Hi all. New here, so ...

joupotu

Hi all. Nice forum here.

I'm new here, so ...... yeah, i want to figure out how to decarb with NO ODOR at all. and then make a tincture out of 190 proof Everclear.

To decarb I tried boiling a mason jar with a gram of nug in it, and the jar inside of a boiling bag. Then I mixed that
product in the Everclear and kept it in the freezer, shaking every so often. Did not work. I can't have any smells, none.
I need to make a strong tincture that gets me high. I have COPD and can't smoke hardly at all anymore. Thanks.

ElMetrico

Boiling tempersture of water is too low for activation. Also convection, or moving air streams are benificial for distributing the heat in the jar. Since the jar is fully closed, not a lot of airflow will be generated.

I think it will be very hard to activate without any smells since the boiling point of most terpenes are lower than or comparable to the activation temperature ranges.

joupotu

Welcome to the forum!

Maybe Ardent offer something

Thank you Abele Rizieri Ferrari. Thanks for your offer and the welcome. A few years ago, I purchased this STX Activation 420 Decarboxylator
1803800590.jpg

Code:
https://stxinternational.com/products/activation-420-accessories/STX-Activation-420-Decarboxylator-Botanical-Herbal-Activator-%E2%80%A2-Fully-Automatic-%E2%80%A2-Virtually-Odorless-%E2%80%A2-Activates-Up-to-2-Oz-of-Product-%E2%80%A2-2-Aluminum-Decarb-Canisters-with-Silicone-Lids-for-Storage-p262217477
But I never did use it, because I knew it would release odors, and it processes decarb the same way the ardent does, and so that was not in consideration when I bought the Activation 420.

Boiling tempersture of water is too low for activation.
Thank you ElMetrico for your informative and accurate post. I have just since joining this board come to the same conclusion about under water decarbing that you and our fellow member:
use Volcano bags or oven roasting bags,
Offers here with the use of roasting bags. I have not tried them, but perhaps Hippie, you are right, and that's the only way I could decarb. I'm sure it would work, problem is, my house'd smell like a weed factory, and I just can't have that. Maybe I could double bag, maybe that might work.

Thanks to all of you for your contributions to my question. I really appreciate it. I gotta say that i'm desperate due to the fact that I have purchased 5 different brands of tinctures from rec MJ stores at different times and those tinctures did not work. I got two of one brand, a sativa and an indica, and the same of another brand and then a 5th variety that the budtender swore would work, and nope it too was of no effect to me whatsoever. And of course edibles are out, for the obvious reason that I don't want to spend 2 hours waiting to get high, and then once there, being high for another 8 hours. No TY. But it does look like i am going to have to purchase a tincture if i want to get high w/o smoking nugs. You are all correct in that assessment. I'm pretty unhappy about that realization. Reality sometimes SUCKS, don't it? :)

I realize this board's all about vaping, so for a person with bad lungs would a convection vape be the best to use? I've tried a couple vapes, one was a disposable pen and the other one is the original Arizer Air. Now I tried that one time, cleaned it and put it back in the box. It was too darn much trouble, I thought back five years ago. I just want a clean, odorless way to use. No fuss, no muss...nobody in the 'hood smelling my usage of a schedule one narcotic, even tho it's legal, that doesn't take away the stigma of cannabis use. Also, there are those who would love to follow their nose to the source of the sweet, skunky smell, and then STEAL if from you. There's that. No, I just want a private, clean, no fuss, no muss high. Is that too much to ask! Really.

Okay, i've talked waaaaaaaay too much. So I'll shut up now. Thanks again, everybody for the nice welcome. :peace:

Hippie

The bag will hold the stink if you leave enough room for expansion
And don't open it until it's cooled down

Another option is to do the decarb at the end
It's not possible with alcohol but other tinctures and infusions are OK at those temps.
Alcohol tincture will decarb at room temp but it takes about 2 months if I remember correctly.
You can speed things up with some heat tho and decarb it in about 3 days at 65 degrees C on a hotplate or cup warmer

Last edited:

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Another way to go is to out-smell it with something else:
I used to overcook a bag of microwave popcorn whenever decarbing and it always overpowered the weed smell.

Of course it takes a week to get rid of that smell, but none of my nosy neighbors were the wiser.

