at 100 mg THC/Tablespoon. So I'll empty out 4 bottles of water in a pan, dissolve honey (1 Tbls/bottle), add flavoring to taste and re-bottle my beverages for pool-side consumption. Yeah, my tolerance is pretty high, but usually, so am I.
IMG-2283.jpg

@macbill is there a reason you don't use infused sugar vs infused honey?

sickmanfraud,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I guess I go with what I know. I have not tried to make infused sugar. I'm diabetic, but sugar is sugar whether it's honey or the white stuff. I'm usually not trying to sweeten things, just infuse them with THC. I mix sunflower lecithin into my decarbed concentrate before combining it in the honey as it is supposed to increase the "bioavailability" of the concentrate, and help "emulsify", or combine the oil and water, but there probably is a way to do it with infused sugar. I haven't been able to combine 95% alcohol with lecithin, so although I have high THC available through tincture, it doesn't have the bioavailability of infused honey.

Last edited:
macbill,
Reactions: shredder

sickmanfraud

While I use lecithin in my capsules (MCT or Coconut oil) and edibles I do not use it with ethanol tinctures.

You can experiment with about a cup of sugar and an ounce of ethanol tincture. You can vary the strength of the sugar by adjusting the strength and quantity of the tincture used.

You just combine sugar and tincture mix and let the alcohol evaporate. No cooking is necessary. You can use infused sugar in edibles also.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
While I use lecithin in my capsules (MCT or Coconut oil) and edibles I do not use it with ethanol tinctures.

You can experiment with about a cup of sugar and an ounce of ethanol tincture. You can vary the strength of the sugar by adjusting the strength and quantity of the tincture used.

You just combine sugar and tincture mix and let the alcohol evaporate. No cooking is necessary. You can use infused sugar in edibles also.

I may have to try this. A 1ml shot of my ethanol tincture under my tongue (sublingual), is very HOT (this is obvious and documented).
Maybe letting the ethanol evaporate in the sugar, then put under the tongue would certainly be more tolerable, not sure if the fast acting effect would be compromised? Trying to avoid the long delay when the medicine is swallowed, and goes through the liver, that’s one of the benefits over edibles etc. A strong ethanol tincture applied sublingual can be hard to hold for 1-3 minutes, even with a shot of water added right after.

sickmanfraud

I may have to try this. A 1ml shot of my ethanol tincture under my tongue (sublingual), is very HOT (this is obvious and documented).
Maybe letting the ethanol evaporate in the sugar, then put under the tongue would certainly be more tolerable, not sure if the fast acting effect would be compromised? Trying to avoid the long delay when the medicine is swallowed, and goes through the liver, that’s one of the benefits over edibles etc. A strong ethanol tincture applied sublingual can be hard to hold for 1-3 minutes, even with a shot of water added right after.

You can add your 1ml of tincture to 10-15ml of water, swish it around your mouth and cheeks, and get the sublingual effect without the burn.

Cannabis sugar hits very quickly and goes very well in Tea and coffee.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Collecting data for my next batch of infused honey. I bought a 2 lb container of honey. So, what is 2 lbs of honey volume-wise?
Screenshot-2022-11-22-at-12-47-37-PM.png

So, I'm shooting for 100 mg THC per tablespoon. There are 43 tbls X 100 = 4,300 mg THC. If I decarb 4,300 mg of THC and add 3 or 4 grams of sunflower lecithin, and combine well in heated honey from a water bath, I'll be good to go for either infused tea or infused Crystal Light.

sickmanfraud

@macbill I am finally ready to end procrastinating and try to make gummies. One of the cannabis oils I can get is now seemingly CBD at 1 gram per ml. made from an isolate. Each drop is 6.4mg CBD. So 3 drops are approx 20 mg.

Using this oil it seems that I should put the gummy mixture into the molds and then count the required number of drops into the hot mixture. I guess trial and error will tell me if I need to mix the CBD with the mixture before the molds. The ability to use a small number of drops to get an expected dose makes a big difference to me.

Any last-minute advice?

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
@sickmanfraud
That sounds like a good way to do it. Or put the drops in 1st and then fill mold: it might mix in better. The way I do it, there are too many variables to guarantee exact mg/gummy: gummy liquid creates a foam when combining the gelatin which I skim off making less liquid; filling each cavity isn't an exact science: some have a few drops more, some less. I was shooting for a gift batch of 5 mg/unit. Because of the above variables, the best I could do was 6.14/ea on average.