As far as using a vape - using water will help immensely - and contrary to what you may have heard, using hot water as opposed to cold will help moisturize throat quite a bit.
If you want some advice on water tools, let us know- can add plenty of suggestions if this interests you.

joupotu

I used to overcook a bag of microwave popcorn whenever decarbing and it always overpowered the weed smell.
Good idea. I had one guy tell me to burn toast. But I really trust nothing to hide or mask that distinctive smell.
I now fully realize that my underwater, sous vide-style of decarbing in a mason jar would not work. In fairness
to myself at the time, i was following instructions that said to decarb at a temp of about 205° F. But now I am
more informed and realize the temp must be at about 250° F for about an hour for max THC potency. Water
won't get any hotter than 212°, then it becomes steam.

Oh, I meant to ask you about your Spoiler: DSM-5 Diagnosis F4.2.0 VAS. I got a copy of DSM5, TOC and could
find nothing referencing that. Now i get 420, but not sure how that relates to the DSM. :)
...roasting bags, sealed with enough space to allow for the expansion in the oven
TY again, Hippie, that's a hella good idea, right there. So, with my proposed double, or even triple-bag method
what would allow enough space, I wonder? Would it be a bag filled with air, or a bag that had been vacuum sealed?
Because the decarb process draws gas off of the nugs, CO2, therefore filling a bag, so if the bag was already filled with
air, then the odor would tend to seep out, would it not? Ergo (don't u love "ergo") if the product were vacuum sealed
and the decarb released CO2, it would then inflate the already vacuum uninflated bag. I'm goin' outta my mind here. :science:

The beauty part, however, is that I know somebody to ask, who I am pretty sure knows, at graywolfslair.com.

Yanno, if the shit was legal, I could just go buy some decent stuff, but the way they've passed legislation on it, the stores
and dispos are all about making money and not QA. Stupid lawmakers, there oughtta be a law against 'em all.

I really like your idea, and will take it to the graywolf. He's there for us all, esp. med cannabis. What a saint. He really cares.

joupotu,
Reactions: Hippie

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Oh, I meant to ask you about your Spoiler: DSM-5 Diagnosis F4.2.0 VAS. I got a copy of DSM5, TOC and could
find nothing referencing that. Now i get 420, but not sure how that relates to the DSM. :)
Ha! Around these parts, many of us suffer from VAS (Vaporizer Acquisition Syndrome). While not currently a recognized diagnosis, it feels real enough to me to give it its own code :brow:
Closely related are GAS & TAS (Glass and/or Grinders, Torches) and I’m sure a few others I can’t recall.

darkstar72

Grind, freeze, shake in freezing everclear for 5 min, strain, repeat with a second cold everclear wash and strain, evaporate off/reduce with double boiler in rice cooker or use a 9x14 baking dish with fan (slower alcohol evaporation). Then seal reduced tincture in mason jar for at least four months for a natural decarb (store in a cool dark spot). Summary of pschodelic Sam's method from grass city forum. Could also bake in oven at 240 for 30 minutes after grinding but then you have the smell.

darkstar72,
Reactions: joupotu

joupotu

...evaporate off/reduce with double boiler in rice cooker or use a 9x14 baking dish with fan (slower alcohol evaporation). Then seal reduced tincture in mason jar for at least four months for a natural decarb (store in a cool dark spot). Summary of pschodelic Sam's method from grass city forum. Could also bake in oven at 240 for 30 minutes after grinding but then you have the smell.
Thanks darkstar, but i'm really fussy about the smell. Even evaporating would leave a smell, let alone using a rice cooker, which would leave an even stronger smell. I had read about this method, is it QWISO or QWET method? It might work too. Again, I'll ask the man, graywolf about these ideas. He's already helped me some. I'm such a neophyte at this. I've only attempted one decarb and two, tincture extractions (one from a pre-made extract of some honey or i think maybe it was a piece of shatter on which it said it had been pre-decarbed.) I really appreciate the help tho. :)

joupotu,

darkstar72

No need to reduce the tincture if using concentrate. Just dissolve and wait 4-6 months. But I understand that is tough or a long wait.

darkstar72,

Greenleaf88

Cheers welcome to FC, I can only offer what I do to cut down the smell but it doesn't completely work but cuts alot of the smell.
I just wrap my flower in alliminum foil lol it works somewhat.

Greenleaf88,

Hippie

Yes my info came from Graywolf - it's a shame his site is broken at the moment
You can find a lot of it on the internet archive waybackmachine tho

And yes you want to let the air out of the bag before you seal it and give it plenty of room for expansion.