Last edited:

Esther Lee

Thanks for tons of helpful information! I'm gathering some yummy recipes to prepare for my upcoming birthday party.

My plants are grown from seeds like this:

Would they be suitable for edibles?

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Last edited:

shredder

Would they be suitable for edibles?

Sure.
Sure. Remember, you may need to decarboxylate the hemp prior to grinding up and soaking in a bath of heated oil. Frankly, I have no experience: someone knowledgeable will chime in. Let's say your hemp is 20% CBD. So for every ounce (28 grams) of dried hemp, 20%, or 5.6 grams of the total weight is CBD oil.

Actually you don't need to decarb cbd.

strech

Concentrates get me roughly 700-750 mg per gram. Been tossing one in the Fx machine. Run decarb A1. Then infuse cycle with oil or butter. Been just grabbing box goodies from the baking section at the grocery. Usually get around 50 mg per treat. I've tried most of the Betty crocker boxes. Don't really have a favorite. Going to try the no bake treats next.

Old Moderate

@macbill I am finally ready to end procrastinating and try to make gummies. One of the cannabis oils I can get is now seemingly CBD at 1 gram per ml. made from an isolate. Each drop is 6.4mg CBD. So 3 drops are approx 20 mg.

Using this oil it seems that I should put the gummy mixture into the molds and then count the required number of drops into the hot mixture. I guess trial and error will tell me if I need to mix the CBD with the mixture before the molds. The ability to use a small number of drops to get an expected dose makes a big difference to me.

Any last-minute advice?
I’ve been able to get 8mg CBD isolate per drop and calculate this as with one drop as 0.037 ml and 0.034 g of olive oil (using an analytical balance). That’s 235 mg of isolate per 8.5 g of oil (9.28 ml). I tried 10mg per drop once and it would not stay in solution after cooling. So this to me is right up at the limit. I imagine it would be the same for THC or close to it and if it was a whole plant extract would be much lower because of the other compounds. So a good upper reference. Of course maybe other oils can hold more…

Old Moderate,

shredder

Concentrates get me roughly 700-750 mg per gram. Been tossing one in the Fx machine. Run decarb A1. Then infuse cycle with oil or butter. Been just grabbing box goodies from the baking section at the grocery. Usually get around 50 mg per treat. I've tried most of the Betty crocker boxes. Don't really have a favorite. Going to try the no bake treats next.

Have you tried infused chocolate yet?

We use feco, and dark chocolate to fill silicone molds. Most chocolates already have lecithin in it, so we just mix the feco in the melted chocolate and fill molds. No need for oils, other than the feco.

We use weed capsules the most followed by chocolates.

Old Moderate

I’ve been able to get 8mg CBD isolate per drop and calculate this as with one drop as 0.037 ml and 0.034 g of olive oil (using an analytical balance). That’s 235 mg of isolate per 8.5 g of oil (9.28 ml). I tried 10mg per drop once and it would not stay in solution after cooling. So this to me is right up at the limit. I imagine it would be the same for THC or close to it and if it was a whole plant extract would be much lower because of the other compounds. So a good upper reference. Of course maybe other oils can hold more…
There is an error above. Should be 2g of isolate per 8.5g of oil. This was the max I could keep in solution.

strech

Have you tried infused chocolate yet?

We use feco, and dark chocolate to fill silicone molds. Most chocolates already have lecithin in it, so we just mix the feco in the melted chocolate and fill molds. No need for oils, other than the feco.

We use weed capsules the most followed by chocolates.
I've tried it once. Mixed decarbed concentrate with melted chocolate and put it in the mold. Made a huge mess and didn't care for the taste. Have not attempted again.

shredder

I have made chocolates from extra-strength tinctures or hash. The hash chocolates had a very minor taste of cannabis.

I find the same thing with hash, and rosin too. Rso, feco, or distillate seem the best taste wise. But with hash or rosin you also have more terpenes. Effects vrs taste. Or just use capsules.

Personally I use feco for small 20mg chocolates or chocolate bars and capsules for almost everything else.

shredder,
Reactions: macbill

gotbadvas

I can't have chocolate or any sugar anymore but I used to like making chocolate bars with RSO. Darkest I can find with some salt. I was even tempering them and everything. I only get to have boring infused oil now but hey first world problems and all. I hope I can one day get a sonification setup for making my own nano coffee creamer properly.

Top Bottom