Hippie,
  • Love

joupotu

VAS (Vaporizer Acquisition Syndrome). While not currently a recognized diagnosis, it feels real enough to me to give it its own code :brow:
Closely related are GAS & TAS (Glass and/or Grinder

"Broken/Out to Pasture: ... Solo, ... Arizer Air"
I have an Arizer Air, and don't they also make the solo? Anyway I tried the Air once, cleaned it and repacked it. Too much trouble. Did you like yours? I've heard complaints about those in regards to difficulties in cleaning them. I'm pretty fastidious about the smells. Seems not too many are as picky as I am. I am paranoid about the schedule one narcotic stigma and also about people who after walking by the house and smelling the pungent odor, might want to steal my stash.
Notable Accessories: ....Brilliant Cut Grinder,
Also, regarding your grinder (which I must look up). I got one that came free with my Arizer that i bought about 6 years ago. But the damn thing, nice tho it was, it was just teeny. It'd take 2 or 3 fills to get enough to roll a decent sized joint. So I finally got another one for $60.00 from the dispensary's satellite paraphernalia store. It's the Elements you see below:

elements-4-piece-grinder-56mm-1.jpg

I just took an old toothbrush to it, and put the kief in my nug jar. Then i q-tipped it with alcohol. Turns a little smoother now. Oh, and i was gonna say, I don't use the screen. Kief ain't goin' nowhere anyway, and all it'll do is clog the screen (more CLEANING to do, no ty). I just take the top half off and turn it upside down, grind away, dump on a paper, roll 'er up and smoke it.

Let's take a look at your Brilliant Grinder:
grinder-hero-colours.gif
Eww, it changes colors too. Wonder how they do that.:hmm:

Code:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2276/6299/products/elements-4-piece-grinder-56mm-1.jpg?v=1515813351
Oh, I like that Brilliant Grinder, "You can swap out the middle grinding plate to change your grind size in an instant." Fine, medium and coarse grind. Clever, very clever that one. And it is even faceted like the Hope Diamond. Fancee, baby. Basically same size as mine, with all the plates it's about double the price. I'll stick with mine awhile longer. Oh, and the site says they got one coming next year in stainless for like $250. Nice. :tup:

joupotu,
Reactions: Jill NYC

joupotu

Cheers welcome to FC, ... I just wrap my flower in alliminum foil lol it works somewhat.
Hey Greenleaf, thanks for the welks. Glad to be here, nice, and helpful type here. The foil thing'd never do for me. It works somewhat, but as you've probly read, I can have no smell, whatsoever. You know, I get a tube of cannabis from the store, and I'll put that tube inside a ziploc, and then all that stuff goes inside a briefcase. Just canNOT have my house smell at all! Way too finicky, I know, but hey, it's for me own piece of mind, yanno. :)

joupotu,

joupotu

Yes my info came from Graywolf - it's a shame his site is broken at the moment
You can find a lot of it on the internet archive waybackmachine tho
Yup, it's been down for i bet a couple months now. I just found his archived site on the waybackmachne last night. It is incomplete tho, looks like it only goes to 2020.

Boy he's really something isn't he? Not just smart with the science, but also a bit of a humanitarian, i'd say, wouldn't you? He really cares about getting ppl to feel better medicinally. You just got to admire ppl who do things like that. I find a lot of folks who make CBG/CBD really care about patients, even more than recreational. It's really admirable of them. :)

joupotu,

Hippie

I think they have backups up to about October 21
This is the piece I was referring to before

There's a few more methods detailed here, using vacuum seal bags and mason jars, that should keep the stink under control for you

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Wow, my signature was pretty outdated, just updated it, but need to tweak a little more.

Been a long time since I used any of my Arizer’s but the Solo was a favorite way back when. It is actually one of the easiest to maintain (along with any stem based vape) since the weed doesn’t really touch the oven (in theory - in reality bits will fall onto it here and there).

The Brilliant Grinder is an amazing tool - smoothest grinder around and rarely needs more than a quick brush out to clean (unlike many that start to quickly lock up and are difficult to turn). They often have 2nd quality available at cheaper prices - minimal scratches.

I also really like the Flowermill grinder (no teeth) that you can also switch out plates for different sized grinds.
But of course, if what you have works for you, no need to spend $$.

I am somewhat particular about smell as well. I bought an air purifier a few years back and blow the vapor in it’s general direction. Very happy with how quickly the smell dissipates with it. (Doesn’t work nearly as well with cooking/decarbing).

bobothevaper

Hi all. Nice forum here.

I'm new here, so ...... yeah, i want to figure out how to decarb with NO ODOR at all. and then make a tincture out of 190 proof Everclear.

To decarb I tried boiling a mason jar with a gram of nug in it, and the jar inside of a boiling bag. Then I mixed that
product in the Everclear and kept it in the freezer, shaking every so often. Did not work. I can't have any smells, none.
I need to make a strong tincture that gets me high. I have COPD and can't smoke hardly at all anymore. Thanks.
I use the sous vide (sous weed) method. No smell at all. Works great.

bobothevaper,
  • Wow

joupotu

This is the piece I was referring to before
Nice, the graywolf article, which i've read before, which was even ref'd to me by the man himself. Good find. TYVM

And the other article, Home Extraction by IchiBanCrafter, was one of the very best i've read. TY again, Hippie.
You are the bomb, baby. :) I really do appreciate your sticking with me on this topic, plus finding probably the
very best results I have yet to see on the entire interwebs. You're my go to guy. Excellent work to help me, ty so much.

:rockon:

What I liked about Home Extraction were the good pix, and good descriptions of how it worked and the ensuing
result of the process. Definitely a keeper, just like you are Hippie. :)

The following chart/graph is what is posted almost everywhere, and I think is first manifest in JD Ellis' legendary
graywolfslair:
Code:
graywolfslair: https://web.archive.org/web/20220819024647/https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/10-the-alchemist-resource/10-1-decarboxylation

Decarb_chart.jpg

-- 10-1-decarboxylation

It stated that the optimum time/temp for THC potency is like 60 mins at like 250 degrees.
I have the actual notes somewhere, but can't find 'em now. Be forewarned, I'm not giving up. TY again. :)

joupotu,
Reactions: Hippie

joupotu

I use the sous vide (sous weed) method. No smell at all. Works great.
Now i'm totally confused. No argument with you here, but just that i had read that you can't
boil or sous vide cannabis because the temp's too low. Or maybe I didn't read it right. Jeeze, am I confused!!!
Yanno, i did that already the first and only time I tried to decarb. I put the nug in a jug, capped
the mason jar, put that in a boil bag, and boiled it at 200 degrees for like 60 mins. It provided me
with absolutely no high. I was told that it would not decarb using that method. So I DO NOT KNOW!!! sorry.

joupotu,

Okla68

Now i'm totally confused. No argument with you here, but just that i had read that you can't
boil or sous vide cannabis because the temp's too low. Or maybe I didn't read it right. Jeeze, am I confused!!!
Yanno, i did that already the first and only time I tried to decarb. I put the nug in a jug, capped
the mason jar, put that in a boil bag, and boiled it at 200 degrees for like 60 mins. It provided me
with absolutely no high. I was told that it would not decarb using that method. So I DO NOT KNOW!!! sorry.
When I see the word Boil, I immediately think of water...boils at 212 F...NOT HOT ENOUGH....240F FOR 45 MINUTES! Ive done Flower, Resin and Rosin for consumption. The tricky part is figuring the dosage. Can be hit n miss..and that Miss can be Nothing or OMG, maybe I should have done less !!! UGH !!!! Since its legal in Oklahoma I do not worry about the smell, besides, I also have a grow tent whos exhaust vents into the room(cat box is in there also. My 1st grow of unknown bag seed became known as Catbox Kush!).
240F for 40+ minutes to Get you There !
Have Fun....

Okla68,

joupotu

Catbox Kush
:haw:

I used the word boil, didn't I? And at 200 degrees, it never did boil, could it have? No.
So, i didn't boil it, i cooked it. Cooked it for an hour, or was it longer, not sure I remember.
I just remember that a full eyedropper or was it two, or three, did not do the job, at all.
Your recipe, 240/40, could be the deal. But that was in an oven, and not in water, which
can't go above 212. I'm just going to have to use oven bags and try to bake it while still
controlling the smell, somehow, hopefully.

Yanno, the Catbox Kush reminds me of something i found the other day, I'll share ...:
"Wha's in this shit man?"
"Mostly Maui wowie."
"Yeah?"
"But it's got some Labrador in it."
"What's Labrador?"
"It's dog shit".
"What?"
"Yeah, my dog ate my stash man. Had it on the table, the little shit ate it."
"Yeah?"
"So I had to follow him around with a little baggie for three days before I got it back, really blew the dog's mind."
"You mean we're smoking dog shit, man!?"
Ed.: "Yeah man. Purdy good shit, huh?"
-- Cheech & Chong - Labrador
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTSLXwIjiQ
:spliff:

joupotu,
  • Haha
Reactions: Okla68

bobothevaper

This works for me. It’s not just the temp but also the duration of which the weed is heated. Plus the sealed sous vide bag will contain the smell. You can also do the infusion in the bag after the decarb.

Top Bottom